Page: ...
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hi there everyone,

After a couple of requests, some consideration and my own rather curvaceous tangent on the thread for the Russian families of the school massacre… I decided to start a thread dedicated to interesting issues in the daily news (or even the daily news itself, anything news-related really… you get the idea).

I’ve done a search and while there’s hundreds of threads for individual news stories, I couldn’t find one for an ongoing discussion of what’s happening in the world around us.

I know lots of people don’t follow the news, but many do, and my opinion is that discussion on current events gives people a better understanding of nations, races and ‘humanity’, for want of a better word.

HoP is in the enviable position of having a really global audience – there can’t be many websites with regular posting members from right across the world, covering such a wide spectrum of cultures, ideas and beliefs. We have the ability to look at events from many different viewpoints, so I thought we should use it.

Anyways, I was thinking we could post, or draw attention to, some of the main stories that affect us on a daily basis…

Btw, I really don’t want this to become an America-bashing thread (or any other type of bashing). I think most of us share the view that the American government are fairly appalling at the minute, and while criticism will definitely happen, I don’t want any Americans on the site to feel victimised or that pro-Bush types feel their views aren’t valid. Try to keep all the views considered and, if possible, sourced.

So anyways, let me know what you think…

A couple of interesting stories I picked up on today were:

Indonesia has become the latest nation to join the war on terrorism following the car bomb at the Australian embassy which killed 9 people and injured 180… I heard an Indonesian government official (I think it was the spokesman for the Indonesian foreign ministry) say they are 'now ready to join the war on terror', after it was alleged the ‘militant Islamic group Jemaah Islamiah’ were responsible. (sorry, am about to leave work and couldn't find a source... will try to get it tomorrow).

Also, US secretary of state Colin Powell has declared the situation in Sudan a genocide:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3641820.stm

It seems the countries are busy arguing over the term ‘genocide’ as opposed to actually getting out there with aid and peacekeeping forces.

Anyways, I’d be interested to hear anyone’s opinions on these stories… as well as anything else you’d like to bring up…

Thanks
take care
Clare xox

Getting to the other side smile

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

hookers and those dressing like hookers beware
https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061213/ap_on_re_eu/britain_prostitutes_murdered

Is that big news in America as well?

Britain has suddenly become uncharacteristically interesting with radioactive spy plots and serial killers. eek

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
it was on yahoo

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Parents who don't give support to have passports removed:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6174671.stm

Surgery suggested for grossly overweight teenagers: eek
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6169333.stm

Turkish airlines sacrifice camel:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6175893.stm

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Related to the prostitute murders...

Written by: imdb

Hollywood director Oliver Stone shocked the audience at last night's British Comedy Awards in London by joking about the recent murders of five prostitutes. The Suffolk killings, thought to be the work of a serial killer, have dominated British headlines this week and Platoon movie-maker Stone's bad-taste gag was met with horror by the celebrity audience including Sacha Baron Cohen and Charlotte Church. On presenting the Best Comedy Film prize to Wallace And Gromit creator Nick Park, the American quipped, "It's great to be back in England. I feel like Jack The Ripper (prolific 19th century serial killer) days are back. Nothing ever changes here." Realizing the gag had bombed, Stone jeered, "You're a lovely crowd."

So much for being the social conscience of America!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Spanner... yep, I was thinking the same thing...

Hope you're well lady hug

3,556 posts

Posted:
https://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/10536487/detail.html?rss=mil&psp=news

some people say mutation, but i was thinking a twin thing where the second gets absorbed into the other...both sex organs were present and there were 7 legs, i bet a genetics test would be really cool

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

3,556 posts

Posted:
double posting
https://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070110/ennew_afp/afpentertainmentus_070110163008
this was just too funny not to post...i am sure someone will disagree on the humor but geeks will be geeks and bully's don't change
https://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=550842
this just makes me angry...people standing around doing nothing in a situation irritates me
https://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/10708117/detail.html?rss=mil&psp=news
i feel bad for these kids...they tried to ban cell phones on campus but no they called when they got outside...i'm sure many of these kids are good kids, just like any other school.
https://www.channel3000.com/news/10713905/detail.html?rss=c3k&psp=news
i hope there is accountability with this...i understand that manufacturing has a lot of variables but there should have been something of an ignored warning...otherwise they weren't looking close enough
https://www.channel3000.com/news/10715007/detail.html?rss=c3k&psp=news
no it wasn't my postman

Faith

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:

ttp://www.channel3000.com/news/10715007/detail.html?rss=c3k&psp=news[/url]
no it wasn't my postman

I was thinking more along the lines of Strugz it was a van so my question is strugz have you been trying to fake being a postman and got attracted when drunk to a long cylinder which looks almost like a staff that was stuck in the ground with a silly sign ubblol

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

3,556 posts

Posted:
hey if they're in waukesha that would be great, drunk or not

Faith

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MikefromGlos

I was thinking more along the lines of Strugz it was a van so my question is strugz have you been trying to fake being a postman and got attracted when drunk to a long cylinder which looks almost like a staff that was stuck in the ground with a silly sign ubblol

Dude - id hardly fake trying to be a postman, i think if i wanted that job i could get it easy enough ubbloco

Drinking and driving is not really my thing, however on the one occassion i did have an accident screwing my otherwise 8 year clean liscense.......... alchohol was involved, well the fact that it was a pub i crashed the van into .....it was done gently mind, with great attention to detail. wink

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
very sad video frown

https://www.glumbert.com/media/dolphin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I don't want threads that can be labelled as "anti-american" pile up in my "resumee"...

Dunno whether this would be worth it's own thread - IF YOU reckon, you are welcomed to copy and paste. I guess the U.S. is actually receiving enough criticism...

So here ya go:

A multinational poll finds that publics around the world reject the idea that the United States should play the role of preeminent world leader. Most publics say the United States plays the role of world policeman more than it should, fails to take their country’s interests into account and cannot be trusted to act responsibly. (...)

But the survey also finds that majorities in most countries want the United States to participate in international efforts to address world problems. Views are divided about whether the United States should reduce the number of military bases it has overseas. Moreover, many publics think their country’s relations with the United States are improving.

(taken from: World Public Opinion)

Written by: AFP

"There's clearly a trend in terms of deepening negative attitudes to the US in how it executes foreign policy," said Christopher Whitney, executive director for studies at the Chicago Council on Global Affairs which helped coordinate the 18-country study.

The United States has long faced criticism internationally for its interventionalist foreign policy, Whitney said. This survey found that the frustration is broader in scope than previously thought and has deepened in the wake of the war in Iraq.

But mixed with this frustration is an understanding that the US has a significant role to play internationally and should not withdraw completely, Whitney said. He noted there was not consistent support for closing US military bases overseas and that many respondents felt that their bilateral relationship with the United States was improving.

"It is not a consistent message of 'we don't want the US to be involved,' it's more nuanced," Whitney said. "They just want the US to play a more cooperative role and be a more constructive international player in terms of working through international organizations and listening to allies and friends when they have concerns."

antire erticle

Watch the questionnaire

What do YOU think?

I reckon the US are going through tough times right now, a true "higher and fire" position.

Maybe this is a time for reconsideration of elementary values and policies, maybe the US are willing to make a change - maybe. I truely hope so, because - even if it's not becoming apparent these days - I do l.o.v.e. the country(side) and individually I even appreciate much of the easy-going attitude (of most americans I encountered personally). Would be nice, if that nation would live up to their own ideals...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Damn... it's been a while since I've been in here!

Sorry bout that redface

But I had to post about the 'historic' (argh.... that word!!!) first meeting of Northern Ireland's own government.

Despite healthy doses of cynicism, I am quite optimistic that this could be the start of something good here.

The momentum has been created... and the will is there...

Belfast rocks... you all should visit biggrin

'Historic' day for Northern Ireland

In other news...

Yes, hundreds of children are snatched every day, around the world for terrible reasons by sick men... but this one appears to have caught public attention (probably because she's white, blonde and pretty).

But nonetheless... it's terrible to think what her mother and father are going through, and what they must be thinking.

Latest Madeleine story

There is no doubt that Eurovision is drivel... but make sure you watch it this weekend... because our lovely Antti is going to be in the final show biggrin

Hurrah!

Heckle from your living room wink

Please keep posting local and national stories of interest.... from where you are

xx

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Mars to start using animal products...

Sparklygreenfire*Green Spirit*
201 posts

Posted:
'"Mars products are very popular with young people and many will be shocked to discover that their manufacture now relies on the extraction of rennet from the stomach lining of young calves," it added.' (Taken from above report)

Eeuww...eek

Also..

'Masterfoods said the change was due to it switching the sourcing of its ingredients and the admission was a "principled decision" on its part. '

...no doubt cheaper for them, but bet they bump the price we pay up!!

frown

Are you a robot...or an alien?

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yep... quite unbelievable that a chocolate company (in the days when eating lots of sugar is generally considered bad for you) would actually choose to alienate quite a large market (vegetarians).

The fools!

rolleyes

And speaking of which...

US army bans it's soldiers from using YouTube and MySpace - y'know, just in case they should show the world how hellish war is...

3,556 posts

Posted:
that and they have much more important things to do than make videos to post. the videos might also give away locations and informaotion that put soldiers in danger because someone pulled a geraldo.

Faith

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Surely soldiers wouldn't be jeopardising their own locations though?

And they must have time off... (quite apart from any perceived moral duty to let people back home know what it's like).

Y'see... I can completely understand them wanting to use those sites to stay in touch with family and friends.

Iraq and Afghanistan can't be fun places to work and so any level of comfort must be welcome... taking away that comfort will not go down well, I suspect.

3,556 posts

Posted:
i'm not saying they would necessarily do it on purpose, but who knows even. It's scarey because your loved ones rely on the sanity of others in an insane situation that breaks people.
I agree it would be nice to have video postcards, but there is a strong possibility of something going wrong shrug

Faith

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Cutty Sark catches fire! eek ubbcrying

https://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article2565276.ece

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

....."two Czech people, got temporary prisoned during wildfire affecting Greece, for 'manipulation with fire' "....

unofficialy,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
bit of intresting news the vatican has urged catholics to end support for amnesty international

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6750887.stm

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
just goes to prove that the church isn't actually interested in helping people at all.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

3,556 posts

Posted:
Why does it mean that they aren't interested in helping people?
They aren't wanting to support abortions. That itself is helping people.

Amnesty has enough problems as it is.

Faith

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
By not supporting abortions they're supporting the ruination of women who were likely to be victims to begin with (as in, the situation where they became pregnant was probably one where they were a victim) and who are likely to continue to be victimised because of the pregnancy.

Amnesty doesn't have as many problems as the church.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
dont know about that FIF amnesty has a much better track record than the catholic church when it comes to questionable moral dealings if you dout that i can provide you with an extensive list.

i meen faith lets suppose god forbid you were violently raped against your will and became pregnent as a result then you were denided an abortion and we're forced to bare that child for nine months before giveing birth haveing to spend the rest of your life raiseing the child of the man who raped and violated you. something you would be reminded of every day. would you think that you were better off because you were force to carry the child? what about the child is it fair to bring a child into a situation like that?

would you feel that by been denied an abortion you had been helped?
EDITED_BY: robnunchucks (1189098198)

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Am in work tonight and wanted to flag these two up...

The loss of a great artist, from pancreatic cancer:

COLLEAGUES REMEMBER PAVAROTTI'S GREATNESS
Friends and admirers of Luciano Pavarotti joined a chorus of grief as the world
paid homage to the thrilling voice and exuberant personality of the great
Italian tenor who died today.
Amid an outpouring of tributes, the Vienna State Opera raised a black flag in
mourning, the Guards band at Buckingham Palace played Pavarotti's signature aria
Nessun Dorma at the Changing of the Guard ceremony, and the tenor's northern
Italian hometown of Modena said it would name the city's theatre after its
native son.
Newscasts and websites across the world led with news of his death and radio
stations aired his unmistakable recordings in Pavarotti's memory.
``The whole world will be listening today to his voice on every radio and
television station. And that will continue. And that is his legacy. He will
never stop,'' said conductor Zubin Mehta, who directed Pavarotti in Rome and Los
Angeles for his Three Tenors concerts with Placido Domingo and Jose Carreras.
``I always admired the God-given glory of his voice - that unmistakable special
timbre from the bottom up to the very top of the tenor range,'' Domingo said in
a statement from Los Angeles.
``They threw away the mould when they made Luciano. He will always be
remembered as a truly unique performer in the annals of classical music.''
Carreras said he would remember Pavarotti as one of the ``most important tenors
of all times.''
``We have to remember him as the great artist that he was, the man with such a
wonderful charismatic personality, very good friend and a great poker player,''
Carreras said in a video clip recorded by Swedish newspaper Expressen.
Pavarotti died this morning at his home in Modena after battling pancreatic
cancer since last year, his manager Terri Robson said in a statement.
``The world has lost a great tenor, but I've lost a great friend, a brother,''
Mirella Freni, an opera great and one of Pavarotti's close childhood friends
said.
``We grew up together, studied singing and God blessed us with great careers.
I've lost a brother.''
US President George Bush said he and his wife Laura were joining Pavarotti's
fans and family in mourning. ``From singing with his father in a small church choir near Modena, Italy, to performing in sold-out stadiums in America and all across the world, Pavarotti entertained audiences with his perfect pitch and charismatic interpretations,'' Bush said in a statement.
Venice's La Fenice theatre flew flags at half staff and planned a minute of
silence at Thursday's performance. Milan's storied La Scala, where Pavarotti
performed 140 times, said that as Pavarotti's illness worsened, it had decided
to create a joint international singing competition with Modena's theatre to
ensure his legacy continued.
``With him a splendid era of opera singing is entrusted to history,'' La Scala
superintendent Stephane Lissner said in a statement.
Italians remembered Pavarotti as an ambassador of Italian style and culture
abroad. In a telegram to the star's family, Premier Romano Prodi gave Pavarotti
``a last, grateful, applause,'' thanking him for ``bringing to the world the
most authentic artistic image of our country.''
For fans and colleagues, the beauty of Pavarotti's voice and his charismatic
performances made him the ideal interpreter of the Italian lyric repertory,
especially in the 1960s and '70s when he first achieved stardom.
``It was incredible to stand next to it and sing along with it,'' soprano Joan
Sutherland said of Pavarotti's voice at the time.
A 14-week tour of Australia with Sutherland and her husband, conductor Richard
Bonynge, gave Pavarotti the recognition he needed to launch his career. He also
credited Sutherland with teaching him how to breathe correctly.
``My husband ... and I had great joy working with him. The quality of the sound
was so different. You knew immediately it was Luciano singing,'' Sutherland told
BBC radio.
Soprano Renee Fleming, preparing for a performance in Matsumoto, Japan,
remembered singing with Pavarotti during a telecast at Lincoln Centre.
``He had the most perfect technique in the history of recorded music,'' she
said in an e-mail to The AP.
But Pavarotti's voice was just the beginning.
The UN refugee agency recalled how his Pavarotti & Friends benefit concerts
with top rock stars helped collect £3.5 million for displaced people in various
conflict areas, from Kosovo to Afghanistan to Angola.
U2 singer Bono said Pavarotti was ``a great volcano of a man who sang fire but
spilled over with a love of life in all its complexity,'' while Elton John, who
sang the duet Live Like Horses with Pavarotti in 1996, said the tenor's death
marked ``a sad day for music and a sad day for the world.''
Pavarotti was also credited with bringing opera to millions through his
showmanship and his outdoor concerts.
``He brought arts performance to people who don't go to opera houses. None of
the classical singers have had the ability and courage to do that,'' said Hong
Kong tenor Warren Mok.
``He was one of those rare artists who affected the lives of people across the
globe in all walks of life,'' the Royal Opera House in London said in a
statement.
``Through his countless broadcasts, recordings and concerts he introduced the
extraordinary power of opera to people who perhaps would never have encountered opera and classical singing, in doing so he enriched their lives.''

And... BSE affects felines now... in Germany

BSE-LIKE DISEASE DETECTED IN GERMAN ZOO'S CHEETAH
A cheetah at a zoo in Nuremberg has died after contracting an illness similar
to mad cow disease, becoming the first confirmed case in Germany of feline
spongiform encephalopathy, city authorities said today.
Lulu, a female cheetah born in 1998, had suffered for six weeks from problems
that included trouble balancing and weakness in her hind legs, the Nuremberg
city government said in a statement.
The animal eventually was put to sleep, and tests by Bavarian and federal labs
were positive for FSE, it added.
It was unclear how and when Lulu became infected with the disease, which has a several-year incubation period, but Nuremberg authorities said it likely happened in the Netherlands, where she was born.
Lulu moved to Germany at the age of 15 months, returned to the Netherlands five
years later and arrived at the Nuremberg zoo in March 2006.

Laters x

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I'm looking forward to that day that people stop letting the church run their lives. I just can't comprehend the mentality that is "Uh-oh, the church is mad at me because I did something they say i can't" and then you go and confess yer sins and your all ready to sin again. Beleive it or not but the clergy are no different then you or I with the exception of knowledge of the Bible and still, I know some people that know the Bible cover to cover. I guess what I'm getting at is who is to say these clergy folk have any authority...certainly not God.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

3,556 posts

Posted:
First, I have been raped
Second, I don't have to raise the child. There are lots of couples waiting to adopt infants. It's the older kids that get stuck in foster care more so

When amnesty has been around as long as the Church, we'll see how many problems it has had.

Poje: it's in the Bilble: Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
(Matthew 28:18-20)

Confession you are only forgiven if you are sorry and intend not to do it again.

And because the Church never does any good...Please tell that to those from Katrina or in St. Kit's or Guadalajara. They get food, clothes, school supplies, housing, help with economic factors. But the Church is a horrible institution.

There is a saying that there is really only a handful of people who actually hate the Church, the rest only hate what they think the Church is

Faith

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:

Poje: it's in the Bilble: Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

I wasn't considering Jesus as clergy

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

(Matthew 28:18-20)

this to me is saying "spread my word all over", not entirly sure where you were going with it.

edit:

Oh and i never said i hate the church, I tried it, it wasn't for me. I think it comes down to faith, I have trouble blindly following.
EDITED_BY: poje (1189108661)

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Page: ...