Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
Hello
I was doing poi a lot earlier this year, then Ihad to stop because I was ill. Now I am better I have fixed my fire poiand I am doing it again. However I am still rubbish at it. I am trying to learn from the Michal Kahn book but the girl in it keeps laughing at me. I have seen another book on the website, by a german guy, Klaus Scheuermann. Does anyone use it, is it any good? Does anybody know?
confused

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

wouacGOLD Member
Poi-tato
183 posts

Posted:
this isn't going to answer youre question but you'll probly find it alot easier to learn if you do it with a mate because then you got someone to work off of and you and comment on each others bad areas so if I were you I wouldn't bother getting a book and rather just find a buddy

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potato's.

MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:
Klaus Scheuermann - dont understand a thing in that book it will confuse you confused ubbloco confused ubbloco

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
If I can quote Malcolm: "Klaus has developed a more difficult way of learning poi by using a new graphical means similar to musical notes".

Sounds like hours of fun right there. biggrin

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Klaus is an highly enthusiastic and motivated guy. He's really nice. But his book is rather 'German'. A lot of different people's years of teaching experience got condensed into Michal's book and so it's probably the better of the two for most people.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
you could try an get in touch with other peeps in wales. i think there's a thread in the events section... wink

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

558 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the info, I won't get the German book right now, I'll stick with the cartoon girl, I just wish she wouldn't look so happy every time I get smacked in the face.
I'll look out for things happening here in Wales and for other poi doing people (is there a proper word for poi people) round my way.
Thanks

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
its pretty general, but you can call poi/ staff people spinners or twirlers

you would probaly have more luck with a video

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Lillie Frog I'm not sure how advanced you are in poi (I'm way down here in the beginners classes) but there are some good basic online lessons, here at HoP and Mot's place and Coley's site

I hope that helps. ubbrollsmile

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

558 posts

Posted:
Cheers!
Iv'e had a look at them. domorepoi won't show me the pictures, but thats cos my puter needs a smack with a sledgehammer for being crap. Mots place looks good, gives a different view to some of the HOP films,
It should help a bit.
Thanks.

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
You're most welcome.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I'm kinda thinking about writing a staff manipulation book. Anyone interested (that means you Ben-Ja-Men) should get in touch.

Win and score.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Make sure it has lots of easy to follow pics for people like me that can't get it from text !

558 posts

Posted:
Text and pics,
idiots like me need loads of explanation, diagrams, pictures and anything else.
I've been looking at the staff lessons on HOP and thinking of finding a broom handle to play with, but there is only the video for most moves and once it has loaded it all happens so fast!

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry