hankyGOLD Member
117 posts

Posted:
AHHHHHHHHH!!!...i'm moving to Blackpool tomorrow and still haven't found any spinners there!? censored what am i going to do?! i'll be the Lone Spinner!
ubbcrying grouphug ubbcrying

it's a mad world...and i love it!!!

meghannenthusiast
302 posts

Posted:
the lone spinners r somtimes best, teach every new friend u make and stay liknin to us!! thats wat i did now at least 15 of my friends have traken up poi!!

ive learned
life is tough... but im tougher

meghannenthusiast
302 posts

Posted:
oh i forgot hug grouphug grouphug hug2

ive learned
life is tough... but im tougher

hankyGOLD Member
117 posts

Posted:
wave hug
cheers beerchug meghann, i feared i would have to convert some randoms ubbloco ! which is good for them to learn but who do i get to learn off? umm

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Ive managed to teach myself.... it'll be ok... you just have to be able to travel and then u can come see all the other HOPers. Your gona be by the beach anyway.... im sure people will prob find YOU! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
just think of this way - you'll get to start your own spinning cult instead of just joiing one that already exists!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
i feel the exact same way hanky, im off to hull tomorrow on my own and i dont know any spinners there! will convert

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
You'll both be fine! Just go to a very prominent place and stand there poi-ing. Someone is bound to come up and say "I poi too, hello" or "Wow! Thats so cool. Can you show me how to do that?" Either way you'll have someone to poi with biggrin Oh and absentmindedly leave a hat on the floor infront of you with a handful of coins in. Maybe someone will add to them ubblol Hey, don't knock it. A student has to get money for drinking and partying somewhere!!!

Have fun at Uni Will and Hanky have fun in Blackpool doing whatever it is you are doing there (I'm guessing College or uni but my guesses usually are wrong!) hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

hankyGOLD Member
117 posts

Posted:
thankx
well i think i will convert, many! i mean - who could resist???
Blackpool here i come! and yeah i'm gonna be studying photography > click click <

offtopic

can anyone tell me what would happen if the kevlar on a staff was too lose? i'm guessing it just wouldnt burn as long but i'm no expert so i dunno?
weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there, good luck with uni and the course... and as everyone has said, you won't be on your own for too long, enjoy the freedom while you have it biggrin

As for the kevlar, if it's too loose, take it off and rewrap it.

If your wick is too loose it will burn through quicker, which means you will have to replace it sooner, or worse, it will break mid-performance and disintegrate.

I have poi, but attaching wick to staff is much the same.

(This is what I do, but everyone has their own method)

*Take out the screws and remove wick

*Turn wick upside down and 'inside out'

*While the wick is off, give your staff a bit of a clean to get rid of any excess sooty build-up

*If you have PVA glue, put a little over the edges of your wick, it will stop them fraying. Let it dry

*Gaffa tape the wick onto the staff - but fold the end over slightly so it doesn't unravel

*If possible, clamp the staff tightly with a joiner's clamp (or something similar). If you have no clamp, or access to one, get a friend to hold the staff so that it doesn't move

*Wrap your kevlar around the staff very tightly - use as much effort as you can

*When finished, fold the kevlar back on itself slightly again, so it doesn't unravel

*Put another bit of gaffa at the end, to keep it in place

*Using an electric handdrill (or lots of strength, if you don't have one) feed your screws back into place through that fold at the end of the wick and into the core. You probably won't hit the same holes you had last time, but that's the way it is

*Be careful to keep the screws straight, and be aware that when they hit the core the kevlar will probably ride up the screws - just keep going

*When you eventally get through the core, make sure you tighten the screws as much as possible, which will flatten the kevlar again.

*When finished, soak your wick for a couple of minutes, let them dry out a bit, then light them... but don't play yet. This will burn off that gaffa tape and get the wicks ready. Put them out again, dip them and you should be ready to go biggrin

Take care and watch your fingers biggrin

xx

Getting to the other side smile

hankyGOLD Member
117 posts

Posted:
cheers firepois kiss i'll definately try it - i havn't used the staff yet but i don't have the equipment to take off the screws etc so it will have to wait ubbcrying - i got my dad to make it u see but he missed the part when i said 'when u put the kevlar on make sure u do it as tight as u can' grrrrrrrrrrrr........ mad2

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I'm sure there was someone round a little while ago who said they were moving to Blackpool and didn't have anyone to spin with. umm
I can't remember who it was though- sorry!

If you get there and do lots of spinning, maybe they'll find you. Or maybe you'll find them doing the same thing.
Either ways, good luck. biggrin

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

hankyGOLD Member
117 posts

Posted:
cheers mand but i fear that may have been me rolleyes
but the bright side is....that i'll always have me biggrin