SpaceCadetmember
9 posts

Posted:
Last night while practicing a simple high turn to forward butterfly I smacked my cheek bone with one of my Photon II POI and SHATTERED the "unbreakable" solid plexi bulb. Of course, the bulb shards and other asorted parts kindly implanted themselves into my cheek..Its the kinda thing that happens to everyone.. but it always happens the minute you "think" you look really cool.. ehehehso, if you wish to share, what are your worst poi injuries? I hope that I am not the only one out there that feels like a doof when practicing.hehe =)[This message has been edited by SpaceCadet (edited 08 March 2001).]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey space cadet.could you please describe how you do the;Direct from high turn to butterfly move.enquiring minds want to know!Josh

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
To tell you the truth, I've never really hurt myself from chains, other than the occassional bruise. I save all my spectacular injuries for staff! That's how I've had two black eyes at a time, and stitches in my head. People think i'm some sort of street fighter from all the scars and bruises. 'Bout time someone though i was tough.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I haven't had any "hardcore" poi injuries yet - I did bash my eyeball a few days ago. For a split second I saw lots of multicoloured scratchy looking lines flashing on a black and white background. Reminded me of watching the liquid crystal disperse into pretty colours when you press a calculator display. I've been seeing fog outta that eye until today =)Bruises, small burns and the lack of hair on my arms in places I don't count =)

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

adrianmember
58 posts

Posted:
well i think the worst injouriey i ever got from poi was temporary cripplement from hitting my testicals too many times, that and small kewl looking burnsbut thats all ill ever get methinks...------------------ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Well I think that I can speak for most blokes when I bring this one forward. Know what I mean. NOW THAT HURTS HA HApeace out garbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hi spacecadet...wow did the LED actually break on your cheek bone??? you must have quite tough cheek bones dude or the photon build quality is crap!!! grinhey garbo - what you said certainly applies to me as well mate smile ouchhhhhhhappy swinging,Simos

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
teehee - i shattered my eyeglasses one day when i was practicing and was too lazy to put in my contacts! it's less that it hurt and much more that it cost 300$ to replace them!now i always practice with my glasses safely somewhere ELSE!other than that, i've gotten off with only a lovely assortment of bruises due to spinning honkin chunky chain...

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
smacked myself inthe face with a lit poi..burnt off bangs and middle of eyebrows and got some nice nose bruises from the glasses....didnt break em though...supposedly i have shatterproof lenses smile and didnt really get burnt either, just freaked.Peregrine

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
This is why I always take off my glasses before I twirl! I smashed down the nose-pads once (easily bent back), and that was all the lesson I need.Just last night got my first brand when attempting the btb weave-turn with fire for the first time (obviously not for the first time ever). Didn't even realize it until this morning in the shower.Other than that, I smack myself in the family jewels about once a week, practicing.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

SpaceCadetmember
9 posts

Posted:
[Josh] : high turn to actually a reverse butterfly, it can be done, but right now my story is proof that I cant quite do it.. the theory is simple but trying to keep at it after a smack like that will take some getting used too.Simos: Yes, the LED actually shattered when it hit my face.. It was extremely surprising since I have had the photons hit each other really really hard before and not even get a scratch. It was one hit and they just shattered into pieces. heh =)

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
i second Garbo's notion. the goddamn forward butterfly was the most painful move ever created. i thought i'd be impotent.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
It's not from poi though...it's from my warm up equipment and it's a testment to not do this a) while blazenly over tired as I am right now, and b) when you've gone more than a day without food.......I use a weighted leather speed jump rope to train with. The moves are similiar to poi and flags, as well as my fire jump chain so it makes for a good warm up, usually. Today because of lack of sleep and forgetting to eat (Hey I was busy!!!!) I did terribly and now have whip welts across my body, the worst of which are around my wrists and up my arms. It looks like I tried to commit suicide with a butter knife!!! Stings to but in a good kinda way...though I am certain I will be singing a different tune when that hot shower water runs over them...yeee-ouch!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
I usually try to NOT hurt myself [lol], but of course it's inevitable. The butterfly can be a real b|tch sometimes... it's not just the nuts where it aims for, but if they collide at the top, they aim straight for the bridge of your nose [and that hurts just as much as a crotch shot, just different]. Now whenever i do the butterfly variations, i try to swing with a hat or visor on, so i can bend my head down a little bit [looks like i'm concentrating on doing something really difficult, but i'm really just using the brim to protect myself smile]. I've also noticed, that it's not the weight of the poi that's the biggest factor. Glowstix are a lot lighter than tennis balls or beaming poi, but sting a hellavalot more. Also, mebbe it's just me, but whenever i hit myself/graze myself with glowstix and keep on swinging, they make this really cool whizzing sound, but are tough to control [you end up hitting yourself again]. NEwho...------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

Bish_the_Dingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Out here in the bush ... we don't use Kevlar, man ... we use denim and wire !... And that's if you're *classy* !On both poi and the poles/staves we weave on a wire mesh to hold the rolled up denim in place. If you smack yourself the wires normally sizzle into your skin forming up to 10 parallel burns that, once the scab comes off, actually look *really* cool. Tribal like. They look especially good on arms and legs, the pink scar tissue lasts for months on tanned skin ...Altough I'm not permanently disfigured (I was a grot to start out with thank goodness...) I've had the imprint of a phillips head screw impacted on my forehead, a few funky 'grill' burns here and there, that annoying Velcro(tm) effect you get when you singe you eye lashes ...My kids are prolly gonna be a bit slow cosidering all the 'nad-ular damage I've sustained - but apart from that I'm just fine thanks !Worst/most painful move for me was the forward crossover/figure8, a nut buster of note !On a different note, sounds like a lot of 'us' wear glasses ... weird huh ?"Self immolation ! Go, baby, go !!"Bish[This message has been edited by Bish_the_Ding (edited 10 March 2001).]

Hasst du etwas zeit fuer mich?... Dan singe ich ein lied fuer dich ... -Bjork/Nena

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Lots of bruises..(i throw glowsticks because i am not about to try a ball of fire and die. Im not good enough yet.) I get tons of raunchy bruises on the inside of my arms from doing short strings with G-sticks. But the worst was at a party, piss drunk. I came out of a set finishing with a reverse butterfly. I dropped my hands and they crossed..as i was saying wasnt that tig..<> glowstick under my right eye. I was in the dark so i didnt realize i was cut and bleeding down my shirt..<> DOH!!------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Alanmember
3 posts

Posted:
the second I learned the 4 beat corkscrew I tried to take it verticle for a windmill and got smacked in the head with some beamer poi. ouch! keep on spinning! Alan------------------Burn em' to ashes and then burn the ashes.-Ray Bradbury Farenhite 451

Burn em' to ashes and then burn the ashes.-Ray Bradbury Farenhite 451

tkerbymember
30 posts

Posted:
Strangely enough, most injuries, I notice in the pub after I have been doing poi in the local park. We are currently practicing for beltane and when you get into it you dont seem to notice the cuts and scapes and burns! Didn't notice how muddy it was last night either when I decided to do butterfly lying down! I looked a state! I don't drink before doing fire but it becomes like a trance and I think I block out anything that happens.As for the worst injuries, my balls used to suffer. When a colleague and I started leaning poi in the juggling shop we work in we had the chair of pain as we used to suffer so much learning butterfly. Had to serve a few customers practically bent double with a squeaky high voice!

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
when i first got started i put a big fat cut in my forehead with a glowstick while fucking up a reverse butterfly. they caught on eachother and proceded to collide right with my face. and people were watching too. smileDRAKE

Bish_the_Dingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Must have something to do with human physiological proportions ... no matter where your hands are in space - if you screw up it's either the face or the crotch that get's whacked ! (with poi that is, anyone wanna swap pole-damage stories ...?)Nice quote Alan ! 'Fahrenheit 451' is the name of our troupe - website coming soon ...Bish

Hasst du etwas zeit fuer mich?... Dan singe ich ein lied fuer dich ... -Bjork/Nena

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
a similar thing happened to me while spinning staff. i had just gotten a new piece of piping for a short staff i was going to make and i wanted to see if it was heavy enough to toy with without wick on it. well i was doing a reverse two handed weave and it decided to come up and slice me right in the right side of my forehead. see i hadnt rounded off the edges yet so it cut wuite nicely. and hey bish i too use (sometimes) wire to hold on my wick. i just wrap it around the wick realllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tight and then put it through a hole i drilled in the pipes to secure it. so i had just finished a burn....several long burns actually, so the wire was nice and toasty and i was airing out my staff by spinning it real fast and it tagged me right on my right forearm, leaving a very cool burn. too bad it didnt last. it looked like i got pimp slapped by a cougar in the arm. i miss it so. whats your tale?DRAKE

Bish_the_Dingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Hey DRAKE !'Pimp slashed', eh ? Sounds hectic. Here, if you slash 250 people they give you a *silver* Stanley(tm) Knife ...I'm guessing a cougar is like a wild-cat, yes ?Here in Africa just about everything is venemous or vicious (or makes a really horrible sound).I'm working on a website that'll have a DIY section illustracting the kind of shit us 3rd worlders are up against ... I'll post as soon as it's up and you can see how we bushmen do it !Apart from the stylish grillmarks (tempted to get tatoos, man, oh so tempted), my first pole (1.83 m/6 foot) was just a glorified broom stick. To prevent the ends from splitting I cut 2.5 cm lengths of 25mm steel tubing, left them in a fire (to expand). Once red hot I hammered them onto the ends of my pole, they cooled down and shrunk onto my pole (no screws, no nothing) and they remained there as expected ...Enter hero Bish, "I'm so hard-core, I don't feel pain, bring it on !!!"You *must* know, with pole, reverse spin=head, forward spin=shin. Going FULL TILT, I stepped into a forward spin and split open the loose skin just below my knee. The steel ferule which I'd so carefully positioned chewwed its way right down to the bone and it took quite a few seconds before the impacted, white, wound began to fill with blood. It was HORRIBLE ...Thank goodness my weird hair managed to obscure the cone shape my cranium was assuming from all the impacts to my head !But, thank voetsek(footsack), I'm past that now and only seem to hurt myself when I try a throw (in the dark), or cartwheel ...I've also managed to bounce a flaming pole (on it's end) off my forhead !!! Although this amused the crowd more than it amazed them ... shit ... Pain proves you're alive I guess ...

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Bish--Pain is your body's way of saying "Ouch!"

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
bout the worst ive hav are sone nasty shots to the pill box and burns but the very first time i tried i had a fleece jacket of and managed to get the end of the staff in the pocket, i took it off attempted a throw and landed the staff back on the jacket setting it alight a second time and then, same thing again... now thats plain bad luck!of and the other is burns, trying to do round the neck, staff stuck and hiar on fire... cleaver and whilst trying to blow it out i burnt me lip on the screw... weak compared, but i only been going for 6 months so i aint doing too bad and now i know what i have to look forward to....

bird chicmember
9 posts

Posted:
the worst injury to others are the bruises i got when learing simple wraps around my arms(not with fire!) it looked like i had needle marks all over.... very bad!! but now i am suffering from a MAJOR black eye... i have worn sunglasses everyday...i'm still in the learning process, if you couldn't tell.. hehexoxoxoxx birdchic

crispyxmember
53 posts

Posted:
Aside from several crotch shots the worst I've done is bashed myself in the nose trying to learn the 5 beat reverse weave. Now that I'm picking up staff I'm hurting my self worse, mostly bashing my fingers with missed throws. The first night trying staff I hit my finger so hard the skin split, I thought for sure I had broken it, but it was okay.

How is it ever possible to feel safe and secure in a world in which everyone dies?

spiffspiffmember
52 posts

Posted:
the poi dont always go fo your head or your nuts. those are just the only shots you remember. I smack the back of my calves all the time doin behind the back stuff, it just doesnt hurt. the nut and face shots are the only ones that hurtWhile everyones talkin about glow sticks, where is s good place to buy them online?

kashmirmember
10 posts

Posted:
i havent had any really bad incedents with poi, but have had a few. once i managed to hit myself in the mouth with a burning wick, that was fun. other then that, just a lil burnt hair here and therei have a friend that burnt the inside of her arm spinning once, and then had the burn marks tattooed on, then had the konji (sp) for fire tattooed next to them[This message has been edited by kashmir (edited 20 March 2001).]

i'm not god, but fuck me, i'm close -liam gallagher

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
a good place for glowsticks:https://www.iloveraving.comthey sell them for a buck a peice and thats the best ive seen yet. if anybody can do better, do let us know.DRAKE