The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
Ok so there's yet ANOTHER hurricane comeing towars us here in not so sunny Florida, and this one is a force 5 (thats the biggest it can get). It's already demolished Genada.......this will be the 3rd one this year, all in the course of about a mounth!! The stress this is puting on everyone is getting to the point of self-destruction. Physicaly, mentaly, and emotionaly this state is ready to collapse..............so to any Florida residents, especialy south Florida, get ready 'cause here comes more.................plus there is no way to spin fire in a hurricane...........i hate this state........and apparently so does "God" or who ever is up there

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
I lived in FL for 6 years. Up untill Hurricane Andrew tore up my area. I moved to MA a week later. Ya know I'll take snow over hurricanes any day.

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Florida is certainly a state that has taken a beating this year. Are you old enough to live on your own and move away from there? If so, you might consider it.

Something else to note is that Florida (at least the west coast) hasn't seen much in the way of tropical weather in several years. My parents lived just outside of Ft. Myers for 12 years and never saw any tropical storms.

North Carolina seems to be a state that gets hit badly and rather frequently.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Move to Wales! Get to enjoy 17 different types of rain. biggrin

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Or to Michigan and enjoy about 30 types of cold and cloudy. I mean, we get tornadoes, but I've never suffered a natural disaster. The occasional big blizzard that shuts everything down for a day or so, sure, but that's really about it.

In Florida, the weather is lovely punctuated by brief periods of sheer horror. In Michigan, it's more like the Chinese Water Torture. It's just constant low-level irritation until you're ready to burst from cabin fever because you can't friggin' ever go outside.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
I'm originally from Key West (mom is evacuating from there now) and have family in Tampa. I currently reside in North Carolina so wherever I go, hurricanes seem to follow! I'm praying that Ivan will miss the keys because a category 4 will basically wipe out that island and my family's homes.

Argh.

I'll take the occasional hurricane over prolonged freezing weather any day though.

Fear the evil monkey!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I agree with you supafly about the cold - bluck! I freeze easily anyway, so sticking me in someplace that actually gets freezing temps doesn't sound like fun to me.

The bad news is that Ivan is now a Category 5, and expected to increase and intensify before too long. Hopefully your family will manage to get out safely.

The sad news is that it is now headed for Jamica. My brother is supposed to be honeymooning there in less than 2 weeks - I hope that island doesn't get devastated so he can enjoy his honeymoon.

1,489 posts

Posted:
i have some family in Key West also Supafly, my dad's side of the family was born and raised there, were hoping my uncle will actually leave this time. he's a tipical conch, thinks he'll live threw any storm

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I think vanize has an uncle that sounds just like yours...his house is somewhere in the keys as well.

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Yep, that's sounds like my family to a tee. They've been there for 5 generations now and figure they will always "ride out the storm". Definitely the conch mentality to shrug pretty much anything off.

Spritie, I hope it spares Jamaica for your brother's sake as well as all those living there. I've been checking out the pics from Grenada and that place is completely destroyed.

Fear the evil monkey!

1,489 posts

Posted:
hurricanealley.net * nhc.noaa.gov are the best sites to fallow this thing on

hogasmBRONZE Member
stranger
27 posts

Posted:
you folks need to come to northern Canada. a bit chilly in the dead of winter, but no:hurricanes, earthquakes, ice storms, tornados, floods, volcanoes, blizzards, droughts, or any other kinds of natural disasters. a place of permanent mother-nature moods: cold and less than cold.
btw: i accept your challenge"can't poi in a hurricane".....hmm, where's my passport and video cam? angelblue

A week of Mondays?BRING IT ON!!!

LetumLuxSILVER Member
57 posts

Posted:
What's wrong with everyone? All I ever hear about is Hurricane Hate. Hurricanes have feelings, too. ::Teardrop::
I was near rejoicing when I heard Ivan was the first Cat 5 of the season, and that it would be coming to Florida. I'm a born and raised Floridian, between WPB and Tampa, and I've had quite a bit of my stuff demolished by hurricanes and the floods it causes. I bare no ill-will toward the event, though, and in fact, I encourage them. Maybe that's just me. But it also seems to be that if people are really that fed up with them, they'd stop moving to places where they happen, and act surprised and upset when a perfectly natural process happens to wipe away what they have built. The same goes for anywhere - I presently live in a volcanically and tectonically active area, and while I would be disgruntled at first by the sudden destruction of things or people I enjoy, hey, life goes on, and we all knew (or should have known) the risks involved with living in such an area. Its the spices of life that make it more interesting, and sometimes its a little too spicy for us. But what is a demolished home or two to the alternative? I, for one, will be cheering on the wind and rain, hopefully down there in it. Too bad the weather would put out my wicks...

Regardless, I DO hope everyone remains safe, and preferably gets outta dodge for Ivan if it does reach Florida at full strength, or even as a Cat 3. As compact as it is, it could very well be another Andrew if it's determined to make Floridian landfall. But just remember, hurricanes are natural, and don't produce radioactive fallout - so at least it's a not a nuke, eh?

There really is no explanation for this painful phenomenon. I passed out cold. Then I died. - Ach Mein Gott, issue 1.

The lurker formerly known as LollipopSpider.

parcheflBRONZE Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
I LOOOOVVVEEE FLORIDA! Hurricanes are NOT that often or bad, besides, we are experts and know how to prepare. I know this thread is old, but I couldn't just let it go. Come visit anytime, we'll show you why we're so famous.