Forums > Other Toys > The official HOP juggling "I just learnt a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well, seeing as we are starting to take over the

"Offical HOP "I just learnt a new move" thread", I thought we should contain this bit just to jugglerisng and the throwing and dropping of balls, clubs, rings and other miscellaneous juggling props.

Today I mothered learning 441.

I had a few throws of 531 but only 1 catch. I think my 5 is too high.

Note for the mods: I DEMAND on behalf of the jugglers on this site, as has been done with the aforementioned "Poi moves thread", that this one is made a sticky thread.

Otherwise its just favouritism really....

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I would say yes, but I have been sooooo pants with getting videos made up (still not done the exploding firestaff vid either) that it might take me a while!

I'll see about getting the camera out next week sometime and getting some filming done, maybe, its about time I made a proper 3b vid. No promises though.

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

willow2xSILVER Member
KeepTheWorldSpinning Originator
49 posts

Posted:
so uhhh i have [43]23 nailed...
are there any tips for getting the takeouts for my bag of tricks?

also ive been tryna get 531 but im havin trouble with keepin my 3 low it ALWAYS near matches my 5 *head exploads*

KeepTheWorldSpinning with me =]

willow2xSILVER Member
49 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonYa, it is. Start with two in left hand, one in right. Throw two 5s with left (holding the one in right, hence 2), 1 with right, 5 with left.

It can be done continuously too, according to my simulator. tongue2

this is just the shower isnt it =/

willow2xSILVER Member
49 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MynciWell done dude, I got my best run of 4 ball mills this week. 41 catches

got any tips for some one thats jus getting to grips with it? i can do a run on one side cofortably then going up my right side it goes squiffy =[

mynci are you from poipoi too?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I'm on poi poi yes joined when we met their festival crew a few years ago.
remember that mills is the same hand movements with any number of balls I found the higher under the arm throw was what took the most work, keeping it from going too far forwards or hitting the other balls, once that started evening out may pattern got better. it's not perfect yet still a little too 3D, rather than flat, but getting there.I found slightly higher throws gave me the time to sort my hands out because your hands need to be quicker than 3 balls, but not too fast. As Mike 7 said the RHYTHYM is more important really.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Managed to qualify four balls asynch fountain on a couple occasions.

Still much happier with three. tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
So a friend of mine came up with an interesting 3 ball trick:

One ball is thrown over the top (so outside throws a la Tennis), the second is thrown as a U-ball and the third stays in the middle but swaps hands. He also came up with a variation using claws to catch the U-ball which looks much nicer. I will get some footage as soon as I can (which may be a while). smile

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
is the U-ball as in Mills mess under the arm throw from the opposite side to the opposite hand? ie left hand under right arm straight up and caught in right hand...

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Yeah. The effect is of the middle ball staying where it is (roughly) with the other two moving back and forth over and under it, but with one permanently above and the other below.

I have a suspicion that it is merely a variation on Mills mess, but if you claw the catch on the U-ball it looks quite different and cool.

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
That sounds interesting, I'll have a play tonight smile

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Sounds like it could be 423 mills.

Although I have no clue what I'm actually talking about.

Juggle 'til I drop!

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
So, I know I'm not making progress as insanely as some people *cough* mike7 *cough* hehe, but ANYHOW....

7531 finally feeling good. Around 30 catches of 5 ball. Qualify of 5 ball half-shower. 4 ball shower and half-shower coming along slowly. 633 Coming along....

Now... the one I've been having some trouble with.... 534.... WTF? I can 53445344 until the cows come home on either side (though it's a little sloppy on one side), but I can't seem to connect into 534. I even tried working on 5344453444 *sigh* Stupid pattern anyway... =P =)

Me and my friend have been discussing a pattern recently, it's a High Half-Shower going one way with a shower going the opposite direction underneath, with 4 balls. I beleive We worked it out to something like.... 4x,6x,4x,2x. He wanted to call it 3531, but that's a 3 ball pattern, so I just fudged the numbers a bit to make it work mathematically. Try it out!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Mike7: I do not think it is, I can do that and this feels very different. This is a rough approximation of it:

Animation.

It feels quite natural, but I doubt it is overly new. If the U-Ball is clawed, it looks a lot better.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Aston: Seeing that pattern, I can tell you exactly what the siteswap is....

That is all.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
I knew that. tongue2

Was just saying that a friend of mine came up with something cool looking. Grant a couple newbies their kicks. *grinne*

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
nearly qualifying 3 club wall plane shower...

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Wall plane throws are weird.

aston, I reckon that trick is just mills mess 3 with the middle ball made to go straight up and down. Unless the actual trick is quite a bit diferent to the animation.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... wait, no, I think it's time reverse mills mess... I think. Possibly.

Edit: meshunderlay, that (6x,4x)(2x,4x) is cool and has literally a bajillion variations which are also cool. Do some of them now!!
EDITED_BY: MiKe7 (1253772385)

Juggle 'til I drop!

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Yeah, wall plane IS weird, I've been trying for a wall plane half-shower, and wall plane reverse cascade but... *shrug* well, it's still a work in progress.

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
WOOT!

Flashed a 7b shower! Well, sort of... Started with 4 in the right hand and 3 in the left, ended up the same. Guess to get a proper flash I'd have to start with 1 in the right and 6 in the left.

Still pleased though tongue2

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Awesome work. smile

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
very nice! i remember the one time i flashed a seven ball cascade. was amazing.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
I believe Gatto starts (or he used to, back in 1989) his 6 ball shower with 5 in one hand, 1 in the other, and throwing the one straight up to the same hand before going into the pattern. multiplexes do me fine on the 6 ball shower, never tried a 7 ball shower (which is just stupid)

81475 is a good siteswap to learn, if you fancy a challenge.

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Actually, stating with 1 ball in the 'dominant' hand and the rest in the other hand sounds like a sensible way to flash a shower pattern, since each '1' is actually thrown.

Can I get some entry/exit throws on that 81475?

Nevermind, (6)75814(4) right?

Edit: I reckon 66814 is probably easier so I might give that a go first.
EDITED_BY: MiKe7 (1254908017)

Juggle 'til I drop!

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
So I've been thinking about putting together a routine of sorts. Not necessarily anything artistic or stage worthy, basically just some sequences of moves that I can nail 98.5% of the time - something to practice and feel good about accomplishing with minimal drops.

But I'm having a tough time limiting myself. Whenever I start a practice session with the intention of creating an achievable and repeatable sequence I end up going off on tangents and it becomes just like a normal practice session - always trying to stretch my limits instead of stringing together what I already know.

I think I'm going to try just writing down some mid-length sequences of moves and sticking to them letter for letter when I practice. Maybe I'll post some of them up when I get around to it. smile

Soooo, suggestions, personal experiences with formulating a routine/ performable sequence of tricks, ideas, anything at all?

Edit: Actually, I'll post up some of the stuff I did manage to get down on paper one session and maybe you guys can have a play around with it like fridge magnets or another metaphor for rearranging something.

Okay, here's just what I have scrawled in my notebook:

83382233 pirouette

5 cascade - 3up pirouette - 5 cascade - btb catch finish

6 ball multiplex run.
[33] -> [44x] -> (4,4)([44],[44],) <-> (6,6)
[33] -> [54] -> 44[44][44] <-> 6

7 ball triplexes -> 1 high into 7 cascade

5 ball splits (-> 2up pirouette ->) 1 high 2 low into (6x,4)* -> (8x,4)(4,4) or synch half shower.

4 ball shower run.
high low
2up pass
2up pirouette
connected both sides showers + extended box
shower while turning in a circle?
other synch tricks - (6,4x)(2x,4)* with 2up pirou inserts.

Yeaaah, I couldn't really write up all the connections I made because I wrote some of them as weird little flow charts. Also, most of it is slightly too demanding to be running super comfortably (y'see I get carried away).

I also play a lot with 4 and 5 ball ground state siteswaps and some excited 4 ball swaps. That session I probably did a lot of 645, 744, 8444, 94444, 97531, 64, 77731 etc. and trying to chain some of them together. Similarly with 4 ball swaps.

As for three ball stuff I can't really do anything especially difficult or out of the ordinary so any three ball routine I put together would most likely look a bit bland, although I have been working a little bit on penguin catches and odd little stalls and behind-the-back passes and things so maybe I'll get creative and cook something up.

So, yah, advices/ideas/general input would be muchly appreciated.
EDITED_BY: MiKe7 (1256613862)

Juggle 'til I drop!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
None from me, still learning stuff.

Have been playing with multiplex throws, after seeing a claymotion vid which looked like it was interesting. smile

Shower is getting there, slowly. Probably my right hand would be easier, but am working on the LH version first.

james95PLATINUM Member
1 post

Posted:
Yes!! finaly!! I can do an airwrap!!
Trying to do a fountain now doesn't look to hard:) Maybe I spoke to soon:)

www.worldofpoi.co.uk

Life is too short to blend in!!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Um.... This is the juggling section.

Try the beginner's section for the poi version of this thread (it is stickied). smile

Well done though. I remember airwraps and hyperloops giving me hell when I first learned them.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
9 (18) catches of (6x4)(4x6) woo! smile

"Don't do it naked!"

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I threw something under club swinging, that I think could fit here, well, actually, it's not a move learnt yet, it's a move in the process of being processed... *shrug* 3-beat weave with clubs while juggling? I cannot figure it out, I just end up doing take outs or like reverse chops. Any ideas? Haven't seen a tutorial for it.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I can do a 3 beat weave with poi whilst juggling 3 balls. It's done with mikes mess with a high under throw, dunno if that will translate to what you're trying to do.

Page: ......