KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Has anyone read any of the "amber books" (The Great Book of Amber, Nine Princes in Amber, Guns of Avalon, Sign of the Unicorn, etc, etc.) I'm really looking for someone who has, and maybe someone with some insight, because they've been really interesting.

I currently own a copy of the great book (all the stories the author wrote before he died of cancer) with the inscription "when life drives distance between us, may you always find the glimpse of me you once saw in these pages"). Its complicated to explain much about the person who gave me this book except that there is something of Amber in him, and its mostly very confusing.

In any event, the books themselves (particuarly the first five) are quite good and quite an intrigue, so anyone with some thoughts, or who will at least tell me they've read this book, I'd like to open up some chat smile

hug

Kyri

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I enjoyed the books, but since everyone sees himself differently than anybody else does its possible that the person who gave the book to you read something in it that resonated for him.

Raph

orkossmember
28 posts

Posted:
ey, what kind of books are those?? what are they about??

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
Sort of Fantasy, but without orcs. Thers magic and stuff.

It's so weird that Kyrian put this post up. I read the first 5 Amber books about 20 years ago and enjoyed them.
Then, just a couple of days ago I stumbled upon something on the net that told me there were 5 more! Since then I have been thinking I should read them.
Spooky coincidence or what.

By the way, I also found out that there are whole sites dedicated to the Amber books. I found a couple when I was trying to find out about the one I havn't read. Maybe you would find people on one of them who can talk to you about them.
It's been so long I can't really remember enough.
Also someone has taken it upon them selves to write a prelude to the Amber books, Why I don't know. I wouldn't be happy if I was Zelazny. )Of course he's dead, so I don't suppose he has an opinion anymore)
However, you'd think copyright should count for something.

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Hey there, thanks for thoughts. The guy did mention that he saw something of himself in it as well, but he's only less articulate about it. Its just such an interesting link. I've looked around some of the sites devoted to it, just havn't found a place taht "rings" yet, yknow?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
Well, If I do ever get round to reading them again (and the 'new ones' I havn't read) I will gladly talk about them to you.

It's just I don't remember enough. One guy had a silver arm and the main man grew his eyes back and there was a fight on a long staircase. And it had Tarot cards.
I remember I liked them.
shrug

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Very good books indeed, read the first set years and years ago and then bought the big book last year. Definitely some of the best fantasy out there, very clever and interesting without being cheesy.

I'm going to get my girlfriend to read them, she doesn't like fantasy but hopefully she'll like these wink

"Moo," said the happy cow.