• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 1...910111213
_Clare_
_Clare_

Still wiggling
Total posts: 5967
Posted:Hi there everyone,

After a couple of requests, some consideration and my own rather curvaceous tangent on the thread for the Russian families of the school massacre I decided to start a thread dedicated to interesting issues in the daily news (or even the daily news itself, anything news-related really you get the idea).

Ive done a search and while theres hundreds of threads for individual news stories, I couldnt find one for an ongoing discussion of whats happening in the world around us.

I know lots of people dont follow the news, but many do, and my opinion is that discussion on current events gives people a better understanding of nations, races and humanity, for want of a better word.

HoP is in the enviable position of having a really global audience there cant be many websites with regular posting members from right across the world, covering such a wide spectrum of cultures, ideas and beliefs. We have the ability to look at events from many different viewpoints, so I thought we should use it.

Anyways, I was thinking we could post, or draw attention to, some of the main stories that affect us on a daily basis

Btw, I really dont want this to become an America-bashing thread (or any other type of bashing). I think most of us share the view that the American government are fairly appalling at the minute, and while criticism will definitely happen, I dont want any Americans on the site to feel victimised or that pro-Bush types feel their views arent valid. Try to keep all the views considered and, if possible, sourced.

So anyways, let me know what you think

A couple of interesting stories I picked up on today were:

Indonesia has become the latest nation to join the war on terrorism following the car bomb at the Australian embassy which killed 9 people and injured 180 I heard an Indonesian government official (I think it was the spokesman for the Indonesian foreign ministry) say they are 'now ready to join the war on terror', after it was alleged the militant Islamic group Jemaah Islamiah were responsible. (sorry, am about to leave work and couldn't find a source... will try to get it tomorrow).

Also, US secretary of state Colin Powell has declared the situation in Sudan a genocide:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3641820.stm
br>
It seems the countries are busy arguing over the term genocide as opposed to actually getting out there with aid and peacekeeping forces.

Anyways, Id be interested to hear anyones opinions on these stories as well as anything else youd like to bring up

Thanks
take care
Clare xox

Getting to the other side smile

Delete Topic

Durbs
Durbs

Classically British
Total posts: 5688
Posted:http://www.nzherald.co.nz/search/story.cfm?storyid=00010452-DAEA-1541-A89C83027AF1010E
br>
This case came into the headlines when we were in NZ - the whole thing was pretty off, not only the murder but the lack of communication and closing of ranks etc etc.

4 months on and they've only just arrested someone...
Sad stuff

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

Durbs
Durbs

Classically British
Total posts: 5688
Posted:Oh hang on, that's a month old...
D'oh

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI
Total posts: 3556
Posted:This happened while i was at work...you couldn't feel the explosion here

I knew a few people over there from my last job, not closely but acquaintances

Witness says explosion sounded like 'incoming mortar round'
By MARK JOHNSON and GINA BARTON
markjohnson@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Dec. 6, 2006
The blast from Falk Corp. ripped through the 8 a.m. morning bustle, shaking workers and commuters.

Dave Mays, 61, a machinist, was working in the Annex when he and his co-workers smelled gas. They called their supervisor who said workers had shut off the gas and it was OK.

"I left," Mays said, "but some of them stayed."

His back was turned when the explosion erupted behind him, knocking him to the ground.

"It sounded like I was over in Vietnam - an incoming mortar round," said Mays who served in the Army in Vietnam.

Kevin Carter, 42, was running a machine when all the lights went out and the explosion rocked his ears.

"I thought an airplane hit the building," he said. "Everyone ran outside but debris from the building (that had exploded) was flying down."

Outside, said Mike Eddy, 38, "there were cars flipped over and people lying on the ground ... it was bad, really bad."

Nothing remains of the building but the steel frame, Eddy said. "It's just gone, it's just gone. I don't know what to say"

The morning commute was in full swing and Jack Copet had just merged from Miller Parkway onto I-94 East when he heard a deep KA-THUNK, so loud that he thought something large had tipped over inside his trunk.

Instantly he remembered that the trunk of his 2000 Saturn was empty and he thought maybe he'd been rear-ended. Then the 31-year-old quality control analyst looked to his right and just ahead of him off the highway he saw a huge, dark black plume of smoke.

"It was almost like when the Twin Towers came down," he said. "I could see timber floating, flying off like in the movies. I thought, man, that was some power. It was scary. Everyone in my lane slammed on their brakes. The plume of smoke was black, but just for an instant you could see something red like flames."

Katie Porter was driving to work, following her normal route from Wauwatosa down Highway 41 and through the Menomonee Valley on Canal Street to the Third Ward, when her Saturn Ion was shoved off the side of the road.

"There was a truck or a van next to me and I thought it had slammed into me," Porter said. "But I looked and it had stopped behind me."

Then she noticed the smoke and falling debris and focused on the distant factory.

"I saw the building explode outward and then just fall in," she said. "The walls were pushed outward and the whole thing collapsed and there was black smoke."

Porter assumed it was part of a planned demolition of the building, and wondered why they had not stopped traffic on the road. "I know there are foundries back there," she said. But I wasn't sure they were in use."

On 27th Street near the Domes, Nanette Fox heard the explosion and saw pedestrians jump. Car alarms went off up and down the street.

As Fox drove across the bridge, chunks of debris thudded onto her car and the thick smoke made it difficult to see the road ahead of her.

About the same time, Jill Huffer was driving north across the 27th Street Viaduct, taking her two kids - Calvin, 9, and Casey, 5, to Hawley Environmental School. It was not their normal route, but Calvin had a 7 a.m. appointment at the orthodontist.

"I heard this big boom and it felt like I blew a tire," Huffer said. "I saw smoke. I saw debris flying way into the sky and then I saw a flash and then fire blast down on the ground."

She kept driving, not knowing if there were other cars behind her. She found herself crying as she drove.

Calvin asked what was wrong.

"I just kept thinking there were people in there," Huffer said.

At least 2 dead in Falk explosion, officials say
Propane believed to be cause of blast
Journal Sentinel staff

Posted: Dec. 6, 2006
Updated 10:55 a.m. | Continuous updates in NewsWatch

At least 2 workers were killed in an explosion this morning at the Falk Corp. plant in the Menomonee Valley, the Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's office has reported.

The fire department has asked the Medical Examiner's office to standby while they continue to work to secure the blast site.

At least one other worker is reported missing.

The blast just after 8 a.m., believed to be caused by a propane-fueled explosion, destroyed a building in the company's complex, injured numerous workers and rumbled through much of the city.

The frightened relatives of Falk workers rushed to Miller Park, where blast survivors assembled following the explosion that rattled much of the city and some of the suburbs.

"I'm going home and I hope that's the case for the rest of my co-workers," said Glenn Cahala, who works in a main office separate from the building destroyed in the explosion.

"I can't think of what this means for some families, this time of year," he said. "I can't tell you how sad this is."

Dozens of workers, many of them with cuts and bruises caused by flying glass and debris, arrived at area hospitals throughout the morning.

A dozen injured workers were taken to Froedtert Hospital about 9 a.m., another four workers with minor injuries arrived at St. Mary's Hospital on the east side. Others were being taken to Sinai Samaritan Medical center downtown and St. Luke's Medical Center, at 2900 W. Oklahoma Ave.

Police spokeswoman Anne E. Schwartz urged residents and relatives of Falk workers to stay away from the area. There are numerous underground propane tanks on the property and fire officials fear additional explosions, she said.

Fire, police and emergency medical crews gathered in the parking lots of Miller Park to coordinate efforts to rescue victims and fight the fire that followed the blast. Smoke billowed from the floor of the Valley just south of I-94, obscuring the sky and causing traffic to slow to a crawl.

"All I can see is the a smokestack that says 'Falk,' " said the fire department's Jenkins.

Initial reports suggest a 10,000-gallon propane tank exploded in a warehouse that was destroyed in the blast.

Residents heard and felt the explosion in the downtown condominiums, houses in Bay View and offices on the far southwest side - even as far away as New Berlin.

Industrial workers in and around the Menomonee Valley described a war-like scene as the explosion knocked out windows and kicked up blinding clouds of dust.

"It felt like an earthquake," said Jeff Iding, a laborer at the family-owned M.P. Iding Company.

Jack Copet saw the aftereffects of the blast from the rear window of his Saturn, as he drove eastbound on I-94.

"It was almost like when the Twin Towers came down," said Copet, a 31-year-old quality control analyst from West Allis.

"I could see timber floating, flying off like in the movies," he said. "I thought, man, that was some power. It was scary. Everyone in my lane slammed on their brakes."

We Energies responded to the Falk scene this morning as well, after receiving reports of the explosion and an odor of gas or a natural gas leak, said utility spokesman Barry McNulty.

No natural gas leak was found when utility crews arrived, he added. Firefighters had cut off natural gas service to Falk, to help them maintain safety.

The explosion disrupted a distribution feeder that provides electricity service to 14 customers, including Falk, in the area. Power was restored to about nine customers, while five others including Falk had power withheld at the request of firefighters, McNulty said.

Falk and its manufacturing and warehouse complex along Canal St. is owned by the Rexnord Corp., which purchased the old Falk Corp. in May 2005. Roughly 700 workers are employed at the Falk complex, which continues to manufacture gears and industrial equipment.

Falk is one of Milwaukee's oldest manufacturing businesses, having opened its doors as a brewery in 1856. After finding success in foundry work, it transformed itself into a gear company in 1899.

The business went through many hands over the years, most recently being sold to the Rexnord Corp. for $295 million in May 2005. Included in the deal was the valley complex, which is 1.5 million square feet, according to documents filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

The federal government has fined Falk twice for safety violations in the last five years, records from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration indicate.

In March, 2004, the agency assessed a $1,875 penalty against the company for air contamination involving silica crystalline quartz dust. The case was settled with a $950 payment, records indicate.

In December 2003, OSHA assessed a $4,500 penalty for a violation involving powered industrial trucks. That case was settled with a $2,700 payment.

The industrial-truck violation was classified as serious - meaning that the problem could have caused death or serious injury and that the company knew of it or should have known. The potential for injury from the air-contamination problem was not serious.

The corporation's long history in Milwaukee has included a fire that destroyed the business in 1889 and an explosion that killed one worker and injured 11 others in 1964.

In 1992, federal investigators cleared the company of wrongdoing in the 1991 death of Hugo Schulz, an employee from Brookfield, who was killed when a 1,000-pound clutch fell on him. OSHA found that Falk hadn't violated safety standards in the fatal accident, but the agency proposed a fine against the company for an unrelated violation that turned up in the investigation of Schulz's death.

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:hookers and those dressing like hookers beware
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061213/ap_on_re_eu/britain_prostitutes_murdered

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

jeff(fake)
jeff(fake)

Scientist of Fortune
Total posts: 1189
Posted: Written by: faithinfire

hookers and those dressing like hookers beware

Is that big news in America as well?

Britain has suddenly become uncharacteristically interesting with radioactive spy plots and serial killers. eek

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:it was on yahoo

Faith

Delete

_Clare_
_Clare_

Still wiggling
Posted:Parents who don't give support to have passports removed:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6174671.stm
br>
Surgery suggested for grossly overweight teenagers: eek
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6169333.stm
br>
Turkish airlines sacrifice camel:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6175893.stm

Delete

Spanner
Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here
Total posts: 2790

hookers and those dressing like hookers beware

Bit out of order confused
That sounds like the old "asking for it" view on rape frown
Police are giving safety advice to all women in the Ipswich area, regardless of what they're wearing.

Anyway:

Karate kid Mollie (2!) gains red belt cool

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

Neon_Shaolin
Neon_Shaolin

hehe, 'Member' huhuh
Total posts: 6120
Posted:Related to the prostitute murders...

Written by: imdb

Hollywood director Oliver Stone shocked the audience at last night's British Comedy Awards in London by joking about the recent murders of five prostitutes. The Suffolk killings, thought to be the work of a serial killer, have dominated British headlines this week and Platoon movie-maker Stone's bad-taste gag was met with horror by the celebrity audience including Sacha Baron Cohen and Charlotte Church. On presenting the Best Comedy Film prize to Wallace And Gromit creator Nick Park, the American quipped, "It's great to be back in England. I feel like Jack The Ripper (prolific 19th century serial killer) days are back. Nothing ever changes here." Realizing the gag had bombed, Stone jeered, "You're a lovely crowd."

So much for being the social conscience of America!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Delete

_Clare_
_Clare_

Still wiggling
Posted:Spanner... yep, I was thinking the same thing...

Hope you're well lady hug

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/10536487/detail.html?rss=mil&psp=news
br>
some people say mutation, but i was thinking a twin thing where the second gets absorbed into the other...both sex organs were present and there were 7 legs, i bet a genetics test would be really cool

Faith

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:double posting
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070110/ennew_afp/afpentertainmentus_070110163008
br>this was just too funny not to post...i am sure someone will disagree on the humor but geeks will be geeks and bully's don't change
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=550842
br>this just makes me angry...people standing around doing nothing in a situation irritates me
http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/10708117/detail.html?rss=mil&psp=news
br>i feel bad for these kids...they tried to ban cell phones on campus but no they called when they got outside...i'm sure many of these kids are good kids, just like any other school.
http://www.channel3000.com/news/10713905/detail.html?rss=c3k&psp=news
br>i hope there is accountability with this...i understand that manufacturing has a lot of variables but there should have been something of an ignored warning...otherwise they weren't looking close enough
http://www.channel3000.com/news/10715007/detail.html?rss=c3k&psp=news
br>no it wasn't my postman

Faith

Delete

MikefromGlos
MikefromGlos

Hitman
Total posts: 985

ttp://www.channel3000.com/news/10715007/detail.html?rss=c3k&psp=news[/url]
no it wasn't my postman

I was thinking more along the lines of Strugz it was a van so my question is strugz have you been trying to fake being a postman and got attracted when drunk to a long cylinder which looks almost like a staff that was stuck in the ground with a silly sign ubblol

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:hey if they're in waukesha that would be great, drunk or not

Faith

Delete

strugz
strugz

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3964
Posted: Written by: MikefromGlos

I was thinking more along the lines of Strugz it was a van so my question is strugz have you been trying to fake being a postman and got attracted when drunk to a long cylinder which looks almost like a staff that was stuck in the ground with a silly sign ubblol

Dude - id hardly fake trying to be a postman, i think if i wanted that job i could get it easy enough ubbloco

Drinking and driving is not really my thing, however on the one occassion i did have an accident screwing my otherwise 8 year clean liscense.......... alchohol was involved, well the fact that it was a pub i crashed the van into .....it was done gently mind, with great attention to detail. wink

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Delete

Birgit
Birgit

had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
Total posts: 4145
Posted:very sad video frown

http://www.glumbert.com/media/dolphin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Delete

Spanner
Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here
Total posts: 2790
Posted:100th British serviceman to die in Iraq

This post is a bit late as this happened at the beginning of the month but I've just realised that I was at school with his fiancee.

We got back in touch briefly while she was doing her degree and she sounded really happy... and now all this frown

ubbcrying

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

FireTom
Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:I don't want threads that can be labelled as "anti-american" pile up in my "resumee"...

Dunno whether this would be worth it's own thread - IF YOU reckon, you are welcomed to copy and paste. I guess the U.S. is actually receiving enough criticism...

So here ya go:

A multinational poll finds that publics around the world reject the idea that the United States should play the role of preeminent world leader. Most publics say the United States plays the role of world policeman more than it should, fails to take their countrys interests into account and cannot be trusted to act responsibly. (...)

But the survey also finds that majorities in most countries want the United States to participate in international efforts to address world problems. Views are divided about whether the United States should reduce the number of military bases it has overseas. Moreover, many publics think their countrys relations with the United States are improving.

(taken from: World Public Opinion)

Written by: AFP

"There's clearly a trend in terms of deepening negative attitudes to the US in how it executes foreign policy," said Christopher Whitney, executive director for studies at the Chicago Council on Global Affairs which helped coordinate the 18-country study.

The United States has long faced criticism internationally for its interventionalist foreign policy, Whitney said. This survey found that the frustration is broader in scope than previously thought and has deepened in the wake of the war in Iraq.

But mixed with this frustration is an understanding that the US has a significant role to play internationally and should not withdraw completely, Whitney said. He noted there was not consistent support for closing US military bases overseas and that many respondents felt that their bilateral relationship with the United States was improving.

"It is not a consistent message of 'we don't want the US to be involved,' it's more nuanced," Whitney said. "They just want the US to play a more cooperative role and be a more constructive international player in terms of working through international organizations and listening to allies and friends when they have concerns."

antire erticle

Watch the questionnaire

What do YOU think?

I reckon the US are going through tough times right now, a true "higher and fire" position.

Maybe this is a time for reconsideration of elementary values and policies, maybe the US are willing to make a change - maybe. I truely hope so, because - even if it's not becoming apparent these days - I do l.o.v.e. the country(side) and individually I even appreciate much of the easy-going attitude (of most americans I encountered personally). Would be nice, if that nation would live up to their own ideals...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

_Clare_
_Clare_

Still wiggling
Posted:Damn... it's been a while since I've been in here!

Sorry bout that redface

But I had to post about the 'historic' (argh.... that word!!!) first meeting of Northern Ireland's own government.

Despite healthy doses of cynicism, I am quite optimistic that this could be the start of something good here.

The momentum has been created... and the will is there...

Belfast rocks... you all should visit biggrin

'Historic' day for Northern Ireland

In other news...

Yes, hundreds of children are snatched every day, around the world for terrible reasons by sick men... but this one appears to have caught public attention (probably because she's white, blonde and pretty).

But nonetheless... it's terrible to think what her mother and father are going through, and what they must be thinking.

Latest Madeleine story

There is no doubt that Eurovision is drivel... but make sure you watch it this weekend... because our lovely Antti is going to be in the final show biggrin

Hurrah!

Heckle from your living room wink

Please keep posting local and national stories of interest.... from where you are

xx

Delete

_Clare_
_Clare_

Still wiggling
Posted:Mars to start using animal products...

Delete

Sparklygreenfire
Sparklygreenfire

*Green Spirit*
Total posts: 201
Posted:'"Mars products are very popular with young people and many will be shocked to discover that their manufacture now relies on the extraction of rennet from the stomach lining of young calves," it added.' (Taken from above report)

Eeuww...eek

Also..

'Masterfoods said the change was due to it switching the sourcing of its ingredients and the admission was a "principled decision" on its part. '

...no doubt cheaper for them, but bet they bump the price we pay up!!

frown

Are you a robot...or an alien?

Delete

_Clare_
_Clare_

Still wiggling
Posted:Yep... quite unbelievable that a chocolate company (in the days when eating lots of sugar is generally considered bad for you) would actually choose to alienate quite a large market (vegetarians).

The fools!

rolleyes

And speaking of which...

US army bans it's soldiers from using YouTube and MySpace - y'know, just in case they should show the world how hellish war is...

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:that and they have much more important things to do than make videos to post. the videos might also give away locations and informaotion that put soldiers in danger because someone pulled a geraldo.

Faith

Delete

_Clare_
_Clare_

Still wiggling
Posted:Surely soldiers wouldn't be jeopardising their own locations though?

And they must have time off... (quite apart from any perceived moral duty to let people back home know what it's like).

Y'see... I can completely understand them wanting to use those sites to stay in touch with family and friends.

Iraq and Afghanistan can't be fun places to work and so any level of comfort must be welcome... taking away that comfort will not go down well, I suspect.

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:i'm not saying they would necessarily do it on purpose, but who knows even. It's scarey because your loved ones rely on the sanity of others in an insane situation that breaks people.
I agree it would be nice to have video postcards, but there is a strong possibility of something going wrong shrug

Faith

Delete

LazyAngel
LazyAngel

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 2895
Posted:Cutty Sark catches fire! eek ubbcrying

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article2565276.ece

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Delete

Richee
HOP librarian
Total posts: 1841
Posted: Written by:

....."two Czech people, got temporary prisoned during wildfire affecting Greece, for 'manipulation with fire' "....

unofficialy,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

robnunchucks
robnunchucks

enthusiast
Total posts: 363
Posted:bit of intresting news the vatican has urged catholics to end support for amnesty international

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6750887.stm

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

Delete

Rouge Dragon
Rouge Dragon

Insert Champagne Here
Total posts: 13215
Posted:just goes to prove that the church isn't actually interested in helping people at all.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Delete

faith enfire
faith enfire

Posted:Why does it mean that they aren't interested in helping people?
They aren't wanting to support abortions. That itself is helping people.

Amnesty has enough problems as it is.

Faith

Delete

Page: 1...910111213