Forums > Social Chat > Who WASNT doing poi at glastonbury!!!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
Oh my god, i nearly actually very possibly (aww sod it, i did) get sick of people doing poi this weekend!! I even saw a four year old with baby poi whacking her sister around the head with them!

Nearly every stall sold practice poi (special hugs to the lady at tapooka for showing me those double staff mvoes!)and there were some really good poiers about.

I dont have the foggiest who i met but you were all really sweet (except for the guy at the stone circle who wouldnt leave me and my staff alone, insisted on playing, swung it round his head and hit me in the face....ouch my sunburn!)

plus blonde haired dude at the circus tent teaching everyone poi. I think it was fantastic you took the time to do this, plus ur mvoes were wicked. You actually dumbstruck my boyfriend (thank you!)

oh and spinning to bongos at 3am wit everyone around you oohing and ahhing then giving you a round of applause is the strangest yet most heartwarming experiences!

anyways, would lvoe to hear people experiences of glasters, anyone who saw me and is pissed cos i dont remember (take in mind i was in laalaaland alot of the time and severely sunstroked)and who you reckoned was the best band (zero 7 for me !)

love yas

vic xx

p.s. who poied to rolf harris?? come on, i saw ya and you was good but come on dude, you gotta watch rolfy!!!

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
Didn't go. So to answer your question, I WASN'T doing poi at glastonbury! And after reading your post, I'm more upset that I already was about that fact...glad you had fun though.

Oh and TV, you were in my dream last night... it was WELL weird!! Even tho I've never ever seen you, you were in it, and were ranting on about a connection cable?!!??!?!?!? How bizarre .....

[ 03 July 2002, 01:37: Message edited by: dibs_star ]

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Yah I wasnt there either, too busy trying to find Dibs with the bumper of my semi!!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Blonde hair dude ? could that be our beloved little Dom ???

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

orangemember
158 posts

Posted:
spinning and singing to coldplay knowing i`d not be able to talk the next day
-wow to find yourself inside a cocoon of singing fans - and to love singing in the bath

stone circle-spinning fire madly across the moon
throat chanting workshops - ta david

being inside a 20feet tall pink 'l.o.v.e'

being a stilt 'god on a cloud' and meeting the stilt duo that were a footballer and referee - and tackling the footballer-and getting the ball off him - it`s what 'gods of skipping' 'do' i s`pose
-although i did get told off!!! - for having fun!!! - on my birthday!!! - makes you think doesn`t it...
it was lovely mixing circus music friends and poi`ers

i took the h.o.p. relay kit too and people played with it...
-who in london still holds the record book-as it never made it back to me?
-
i only saw rob from 'tapooka' briefly during a stilt-set
-does anyone have direct contact with him?

never saw you though-twirlyvic...
but the sound of the drums drew me to the circle every night

hugs all...xxx...

swoopedinandswoopedoutagain...orange...xxx...

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
orange - i was at the circle every night from about 2am til dawn and didn't see you once. Then again i was spinning fire and wandering about and taking everything in at once (and it was dark and crowded ..... ) Those drums were amazing!

met and span with the te pooka crew in the fire show - their synchro fire routines were unbelievable. that was and honour and a half. It was so amazing - really, really unforgettable.
- Orange - this is the te pooka homepage. you might get contact onfo from here

Didn't see dom either, or twirly vic, but managed to meet pyrophile and firedragon which was great. In fact i met so many fire spinners and dancers of all ages, styles, skills and characters I am still pretty overwhelmed!

Some fantastic double staff stuff going on too. I have been truly inspired.

One mind blowing weekend. still recoveering now. Wish I'd taken a camera. All will live on in my memories though. truly, truly amazing time had by all.....

[ 03 July 2002, 06:53: Message edited by: Ros ]

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
have to agree with the excessive spinning!! but meeting new people and picking up some hints was cool!

mr scruff played a good set and air was cool. seeing roni size for the 1st time made my day!
Did anyone see Lamb??! the best live band i saw all weekend! they seemed well chuffed about playing at glastonbury which was wicked!

the stone circle at night was the best thing = didn't take my fire poi-couldnt be bothered with the effort of carrying everythin! took my glo poi - the most convinient thing at a fest!

& the weather held out! phew!

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Woohoo yahay hooray and marvelous.

This years Glastonbury was maybe the most splendiferous I have yet atteneded. It was my 4th and 2 of the others where muddy and I didn't do poi at the other!

The best band may have been Shpongle, but people have inferred to me that they wernt really playing live, I didn't know 'cos I was behind the speakers in the middle of the Glade tryin to spin glow poi. I say tryin cos there were MDMA fuelled nutters insistin I stop what I'm doin and listen to their rantings. After walkin off 3 times he got the message tho! Then I just had to learn to say no! Normally I let anyone play with toys, but after havin them out for about 25 mins and gettin about 5 mins playin time, I learnt.

Outside of the electronic music spectrum there wasn't too much I was after. Queens of the Stone Age rocked as always, I've seen them twice before, but this time we had the lovely Dave Grohl on drums, which was nice!
Also saw Less Than Jake, Lamb and others.
The main thing for me was the people this year. I knew more people than ever before and they were all blinkin lovely. The Stone Circle and drums and fire also called me most nights. Cheers for gettin me up to do the voice workshop Orange, wasn't quite what I expected, but great fun.

So for all of those that didn't make it get yourselves in gear and come next year. The magic can't really be put into words

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Woohoo yahay hooray and marvelous.

This years Glastonbury was maybe the most splendiferous I have yet atteneded. It was my 4th and 2 of the others where muddy and I didn't do poi at the other!

The best band may have been Shpongle, but people have inferred to me that they wernt really playing live, I didn't know 'cos I was behind the speakers in the middle of the Glade tryin to spin glow poi. I say tryin cos there were MDMA fuelled nutters insistin I stop what I'm doin and listen to their rantings. After walkin off 3 times he got the message tho! Then I just had to learn to say no! Normally I let anyone play with toys, but after havin them out for about 25 mins and gettin about 5 mins playin time, I learnt.

Outside of the electronic music spectrum there wasn't too much I was after. Queens of the Stone Age rocked as always, I've seen them twice before, but this time we had the lovely Dave Grohl on drums, which was nice!
Also saw Less Than Jake, Lamb and others.
The main thing for me was the people this year. I knew more people than ever before and they were all blinkin lovely. The Stone Circle and drums and fire also called me most nights. Cheers for gettin me up to do the voice workshop Orange, wasn't quite what I expected, but great fun.

So for all of those that didn't make it get yourselves in gear and come next year. The magic can't really be put into words

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

3,638 posts

Posted:
had a great time but it seems i missed out on the chance to meet so many HoP people. happysad.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Shpongle played ???, OH NOOOOOOO... now just another good reason to feel like I so missed the event of the month / summer !!!!!!

it just sounds sooo amazing

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Unbelievable Glasto, after everything I went through getting hold of tickets for it it was worth every little bit of effort.

So many poi people there I didn't bother asking any if they belonged to HOP but I did meet Ros, Mark and Hugo who were all really sound and ended up spinning with them at the stone circle until the sun rose on Monday morning.

Picked up some new moves which was wicked, and for me Roger Waters was the pinnacle of Glasto, a once in a lifetime performance.

Highly recommend anyone who missed it this year to go next time, much respect to all there.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

3,638 posts

Posted:
Yay Pyrophile! you get home ok?

great to meet you Hugo doesn't use HoP and mark hardly ever posts but it was great to spend sunday night/monday morning in that group. Was lots and lots of fun had

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it was a fantastic weekend, wasn't it. Just wish I'd met more people - although I did meet Mooohaaa *waves at Mooohaaa* - great spin, mate!

Didn't see you, Orange, and I was looking for the Relay set, but with my knackered voice I couldn't really ask too many people whether they knew anything about them.

Absolute highlight was definately fire spinning in the middle of a drum circle inside the stone circle. Amazing vibes.

As for the rest of the weekend, I didn't see too many bands as I was GLUED to the ground at the circus stages. There were mindblowing acts - The Happy Sideshow were just unbelievable... how can anyone even think of the things they do, let alone do them! And swamp circus was one of the more surreal (and best!) acts I've seen in my life. I loved the African acrobats, and the Dutch lady with the diabola... I just loved it all. And I got to see our very own fire axis who put on a fantastic performance on the outside stage on Friday night. Great spinning, Axis, and a brilliant show, which is just as important!

Got a massage and had a wonderful session with an osteopath who has done good things for the RSI in my left wrist as well as for my lower back, and bought lots and lots of Christmas presents for people - I like to buy Chrissie pressies when I see something special for a particular person, rather than trying to get them all at Chrissie. and saw a couple of great music acts too - Seize the Day on the avalon stage pumped so much energey into their traditional protest songs, and there was some great music happening on the jazz stage.

So yeah, it's all good, and I can't wait for next year!! woo hoo!!

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
LAMB PLAYED??????????????????

Oh my god, my life is over......

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

BigPantsmember
99 posts

Posted:
I had the most amazing weekend at Glasto. I was working as recycler in the dance tent, the work was crap and the hours even harder, but i was camping backstage with the performers so that was good. I think my best bit was sitting up the stone circle on sundat night, it was really great everyone playing their drums, and chanting and dancing. Their was a guy doing fire twirling with two sticks (soz don't know what its called) and one person with fire Poi, they were amazing. I loved that way that people were shouting if they wanted any drugs, and the sellers were shouting what they had for sale; and people were even doing swaps. Roni Size was fantastic and i was really suprised how good No Doubt were. The dance tent and the experience tent were fantastic this year, Glastonbury has done really well at representing dance music, and the Glade was fantastic. Unfortunately, i have become immune to drugs, and found that nothing worked for me at all, so i am having to change my drug of choice from XTC to acid and may have to become a crack whore once i become immune to acid!!

The bigger the pants the better!

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Hey Ros!

We took your advice and got a few hours sleep before we drove! We must have looked a complete state thinking about it!
(Azie I was the guy walking around singing in opera style looking for the little naughty ones! ).

If you ever get hold of Hugo's email give me a shout, I'm going to email Mark soon too.

Put the film in for development today, so I'll hopefully post some piccies up soon.

Peace

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
blonde haired dude, teaching everyone,
that has to be the lovely dom.

Orange, fairy kat has the fire book to give to you.

G

3,638 posts

Posted:
Axis? fire on the outside stage? as in the DVF stage? Who who who? explain, describe.....tell me more? did I meet axis? hmmmmmm

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
wasn't me. didn't spin much at all, too busy wandering about see weird things.

Now I'm too busy working. I'm not here.

I left my brain in a field in Somerset.

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
Well, a 'Fire Axis' spun glo poi on the outside circus stage at 10.30 on Friday night, and I'm assuming it's 'our' Axis. Was a great performance too, and I went back the next night at the same time, but he didn't spin again...

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
aww thats fab guys!!! Lamb were superb but i dont agree with no doubt, one of my fave bands but absolute shite live. Except when gwen got trapped on the top stage, hysterical that!!

cant believe i was in ur dream dibs thats crazy!!! im really not sure if i met anyone from the HOP, must be better organised next year.

Anyways, glad everyone had fun. Heres to 2004!!

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

jexXymember
37 posts

Posted:
Zero Seven were my fave too!! Was standing right at the front fence actually crying cos it was so wicked and being also slightly lala and extremely tired. I was up at the circle every night, and was still dancing at 6 am on monday morning in the glade cos i didn't want to go home

I know what u meant about too many poiers, but in a selfish way theyre good cos they make me feel like i have the hang of it more than some hehe. Meant to christen my new fire poi (c/o home of poi) but never got round to it being in less than sensible states to play with fire most of the time and stuck to my practice set which i lost/found numerous times all over glastonbury hehe

Ah memories....

/me becomes a full time hippy

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
yeh - wish i has missioned around and met more spinners from HOP!
thanks for the poi lesson dom - the only HOPer i met!! we all probably bum,ped into each other without realising it!!
if anyone lives nr exeter and wants to meet for some spinning thatd b cool! it was wicked to meet some spinners-don't know many around here,always good to learn new stuff!
what did you all think about the atmosphere at the fest? it was my first glast so for me it was amazing!! but a few people have said that it wasn't as good as the past years. there were a lot of coppers about and not so many crazy kids selling smack as i had expected!
so much better than reading fest!!!

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
fuuuuuck...
just arrived home afer 36 hour marathon journey via wales twice, abd some roundabout route in north of england..
everyone leaving, get back soon
tchau
Rob

brain replacement...anyone?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Right, Glastonbury! Wicked! Excellent! Superb! Best Glastonbury ever (well, in the last 5 years).

Glastonbury is a town created for free spirits and open minds to wander through. 5 days of bliss. It has everything (except flushing toilets and hot water!). It's a beautiful oasis. All other 'festivals' are company picnics compared to Glasters. I think the atmosphere was excellent. Everyone seemed so happy to be there after 2 years of waiting. The weather was lovely. It wasn't so crowded you couldn't move or see. There was more police about, but that goes hand in hand with less theft and violence.

I love the Green Fields! Camped up near there, towards the stone circle, and spent hours and hours wandering through the Green Fields. So much cool & weird stuff to see, especially at night!

Spinning wise saw some interesting stuff, but as I didn't go to the stone circle much maybe I missed all the really good spins. The fire show on Saturday was interesting, some nice ideas and choreography in there. Cool to see Axis do his 'alien' routine again! I had a good imaginative spin Sunday morning in the Glade, love the Glade! The brain was a bit over worked and tired, but got some interesting ideas together I'll have to remember sometime. Even got offered free drugs by some appreciative spectators!

Nice to meet you firefly, if briefly! Weird how you bump into people when there's 140000 people there! Also met up with Woody and Mark P, and obviously Moohaahaa and Orange, whom I was able to say Happy Birthday to on his birthday dawn.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Ok

Twirly vic, it wasn't dom, so in that case, the mistery blonde happytoteach anyone had to be.... our very own Dimitri from london.
He's a poi demon and an exceptionally patient teacher, you lucky lucky.
Amazing with double staffs too
oh and clubs
and contacts
and.....
Can be found round here at times
hiya dee

Be cool and swing things
Drew

orangemember
158 posts

Posted:
still swoop swoop`ing around - tho` my calf muscles are still a bit strained

ros - ta for the link

firefly - yep i was just driving past the stage when lamb started singing...
wanna stay right here...til the end of time...`til the earth stops spinnin`... i`ve found the 1...i`ve waited for.... queue drums wowowowowowwowowow wow wow mmmm yay
(thankfully they sorted a pass out for me saturday afternoon -so i drove through the site-amazing - who needs a car radio !!! )

Moohaahaa - the voice workshop was weird i didn`t know my voice could do that !!! - especially after the cluster of singalonga`s i found myself within for coldplay friday nite

i think either ben`o`clock or ogre hold the relay staff at the moment - we`ll have to send it out of the u.k. soon - to get it around europe - if someone could pass a message onto them - as i lost my mobile twice on my birthday-the second time more-so...

swooping energy hugs to everyone ...xxx...

swoopedinandswoopedoutagain...orange...xxx...

3,638 posts

Posted:
firefly - where abouts near exeter are you? we should meet up - e-mail me, k?

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
orange
I'm going to the EJC
would be a good time to pass on fire kit out of uk maybe

a

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
orange.......
you can get in touch with me either here or rob@tepooka.org...

that was amazing.... i am still not sure wether i am broken by glastonbury or not.... got to be pretty close at least.
tuesday night before was the most awesome spinning session i have ever had or seen... sunday was pretty good as well....until i almost knocked myself out with a hefty blow to the head around 5.30 in the morning..... so some nice scars in the crew, steve(curly australian) has a beautiful 10 inch rope burn on stomach and back.... why werent we warned what glastonbury does to people? not that we mind really...

those of you who saw i hope you enjoyed our bit of the fire show on the DVF stage - it was amazing to see 40ish fire swingers after...one of the best bits for me was all of us playing together...
for future reference tho ros who are/were you? and all the others? can't wait to see you guys spin again when i am not massively stressed out bcause of a stage crew who cant really be bothered and an tumbling routine with a fucked back.....
all welcome to come and visit us in edinburgh...thinking of running some minifestival style stuff during the fringe....
tchau and muito axé pr'a voces i hope yours was as good as mine
Rob

brain replacement...anyone?

Page: