Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Which advanced poi-family is easyest?

Login/Join to Participate

Face_NLPLATINUM Member
addict
513 posts

Posted:
Heya all,

I've been poiing for some time now, and got all the basics , know a few wraps, do a few throws, a little under the legg stuff...
But when I'm looking for new moves in this forum, there are LOTS of different 'directions' to go, hyperloops, isolations, 'contact poi'(like the half wraps), wrap releases, etc etc...

which of these (or other directions) is easyest to pick up, or most usefull? What do you prefer yourself??

|| "Is True Mastery of the Elements But a Dream?" ||

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure there's a right answer to the question wink

All of the "advanced" moves you mention are conceptually quite easy, but require a fair bit of control to be able to pull off. But in theory you could learn any of them before even knowing the butterfly - they don't rely on anything else.

I'd say isolations perhaps - they're very pretty and you can add them to almost anything else you know...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
your aim should be to learn everything smile

first id learn to isolate cos it makes other stuff easier, and they do look funky as ya like. dont worry to much about stuff like hyperloops and what not, youll find them when your ready.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

BzraelBRONZE Member
45 posts

Posted:
I agree :P

I guess you should really be answering the question about which is easier yourself, give 'em all a 'spin' as it were, and judge for yourself. Some may find hyperloops easier. I know people who think isolations are really difficult whereas I actually think they are the easiest of the lot. And they are just SO damn pretty too!

Face_NLPLATINUM Member
addict
513 posts

Posted:
"first id learn to isolate cos it makes other stuff easier"...
Hmmz, is that so? I don't really discovered a link between Isolations and other stuff.... But, you Can put them in everywhere and look cool, so I'll make it my focus I think :-).

I did try them except the wrap-releases, but isolated buzzsaw stays at most 3 circles or so, and then I lose it...
With hyperloops I've the problem that I don't tangle them neatly in the middle but 1 in the middle and 1 on the end, and (therefore?) they lose their speed and fall still...
And my chains are actually really short because my fireheads are heavy :-), so I was wondering if it was worth it to dive into contactpoi...

Tenks ^_^

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I'm focusing on isolations beacuse they are worth more from a performance perspective. To the normal public, a 7 beet weave is just a bunch of circles, isolations make the poi look like they are floationg and the crowd notices it. I've noticed a big impact on the reactions of people.

If your looking for something new to learn, try changing up your equipment and style. Try long chain, ball chain or welded link. Try moving completely differently than you normally do doing the same moves. Maybee what your looking for isn't new moves, but a different spinning style. biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
goes to practise isolations.... again!
weavesmiley

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
I agree with Codi,

sometimes really hard moves are just good for competitive spinning but if you want to look awesome some easier stuff wins.

I spun recently for some friends and noone noticed my reverse 5 beat weave which took me a while to figure out. but everyone was in awe when I did some take-outs in opposite direction split time (how can you move your arms around and swing in different directions?) which is really not that hard.

I also think that a nice mix of all families are the go. I find just wrapping so boring but it can be a nice surprise effect in an otherwise flowing spin.

but, hey, I'm off to practise those isolations...

hm, pinecones, my favourits!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Learn them all at the same time. As Spiral, they require a certain degree of control control of poi is what increases as you get better.

The aim of the game is to increase the control you have on the poi. In my opinion by trying to learn all at the same time you will increase your control faster in the long run... smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Written by: Telpeva Isil

"first id learn to isolate cos it makes other stuff easier"...
Hmmz, is that so? I don't really discovered a link between Isolations and other stuff....

well this is just my opinion.. but i think once youve learnt to isolate you have so much more control over the poi.... you can kinda feel where it is at the whole time.. (this might be just me) but i learnt to isolate fairly early on, and i deffinetly think it made learning stuff like hyperloops easier.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I agree with oli here, isolations are great for building a real feel for how the poi are moving and how you can alter their path however you want to. Which is great for learning other advanced stuff and just for being able to work moves together in a nice, flowing way smile

Face_NLPLATINUM Member
addict
513 posts

Posted:
Ok, that sounds good... And makes me realize that, if that's true, I kinda lack control over my pois biggrin, or at least miss the 'higher poi feeling'...

Learning everything at once... with easyer stuff no problem, but I think each of the 'families' needs a long non stop practice session... so before next sunday I'll try to nail down Isolations?! (doable?)

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
If your shoulders don't fall off I'd be supprised. biggrin Isolations hit different muscles than your used to. It's good to set goals, but try to make them realistic or don't get too dissapointed if you don't meet them.
Do you have someone who can teach you isolations? You'll learn much faster. I had to teach myself everything and it took forever. Now I can teach someone moves that took me years in minutes. It's just not fair wink

Cody Canon

Face_NLPLATINUM Member
addict
513 posts

Posted:
Ow I wasn't really serious about next sunday :-), but I'm hoping that it will come 'soon'... But the only two people I met that could actually do iso's weren't actually able to teach me, it was more of the 'just try' advice frown... Is there anything to focus on to make it easyer? If you can teach someone in minutes (A)...

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
U can start with stops or stills. This is maybe the first step to break the circles from advanced non-circle techniques. From advanced circle technique u schould start with contact wraps or BTLs smile

POI THEO(R)IST

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Ohhh teaching Isolations remotely umm I'll give it a shot.
How about Isolated weaves
Some exercises:
Practice a weave as big as you can with your arms outstetched. Turn with the weave towards the sides and make your elbows touch each other as you switch sides.
Practice the weave as slowly as you can. Let the poi fall out of the air at the top of the rotation.
Practice the weave as overexagerated as possible. Move your upper body up and down with the leading poi head. Twist the full 180 degrees
As your spinning a normal reverse weave look at your hands. How close together are they? Try and keep them apart as you spin. Slowly try to move each hand down the length of the opposite poi while still weaving. Your hand will need to anticipate where the other poi head is going in order to match it.

Tips. The reverse weave is easier to learn first. If you have finger loops, spread your fingers out as you spin slow. Pretend your casting a spell. Your trying to isolate the center of the chain not the poi head (this took me forever to figure out)

A proper isolated weave looks like your spinning a staff. Each hand is right next to and spinning with the opposite poi head.

In the basic isolated spin, your hand is moving in the same space as your poi head and the chain stays in the center like a cartwheel. It's like if you had a crank with two handels at each end and the spinning point in the center. Grab one handel and spin, the other handel would be the poi head.

Hope that helps biggrin
(Or you can make a trip to Reno and I'll show you wink)

Cody Canon

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Also remeber not to neglect normal spinning.

There are some spinners out there who now can't do some moves non-isolated!

Go to Spherculism Join and search for "Isolations ~ Sphercular Style" a nice flash toy to demo isolations

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
You see, i just don't even need to post any more, i love it.

I will say this though. The simplest of all poi moves must be 'isolated cone theory' applied to a 'point space modifier'

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
ubblol

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Not here as well! :P

ZimBRONZE Member
Former Raver Invader... Not sure what i am now...
284 posts

Posted:
Written by: Cody

Pretend your casting a spell.

mmmmyessssss ...

But for any and all poi... tech tricks are the best...

Clean for 6 months and counting... ah yeah, that's nice.

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
Written by: Telpeva Isil

so I was wondering if it was worth it to dive into contactpoi...

Tenks ^_^

Contact poi is beautiful and an interestinng vaiation Ihave found, but a little warning - learning contact moves has felt like learning poi all over again, it requires obcene amountsof patience and dedication!!

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne