Page: ...
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hi there everyone,

After a couple of requests, some consideration and my own rather curvaceous tangent on the thread for the Russian families of the school massacre… I decided to start a thread dedicated to interesting issues in the daily news (or even the daily news itself, anything news-related really… you get the idea).

I’ve done a search and while there’s hundreds of threads for individual news stories, I couldn’t find one for an ongoing discussion of what’s happening in the world around us.

I know lots of people don’t follow the news, but many do, and my opinion is that discussion on current events gives people a better understanding of nations, races and ‘humanity’, for want of a better word.

HoP is in the enviable position of having a really global audience – there can’t be many websites with regular posting members from right across the world, covering such a wide spectrum of cultures, ideas and beliefs. We have the ability to look at events from many different viewpoints, so I thought we should use it.

Anyways, I was thinking we could post, or draw attention to, some of the main stories that affect us on a daily basis…

Btw, I really don’t want this to become an America-bashing thread (or any other type of bashing). I think most of us share the view that the American government are fairly appalling at the minute, and while criticism will definitely happen, I don’t want any Americans on the site to feel victimised or that pro-Bush types feel their views aren’t valid. Try to keep all the views considered and, if possible, sourced.

So anyways, let me know what you think…

A couple of interesting stories I picked up on today were:

Indonesia has become the latest nation to join the war on terrorism following the car bomb at the Australian embassy which killed 9 people and injured 180… I heard an Indonesian government official (I think it was the spokesman for the Indonesian foreign ministry) say they are 'now ready to join the war on terror', after it was alleged the ‘militant Islamic group Jemaah Islamiah’ were responsible. (sorry, am about to leave work and couldn't find a source... will try to get it tomorrow).

Also, US secretary of state Colin Powell has declared the situation in Sudan a genocide:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3641820.stm

It seems the countries are busy arguing over the term ‘genocide’ as opposed to actually getting out there with aid and peacekeeping forces.

Anyways, I’d be interested to hear anyone’s opinions on these stories… as well as anything else you’d like to bring up…

Thanks
take care
Clare xox

Getting to the other side smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well today the news is dominated by the Hurricane hitting the Caymans and Cuba... but nobody seems to have much to say about that... so there's one international story I want to raise today, and a few local.

Firstly, the shocking and disgraceful murder, sorry, accidental killing of a journalist working in Iraq.

Yes, all journalists understand the danger of working in a war zone, but these are not stupid people - they do not take unnecessary risks and as you can see from this report, fighting had stopped before they arrived.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3652174.stm

This man put himself into this situation to bring the news of the war to the rest of us (in this case for Arabic television stations al-Arabiya and al-Ikhbariya). To let us see what was going on and to try to make sure, where possible, that we weren't all being duped by a government whitewash.

I would also like to say (and this is my own opinion) that it is a disgrace that so many Arab news networks have lost staff members to the US army. Excuses are continually given, but hard to accept amid boasts of 'smart' weapons.

Mazen Tumeisi was preparing his broadcast when this attack took place... my thoughts are sympathies are with the family of this man.

Lots has happened in the UK and Ireland today as well.

Particularly this:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3652502.stm

Does anyone know anything about Fathers For Justice, or is anyone here involved with that group?! They've made some pretty dramatic, peaceful protests over the last few months - and fair play to them, they have attracted media attention to their cause and hopefully more people are aware now of the injustice of fathers unable to see their children.

https://www.fathers-4-justice.org/

Also, and while I doubt if anyone outside Northern Ireland is going to know anything about this (but hey, tis my thread biggrin), this is a huge story happening here today:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3650842.stm

https://www.serve.com/pfc/

The story is that 15 years ago a Catholic lawyer was shot dead by loyalist gunmen. Pat Finucane did represent IRA members in court, but he was not a member of the IRA.

Anyways, over the years it has become evident that there was collusion between the loyalist paramilitaries who shot Mr Finucane (as he ate his Sunday dinner with his family) and the British government and security forces here. It has been an ongoing struggle for the Finucane family to try to get an independent investigation into the shooting.

Today, Ken Barrett admitted the shooting.

This report was released in England today and I was wondering if anyone identified:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3651498.stm

https://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0021-9630

Are we really getting worse, or just becoming better at identifying trouble?

Finally, I've just put this horrific story on to the world news page of the paper I work for and decided to add it here...

840 million of us are starving

The number of malnourished people worldwide has grown to 840 million – including 300 million children – even though there are ample supplies to feed them, a UN official revealed yesterday.

World Food Programme director James Morris said the

number of malnourished was growing by five million a year, but there were enough resour-ces to rid the world of hunger.

“There is enough money, enough food and enough goodwill in the world. Everyone simply needs to do a little more,” Mr Morris said.

“If the world would be more thoughtful and a tiny bit more generous, we can eliminate hunger, especially for children.

“It’s the most powerful investment the world can make.”

China has reduced the number of its own malnourished by 250 million over the last 25 years, but the situation in southern Africa – also affected greatly by Aids – is getting desperately worse, Mr Morris said.

Seven million people have died there because of Aids, resulting in 14 million orphans.

Mr Morris highlighted Zimbabwe, where life expectancy has fallen to 33 years from 68.

xx

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I wanted to add this as well... it's running on our business page tomorrow. If anyone reads this with more information about either company, let me know... it gave me an uneasy feeling though...

BAE Systems is preparing to play a more central role in the ‘war on terror’ after acquiring a leading IT supplier to the Pentagon. The aerospace and defence group has agreed a 600 million US dollars (£334 million) deal for DigitalNet Holdings, a maker of secure computer networks that can carry sensitive data and intelligence. BAE said the deal will “enhance its ability to address evolving US national security priorities” and boost earnings within the first year after completion. Its operations in North America will now generate revenues of more than 1.2 billion US dollars (£668.3 million) from the sale of IT systems to US Government agencies.
In addition to the Pentagon, DigitalNet makes secure computer networks for national intelligence agencies and the Departments of Homeland Security, Justice, Treasury and State.
Based in the US state of Virginia and employing 2,200 staff, DigitalNet recorded sales of 292 million US dollars (£162.4 million) in 2003.
But this is dwarfed by the five billion US dollars (£2.78 billion) generated by BAE across the Atlantic each year from the sale of technology to the US Government and commercial customers.
Its North American Unit, which employs 26,000 staff, accounts for more than 20 per cent of group revenues and profits.
Last month, it won a place on the final shortlist of firms tasked by the US Department of Homeland Security with developing technology to protect commercial aircraft from missile attack.
Chief executive Mike Turner said: “The acquisition of DigitalNet will be an important step in enhancing the capability of BAE Systems North America to better serve its customers.”

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
My office is open plan.

It's a bit like a production line in a factory, except it's stories that get passed along the line. From editor to reporter, reporter to news editor, news editor to chief sub, chief sub to me, me back to chief sub, then off to print.

It's monotonous and we all sit in relative silence, staring at our computer screens, and playing on the internet when we think noone is watching.

The air is broken with fingers tapping on keyboards, the dull hum of air-conditioning and the occassional well-meaning abuse ('can you guys not spell?!') being fired across the office.

About half an hour ago I was having a look at HoP, waiting for my shift to begin and submerged in the utter boredom that my job instills when John, a guy who gets the pictures ready for print, walked past my desk and dropped this week's G2 on my desk.

I caught a glimpse of it out of the corner of my eye, the colours drew my attention first and when my brain realised what I was looking at I felt my stomach churn.

G2 ( https://www.guardian.co.uk/g2
) is the media features section of the respected Guardian newspaper in the UK. It looks at the stories making the news, but expands and elaborates on them, going into much more detail than other agencies can, restricted by time and page space.

This week, a columnist for the Guardian writes about his experience being caught up in the attack in Baghdad on Sunday, when 13 Iraqis were killed after US helicopters fired on a crowd of unarmed civilians.

The front page of G2 has pictures of one man, covered in blood. The first picture shows him sitting, dazed, but alive, his hand reaching out for help. The second photo shows him lying on the ground, slumped, dead, hand still outstretched.

They are powerful images... the account of the columnist is also very powerful... find it here https://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,1303807,00.html

Today more Iraqi's have been blown up (https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3654176.stm). More than 50 people have been killed as insurgents try to protest against their fellow Iraqi's joining a police service they say is too closely linked with America.

I do not want this thread to become an attack on America, or solely based on the events in Iraq, but how long can these murders continue, with governments and peoples standing by in support (I realise most people on this site are anti-war, but we are not the majority)?!

And while all this is happening where are the attentions of our governments?!

US:

George Bush has forgotten to sign the ban that stops the sale of assault weapons, like Uzis and AK-47s.

Sorry to use such a dubious source as the Mirror, but in the American media sources I checked, the story was reported as if it didn't really matter that this ban had expired. Please could someone tell me why anyone needs an Uzi or AK-47?!!! For shooting rabbits on a farm?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/tm_...-name_page.html

(also, sorry about the link... I'm going to have to work out how to reduce these links to a couple of words)

Australia:

John Howard is outraged that two Australians have been taken hostage in Iraq

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3654514.stm

UK:

It could be worse in the UK... Tony Blair is finally turning his attention towards the environment. After years of research, with environmental campaigners telling him of the inevitable dangers of what we are doing to our planet, the light has finally dawned.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3654042.stm

xx

_odnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fabergé

i do

no one dragged them there kicking and screaming

the u.s. is always at war with some nation or other. you can't convince me that young men who join the u.s. army never expect to be sent to war.....

youd be surprised how many people join thinking theyll never leave their country. not so much now as a couple years ago of course.
and i have seen people that were kicking and screaming get dragged onto an airplane by a handfull of MPs. it does happen, though not often.
i dont think we should be in Iraq, but i feel for the troops from all nations that are over there.
but ive already vented on this topic once so ill leave this alone biggrin

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
That story from G2 is very sad, Being a reporter/photgrapher in a situation like that is a stark contrast to the choice of joining the army and ending up in the same place but on the other side of the gun.

I have to say im not so sure about Tony Blair. What does this mean
Written by:

"We will start to notice within reasonably short periods of time real difficulties."

It is more than the usual fare but it still sounds like a token effort. Though its also worth bearing in mind that the BBC arent exactly Blair fans.

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I think Tony Blair is making a very good attempt at moving public attention away from Iraq and this so-called falling out with his Chancellor.

Anyways, I've just borrowed this off the wire.
I couldn't take it all because the deputy sub was wondering why I was lifting all these stories.

BLAIR ISSUES DIRE WARNING ON CLIMATE CHANGE
By Amanda Brown, Environment Correspondent, PA News
Prime Minister Tony Blair today issued a dire warning about “alarming and unsustainable” global warming.
He said changes would happen within the “lifetime of my children certainly, and possibly within my own”.
Giving the Prince of Wales Business and the Environment Programme 10th anniversary lecture at the Banqueting House in Whitehall, the premier said: “I do not mean a phenomenon causing problems of adjustment.
“I mean a challenge so far-reaching in its impact and irreversible in its destructive power that it alters radically human existence.”
The Prime Minister said that over the coming months the Government would take forward a wider sustainable development and environment agenda to tackle the problems.
Mr Blair said the problem was that the challenge was complicated politically by two factors.
“First, its likely effect will not be felt to its full extent until after the time for the political decisions that need to be taken has passed.
“In other words, there is a mismatch in timing between the environmental and electoral impact.
“Secondly, no one nation alone can resolve it. It has no definable boundaries. Short of international action commonly agreed and commonly followed through, it is hard even for a large country to make a difference on its own.
“But there is no doubt that the time to act is now.
“It is now that timely action can avert disaster. It is now that with foresight and will such action can be taken without disturbing the essence of our way of life, by adjusting behaviour, not altering it entirely.”
Mr Blair said that just as science and technology had given the evidence to measure the danger of climate change, so it could help to find safety from it.
The potential for innovation, for scientific discovery and for investment and growth was enormous, he said.
With the right framework for action, the very act of solving it could unleash a new and benign commercial force to take the action forward, providing jobs, technology spin-offs and new business opportunities as well as protecting the world we live in.
But Mr Blair warned: “The issue is urgent. If there is one message I would leave with you and with the British people today, it is one of urgency.”

The Prime Minister said environmental change and severe weather events were already affecting the world insurance industry and by the middle of the century, temperatures could have risen enough to trigger irreversible melting of the Greenland icecap, eventually increasing sea levels by about 7m.
He said there was good evidence that last year’s European heatwave was influenced by global warming and resulted in 26,000 premature deaths and cost 13.5 billion dollars.
“There is one overriding positive; through the science we are aware of the problem and with the necessary political and collective will have the ability to address it collectively.
“The public, in my view, do understand this. The news of severe weather abroad is an almost weekly occurrence. A recent opinion survey by Greenpeace showed that 78% of people are concerned about climate change.
“But people are confused about what they can do. It is individuals as well as Government and corporations who can make a real difference.
“The environmental impacts from business are themselves driven by the choices we make each day.
“To make serious headway towards smarter lifestyles, we need to start with clear and consistent policy and messages, championed both by Government and by those outside government, telling people what they can do that would make a difference.”

Mr Blair said the UK was on track to meet its Kyoto target and the latest estimates suggested greenhouse gas emissions in 2003 were about 14% below 1990 levels.
But more had to be done to achieve the Government’s commitment to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 20% by 2010.
“Our targets are ambitious and we must continually review and refine how we can meet them.
“In 2000 we published our Climate Change Programme which set out a comprehensive range of policies aimed at reducing our greenhouse gas emissions.
“Tomorrow, we’ll be setting out the details of this review to see if it is achieving the necessary progress towards our short term and long term emissions targets and if not, to see how we can do better.
“In the longer term, the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution’s seminal report on energy concluded that to make its contribution towards tackling climate change, the UK needed to reduce our carbon dioxide emissions by 60% by 2050. This implies a massive change in the way this country produces and uses energy. We are committed to this change.”
Mr Blair said there were immense business opportunities in sustainable growth and moving to a low carbon economy.
As part of next year’s G8 process, Mr Blair said he wanted to advance work on promoting the development and uptake of cleaner energy technologies begun under the French Presidency in 2003 and continued by the US this year.
“We need both to invest on a large scale in existing technologies and to stimulate innovation into new low carbon technologies for deployment in the longer term. There is huge scope for improving energy efficiency and promoting the uptake of existing low carbon technologies like PV, fuel cells and carbon sequestration.”
Mr Blair said the Government’s position on nuclear power had not changed.
“As we made clear in our Energy White Paper last year the Government does not rule out the possibility that at some point in the future new nuclear build might be necessary if we are to meet our carbon targets.”
Mr Blair said: “We need to develop the new green industrial revolution that develops the new technologies that can confront and overcome the challenge of climate change and that above all can show us not that we can avoid changing our behaviour but we can change it in a way that is environmentally sustainable.”

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
He's certainly doing a good job of quoting statistics. It would be great to see a pro active movement from a powerful government like englands.

The greener we get with the fuel we use then the less reason the super powers will have to go looking for oil.

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
True.

It will be interesting to see how quickly he can translate this new found enthusiasm into legislation, but it is definitely a stronger stance on the environment than I have heard of late...

and again, the so-called Conservative 'opposition' fades into the background.

xx

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I saw this in BBC news and it made me so upset....

Puppy story

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Indeed.

Animal cruelty by mindless teenagers... but at least the House of Commons voted against fox hunting tonight.

What has upset me most is that despite Tony Blair's impassioned environmental speech yesterday, the media decided to focus on a) his private life b) the fox hunting ban and c) the history of the Batman protester.

We could have used that opportunity to force Blair to set dates and lay out his agenda for what exactly he is going to do about the huge environmental catastrophe awaiting us. But nope. We focused on whether a man with four young children might (or might not, and in the end didn't) quit his job as leader of the country in the middle of an illegal invasion.

Hmpf. Useless.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
what i find funny about the fox hunting ban, is apart from the fact that they're bringing it in a year earlier than previosly planned, if the lords block it out when it goes to them it will probably be foreced to come in to action immediately because of the process of pushing it through, instead of having the years grace for them to get used to the idea.

does anyone know why they need a year to 'plan' for it anyway? surely they just stop hunting and that's it?

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello Hello.

This hunting ban is being rushed through because they don't want it interferring with the election campaign.

The House of Lords would never accept a ban on hunting - I believe for the reason that many commentators are suggesting - that this is a 'class' war, not about the welfare of foxes.

Laws always take a long time to be put into action (apart from, it seems, anything connected with anti-terrorist legislation). Wordy legal documentation has to be drawn up, proofed and checked by a string of lawyers for loopholes. (Each of those lawyers charging by the hour)

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i got that the actual bill will take a long time to draw upa nd stuff, but what good ol Tony seemed to be saying on the news was that they were giving the pro hunt side 'time to plan'. i don't get this at all, except maybe some of them need to find anothe job maybe?

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ohhh, sorry, I didn't hear that quote at all... do you have a copy of the speech or a link to it?!

But perhaps you're right... maybe this 'extra year' is to give those who make their livelihoods from fox hunting time to find something else (and, unfortunately, kill thousands of hounds whose services will no longer be required)

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Ok off the topic of Fox hunting and such but i had to post this when i saw it

Traffic Cone Amnesty

ubblol

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Heheheh. I have one of the Northern Ireland Road Service traffic cones.

but I demand £6.50 if they want it back...

Adding to the tone (hey it's Friday)
The award for the most audacious asylum attempt:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/3658966.stm
(pointing out that there is no Sri Lankan handball team)
biggrin

Just for future reference:
UN declares Iraq invasion illegal:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3661134.stm
US says it was legal:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3664234.stm

Have a lovely weekend
xx

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Good morning everyone and happy mondays biggrin

Well, it seems to have been a weekend of elections, with Indonesia, Serbia and Kazakhstan all turning out to vote... but unfortunately, the one taking the headlines are the German elections, where large gains were made by the far right parties in the former east Germany (and the far left, btw).
German elections:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3669974.stm

(Sarah, if you're reading this, I'd love to know what you think...)

It seems to be, though, that when people are going through times of frustration over political inaction and economic downturn they turn to the extremes (at the last election in Northern Ireland, after years of deadlock between the politcal parties, voters brought in the extremes of each side - DUP and SInn Fein (admittedly, the distrust of the 'other side' is becoming more entrenched here also)).

It is not the same in Germany, of course. The mainstream parties held their seats, but the concern is that the far right NPD party took 9 per cent of the vote...

Another story I wanted to point out is that it seems a drug similar to that present in cannabis may help pregnancy (but under no circumstances am I advocating smoking while pregnant... which is just a stupid and irresponsible thing to do)
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3665226.stm

Also, it seems three quarters of people in the UK would support wind farms - this is great news of course, as renewable energy is a huge and essential growth market.
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3670746.stm

Anyways, I'll post more from work later
Take care
xx

FruleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
Hello Hello.... well actually I didn't wanna write anything because - honestly - and I am not even really ashamed of it: I am not interested in politics in general. Though I thought I should write something to explain all that from a German point of view. Give me some slack if I don't find the right words...

Written by:

"It's a great day for Germans who still want to be Germans!"

Well that is exactly what explains the result of the elections in Saxony. Since Saxony is very close to countries like Poland and the russian states it kinda gets flooded by immigrants. The people living in this area are "pissed off" that those foreigners are taking over their jobs (because they are working on lower wages) and are more and more taking side of the far right parties - which I don't want to tolerate but which I can partly understand.
As the article says
Written by:

"Average unemployment in east Germany has been stuck at about 20%"

so those people fear for their jobs and believe what the NPD is promising: lower unemployment and better wages.

Soo... where was I? Well I think it's horrible that the NPD got enough votes to get seats because history told us that people are easy to manipulate and by pretending to improve the german economy they just wanna proceed what a little guy started years ago. It's easy to fool people and since the economy is so bad in Germany at the mo I am very worried...

Does that make sense? I guess....

"I see," said the blind man.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your views Sarah hug I think it's always really important to get views from the people who live in the country making the headlines.

Well, today was UN World Peace today - what did you do for it?! Smile at everyone you met? Held the door open for old ladies? Walk away from an argument with that person who's been pissing you off?

Most likely you didn't even know it was happening. Not surprising considering the lack of coverage given to it by the media (although there was a UN General Assembly held today as well. Kofi Annan none-too-subtly stated that the world had become a more dangerous place since Sept 11, while Bush reminded everyone of the terrorist threat. Afterwards, they greeted each other through gritted teeth for the cameras)
Well, here's the UN report:
https://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=11985&Cr=peace&Cr1=day

Another story completely ignored elsewhere, but I saw on the UN site today:
https://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=11987&Cr=tb&Cr1=
It seems that TB and HIV tests could save FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND lives every year. That is a huge amount... and despite Nelson Mandela's plea, I wonder how long it will be until world leaders will do something to save the lives of the African peoples.

Also not given much coverage was Hurricane Jeanne. I guess everyone is bored of Hurricanes now Ivan has passed.
But, Jeanne has killed more than 600 people in Haiti... Ivan killed 100 over 4 countries.
UN report:
https://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=11997&Cr=haiti&Cr1=
BBC report:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3677894.stm

Does anyone else notice a pattern emerging here? The poverty-stricken and destitute are the ones most in need and most deserving of our help in this world, yet when deaths occur in these countries in huge numbers we barely pay attention. What makes us think these people are any less worthy?!!

The news headlines are filled with the kidnapping and beheading of the English and American workers in Iraq. Don't get me wrong, their families must be going through hell, and my sympathies are with the two families in America. But we are all part of a bigger picture.

Anyways, please post any other news stories that have caught your attention.

Take care
Clare xoxo

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Nice to see the Lib-Dems making a decent show of trying to get into government (or at the very least into opposition). Charlie Kennedy even got a bit angry whilst giving his end of conference speech. Good show.

I actually pitied Tony Blair this week. The hostage question is not one he can provide a right answer to. He's still a pr*ck, but I don't envy him the toughness of the decision.

Still, at least someone's trying to do something.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
This is an article from New Scientist that caught my eye because the idea of chaning "roles" seems really similar to a book I've just finished called The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart. Obviously if you havent read this then the article may lose something but should still be interesting.

How to lose weight without even trying.

It sounds too good to be true: a diet where you lose weight without having to think about what you eat or exercising; the weight stays off, and you feel happier. Yet a small study suggests that the “no diet” diet achieves just this.

The idea behind the diet, devised by Ben Fletcher of the University of Hertfordshire in the UK, is the get people break their usual habits. To test it, he recruited 55 volunteers aged from 23 to 61.

The structured part of the regime lasts only a month. Each day the volunteers had to pick a different option from 15 pairs of contrasting behaviours such as reactive/proactive, lively/quiet or introvert/extrovert, and behave that way during the day. This could be difficult, for example, if an introverted person has to try being extrovert, or if someone who likes being the centre of attention has to blend into the crowd. Twice a week, they also had to do something they wouldn’t usually do, such as listening to a different radio station or buy a different newspaper.

After four months, the volunteers has lost 5 kilograms on average, Fletcher told a meeting of the British Psychological Society in Edinburgh this week. A further six months on, most had kept the weight off. Many also reported less depression and anxiety. “It’s not just about healthy eating, it’s about what’s better for the individual,” Fletcher says.

The method is based on the Framework for Internal Transformation (FIT), a self-development method formulated and promoted by Fletcher. Forcing people to change their routine makes them think harder about the decisions they take, he says. So though the participants were not told to improve their diets or exercise more, they ended up choosing to do exactly that – without having to apply the willpower needed to stick to a normal diet.

“It sounds like a sensible strategy,” says Toni Steer of MRC Human Nutrition Research in Cambridge, UK. Nutritionists recognise that for someone to make long-term dietary changes they have to change their behaviour, she says. “We don’t recommend people think about going on a diet, as it suggests that one day you’re going to come off the diet.”

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Just been reading the new on the hostage releases of the two itialian girls. Great news eh.

The french are also making very positive statements about there own negotiations for some of there nationals that are also being held hostage.

Its great to see that these people have gotten out with their lives, especially in the face of the recent hostage killings.

Still no news of Ken Bigley though. Tony Blair must be under immense pressure to act and people are no doubt going to ask him why, if the french and italians are negotiating, he is not.

When this kidnapping took place the US made a statement saying that the only two women hostages being held were senior member of the Iraqi government and were both responsible for war crimes. since then this statement has changed to having no women prisoners at all to having two again. It seems now they are scientists.

With the elections coming up on both sides of the atlantic the leaders have been faced with some very tough choices. The US will not negotiate and the american prisoners were killed. With rumors Ken Bigley still alive and key figures around the world calling for his release I wonder what Tony is going to do.

Words from Kens brother

For Ken, family and all the other hostages being held and not being reported, I hope that someone finds a solution.

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there Aidan, good morning biggrin

Yep, it's great that the Italian women were freed... that just leaves Mr Bigley and two French journalists in captivity.

This is a good story on the Iraqi attitude to the kidnappings and why they believe the attacks to be necessary, though I feel it loses the strength of its point towards the end.
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3684324.stm

This is a great report from the Guardian on women prisoners in Iraq - bear in mind, though, that the report is dated May 20, 2004, but it does explain (for me anyways) why the kidnappers are insistent women are released:
https://www.guardian.co.uk/women/story/0,3604,1220673,00.html
and another good story gives the feeling of Iraqi people to the female prisoners:
https://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0528/p01s02-woiq.html

I can't find any current figures regarding the number of women currently held by US forces. However, I do know that during the hostage crisis, the Iraqi government said it would release one of the female hostages - nicknamed by the US 'Dr Germ' (because she was allegedly involved in the production of chemical weapons for Saddam Hussein).

However, the US said no, that she was in their custody and would not be handed over (so much for Iraq policing it's own). They are holding two scientists, both in connection with chemical weapons production.

I think Tony Blair is in an impossible position. Like Bush, he can't be seen to negotiate with 'terrorists', but I am sure there have been negotiations going on behind closed doors.

Of course we all hope Mr Bigley will be released, but I would also like to see his release as I believe his murder would create a global backlash against all the Iraqi people - whom I believe are currently mustering the sympathies of the world.

And just for your added amusement... and in case you doubted the presence of US propaganda, check out the official US army site:
https://www.army.mil/

Have a nice day

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
And in the news today....

Cool stuff for people who like having cool things (or, tech stuff for geeks)

And on an altogether more disturbing note.... S€X Free Movies!!!!
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1096572746)

Love is the law.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
And Vioxx just got pulled from the market all of a sudden. Oh, this is going to make a lot of doctors very busy for the next month or so.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Vioxx News

Is it normal for a drug to be on trial this long?

Should a drug on trial be given to two million people?

Seems like it took them a while to decide that the drug was a danger....

What happens now lightning? There are so many people affected here... is there effective alternative treatments?

Love is the law.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
No, drugs are constantly on trial long after they're released. When Aspirin was first released, who knew that it was any good at preventing heart attacks? It was released as a painkiller and fever reducer.

For that matter, if aspirin came up for FDA review today, it would never pass. It's far too dangerous.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey Lightning, thanks for bringing it back from Aidan's computers and porn obssession ubblol

will write on this later... am really busy in work frown

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thanks for bringing the thread up again Spanner.

It must have been so disappointing for the family, especially as last week Mr Bigley was rumoured to have been handed over to a less-extreme group.

If you were working in Iraq under the remit of rebuilding the country, would you now be tempted to leave, despite the £1,000 a week pay cheque?

I also wonder how Billy Connolly feels right now... https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/3717462.stm
(comments made on Monday night)

Since this thread has been brought up again...

The British governments first apology for the war
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3725380.stm

On a more positive note, the first African female Nobel prize winner
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3726024.stm

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
17 Years old and making a fortune

Sounds like an intelligent kid.

not so smart though eh...