Forums > Videos > Are videos Changing?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:

Am I the only one noticing a change in the style of videos being produced?

When I joined over a yr ago now (how sad is that?) the first set of videos that I downloaded were the small boy videos, and the spinning in Paris ones, and lots from poi in the park, like user9, rubbish, and how to!

These were all very wicked and very much still some of my favourite videos, but recently I have noticed that videos now are more leaning towards teaching, and people showing special move patterns, or individual moves, over the kind of multi spinners at a party, or a park kind of video –

An example me again ben-ja-men – cos I know he hates me, so it’s a good chance for a quick poke ( wink love you ben) I released the NIPP 2004 video, a video to show some of the class spinning from a house party in the summer, this being the style of video I prefer to produce, and ben released the secrets of London video, a very tech based teaching video.

Maybe im just being stupid, but are people moving away from event videos more to teaching videos, and forgetting about movement,

I’m not worried, and I don’t mean to have a go at anyone, pleases forgive me if this come out wrong, but I’m just curious, I don’t mean to stunt any one from producing and releasing a video, in fact go get the king of bongos video, its funny and full of nice things, but I’m wondering……

Step (el-nombrie)

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmmmm ubbloco

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
nutter!

Step (el-nombrie)

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i was gonna say wot meg said first til i saw she'd said it. so maybe it does make sense... although i wouldn't trust my judgement cos i fink even mech's talking sense now.... smile

and didn't the end of the world begin with the start? or is that not really relevant? umm

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

editing may not give an accurate representation of a spinner but at the end of the day, who wants to spend time downloading and watching drops/mistakes unless they are entertaining in themselves?

well it's not like me to argue for the sake of it wink

but...

one of my favourite vids is ben-ja-men's one made up almost entirely of impressive staff drops

i'd link if i knew where it was...

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

3,149 posts

Posted:
hmm, although they were edited together very nicely, so i guess i'm kinda agreeing with you too
confused

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
"ben-ja-men's one made up almost entirely of impressive staff drops"

so 'they are entertaining in themselves' i reckon.

i like arguing with you simian, especially when we're on the same side wink

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

whyBRONZE Member
not _Y_
720 posts

Posted:
Written by: duballstar

and didn't the end of the world begin with the start? or is that not really relevant? umm

Not too relevant, but yes, the start of the end began just after the start. I was refering to the more Nostradamus-esque "end of the world is NIGH"... who knows, there may be no more existance, as we know it, next week.

my tuppence on the topic:

as long as the descriptions are clear as to what to expect... people can find what they're looking for, I'd have thought?

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

Written by: coleman

meg makes lots of sense.
we should listen to her more...

eek

WTF?

Hey even a crack smoking clock is right twice a day. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

whyBRONZE Member
not _Y_
720 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Hey even a crack smoking clock is right twice a day. wink

unless it was digital meditate

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
True - unless it was a cheap digital watch which didn't have a PM indicator or wasn't 24 hour...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Digital clocks don't smoke crack. You should know that.

Do a search.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
*ahem*

unless it IS digital. Was is in past tense wink

....so anyway, I was reading this thread and now I've totally lost the plot so I'll type aimlessly till something makes half assed sense.

firstly tho

Written by: Step

Nicking someone elses moves

The most (and pretty much only) annoying thing about how you talk of poi and staff Step is the "ownership" of moves, nobody owns moves and thus they can't be nicked. I do a 5 bt cuz I saw someone do it and thought it was cool, I do butterfly/TTN for the same reasons. I mustered up enough brain power to create gilligans, one handed and contact moves without ever seeing them before and later found that others do them too. That helped me develop them even more so I could beven happier. Yet I don't own them, and if someone saw me do it and copied I'd be flattered as hell that they liked it enough to want to learn how, be it a 3bt weave or 6bt hyperloop UTL toss into backwards BTB one handed weave. I think the less emphasis and ego placed on who has what moves like "rob moves" or "ben moves" the better, if my imagination gave me a move no-one had seen and I heard someone call it a "Dunc move" it'd really upset me.

[/minirant] I still love you of course tho Step hug

So on subject (I told you I'd just type aimlessly wink) I love all the videos but some to more degrees than others, some are basic and lovely, some are boring yet very techy techy and inspiring and the rest are somewhere in between, I site rev's mini moves vids as high on that list of techy but broing to watch after two or three goes but very VERY useful and inspiring too even if the moves aren't totally clean yet. Infact I wish I'd seen him doing a normal proper spin video cuz it's a shame they don't seem to be about.

Vids like Another Eezy Sunday (and especially part II) rank amongst my favourite as someone said above they make you feel like you're there watching it happen, they don't feel like they're just a film on a pc monitor. Clever high quality editing + lots of love spread ontop for good measure biggrin IMO Spinning vids aren't just about the spinning, they can be about the scene, the people, the moves, the fire, pretty patterns at night, new toys, old toys, famliar faces, new faces, styles and techniques in whichever and whatever form the editor can muster.

And as to "are videos changing" yes and no, yes cuz more people have access to the cheaper high quality equipment available today so more unique styles arise and no, it's just we haven't reached the full potential of videos quite yet. So long as folk keep making them I'm happy, it gives my PC something to do other than surf HoP. And one day if I get an afternoon with a camera by myself I might even make one!

l8rs people wave

grouphug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: Custom Bug

firstly tho

Written by: Step

Nicking someone elses moves

The most (and pretty much only) annoying thing about how you talk of poi and staff Step is the "ownership" of moves, nobody owns moves and thus they can't be nicked. I do a 5 bt cuz I saw someone do it and thought it was cool, I do butterfly/TTN for the same reasons. I mustered up enough brain power to create gilligans, one handed and contact moves without ever seeing them before and later found that others do them too. That helped me develop them even more so I could beven happier. Yet I don't own them, and if someone saw me do it and copied I'd be flattered as hell that they liked it enough to want to learn how, be it a 3bt weave or 6bt hyperloop UTL toss into backwards BTB one handed weave. I think the less emphasis and ego placed on who has what moves like "rob moves" or "ben moves" the better, if my imagination gave me a move no-one had seen and I heard someone call it a "Dunc move" it'd really upset me.

[/minirant] I still love you of course tho Step hug

bug i have explained this point to you further, i have told you why i use teh term stole moves, i dont mean
"OMG you stole my btw!*

i mean when ppl copy move for move, a routine, or move for move a performance peice, and it has started to happen more and more of late, i have many exmples, but better discussed in person when i can show you...

if i didnt belive in move sharing mate, i wouldnt be anywere i am atm, i lean from other over vods (mainly cos its easier for me), and while i do get what you are saying, i do undrestand how it can com eacross that way, but tahts not what im saying

edu vids are great if you can use them, but I HATE when ppl steal whole routines, and styles form teh vids!

ps bug i love you to hug

Step (el-nombrie)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Written by: Custom Bug

*ahem*

unless it IS digital. Was is in past tense wink

It was meant to be meant in the past tense - the watch died from smoking too much crack tongue

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

well it's not like me to argue for the sake of it wink

well aren't we two peas in a pod.. lolsign

I have to agree with a bit of Josh and a bit of Coleman... editing does lead to false impressions.. But I think that has to come mroe as an understood, then a ... I mean... I don't want to sit and really watch someone goof again and again.. It can be amusing sometimes (Just watching the oops-I-messed-up face..), but for the most part it detracts a bit from the spin.. I'm sure there are other people in my boat that have the problem where you wanna show someone this neat thing, and it takes you a couple of tries to get it.. yes, people can and are patient, but for the most part it is very frustrating on BOTH ends.. Maybe I'm too bent on perfection, but I'd say nay.. I'm not asking for perfection, I'm jsut asking for it to flow you know.. you can flow through a trick without getting it perfect..

and when it comes to a matter of editing out stuff, I think that only needs happen for in-the-moment spinning.. because a choreographed piece can be drilled over and over again until its comeplete start to finish wiht minimal flaws (if any) where as the in-the-moment still gets those whoopsies..

