Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > the definitive contact thread....???

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
well, im over halfway through going through every contact thread every made on HoP, and on the way to organising all the links in one convenient thread for everyone from newbies to gods.

why?
when i was living in newcastle [Oz] for 6 months - being the only member of the fire crew with regular computer access [bloody hippies!] and the only wierdo trying to learn contact staff i became pretty familiar with all the threads and vids.

but while im still editing and compiliing all the info - i figured id better check - is anyone else doing this at the moment?

theres so much info to go through!

well. i should have sorted through everything my the weekend so the update links list should be there then.

cheers,
ed.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yep, im doing it, single and doubles contact. In fact i think im done... though its not links... i copied out all the stuff i found and am organising it into sort of book for printing and taking home....

this is not to be confused with actually being able to do the moves...

I've also compiled

basic terminology

throws

combinations

footwork

and other fun stuff.

im not finished editing yet. all i am missing is a section on basic double staff (non contact so to speak)

i'd be happy to compare notes and send you what i have... i didnt go through the old board....

its fifty pages in a word doc.... so far....

biggrin
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1095874784)

Love is the law.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
50 pages???

well, im only compiling the actual links and brief review of whats in each thread. anyway, im going to bed now, but will post a rough draft of my thread here tomoro and we can compare notes.

cheers.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
good luck to both of you smile

[Old link] that you almost certainly knew about already

Written by: ado-p

all i am missing is a section on basic double staff

i started trying to do this a while back, then realised quite what an enormous job it was, and consequently how much less i understood than i thought i did, and stopped.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the link simian, i did have a good look in there. Its one of the best threads of the lot.... reason... headings... ubblol

and i know how you feel, i reckon i can do about 5-10% of the entire collection of posts. If even that. I guess basic is maybe the wrong word smile

As soon as i finish editing i'll be able to get back to spinning.... skies the limit.....

Love is the law.

3,149 posts

Posted:
*taps foot impatiently*
Well, Mr Dentrassi?
i'm waiiiiiting...
smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
both of these projects are VERY worthy. Much good spinny karma is coming your way guys smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
smile

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
well its almost done. im presently getting extremely irritated with ubb code which has suddenly decided to ignore all the url links...grr.....

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Can I make a list of every move I know, have seen, or drool over? Can i can i can i can i can i????????????

Oh well. I think I did anyway. That's a lot of moves. Now I just have to write explainations....

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
wanna swap lists im writing em down as i learn new tricks, lots to go as far as explaination writing goes, i figure in about 2-3 years ill have finished it

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

MayhemBRONZE Member
stick boy!
117 posts

Posted:
wouldnt it be easier to just make a vid and show it? youre good at that anyway meg! biggrin

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I'm happy to send anyone what i have, expseshily if they want to help me finish completing it....

dont want to post it yet though, it needs more moves.

dentrassi, I sent it to you.... any feedback?

Love is the law.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
if you want to send a copy to benjobia at yahoo dot com dot au ill give ya some feedback

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Goddanm it's a lot of work. I've only go basic descriptions of the steve, matrix, and snes families... And I keep thinking of new moves as I go, and ones I forgot to include... Phew...

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
copy of progress winging its way to you both.

work has completly halted due to being completly submerged in dentrassi's contact collection

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
sweeet...

I've become shellshocked by the size of the Halo and Elbow families...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
this seems good.

I say: COLLABORATE!

Shall we guys?

I also say: .RTF / .PDF / .TEX / .HTML but NOT .DOC!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
hmmm... its easy what i did - just find the links and leave it at that.
actually writing stuff up is an entirely different and altogether much more complicated task.

im afraid i havent had time to read through your epic doc. yet ado, but ill get to it soon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

I also say: .RTF / .PDF / .TEX / .HTML but NOT .DOC!

redface

my bad

Yay for Collaboration!!!!!

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I should let ya'll know that my idea is along the lines of dentrassi's

All info in said doc was written by staffers for staffers...i.e.... not me smile

Love is the law.

3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

I've become shellshocked by the size of the Halo and Elbow families...

it gets MUCH smaller if you think in terms of describing the individual types of transition you can do, rather than in terms of whole contact moves

theres only a limited number of things you can do in a halfspin of a staff

umm, not sure i explained that very well... do you get me?

But anyways, i reckon writing out moves in text is a pain in the arse and prone to misinterpretation. if you're gonna try and do an exhaustive thingummy of staff moves you want pictures\vids to make it worth it.

on the other hand...
i've been "planning" my Incredible And Awesome Staff Comic Book for about a year.
and i still haven't actually gotten off my ass to start the 48 illustrations i'll need just to depict a figure eight\doublespin\triplespin yet.
its a lot of work...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
My way is more work true. But it is designed for newbies and completeness.

You're way is good, and quite zen. I will try and think about how I would do it, cos that's what's stopping me at the moment. (Not having thought enough about your way.) I think it would also be a good way to notate staff moves. But notations are for geek or people who are really bored, and I'm not that bored yet.

I do get you more now. I like it. I'm considering doing it....

And yes, it is a pain in the arse. But I'm sure it will help someone, and cross-linked with other peoples descriptions (Thanks ado-p) and my videos of moves it will not be sooo bad I think.

hug

Plus, Ben: are you writing descriptions? send them to me... go on? I wanna see if you have a better style of description. (it wouldn't be hard.)

biggrin hug ubbloco ubbrollsmile

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
im a bad monkey and forgot to add it to my usb key i can sent u my update report of my study if u want ubbloco ive written a few discriptions see poi in the parks tutorial site

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
poiinthepark is a bit buggered.

You are a bad monkey! I don't think i would understand you're report or if I did, my eyes would explode, and I like my eyes...

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
no its not.
explain yourself megnog.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
oh well,was when I checked it.Had a go to talk to your hosting people cos they forgot to pay sign up....

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Feedback appreciated... Will continue, finish all move descriptions then post as separate thread.... Also availible as pdf...

this is only availbe as

PDF,

RTF,

or anything else that looks nice that people can view.
EDITED_BY: mcp (1096888142)

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
bloody hell Meg!
that really is the definitive contact post!
well done luv smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Im even more gob smacked than i was the last time....

well done meg...

clap

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Christ, I don't even do staff and I'm impressed...
fair play
biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

Page: