Forums > Social Chat > Things you beleived when you were a kid...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I so love those stories

In French we use the same word (CROISSANT) to describe the moon' crescent (is that the correct word ?) and those lovely pastries called croissants... so when i was little, I used to always thank the moon for making me those lovely croissants I had for breakfast

how about you ?

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
I too thought I could control the weather, especially rain and lightning. And yes, I also believe I still can...hehe

My child hood was amazing. I didn't go to school. I learnt everything about life and nature at home (how dodgy does that sound?!?! ha ha). Instead of sending me to school, my mum used to take us away on holidays or little trips of different types. Like one day we'd have a 'Stars and moons' day out or a 'How do plants grow holiday?' - and we'd go camping, and go on little adventures each day, and as we went along she would explain 'where that tree came from' and 'how you can tell how old a tree was' and 'how plants allow us to live' and 'why lots of plants are green' etc in a scientific but fun way. Thats how I learnt everything. I didn't enter a school until I was 8 or 9. Boy did that cause some problems!! The education system in this country is wrong. And it hated me. But who cares, I'm happy! I remember dancing in the rain and lying in an empty field looking at stars; going to the sea side and playing in the sea, all while she explained where the rain came from, about planets and stars and space in general, and how fish breathed underwater etc. amazing.

But yeah, my childhood was superb. I guess thats why my imagination is so advanced, as I've been trainning it from day one. And more to the point, I've been encouraged to explore it. Thats unusual in people today. It's all FACT FACT FACT...... *stops before she goes into one of her rantings about how some people on this earth really do suck* calm.....

....erm, I'm going to ask my mum If i thought anything else weird....

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
When I was young I thought court systems were just, that the USA was a free country that never hurt it's own citixens for no reason, (even if it screwed up other places) and that if something reeally bad happened to children someone would help them.

growing up sucks, eh?

Growing up has caused me to beilive more in intuition tho. and mor ein my gut instinct. unfortunetly, as these things are frowned upon, it's easy to convince me i'm wrong (after all, sometimes i don't pay enough to what's goin on, and then i [i am [/i wrong) but more to the point i could have saved myself a lot of trouble. oh well.

oi, i talk to inanimate objects all the time. however, it's more of a thinking out loud sort of thing...

on thoughts of toys coming to life.... weeeellll, as it happens my stepmother teaches high school biology. i don't remember what exactly they were talking about, but a girl in one of her classes brought up the idea of toys being alive, and what would they be classified as... which is an intereesting question, imo, even though i don't belive they are alive in a concious sense. but i have to a) give her credit for being brave enough/ dumb enough to say that in high school... and b) give the class credit for choosing to change the subject and not argu e with or make fun of her!

I still belive in love... and that people who say it mean it, at least some of the time. *tends to enjoy lovingness* just remember- you don't have to like someone to love them. key to finding your soulmate? find someone who you both like & love- and who both likes and loves you. oops, tall order. but i have faith.

quote:
Originally posted by Flynt:
i also used to beleive that if you thought everything was going to be ok, some how it magically would be! being an adult sucks, i miss my blissful ignorance of "reality"
oi, yes change!
If you really really belive in your heart, you'd be amazed what happens! it might not be super short term, it might not quite what you imagined- but it will be good! oi, i'm aout to strat preaching a crazy faith in the world that not a lot of people have, so i'll stop. - but i was given every reason to disbelive, and i did- but now i do- and it's amazing- it's ok if ur faith lapse's... mine did... but ..ok, i'm babbling. just belive in things being good!

quote:
Orginally posted by Arashi:
as a small kid, (i should have been out playing) i thought very much about infinity, and what it really is. i believed that each molecule was a universe and each universe was a molecule in another dimension.
wow! i so totally belived this when i was younger! i still love all sorts of universe theories adn stuff. i love crazy wags, ilove hints of truth. i'm starting to discover some nutty stuff.... have faith i s'pose.

imagination is lurvely, isn't it? i know now why i couldn't deal with this lurvely thread at 330 AM! oh and small boy claims i shouldn't apologize for my menghth... so i won't... but i hope yall didn't get crazy bored... it's a great topic...

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I've always been a scientist at heart, and so I didn't believe in a lot of the kind of things that kids tend to believe in. I knew there was a problem with the Santa Claus story the first time I heard it, but I did believe in the tooth fairy for a while.

Mostly, I just got confused about names. For example, my parents had station wagons. My friends' parents had sedans for the most part. One day, my dad's car had to go in for repair and we got a loaner, which was a sedan. My mom told me that the car was a loaner, so for the next several years, I thought that "loaner" was what you call a sedan. It wasn't until I was 13 or so that I learned the word "sedan."

It wasn't until I got to college and started taking upper-level science courses that the beliefs that I had held since childhood (falsehoods taught to me by teachers who didn't understand science that well, themselves) got blown out of the water. For example, I learned that infinite precision is impossible. I learned that 2+2 is not always equal to 4 (thanks a lot, Einstein), and that infinity, while always infinite, can be bigger or smaller than other infinities.

And I guess when I got thrown into that wild world, I began a second childhood. It's one that I never want to leave.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
okay, now, if you girls don't stop telling such cute sweet stories i'm gonna burst! aaaaah! cutesy overload! my brain is boiling!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
Well, aside from also having to keep my entire body covered up while sleeping to escape the gremlins under my bed (One little line in the Gremlins left me paranoid for years) -

Before I started learning about the solar system I thought that the Earth consisted of a huge clear ball that had the sun, moon and stars inside of it.. The moon and sun, of course, just circled around our planet (the center of the universe, I guess. That was my version of the solar system at a young age, but now things make much more sense... Or at least leave a lot more up to the imagination...

I also used to ponder for hours about what would happen if there was no universe - just nothing.... it couldn't be all black and dark, because there is no color... no life... no existence... would everything just be clear????? No one would be around to see anything, so......... I never really got any further than this in my ponderings, but it often fluttered into my thoughts...

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
I came from a test tube in a Canadian Laboratory. So.... My only fond memorys were of the strange man with the pokey thing

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Dibs, I consistently meet a man who tells me we control the weather with our spinning and that my flags have extra special weather controlling powers. Maybe he's right, or maybe he's taken too much acid!

I can't think of what I used to believe as a kid. I was always day dreaming and I was very into science and finding out how things worked. My bed time books were encyclopedias!

However I still talk to inanimate objects and get frightened of monsters in dark corners and down the toilet

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I used to really believe in the tooth fairy, to the extent where I used to try & stay awake to catch her. I used to hide my lost teeth inside my pillow case to ensure that I would have enough time to wake up & catch her in the special little net i kept under my bed.

The most extreme case was when i lost a tooth, but didn't tell my parents about it, then laid in wait for the tooth fairy to come. After about 3 nights with no monetary return, I went up to my mum & told her that the tooth fairy had forgotten me. Oddly enough, the tooth fairy came that night

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
This thread is allowing many a forgotten pleasant memory to resurface, hooray for cass!
Ima not demeaning to dibs when i say that i admire dib's innocence - to not let crapness of life to taint yaself too much is sadly rare. To be able to goof around and disregard the opinions of others (especially those in the psychiatry ) is the science of sillyness - with the benefits in peace of mind being underestimated. tee hee.
To go away for a few days to a hippyfest in the woods is renewal for me - if i don't return to an environment where i can Escape It All and just be, then I'll explode. City life is not a patch on hippy culture, probably cus hippy culture embraces the happiness that rat-racers presume to equate materialism to.

Goddamn i feel jaded amongst sober people! - I play best with wasted friends and small children, when the playgroup isn't weighed down by shitty sexual tension or work responsibilities etc. that's probs why I relate more to hippies and ravers which explains why i luv bushdoof - the crossdress of both!

dammit the more i read about these toilet shenanigans, the more i un-forget that the ruckus of a flushing toilet would send me into a flee.

/holds it in:o

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
i firmly carried around with me a group of imaginary people i used to call 'my boys' as a little tike, but oh, did they get me in trouble and did i tear stuff up! i used to blame them... painting the floor, unweaving the wicker bottomed chairs, stashing beer in my toy chest... and then one day my mother said 'my boys' arent allowed to come over to grandmas house, and then i thought, whoa, they arent really real! what is this lady talking about! they arent real. are they???

Wow

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
i'm so goth, when i was a kid i used to believe i was unhappy all the time.

now that i have gotten bigger and unhappier i believe it will only get worse.

of course, i was told that you can't always be what you believe you can be, because all the other orphans were so goth too.

so i ended up confused as well. now i believe i used to believe in something, but have decided it is better to believe in nothing.

for chotys benefit, this is all true. very true.

4,224 posts

Posted:
::smiles and hugs o-o ... even though he / she does not really want to::

come play with us... playing and being silly is good medication... it does not mean you don't know what is going on around you, it's just that you don't let it beat you up

Rozi ... the tooth fairy ??? wow that's sweet ... In France it is a little mouse that does the job. you put the tooth under the pillow and the next morning you have 5 francs (damn ... wait a minute ... wwe changed for Euros recently ... hope the mouse has got a pocket converter )

Shibaki ... maybe your friends were somewhat related to my imaginary friend Loule ? like "cousins from the USA" ?

one day, it was raining outside and so cold too ..; and I ... kinda took all the flowers out of the dirt outisde the house to wrap them in a warm blanket and bring them back inside...
For some odd reason my parents did not like it too much ...

shine on
Cassandra

smiley_dup1member
108 posts

Posted:
Sort of gross. But when I was a kid mum told me that poo was all the bad stuff that was in food, she also said that lollies were bad food.... I could never understand why I didn't shit chocolate eclairs/fantails.

I don't like living below the tropic of Capricorn..... and now I seem to be in England...... how did I get here???

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
My dad used to hide under the staris and grab our feet when we came past. Really mean if you ask me. SOmeone told me it was a goblin and from that day I've had to run and jump up the stairs in the dark. It feels like if I break the routine now I'll be asking for trouble..........

The same goes for getting into bed. I can't walk next to the bed if the lights are off in case the goblins get me. I have to be in bed before I turn the lights off or jump from the lightswitch to my bed in the dark.

But these are things I continue to believe - It has nothing to do with 'when I was younger'

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
When I was very little we used to go on big trips in the car and when we were driving back at nightime I used to watch the moon outta the rearvision window and watch how she seemed to follow us all the way home... Like she was travelling with us... I remember asking mum about it one night and she told me that Mother Moon would travel with us the whole way until she knew we were safe in bed because we were too important to travel unprotected....
I also remember my nana telling me that I shouldn't point my finger when I was speaking because I would poke a hole in the air and a fairy would fall out... I was very upset about that so I still to this day will not point my finger in the air in case I disrupt a fairy in midflight.......

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
It's really windy here today, and I remembered something else I used to beleive:

If you make a face, and the wind changes, you'll stay like that forever. It used to terrify me that the wind would change when I had the most stupid expression on my face

Hang on, maybe it did?

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Hey Valura, that's so beautiful!

I used to watch the moon like that too... and when I asked about it... My Dad tried to give me a very scientific explination.... but yours is much more fun!

I've noticed there are alot of funny stories here involving older brothers/sisters/mums/dads etc telling you stuff and you believing them.... at what point should you trust a person to be truthful??? It's easy to believe the words of someone you respect and trust...:*

On a similar note... I do fairy parties and tell the kids all sorts of fairy stories... It only just hit me now that I'm sort of in a wierd way... lieing to them... Do you think that's bad?

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
When I was a kid I believed the police were for goodguys, that drugs were bad for you, fire was dangerous, the government successfully ran the country and that getting married would be a good idea........how are we supposed to believe in our parents after being fed that bullshit?
The only truth they let me in on was about Santa Claus. That guy is one of my tru stabilities in life.....imagine how crap life would be without him coming once a year.........

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
my auntie used to tell me and my sister if the siren was going off on an ice-cream van, it had run out of lollies... didn't know any better until we were about 9 or 10...

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Moon Pixie, it's not so much lieing, as feeding the imagination and that in turn helps create wonderful minds!

4,224 posts

Posted:
I just think the bad part is when kids start asking question and start doubting, to continue and insist and use the obvious power to sort of CONVINCE them that this fat smelly man with half his beard un glued IS Santa Claus ...

What I usually do is ask them : "what do YOU think" and sort of take it from there...

3,492 posts

Posted:
ye' I guess we kinda do that to... like with the older kids who just don't believe in fairies and stuff.... There is no point trying to convince them....

But if they say "I don't believe you are a real fairy".... I tell them that I don't believe they are a real girl/boy... keehehe ... 'cause quite often they're dressed up too... I tell them that they look way too much like a fairy to be a real girl! Makes 'em think... and we get to share a little joke together... Both of us actually knowing the truth.

And thanks Dom... you kinda helped me feel alright about making up my magical fairy stories...

[ 05 July 2002, 22:07: Message edited by: .:* Moon Pixie *:. ]

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
making it up? lying?!? uhhhh...fairies are as real as you or me. i'm pretty surprised! are you into fairies then because acting like one makes you feel like you can release your inner child? that's cool and all, but perhaps you should find out more about them... they are not just some cool character to play, there is an actual basis for the belief in them. i feel rather dissillusioned after reading that, i thought that along with this weird new "fairy" fashion trend went along with an understanding of what they were, but i guess not...
go take some drugs, or meditate for a long time, or do SOMETHING that will turn down the brain chatter, and then go into the woods, and look at dragonflies or moths for a while. see what happens.

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

3,492 posts

Posted:
Wow... um sorry to give you the wrong impression about what I believe....

I KNOW (not just think or believe) that fairies exist and are as real as us.... totally agree with you there

With fairie parties though... the little girls (and there mums) sometimes get abit scared (or don't understand what you're on about) if you get into too much of the sirious folk law stuff... The stories I make up are just simple little girl kind of stories....about bubbles and rainbows and all that fluffy stuff... and I know that there are alot more to fairies than that. For the parties, I guess I do go along with this "fairie trend" 'cause that's what the client is expecting when they book us to come and facilitate their (very special) child's birthday party.... A pretty "clasical" sparkley fairie that tells fairy stories and sprinkles fairy dust and all that....

But yes, I know fairies aren't make-believe and there is SO much more to them than just fairy dust and sparkles...

Hope you haven't lost all rspect for me there, friend.

Fwirl :pmember
76 posts

Posted:
God, my mum STILL tells me not to play with fire! hahaha....lol...
luv 2 ya all
Lyd's

Neo:Wow, that sounds like a really good deal, but I have a better one. How about I give you the finger and you give me my phone call?

Availablemember
93 posts

Posted:
i believed that i could catch smurfs and that my "imaginarey" friend gerital and her friends were very real. i still do but i know now i was playing with fairies. and i still do.

i believed that if i ate the pits or seeds of fruit they would plant in my body and grow out of my nose and ears. thanx dad! luckly its not true.

i believed that i was put onto this earthly plane as Sara Mich for very great purposes. thanx mom and i belive its true.

i believed that i had the same powers as the care bears. look out for my care bear stare!

to know a mich is to love a mich

Better to Burn out than Fade out, Baby!

Kez-Schmezmember
30 posts

Posted:
Toilets still freak me . I still run away from them when they're flushing.
All because of the bloody Gremlins!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
but uff cose knot, my widdle pixie fwend

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
It took my father some very fast talking to convince me that the toilet and the bathroom were safe after watching 'IT'.... that movie scared the bejeesus out of me!!!
"We all float down here Gorgie!!!"...
I was sure that ole mate Pennywise the clown was about to make an apperance out of the drain and take me away to float with him... funny, I still have a distrust of some clowns....

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Page: