Forums > Social Chat > Any Students Starting uni at the moment share tips or advice

Login/Join to Participate

Lozziemember
9 posts

Posted:
help help help help help help help help help help

I've just started university and it's all a bit overwhelming. But I've got me Tesco Value baked beans and my poi so I'm sure I'll be fine but does anyone have any handy hints, advice or encouragement 4 ppl in the same situation? If so pls share cos I'm sure we cud all do with it!!
weavesmileySPINNING IS NOT A CRIME!! weavesmiley

*a hard man is good to find*

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
[Old link]
is all the advice i can give!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi, im just about to go into my third year at Royal Holloway University. Dont worry about it all being too much. You get bored of it after a while and wonder what the hell you were so stressed about in the first place. The Unofficial Guides are the best places to check up on the students TRUE views of your uni but i find all the blerb The Guardian newspaper gives out helpful.

My tip is this: dont budget, you wont stick to it and when you get to the point where youve spent all your money you'll probably be nearly dead through freaking out over essay deadlines so you wont care or be able to eat anyway. lol.

You'll be fine... really.

RANDALLnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
When do you start with university??
I start my first year in belgium the 27th sept.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
heh try not to panic.. you'll be fine. Just remember your first year is for enjoying, do lots cos when you get into your later years you suddenly go 'damn, I've got to work quite hard' amd so long as you put the effort your second and third years you'll be ok. Just make sure you enjoy it. Uni's about picking up some life experiences, not just studying.
I just finished my BA in Ancient World Studies, got a 2/1, just going on to do an MA in Public Archaeology in september, all at UCL.
In the words of the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy; DON'T PANIC!!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

jimsBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
yeah dont panic....1st year is really daunting to start with but soon you'll settle in and have a brilliant and intoxicated time. infact 1st year is soo good that ive changed my course so i can be a fresher all over again....hurrah!!!! james x

ps. oh yeah anyone starting at portsmouth??? if so loook here https://www.jugglepompey.co.uk
and we will look after you

enjoy boredom.its all you have to look forward to

Lozziemember
9 posts

Posted:
Cheers 4 all the advice guys. Feel a lot better now, especially as i've found loads of spinners and jugglers in Glasgow where i'm studying! Anyone else in Glasgow that spins on HOP?? If so get in touch or just come to the Queen Margaret Student Union soon!!
Cya x
weavesmiley I SPIN THEREFORE I AM weavesmiley

*a hard man is good to find*

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Written by: Urology Centre of Florida

[Old link]
is all the advice i can give!

I speak the truth!!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
only advice i can give, is dont jump into a relationship really quickly - if it goes downhill, you'll spend the next 3 years with that someone.

and 2 minute noodles are great. AUD $0.80 each, and 2 packs makes a meal smile

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i've survived 2 years in the student game so far and seem to have become increasingly addicted to poi, juggling and this website. these two facts are not nessecarily related but all the free time it gives you means you can play more..... biggrin

if you ever get bored of playing (as if) you can even go the library to check out hot members of the opposite sex although it's advisable to wear a clean t-shirt when doing this. as a final resort there's always daytime tv but i seriously advise agaisnt it. other than that what jon says is pretty good.... umm

good luck to all you freshers! smile (and the re-fresher of the uncharichterstically wise words) wink

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

hankyGOLD Member
117 posts

Posted:
i'm just about to start uni/college in blackpool too so i know how u feel - just look at it this way... there's thousands MILLIONS of people in the same boat as us and just as nervous so don't think about it too much and just talk to ppl wink or if that fails just stand and look cute rolleyes

it's a mad world...and i love it!!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
shag everyone- i missed out

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I'm just about to go back for my second year, and my girlfriend went off last weekend for her 1st week... she's getting on really well, despite nearly coming home on the second day!

My advice would be go out, get drunk, be sick, have fun. The start is all about that. Later comes the work.

And all the standard advice... don't go shopping when you're hungry.. make bulk food for lots of people and they'll make some for you.. don't worry if you get homesick/do worry and go to the councellor (sp?)... everyone else wants to make friends and have a good time... start with people as you mean to go on, don't expect them to accept you changing all the time... *stuck for ideas* join the circus soc! And do poi! With other poi types!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Stormy, Queen of VodkaThe HoP Industrial Rainbow Fairy
385 posts

Posted:
I'm going off to portsmouth uni next year and I'm already freaking about about loans and stuff. I have no idea how to finance myself! I don't know much about student loans or ways to pay for uni and it's all VERY scary right now. But I'm trying to relax and see as many adults who know what I'm doing as I can, and talk to one of my older relatives cause he's just finished the same course I'm doing...teaching. It's gonna be scary to start with though :S

†.You've got invisible fangs and cherry nun bangs,
Your erotic cabaret is non stop
You're wearing too many belts
And I bet they leave welts
Shut up and dance cause I wanna pop.†

jimsBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
yay another portsmouth person...hurrah!! well if your comin next year then we should have worked out how to run a society by then. practise makes perfect and all that. and if you already live near then i definatly recommend you come and meet us all tis year. james

enjoy boredom.its all you have to look forward to

Stormy, Queen of VodkaThe HoP Industrial Rainbow Fairy
385 posts

Posted:
That would be really cool biggrin Yeah I got my application all sorted out and I'll be there next year! It would be great to join up with you guys when I get there. A bit of support from spinners would be the best thing ever to settle in. I wouldn't be all alone then lol! I live just outside Havant, so I might take you up on that offer!

†.You've got invisible fangs and cherry nun bangs,
Your erotic cabaret is non stop
You're wearing too many belts
And I bet they leave welts
Shut up and dance cause I wanna pop.†

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fire+Cat=Woof

shag everyone- i missed out

But use a condom or bad things happen! and not if you've got a girl/boy-friend.

And check to see if someone thinks your there boy/girl friend even if you don't think you are.

Learn to drink tea and/or coffee without milk (you can never trust it and there's nothing worst than waking up in the evening and pouring bad milk in your tea.)

What UCOF said don't smoke to much.

Make friends with some one who always goes in so you can borrow notes.. (one time I borrowed notes off a mate of mine. "Cheers" I Said "these are really good." he replied "Err Dude you wrote them!")

As UCOF said don't smoke to much

Turn up for the last two weeks before exams as that's when they go over everything that's they've done in the year.

Also take pictures! I have none and remember very little. frown but do know that it rocked biggrin

Living in halls is great for the first year but go and run free into the city after that.

Don't sleep with your mates sister/brother. Bad things can only happen.

don't sleep with your girl/boy-friends best mate. As above.

And have fun biggrin biggrin

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx