nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Why are kids so annoyingly good at poi? Maybe it's only in comparison with me, a half-eaten mars bar with all the coordinations of an empty crisp packet, but they seem to be able to pick up things that took me days in a matter of seconds!

I've never taught a kid who couldn't do the weave within about 3 minutes. It's ridiculous!

Teaching poi to random kids is really cool. Especially when their parents wander over to see what's going on and get a faceful of butterfly. He he he. My gf's mum, who is a receptionist at a lower school, thinks that if they could get soft poi cheaply, her PE department might try and include poi into the classes. I doubt it'll happen but it would be pretty cool to see a 30-strong troupe of kids in perfect sync! biggrin

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Fleancejourneyman
99 posts

Posted:
You can make soft poi really easily with old plastic shopping bags that you scrunch into a ball (takes a few) then you rap them in a piece of funky looking bright material.

(I.e. place the bags in the centre then just bring all the corners up.)
Take some strong wool, string, twine or whatever you want to use and wrap and then tie at the top........and voila. Poi made out of plastic bag, gauranteed not to hurt anybody........much. smile

Hope that helps

I don't care who you vote for

Just don't vote for the guy who likes war, destruction and earning money over earning respect.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: nearly_all_gone

Why are kids so annoyingly good at poi? Maybe it's only in comparison with me, a half-eaten mars bar with all the coordinations of an empty crisp packet, but they seem to be able to pick up things that took me days in a matter of seconds!

yes, yes, it's VERY annoying. especially when their name is ado-p ubblol

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Depends on your perspective I guess (that means you Faberge)

I remember giving poi to a 11 year old kid once at a gig, he just stood there and made up the three beat weave all by himself.

Then i gave my staff to a girl that was with him and she did a back flip with it. One handed. I'm not kidding. She showed me how to do one handed cartwheels. She was 10!!!!!

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I remember giving poi to a 5 year old once... in a field on an island somewhere, it's all a bit hazy. biggrin
He wasn't great... but he tried. I think he managed to swing it round in circles... not bad at 5.

x

Getting to the other side smile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Kids have few preconceived ideas about what is and what isn't possible. They believe they can do it, and can. Their muscles also don't have as many stored memory patterns as an adult so they don't have to fight against those. Being a kid is great. I wish there was a way to go back to that time/state.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

caz86Twister Fire Starter ridin on a tratter
156 posts

Posted:
I think it's also cus they're kinda ruthless. I mean the only reason it took me so long to 3-beat was because I was chicken-sh*t-scared of hitting myself cus it hurt, or hitting anything else in my front room. If you're not scared you just swing your arms about, it's quite a natural movement!

Caz

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Fleance, thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of cariier-bag poi, the only ones I ever seem to make are tennisballs! I'm going to make some prototypes and hopefully go see the headmistress this week. Could it be the first time Michal Kahn is part of the syllabus somewhere?

I don't really begrudge kids their skills, and I totally agree with skulduggery, they have less to fight against to learn. I just wish I could do it to!

I think I must have the most bigoted muscles in the world!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Twisted ClownBRONZE Member
102 posts

Posted:
I know exactley what you mean my eldest daniel who is nine can do the three beat weave, butterfly, thread the needle and windmill, he picked this up by just watching me and all in about a month....

I think its cause they are so young and their bodys hvnt been doing the daily movements we all do and for as long as adults have....

ergo they are more flexible and ave no set routines of movement within their brains as we do.....

arrrgghhhhh im scaring myself

Run away Run Away

toooo deep tooooo deep....

There may be one for everyone but what if there is two for three would that mean none for someone or did they start off without one....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Have ya ever seen little kids ski? THAT'S embarrasing. When you think you're flying down the hill and then a line of little ones passes you like you're standing still.

But I can still kick their asses most of the time. If I could just catch them... wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Twisted ClownBRONZE Member
102 posts

Posted:
lol

There may be one for everyone but what if there is two for three would that mean none for someone or did they start off without one....

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
skiing kids are evil, I swear... one went across the ends of my skis and made me fall arse over tit once. I was a kid at the time too... but that's not the point.

Thoreau

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
On my first (and last) ever attempt at snowboarding I had just managed to stand up (had never skiied before either) and was hurtling out of control down a hill.

I saw the snowman some evil children had built right in the middle of the run from a fair distance away, but was unfortunately unable to steer.

The children (b*stards) laughed their heads off as I hit it straight on, doing a perfect somersault and landed smack on that bone at the bottom of your back (the butt bone).

I was very close to tears ubblol

Getting to the other side smile

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
at reading me and a few others were spinning and some kid n mum came up to us n he was interested so i tried to teach him not expecting much, lil bastard had the weave in like a minute!! he was about 8!!! and he even had the nerve to say can i take the tails off cos they swing better!!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

...{SAFE}..."if i jump in the fire, will you?"
633 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fleance

You can make soft poi really easily with old plastic shopping bags that you scrunch into a ball (takes a few) then you rap them in a piece of funky looking bright material.

i.e: stuff those plastic bags into a balloon!

hope that helps:)

i like breaking the Law frown , of Gravity wink !