as far as vids go though, maybe I've got too much pride or whatever, but I don't like being bored.. I make clips to go side by side with stuff in threads.. they are small.. easily accessible.. and given a watch 2 or 3 times, really expunge their usefulness (kinda like the posts in the threads themselves..) but when I think of vids I think of something that shouldn't be that boring... these are things that areinherently larger files and thus will take some time for some people (thinking of my dialup peeps) to d/l and thus needs to be worth the forever that its going to take to download, and in that respect I don't feel like I've gotten that far.. I say that because when I watch videos like morning coffee or devilishly yers, i don't watch for moves.. I watch it for the only two things I think you ever need learn (subsequently two things I'm not good at): control and movement.. at that point its less about what you spin and more about how you spin.. and watching someone with great control and movement, to me at least, is much more interesting to watch then some one cutting between flashy moves..

that's while I'll keep making 'clips' for educational purposes and keep downloading 'vids' to watch..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
I also agree w mcp! way too much thinking going on!
To satisfy everyone I do have a fun and frolicks (aka community) vid coming out soon w loadsa people havin fun playing like crazy (T&B, Medyr and more). Funnily enough thats actually how i got into making the current vid! (teehee, having random technology within my grasp means i just have to play with it!) although if you weren't there you might not find it that interesting... which is what i find w a lot of the so called party or fire-meet vids.

Would like to point out that my vid's not about style, movement or flowiness (all of which I agree are essential to good spinning- which the vid is not) its actually meant to be different ideas (thus the appropriate name) on what can be done for others (mainly peeps in madrid) to learn and improve on, just thought others would like it too.
My hope is that next time i see psi/bluecat/T&B they'll have liked some of the rough ideas i have tried to get (and ended up failing in most cases), perfected them and made improvements for me to learn! (hint hint guys biggrin)

my conclusion- if people don't like my vid they don't have to watch it again, my apologies for wasted download time! (or not, only sorry for those of who have dialups, cos they suck!)
vive la liberte! (et pas le "whingeing sur les choses qui ne sont pas come tu veux" et qui ne sont pas importantes)

cheers,
Ben

PS Rev I personally hate having to download tons of little clips of individual moves varying only slightly from one another which is what the doubles part of my vid is like!
PPS as for the editing- well, it isnt really. Much respect to people who do spend hours making things look nice and smooth, but I reckon a record 3 hours was spent on mine in total from getting the stuff onto computer, re-learning how to use premiere, deciding what to throw away (which was smooth, is more my style and fairly common moves as well as a million and one drops) and my random idea of getting a nightshot in at the end!

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
"Rev I personally hate having to download tons of little clips of individual moves varying only slightly from one another which is what the doubles part of my vid is like!"

I do that because each of the little clips present key parts of a description.. you only need download the parts you dont understand and experienced people should only need to download the final clip (if any at all) to follow what's going on... *shrug*

3,149 posts

Posted:
i like videos of all lengths

but my dialup connection likes Revs videos the best

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
There is science behind making good videos and unless youre filming a full routine straight through or you happen to be infalible, it requires editing. A good video is like a book. It has to have a beginning, middle, and end. It has to get your attention, keep it, and leave you wanting more. Showing repeated drops and screw ups gives people time to think, which is a bad thing in this case. They'll start to think about the move you just did before you dropped your poi, go off and try it themselves leaving your video to loop endlessly on their PC while they have their own fun.

As for community vs technical vids, I think this relates very much to the hippy vs geek debate. The hippy spinners enjoy fire spinning for the community it attracts and the people they meet in their bare footed travels. The community videos remind them of their own fire groups and therefore make them happy. Geeks like the tech vids because it gives them more things to learn, inspiration to get better, and a sense of how their own skills are progressing in comparison to others in the community.

To each their own I say. Each video posted on this site is a work of art and an attempt to give back to the community in my opinion. As long as the artist who made the video is happy, thats all that counts.

And for the record, Im a tech vid fan myself as you can probably tell from the ones Ive made. I still have a small spot in my heart for the community though and since Ive read this thread, I put together my first community vid which I just posted in my vid archive.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
We have actually gone that extra few inches and subdivided the videos on our own website into the following categories:
Production Videos - videos made with a plan in mind, to entertain the viewer
Performance Videos - videos that just show us spinning, at shows or otherwise
Individual and Exhibition - educational or just plain showing off smile

I think it really helps let the downloader know what sort of video they're going to be watching, but it's also a good idea for a spinner (or group of spinners) to produce all three styles of video in order to be well-rounded and appeal to all the types of viewers. That way you don't fall into the overly-technical or overly-showy categories mentioned above.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Rev- that's fair enough, i just like to see the whole progression whether i get it or not, usually i find people's descriptions lacking, i guess its a matter of personal opinion (as most things are!) rolleyes

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Ben- well the idea being that if they are all in one vid, how can you read the paragraphs and such AND watch the video... you know.. I got the idea from matt (poipoipoi) who wanted epople to get one spherc and be able to have a window with the clip and the window with the thread side by side...
if you really wanted to watch the whole progression too, most all of mine are wmv... which means your probbaly using media player.. which means you can use the playlist option... and they play back to back wink

another thing I've been thinking of doing..I got from Kael... and that was going over the vid clips and adding audio fo me explaining and/or critiquing the clip.. this is what i should of done or maybe this is what I meant to do etc.. I think that was alos a great idea... but all of this is just for the educational 'clips' I think.. (although the critiques might help in longer single person spins as well (or technical group type stuff that goes person by person) but that's probably just preference, but I'm one that watches the commentary on dvds...)

but I've said it before and I'll say it again.. when it comes to watching stuff.. I love vids.. not clips. and its for many of the reasons icon listed.. Because whether or not you choreograph whats one the screen doesnt matter so much as the choreogrpahy that goes into the editing, fading, and overall presentation..

I've always said that vids are like spinning fire.. you do it when your ready.. and I for one, am just not ready..

thetorchnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Gotta say, we got a definate learning curve on the filming with my DVcam. Editing does take a long time, and its not so much aiming for 'false perfection' as to take out the crappy bits that are out of focus, or folks droppin handles, or idiots walking in front of the camera. Although its taking longer to implement than originally planned, we are planning to make combo type videos, both instructional with practice heads, and a fire demo of the same move. In addition to the usual gathering-for-fun compilations and artistic type vids. I like to make all those types because I like to watch all those types. All of them are good for learning about different tecniques and aspects of poi.

Always go through life a little bit hungry, you never know when you'll run into someting edible........ And by the way, there is no spoon.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
yes yes they are. i think ull find if u look at anyone who has produced multiple videos their style changes. i know that i like to add in injoke type things for ppl i know but i also like a video to show how to do stuff as its a great way to share.

just a pre emptive get your tastebuds a tingling ah rubbish itll get lost on here ill start a new thread.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
dude - I can appreciate artistic video. when I worked in a job with broadband I used to download loads of purely artistic vids (non-fire). I love interesting video editing. I was just saying that's what I like / do not like about fire twirling videos that I have seen.

With fire twirling I appreciate the live performance, and I like the vid to reflect that. most of the time I think the editing presents a different version. and as for the drops and stuff being cut out cuz their boring. I agree. however I think it also gets boring to watch someone practice the same move and fail over and over in real life. but this is the problem I have with a lot of the technical style twirling. but thats a different debate from a long long time ago, and I dont really want to go there.

so yeah - it comes down to opinion. I'm sorry if I offended any budding video artists out there.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
does it really matter?

Why are you guys even discussing this?

All video's different. I like the variety. Subdividing is silly. This is my opinion on the new moves thing too! confused shrug

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: DeepSoulSheep

Why are you guys even discussing this?

we're booooored... rolleyes

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Sorry! I know my new video's taking a while, but why not go out and practise while you're waiting for it? wink

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
because i'm at work.

cheers meg tongue

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
soo?

Spin break! ubbidea

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Page: