Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hi there everyone,

After a couple of requests, some consideration and my own rather curvaceous tangent on the thread for the Russian families of the school massacre… I decided to start a thread dedicated to interesting issues in the daily news (or even the daily news itself, anything news-related really… you get the idea).

I’ve done a search and while there’s hundreds of threads for individual news stories, I couldn’t find one for an ongoing discussion of what’s happening in the world around us.

I know lots of people don’t follow the news, but many do, and my opinion is that discussion on current events gives people a better understanding of nations, races and ‘humanity’, for want of a better word.

HoP is in the enviable position of having a really global audience – there can’t be many websites with regular posting members from right across the world, covering such a wide spectrum of cultures, ideas and beliefs. We have the ability to look at events from many different viewpoints, so I thought we should use it.

Anyways, I was thinking we could post, or draw attention to, some of the main stories that affect us on a daily basis…

Btw, I really don’t want this to become an America-bashing thread (or any other type of bashing). I think most of us share the view that the American government are fairly appalling at the minute, and while criticism will definitely happen, I don’t want any Americans on the site to feel victimised or that pro-Bush types feel their views aren’t valid. Try to keep all the views considered and, if possible, sourced.

So anyways, let me know what you think…

A couple of interesting stories I picked up on today were:

Indonesia has become the latest nation to join the war on terrorism following the car bomb at the Australian embassy which killed 9 people and injured 180… I heard an Indonesian government official (I think it was the spokesman for the Indonesian foreign ministry) say they are 'now ready to join the war on terror', after it was alleged the ‘militant Islamic group Jemaah Islamiah’ were responsible. (sorry, am about to leave work and couldn't find a source... will try to get it tomorrow).

Also, US secretary of state Colin Powell has declared the situation in Sudan a genocide:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3641820.stm

It seems the countries are busy arguing over the term ‘genocide’ as opposed to actually getting out there with aid and peacekeeping forces.

Anyways, I’d be interested to hear anyone’s opinions on these stories… as well as anything else you’d like to bring up…

Thanks
take care
Clare xox

Getting to the other side smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

I'll explain myself later... promise...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
smile

Love is the law.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
from the new zealand hearald: (vaguely old, but it was linked in another story the other day)

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?ObjectID=3544908

Written by:

Juggling may increase size of your brain

Juggling and probably other visual skills that take time to master increase the size of your brain.

That's the conclusion of German researchers, which throws down the gauntlet to the mainstream view that the size of the adult brain does not change at all except when it is confronted by ageing or disease.

University of Regensburg neurologist Arne May and colleagues asked 12 people in their early 20s, most of them women, to learn a classic three-ball juggling trick over three months until they could sustain a performance for at least a minute.

Another 12 were a control group who did not juggle.

All the volunteers were given a brain scan with magnetic resonance imaging at the start of the programme, and a second after three months.

After this, the juggling group were told not to practise their skills at all for three months, and then a third scan was taken of all 24 volunteers.

The scans found that learning to juggle increased by about 3 per cent the volume of "grey matter" in the mid-temporal area and left posterior intra-parietal sulcus, which are parts of the left hemisphere of the brain that process data from visual motion.

Students who had not undergone juggling training showed no such change.

After the third scan, by which time many recruits had forgotten how to juggle, the increases in grey matter had partly subsided.

i knew it was working! i wonder if they can model how much more or less poi increases brain mass compared to juggling?

-- dut
EDITED_BY: Dut (1112200043)

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
arrggghhh!!!!

more bad reporting!!!

you don't "gain grey matter" by juggling, and the report never said that you did - only the press reprots of the scientific results did!

what happens is that the amount of grey matter given over to visual processing is increased (temporarily and for as long as needed - eventually fading if not used), but this gain comes at the expense of other brain areas who must essentially give up processing power to the visual cortex.

the interesting result of this study is that it proves the brain can reallocate resources to accomodate changing living conditions (becoming a juggler for instance).

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
umm

Do you have a problem with the press young Vanize?

ubblol tis ok, don't answer that tongue

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
I bet it wouldn't work as well with people over 30. The brain becomes less flexible after that...I know this from my own pathetic efforts to learn poi starting at age 44...I just don't have the spare synapses.

But I persevere, because it's such FUN!

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Thought some of you might be interested in this set of thoroughly depressing stories re: water issues around the world. Given the current conflicts in the Middle East, oil is on a lot of people's minds, but personally I think that we'll hit severe crises with water before (or perhaps concurrently?) we do with oil.

"300 million rural Chinese lack clean drinking water"
Xinhua News Service, March 23, 2005

Less than half of China's water is drinkable due to pesticide
pollution.

"Billion people face water shortages, warns UN"
Independent (U.K.), March 23, 2005

The WHO marked World Water Day by calling for action in Africa, where water shortages could plunge the continent into war.

"Country faces disaster due to water diversion by India"
The New Nation (Bangladesh), March 22, 2005

Experts say Bangladesh will suffer desertification and disease if India implements its river-linking project.

"Argentina: uranium-polluted water is legally safe to drink"
Inter Press Service, March 24, 2005

Up to one million residents of Buenos Aires are drinking uranium-
contaminated water that the government says is safe.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Jesus eek

Thanks for that blueboy

x

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
my brother lived in china in the early 80s - he said even in bejing people would walk down to the absolutely filthy river, use their bowl to sweep aside several inches of sludge and debris, and fill a pail and walk home with it for cooking. even after boiling, that couldn't have been good for you!

I know china has come a long way in the last 20 years, but that is a long way to come from, so I very well imagine they still have issues with their water supply!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

456 posts

Posted:
I just heard that Terri Schiavo has finally died.

May her spirit find peace and healing.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
And the pope (nearly)...

Finally the man can be left in peace.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
monday morning blues. stifling cold

*sniffle*

*drip*

good weekend though.

eat any Curry Wurst yet?

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hmpf.

And what, pray tell, does this have to do with the news?

Mr Phelan, that you have the cold is not really newsworthy tongue

biggrin

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ubblol

wrong threab

sorby

:blurrysmiley:

Love is the law.

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
i was wondering - what would have happened had the pope ended up in a terri-schiavo-style situation? would they just have gone on and elected a new pope?

no, of course not. the vatican would rapidly have become overpopeulated . . .

ture na sig

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I don't think we would have ever found out if that had been the case.

456 posts

Posted:
Well, he carefully avoided that by refusing to go back to the hospital, and by sitting by an open window in the cold and damp for a while, against the strong advice of his doctors. Unlike Schiavo, he was in a position to make sure he died completely, instead of only partially.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

True.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I thought this link was very interesting

Then and Now

Interesting to see the devastation of the war, and the way we have "overcome" it. Rebuilt, and survived.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Wow. Thanks for digging this thread up again Pink, and thanks for the link.

I really need to start getting motivated to doing things again.... like posting on this thread smile

(Incidentally, I saw similar pictures when I visited the Reichstag recently... it is quite amazing the efforts to rebuild... right throughout the city)

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
Old Laws

I found this so funny! ubblol

I especially like the law that "which requires Royal Navy ships which enter the Port of London to provide a barrel of rum to the Constable of the Tower of London"

and

"it is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament in a suit of armour" smile

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I nearly got busted in class as i laughed out loud at this one "It is still illegal for cabbies to carry rabid dogs or corpses and by law they must ask all passengers if they have small pox or the plague. " ubblol

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
America has some funny ones too
These are real standing laws from around the United States of America. Hope you enjoy them and remember, Law Enforcement is no joke!

Alabama:
1. It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.

California:
1. Community leaders passed an ordinance that makes it illegal for anyone to try and stop a child from playfully jumping over puddles of water.

Connecticut:
1. You are not allowed to walk across a street on your hands.

Florida:
1. Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.
2. A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.
3. If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.
4. [SARASOTA] It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.
5. Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown. biggrin

Illinois:
1. It is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animal kept as pets.

Indiana:
1. Bathing is prohibited during the winter.
2. Citizens are not allowed to attend a movie house or theater nor ride in a public streetcar within at least four hours after eating garlic.

Iowa:
1. Kisses may last for as much as, but no more than, five minutes.

Kentucky:
1. By law, anyone who has been drinking is "sober" until he or she "cannot hold onto the ground."
2. It is illegal to transport an ice cream cone in your pocket.

Louisiana:
1. It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water pistol.
2. Biting someone with your natural teeth is "simple assault," while biting someone with your false teeth is "aggravated assault."

Massachusetts:
1. Mourners at a wake may not eat more than three sandwiches.
2. Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.
3. An old ordinance declares goatees illegal unless you first pay a special license fee for the privilege of wearing one in public.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
The Lake that Vanished Overnight!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thought this story from the Herald Sun newspaper in Australia was pretty funny.

“Victorian Police sniffer dogs may not be able to recognise cocaine, but they are experts in hunting down babies. In an embarrassing error, the force's seven drug sniffer dogs have been trained to detect talcum powder instead of the drug for the past three years”

Apparently someone swapped the coke for talc, and the sniffer dogs learnt how to sniff out talc instead of cocaine ubblol

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I hope this is a good place to post this:

Two hurt in mock light sabre duel

Two people filled glass tubes with petrol and lit them to 'play jedi'

rolleyes

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Marvellous biggrin Was just going to post that one myself - thanks smile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I just heard that on the radio at work.. I was completely gobsmacked that anyone, let alone adults, could be that damn stupid. See, being a sci-fi fan obviously makes you dumb ubblol I knew it!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
spank

Love is the law.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
ok sorry! Yes that was a bit flippant of me. I hope they get better soon.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Page: ......