Forums > Videos > Are videos Changing?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:

Am I the only one noticing a change in the style of videos being produced?

When I joined over a yr ago now (how sad is that?) the first set of videos that I downloaded were the small boy videos, and the spinning in Paris ones, and lots from poi in the park, like user9, rubbish, and how to!

These were all very wicked and very much still some of my favourite videos, but recently I have noticed that videos now are more leaning towards teaching, and people showing special move patterns, or individual moves, over the kind of multi spinners at a party, or a park kind of video –

An example me again ben-ja-men – cos I know he hates me, so it’s a good chance for a quick poke ( wink love you ben) I released the NIPP 2004 video, a video to show some of the class spinning from a house party in the summer, this being the style of video I prefer to produce, and ben released the secrets of London video, a very tech based teaching video.

Maybe im just being stupid, but are people moving away from event videos more to teaching videos, and forgetting about movement,

I’m not worried, and I don’t mean to have a go at anyone, pleases forgive me if this come out wrong, but I’m just curious, I don’t mean to stunt any one from producing and releasing a video, in fact go get the king of bongos video, its funny and full of nice things, but I’m wondering……

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i think that about a year or so ago many people's criticisms here were, although seeing people spinning and having fun at parties is great, the environment (dark surroundings, sometimes crowded) often means its very hard to learn from these videos.

and learning from the videos is one of the major reasons people download them.

quite a few requests were made for daytime stuff and people responded is all that's happened i think.

the rubber heart duo's video is one of the best i've seen lately (and quite easily my favourtie sticks video to date).

well produced and edited, clear demonstrations of the (awesome) tricks, lovely locations and a bit of fun too.

its funny cos i would say 'how to' was one of the videos that i preferred for this reason whereas you site it as one in the same vain as the party vids.

keep making the videos you want to mech - i watch them all and variety is what keeps people interested smile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
definitely agree w both of you, i think its just a matter of different people making different style videos, mine for example is aimed at showing people ideas that would take me a million words to describe (and still wouldn't get it right) so decided to just make a vid of it (and then got carried away with silliness biggrin )
my thoughts are- let people make all the vids they want- the more the better, and then natural selection will ensure the survival of the fittest when hard disk space runs out! wink

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I don't think they're changing, I just think they're expanding.

We still get "Pretty" (for want of a better word) videos but we now get "Teachy" videos too.

Perhaps, the teaching ones are just more abundant as they're shorter so can be filmed, edited, compressed, uploaded and downloaded much faster than editing 3 hours of a nights' spinning. But as King of Bongo mentioned (in a roundabout way wink ) it's also much easier to learn from videos than reams of text.

Might there be cause enough to have 2 video sections? Moves and Movies? smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
im sorry, i didnt mean that i was against edu videos, i honestly do love the edu one, like durds your nearly contact vid, was well cool, and i still watch it, (i think its going to play on my list in about 10 mins), but for some reason i find most of the edu ones, i seem to zone out more

i think it is personal taste, and as cole or anyone who has seen me spin a edu vid will be the only vid i never produce, i think party the reason why i dont love edu vids is that so man ppl now are ripping off other styles, that it does kind of annoy me when it happens to a really good spinner....

no offence mean

i knwo learning tricks of someone is exactly teh same on a vod as it is in person, but its those ppl who totlay rip off a style in a vid also that is the annoying part!

cole i can see what you mean about how to being a teaching vid, but i have always sort of taken it as blue and pk showing off what they can do and having a play, much on eth same level as teh houseparty vod of small's, (which has some loverly poi and juggling in it btw)

hmm maybe i should go and lock myself away and think about things less?

Step (el-nombrie)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Its definatly teaching season at the moment, which is great, who know's maybe in a month or two the parties will start to appear online again too.

I've been trying to divide the clips up into folders liike poi/staff/etc and then tutorial/show/fun stuff etc. Its consistantly the clear tutorial type vids i keep going back to though....

Maybe the next step is a tutorial style vid that follows in to a fun firey demo of the new moves...

*wishes he had a camera*

Mucho respect to all you folks investing time in recording and editing.
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1095689331)

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
I hear ya Mech,

But as coleman said, people download them to learn, with footage is of "gatherings" its nice to get some well lit footage so you can see whats going on / what a person is doing rather than a scene of 20 spinners where you cant really focus properly on any of them.

But then that all depends again on the type of vid your trying to put together because in my eyes there are two types of vids, a "techy moves type one" and a "community - peeps having spinny related stupid fun ubbloco"

If you can combine both of these elements into one then i think youve got it nailed smile

After doing a few vids myself i have found that i start out with a "type" of vid in mind, when its finished its nothing like i originally wanted it to be rolleyes

Whatever the video type i still think people should keep them coming as they helped me to learn and the ones coming will undoubtably help others to learn too biggrin

Another thing i noticed is that time spent on editing and putting clips together makes a differance, almost giving ya vid a beginning middle and end, you did that with the NIPP vid which really finished it nicely - where as bens vid was just of one move really......

(realises by that comment of "time spent" that falmouth 2 has to be stupidly good eek)

Anyhow, ill stop rambling and just say interesting topic - but whens your next video coming biggrin - all that time is Oz you must have something special in the making wink

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Just an after-thought to my other post.

Perhaps it would be "better" if eductional videos were posted in the "Moves" section - leaving the "Videos" section to fun ones.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
strugz -

bug currenly has my vid editin firewire card so until i have thta back i cant make a single thing, i do have lots of footage of dentrassi to edit down for a release of a spinning vid from him, but that will be as soon as i get that card back!

as for seperating teh threads, maybe it would be better to sperate the vid thread like the chat thread was, if you put edu vids in teh moves section, you might miss a slick vid and i would be annouyed,

i knwo it sounds like im looking at this from teh wrong end, but its only that i much over prefer the comunity vids, as i find often then have more to offer

let me explain

in teh last week i have seen two funky vids that cometo mind...

KoB one, today, shich is cool and funny, and smart - and a good tech vid, its a single person, light, open, styled vid, showing off moves for others to learn from

ok

and i have downloaded on coles recomendation - the wosttricks juggling vid - this looks to be three guys doing stupid hot ass juggling tricks, and making them look easy, same style eaching vid, but has more of a community feal to it, if thats right,

i see loads of vod, hell i have works bandwidth to get them all, i have talked to lots of spinners about spin ideas, and so on, and i have some stashed away in my head that i wouldlove to get get some spinners in on and work with....alas these will have to wait, as they will require lots of talkinga and filming, maybe at a spitz one night!?

to be honest, and open on this, the nest spin/teach/community vid i have seen was put together by ben, of knox doing doubles....

mainly cos it had knoxplaying hard, but then closup in the day to explain how to do crosses well...a really nice way of doing it!

(ps strugz, get thy ass bolted to a desk and get teh fal2 vid done, or ill come down there and use my biggest prode on you, you know the one with the pointyspinny end!

and thankyou for comlimentuing my vid man *HUGE HEAD*)

Step (el-nombrie)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*Dons some supernatural rubber pants and dances a dirty jig in thhis thread for the amusement of the others*

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I agree with Mech. You all suck.

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah - but we don't get paid to do it down back alleys...

tongue

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
there's nothing to stop anyone releasing fun educational videos.
'cept for my army of ill-tempered sea bass.
:go my pretties:

we do not live in a world of either or.
we are much too complex creatures for that.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Bender!

Its past your bedtime now goto bed!

wink

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
well, if your looking for a fun "party' video, just a wait a little longer (I am awaiting final approval from the people involved). Hafla is Arabic for "keg party"... And that's all I'm gona say about that... confused eek hug

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I don't know how much I agree with some of this..

I mean on the one hand.. edu vids are more common.. the basic idea being.. words dont work for everyone.. so you need a medium to convey it.. voila.. not to mention digicams are easy to get and vids are easy to share.. it way easier to understand a written concept with a clip next to it.. so its more about clarity.. I consider all my clips "educational" but only made them to put side by side with what I write.. to rid confusion..

now party vids to me are the same thing.. example morning coffee.. I learned a LOT from that vid back in the day.. and though there is a daytime section later.. most of what I learned was from the beginning.. I would also like to put TT2 in the party vid category.. because it is a group of people.. but given its techyness I could also lump it as educational..

I guess my confusions comes from is it not classified as educational because you have more then one person on the screen at a time? I mean that doesnt affect the educational quality? or is it because it was just people spinning? to which I'd like to say that people spinning (even without intending) is educational..

so I guess that means.. people just spinning versus people spinning with intent.. isnt that the same as choreography vs just spinning?

I guess I'm kinda confused to the question.. I mean I know a lot of videos have been how to do this that or the other.. but I'd have to say (at least form what I've downloaded) there are more just spinning type clips (but I'm sure there are a bunch of videos that I put in the just spinning category that might not be)...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I wonder if 'party' and 'educational' fully cover the options, as there seems to be some confusion as to which category some vids are falling into.

I took Mechs original post to be talking about how many recent vids have tended to be in daylight with all the action, body positions and hand positions easy to see; as opposed to a night time fire vid, which may look really good but could be difficult to spot how the moves are done.

The latter could be of one person, or a group.

I'd be inclined to reserve the term 'party' for those other vids which are shot at parties or are primarily showing the social aspects of spinning.

So that would give 3 categories- 'educational', 'party' and then another, which I can't think of a name for , but which is the vids that aren't 'party' or 'educational'.

-------------

'How to' has always been one of my favourite vids, it was the first decent daylight vid I'd seen; it had a huge influence on my attempts at making vids, several of which were meant primarily to be on the educational side, and done in daylight.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Onewheeldave.... do you mean "Misc"?

smile

6,978 posts

Posted:
a 3rd category? how about ..artistic!
as in "if Jon don't get no sleep soon, he'll only be capable nothing today, artistic" ;D

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
In the words of Zim:

Written by: Zim

Sleep is for pittiful Humans. pittiful, pittiful, pittiful humans!

*falls alseep at computer*

6,978 posts

Posted:
/bender fills jon's room with incontinnent yet mildly agigated badgers and locks the barn door behind him.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

I agree with Mech. You all suck.

biggrin

yes nyc, but its you who showed me how to suck *remeber that pics* wink

anyways, i see what you are saying dave, at first i was talking about set vid styles, but i will bow to the certain level of cross over that occurs on some of these vids,

indeed you have released several tech/edu vids, of which i think i have them all...but ones like morning coffee sit over the line no?

so who about

edu - for use of showing off what you can do, or trading moves
party/community - when you have a vid of ppl at a gathering, or an event who have spun and you have cut it into a vid
misc - all rather strange vids that we get

for me personally edu vids are also hard to watch and learn from, its much easier in teh 3d world, to see exactly were thta thumb goes to get the full move, or were you hold your arm to get that last section throw?

but what i dont wnat is it to sound like i am saying we should stop producing vids, i think all teh vids i have downloaded are valid, bar one or two that i openly dont like, maybe im just better at producing social vids over edu ones, as im not a very highspinner, sure i can hold my own, but against some spinners, who have been learning lots recently now, im crap *cough*custom bug*splutter*

Written by: Rev

so I guess that means.. people just spinning versus people spinning with intent.. isnt that the same as choreography vs just spinning?

I guess I'm kinda confused to the question.. I mean I know a lot of videos have been how to do this that or the other.. but I'd have to say (at least form what I've downloaded) there are more just spinning type clips (but I'm sure there are a bunch of videos that I put in the just spinning category that might not be)...

i think this point is a good one

how would you define each clip?

would it be down to the author to decide, to the community? who?

maye done by clarity, the nipp vid isnt clear in some places as it was using autofocus and night shot cos smallboy didnt knwo how to use my cam while i was photoing, but in others you can see tricks clearly like smallboys ropes...

but

in slacking in ed from mcp, you can see lots of lauras tricks well and clear, but its still not an edu vid ( IMHO), as in places its easy to make out were the twists go, or were others things go, but in parts it does teach, andthen go to be a community vd with them showing off a routine?

hmmmm i think i should start thinking more beofre i engage my brain at times!

Step (el-nombrie)

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
eh I like vids that simulate me being there, watching the twirling. Whether its 4am at a doof and someones going off on one in a field 100 metres away or its in a park during the day with 10 people doing a tutorial session. I like to feel like I'm there, and I think the fancy editing detracts from that. Editing spoils the flow too, and also (I think) can give a false impression of perfection.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
there are tutorial vids and there are others as far as I'm concerned. They're videos! Why are we trying to define what they are? Just go watch them! That's what they're for!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
shhhh you , iwth your womanly type logic! :P

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Josh

Editing spoils the flow too, and also (I think) can give a false impression of perfection.

Josh

i think that's a bit harsh dude - editing video well takes thought, time, effort and no small amount of creativity and skill.
it is what makes a video feel like something other than 'this is some raw footage'.
does that mean the only videos you appreciate are ones made up of just one long uncut shot?
i think its pretty rare to get footage of someone that's good enough to just pull off of the camera and stick straight onto the internet.

i personally love good editing (possibly cos i'm crap and mess up lots when there's a camera pointed at me!) smile

editing may not give an accurate representation of a spinner but at the end of the day, who wants to spend time downloading and watching drops/mistakes unless they are entertaining in themselves?

again, i would site 'soy on everything part 2', 'morning coffee' and 'spinning in paris' as examples of videos where good editing (and amazing footage) is combined to make a video that is both fun to watch and shows a lot of ideas.

i think this thread more than anything shows what people's personal preferences are with respect to spinning videos and as we can see, there are lots of (sometimes almost opposite) opinions on what makes a video 'good'.

if someone takes the time to make a video, i'll happily download and watch it.
if it makes me smile or better makes me smile and teaches me something or shares ideas, its a bonus smile

meg makes lots of sense.
we should listen to her more...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
cole you shut up to, or so help me ill come down there, and hurt you lots with a sharp pointy stick, with extra point, and stick of death srached in eth side of it *evil look*

wink

Step (el-nombrie)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Strugz's "Ireland" vid has some lovely editing in it too...

As Cole said - this thread has highlighted that everyone has different tastes - not everyone likes the same movies... smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

meg makes lots of sense.
we should listen to her more...

eek

WTF?

I'm slightly scared now. But I really want to transcribe this to the ed thread for sheer laughs...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

whyBRONZE Member
not _Y_
720 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

meg makes lots of sense.

WTF?

.. and so the end of the world begins... ubbloco ubbloco

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: why

Written by: mcp

meg makes lots of sense.

WTF?

.. and so the end of the world begins... ubbloco ubbloco

either that or i'm just some nutter who talks crap all day long.

make your own minds up...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: