Page: ...
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hi there everyone,

After a couple of requests, some consideration and my own rather curvaceous tangent on the thread for the Russian families of the school massacre… I decided to start a thread dedicated to interesting issues in the daily news (or even the daily news itself, anything news-related really… you get the idea).

I’ve done a search and while there’s hundreds of threads for individual news stories, I couldn’t find one for an ongoing discussion of what’s happening in the world around us.

I know lots of people don’t follow the news, but many do, and my opinion is that discussion on current events gives people a better understanding of nations, races and ‘humanity’, for want of a better word.

HoP is in the enviable position of having a really global audience – there can’t be many websites with regular posting members from right across the world, covering such a wide spectrum of cultures, ideas and beliefs. We have the ability to look at events from many different viewpoints, so I thought we should use it.

Anyways, I was thinking we could post, or draw attention to, some of the main stories that affect us on a daily basis…

Btw, I really don’t want this to become an America-bashing thread (or any other type of bashing). I think most of us share the view that the American government are fairly appalling at the minute, and while criticism will definitely happen, I don’t want any Americans on the site to feel victimised or that pro-Bush types feel their views aren’t valid. Try to keep all the views considered and, if possible, sourced.

So anyways, let me know what you think…

A couple of interesting stories I picked up on today were:

Indonesia has become the latest nation to join the war on terrorism following the car bomb at the Australian embassy which killed 9 people and injured 180… I heard an Indonesian government official (I think it was the spokesman for the Indonesian foreign ministry) say they are 'now ready to join the war on terror', after it was alleged the ‘militant Islamic group Jemaah Islamiah’ were responsible. (sorry, am about to leave work and couldn't find a source... will try to get it tomorrow).

Also, US secretary of state Colin Powell has declared the situation in Sudan a genocide:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3641820.stm

It seems the countries are busy arguing over the term ‘genocide’ as opposed to actually getting out there with aid and peacekeeping forces.

Anyways, I’d be interested to hear anyone’s opinions on these stories… as well as anything else you’d like to bring up…

Thanks
take care
Clare xox

Getting to the other side smile

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
so do I

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there lads...

I don't really want this thread to become a debate about religion, abortion or the rights and wrongs of Amnesty... I'm sure there's loads of other threads you can do that.

Tis just a wee thread for posting up news stories...

Mucho gracias

x

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
11 charged over Chaser APEC stunt

Man, the Chasers have some minerals!! ubblol

Chaser stunt raises questions about APEC security

The funny thing is, the convoys cars had Australian & Canadian flags on them. From what i've been told, Canada isn't even part of the APEC summit! ubblol
EDITED_BY: Brenn (1189123300)

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
ubblol So much for the billions spent on security. One of the Chaser crew was dressed as Osama bin Laden. Apparently they got through two road blocks, and only got caught when they decided to turn around.

ubblol wot a crock

ubblol

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I though Canada were and they chose Canada because it was likely that Canada would have that many cars in their entourage (as opposed to the US overkill) and were unlikely to be scrutinised too closely.

i also heard on the radio today that "apparently" the chaser boys were lucky they werent shot by the snipers, which the man on the radio assured everyone were ready to shoot...sounded more like propoganda to me!

regardless - the chasers have beated their own standards yet again!!!!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I couldn't beleive how far they got in .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

3,556 posts

Posted:
Fred Thompson announced is candidacy

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
he's got thrush? eek

tongue

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

3,556 posts

Posted:
???

Faith

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
candida tongue

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
https://www.theage.com.au/news/national/girl-12-has-babysitters-child/2007/09/20/1189881664247.html This made me so sad frown Makes me not want to have kids because I don't want to bring a life into this world where people like that exist!

Skrytinn_QveldrigaBRONZE Member
delectatio morosa, gaudium, desiderium
160 posts

Posted:
the north western pass, a fabled trading route that runs close to the north pole, and is the shortest distance between europe and asia has become open for the first time in recorded history, due to global warming and polar ice cap recession... frown
bbcnews

meow
biggrin happy little panda bear biggrin
peace
i love you

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Any one hear about the kid that got tasered for asking senetor kelly some questions?

oh and check this out.

https://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,297121,00.html

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Skrytinn_QveldrigaBRONZE Member
delectatio morosa, gaudium, desiderium
160 posts

Posted:
oh my god, that is disgusting. its for reasons like that that i hate america. even though i live there lol

meow
biggrin happy little panda bear biggrin
peace
i love you

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Thats horrendous, I'm really shocked that they can get away with that. There was absolutley no justification for them to arrest him, nevermind taser him.

It makes me very mad to see that. I'm just glad someone filmed it, and hope that the people involved get what's coming to them, although i doubt they will.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
from what i hear, 2 of the cops are suspended lemme see if i can find an article......

https://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/09/18/student.tasered.ap/index.html

there ya go

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
and what happeneed to freedom of speech

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
The human rights abuses of the Burmese government are well known...

Opposition parties and voices are repressed with brutality and it's treatment of it's people is shocking.

Check this BBC link for more info about Burma, and particularly Aung San Suu Kyi.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7014570.stm

We're largely powerless to support the efforts of the Buddhist monks and nuns out there... but what you could do is contribute to (and spread) this petition...

https://www.avaaz.org/en/stand_with_burma/tf.php

best wishes, and thanks
Clare x

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
condoms spread HIV: Archbishop

what a DANGEROUS and IRRESPONSIBLE piece of EXCREMENT!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Clare, thanks for the information on Burma.

I got this from Tjoni:

“Burma is ruled by one of the most brutal military dictatorships in the world. For decades the Burmese regime has fought off pressure--imprisoning elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi and democracy activists, wiping out thousands of villages, imposing forced labour, creating refugees-

But last Tuesday Buddhist monks and nuns, revered in Burma, began marching and chanting prayers. The protests spread as hundreds of thousands of ordinary people and public figures joined in, finding the hope they’d lost. Now they’re facing crackdown – so please, show your solidarity to this movement towards reconciliation and democracy and sign the emergency petition supporting the Burmese people -- it'll be delivered to United Nations Security Council members and international media all week.”

Stand with the Burmese Protesters

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
My favourite news story of recent times:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/7139910.stm

biggrin

Oh, and I just found the "Ironic Story of the Day":

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6586879.stm

(zizzi is french slang for "penis" ) ubblol
EDITED_BY: UnderControlOrFailure (1197467416)

3,556 posts

Posted:
Oh BTW, Alex Trebek had a heart attack and was hospitalized, but should ok to start taping in January the new season of Jeopardy

Faith

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Terry Pratchett has been diagnosed with Alzheimers. frown He says he wants everyone to keep cheerful, as he has a few more books to write yet. God bless you Terry Pratchett! hug

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
 Written by: The Tea Fairy

Terry Pratchett has been diagnosed with Alzheimers. frown He says he wants everyone to keep cheerful, as he has a few more books to write yet. God bless you Terry Pratchett! hug

frown if he wants me cheerful, then cheerful I shall be.. but I'm not happy about it smile

hug's to Terry

Poi(poi~y) n. : A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.
- part owner of Wooktastic™ ©

hazingtonjourneyman
51 posts

Posted:
So i've been waiting all day to have a rant....so here it is! sorry i wrote so much

Recently in a semi rural town called Camden just on the out skirts of Sydney a Muslim group has decided to ask for planning permission to build a Muslim based school but it wouldn't be confined to Muslim anybody would be able to attend.

I try very hard as a person not to be sexist or raciest in any way but i do feel annoyed at the catholic and Christians approach to this situation. (please don't take offense if your Christian or catholic)

They claim the don't want 'these' kind of people in their community, in many ways making out as though Muslims are taking over Oz surprisingly there were all sorts against the school including Australians as well as Asians and Africans born here as well as immigrated here.

I live on the sunshine coast where private/religious schools out number government school 2 to 1....I'm sorry but why can't they have their own schools, many were claiming that if they want to live in our country they should live by our rules....

Why should they if i wanted to live anywhere in the world i would have the option to go to an English speaking school that does not preach any sort of religion, why should it be any different..... Heaps of Australians travel overseas each year to poverty stricken countries and teach bible classes, wheres the brains behind that one, if we travel to another country we shouldn't force our ideas or opinions on to others.

And in this case Muslims aren't imposing their ideas on anyone, their not saying we have to send our kids to their school their merely giving us the option to...unlike the Christians/catholics who in this situation are trying to force their beliefs on to Muslims, by not letting them have this school they are forcing them to attend our schools.

EVERYBODY* HAS A RIGHT TO LIVE HOW THEY WANT TO
in regard to sexuality, lifestyle, religion, family situation, etc.

*EVERYBODY this means male-female, religious-nonreligious, ethnic-or not.

I apologize for the 'there' 'our' comments in this post i do believe were all the same.hug

i am proud that i have lived in a time and a country and been a part of a family where i've had the opportunity to decide what i want to think and believe...my mum's Christian come budhist, my dads family are Christians, my sister catholic and me i suppose a bit of everything.

These reports were over 3 out of 5 TV channels it annoys me to think about how many people absorbed this information and thought that Muslims shouldn't be in our community.

There is and always will be confusion over religion all i know is most of it was written along time ago in many different languages and if anyones ever tried translating before you'll know that people make mistakes maybe the bible was suppose to say 'women shall do as men do', not 'women shall do what men say'

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE thank you for letting me vent and rave. ubbloco

Living is loving & Loving is Living
yet
Lying is Dying &
Dying can be Lying if you let it...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Merry Christmas indeed everyone smile

Here's a few things recently that I wanted to post up here:

Mistakes made in Iraq:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7153990.stm

Japan cancels humpback whale hunting expedition:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7155255.stm

The only man charged with the Omagh bomb (which killed 29) is freed, because of inept policing:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7154952.stm

Solstice at Newgrange broadcast on internet:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7155262.stm

Bush's ego sizes up against Syria:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7154473.stm

3,556 posts

Posted:
Merry Christmas

And don't forget you can keep an eye on Santa's progress. Norad tracks the sleigh every year

Faith

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i totally agree with that situation hazington.

people are trying to come up with every excuse under the sun why the school/mosque shouldnt be built, really they're just being intolerant and discriminatory.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i've been so busy moving house lately so i've missed a lot of stuff, but i thought there was more to the muslim school issue than just "us" Vs "them". I heard that the town in question didn't even have a muslim population to be able to sustain the school therefore there wasn't a demand for the school in that area. And I do actually agree with wondering why a council should put up money that's not going to benefit the community who paid the rates to fund said council.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
https://www.godhatesfags.com/written/fliers/20080125_heath-ledger-memorial-sag.pdf

Not that we needed more proof that the Westbro Baptist Church are all a bunch of psycho lunatics. But this is the latest instalment.

I'm a particular fan of the part where they're "trying to hide the body so that WBC cannot picket " ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

Page: ...