Page:
MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:

I know its such a female thing to say ....ooooo how have you lost all that weight .....i thought i was a comfortable weight.... and happy until ...one of my friends just told me that my ex-boyfriend of three years ago...three years....... said i would be pretty if i lost 2 stone.....i know nobody here needs to hear this but i was wondering if anyone has had the same thing happpen to them????

I can lose weight fast ..but this involves strain on my heart if anyone knows what i mean..... its not goood and is incredibly stupid..................
Has anyone got any good ideas.... and dont say a controled diet cause i have been on one most of my life...
i eat good stuff ..YUM YUM YUM my favorite is broccoli

Confused ubbrollsmile help

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
"Staying healthy is the most important thing in life" ~ that's what an old lady said to me at a yard sale last weekend. Anyways if you're already eating right and excercising, try just eating a little less and excercising a little more... that's all there is to it! Don't do it for some dumb boy either, do it for yourself and take your own sweet time about it.

I AM working.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
If you're happy with your body then the opinions of your ex aren't really important.

If you do want you lose weight then, as I'm sure you know, diets are of limited value as they tend to have a short term effect.

Have you considered weight training? Muscle requires more calories to maintain it than fat, and also effects the metabolism.

So if you put on more muscle you'll tend to lose fat (though muscle also weighs more than fat so don't trust the weighing scales to indicate your progress).

Weight training will also have other benefits such as improving posture and body awareness, if you do it intelligently with focus and awareness it has yoga-like aspects.

I find that it's also considerably more enjoyable and interesting than cardiovascular (heart/lung eg jogging) training.

If you're not into gyms, then you can do a lot at home with a set of adjustable dumbells.

The main thing though, is to be happy with your body whatever size and shape it is.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
The problem is with that last sentence Dave, what happens if you are never satisfied with your body?

Ive thought about this, and I have come to realise that its my body. Im happy with it. It is very useful for doing stuff. Agreeably, there are things i would want to change, but only small things (no...not my penis) but Im happy with the way I look.

Hang on...ive contradicted myself havent I?

redface

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I think you need to strike a balance; contentment with the way your body is is useful, as there will likely always be some aspect that isn't to your liking.

And the ability to change some of those aspects is useful; that's where weight training comes in.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*Nods head in agreement*

I love my chest muscles, my stomach, my biceps, and most importantly...my bum.

smile

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Indeed!
I too have a wonderful arse!
biggrin

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Written by:

one of my friends just told me that my ex-boyfriend of three years ago...three years....... said i would be pretty if i lost 2 stone

simple solution. punch him in the face for saying that. too many sad pathetic men seemed to be turned on a size 4 and exposed ribs.

as long as you are happy with yourself, be happy!

but, if you genuinely want to lose weight - its not about dieting, rather its about a long term change in lifestyle.

good luck!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Written by:

simple solution. punch him in the face for saying that. too many sad pathetic men seemed to be turned on a size 4 and exposed ribs.

Hear! Hear! Was very worried about my sister for a while, she was skin and bone and still had a body image, not helped by some feckin eejit telling her in a club that she had a fat ass when she was 7 stone eek

A short detox diet is good - for the health benefits - clear all the crap out of your system - then If you are serious about wanting to lose weight that an exercize plan combined with a healthy balanced diet is the way to go!

But if you are happy the way you are, ignore the comments of an ex boyfriend who is probably only saying that as he is bitter about what he is missing out on!

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:

Thankyou for your wise and very helpful words of wisdom ..........I suppose if losing weight was easy everyone would be thin.
I am gonna give it a good go anyway bounce

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
From person experience I can say it's not easy. You can't think of it as a diet but as a change in eating habits. I found that 5 or 6 little balanced meals work better than 3 meals. That way my body never get's the chance to get hungry and then I don't over eat and I don't get the munchies for things that I shouldn't eat.

I need to get back on my diet. ooooops change of eating habits. redface

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

I find that it's also considerably more enjoyable and interesting than cardiovascular (heart/lung eg jogging) training.

hey!! As a 2-time marathon finisher I grok that cardio is interesting and profound! tongue

Oh, you know what else about self-directed changing the shape of your body? It's cool! It's a body modification. Sorta like getting a tattoo or piercing or scarification. Except it takes a lot more will, determination, discipline and maybe even magick. That makes it even more intense!

I AM working.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
hrm... Don't even get me started on my body image issues. As sad as this is to admit, I have spent the past 12month focusing on trying to get a body that I am not ashamed of. I have major issues and have spent over $3000 in the past year on health and fitness. I actually suffer from some weird thing where the reflection I see in the mirror is about 7kg heavier than I actually am.

I have done 3 things in the past 12 months that have really made a difference.

Step One: After spending 6 months in hiding and loathing myself in the extreme, I started seeing a naturopath. She took me off virtually almost all types of food and brought my spirit back into my body and boosted my confidence through inner vitality. Although the diet was really strict and too hard for me to maintain for longer than 6 months, it gave me a taste of true health and developed the discipline that I needed for my next step.

Step Two: I joined SureSlim. This is a program where they take a blood test and work out your hormones and metabolsm etc. It cost me AUD$800 and worked really well, although having already taken all carbs and refined sugars out of my diet with my naturopath, the only really valuable information I gleaned from SureSlim was to WAIT 5 HOURS BETWEEN MEALS. Very strict - no snacking (including milk coffee/ tea or fruit juice) After a 5 hour period is when your piturirty gland starts kicking in and this in turn raises your metabolism and burns fat stores.

So, after totally going obsessive with every morsel I put in my mouth and getting slowly happier with my body shape, I decided to start reintergrating some of the foods into my diet. As a result, I started putting on weight again and figured the best thing to do was:

Step 3: I recently joined a gym. I always used to walk past gyms and laugh at all the monkeys on the treadmills, but I have reached a point where the only way forward is to get fit and toned. Now I do a 70minute workout 3 to 4 times a week which has made me feel good and fit! Added bonus: I get to eat naughty food occasionally cos I know I will be burning it off.

I am determined to feel comfortable in a bikini by my 27th birthday. This is on the 27th November.

Anyway, if anyone wants to discuss body image issues, self loathing and the rollercoaster ride of weight loss, then I would be happy to share more of my journey with you.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

evolsoulxjourneyman
60 posts

Posted:
Heh, over a 3 month span earlier this year, i lost about 25 pounds by playing Dance Dance Revolution daily, Drinking a crap load of Green Tea, and i also stopped eating red meat. biggrin Try DDR hehe.

BOMBS TERRORIST AIRPORT AIRPLANE HOSTAGE ALLAH JIHAD SUICIDE BOMB HIJACK

have you tested the patriot act recently?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

I think it's important to realise that what the scales say is not that relevant.

Many diets, especially those that lead to considerable weight loss, are actually causing loss of muscle.

This is bad, as muscle actually helps with not putting on faqt, due to the amount of energy necessary to sustain that level of muscle.

Being heavier than fat, a loss of muscle shows up as weight loss on the scales, but it's actually a step backwards.

An individual who takes up weight training could well lose fat, but, by gaining muscle, weighing scales would show an increase in weight- despite this, they will have progressed.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I usually get the comment "she would be so pretty if she only gained a few kilos" I know it is the opposite of what you are commenting on but it is still pretty upsetting to hear nonetheless.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Okay Medusa smile I will mail you some of my arse and thighs and we can both look "pretty"! What's your address?

wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Sounds good to me flash fire...do you think it would graft well to my arms and my face?
hmmm....ubblol

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
You should be happy who you are! I know I am! I know people say a few nasty things about me behind my back, but i really *really* could'nt give a rats arse about it. I like that radox advert where the people sing in the shower going "Life's not worth a damn till you can say - I am what I am"
I've got curves, and im proud.

UcofCotesymember
61 posts

Posted:
People always say horrid stuff i was bullied about my weight when i was younger but as long as you are happy with yourself then it doesnt matter what other say nor think
Kids can be so cruel........ ubbcrying

Turkish Goggles
Distress
A chicken with one leg is like a bus with no wheels.......Useless, unless you have a rich imagination

Mistress_MaledictiHeaven doesn't want me, and Hell is afraid I'll take over
192 posts

Posted:
People usually just see a larger person and automatically assume that they're overweight because they overeat. It would be nice if sometimes they'd stop and think that maybe there are other reasons for it. There but for the grace of Goth, as they say...

mups

"Abashed, the Devil stood and saw how awful Goodness is"

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
When I was younger I met the nicest woman. She ate like a bird but she was very large. She had medical issues when she was giving birth to her second child and as a result she blew up like a balloon.

People always used to stare at her when she walked down the street and some younger people used to make the nastiest comments about her diet.

People need to be more understanding about the fact that medical conditions do exist that can cause the propblems, stop judging and learn to love the person within.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
The only thing that has ever worked for me to lose weight is rowing 10km 6 days a week, and running/stair climbing/swimming the other day. people say that 3 times a week and eating healthily works too, but i'm dreadfully sorry, but the above is the only thing thats ever worked for me.

i have major issues with my weight; my summer weight and my winter weight differ by about 10kg, leaving me with major self-esteem issues in winter.

i have been struggling with my weight all winter, but there is little i can do because i can't train due to year 12. but i now need to drop a size by graduation to fit into my dress...

but the problem is that i can't train because of exams...

but i agree, what exs say can cut really deep. but i got it on the other end of the scale; when i was at my desired size (not incredibly thin, but very sporty and fit-looking) my ex had a go at me for being anorexic and not eating (far from the truth! you cant do the training i do and not eat! it cant be done!!! i'd eat 4-5 meals a day!). and it really hurt me.

i'd say to try and exercise as much as you can. just run, run, run a bit more and then do some swimming. sorry, but that's all i can suggest.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I know what you mean about exs.

One of my exs used to poke me in the belly and tell me I was getting fat all the time.

Which is absolutely hilarious I am a feather weather weight and my nickname even to this day is "Anna" (no guess as to what that stands for).

But even now when I start to even get a little bit of a pot belly I start getting a bit paranoid and usually up the amount of sit ups I do to get rid of it.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
hey meerkat,
well having seen you in reading you looked great how u were ok! u def dont need to lose any weight, if u were fat you wouldnt have been able to do that weird leg move ud id that confuddled me, im too fat to do that one! cheer up n dont listen to ex's!!!!!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Assuming that 'base bodystate' is that at which an individual carries their ideal amount of body fat, where 'ideal' would be a compromise between ideal for health and aesthetically ideal.

This avoids the confusions of talking about 'weight' which, as I mentioned above, is not that relevant and generally clouds the issue.

Most diets that work quickly will have a detrimental effect on both health and appearance, as much of the weight loss will come from dissapearing muscle.

Conversly, someone may be a carrying an extra stone of bodyfat, yet be, and look, very healthy, as they have a good musculature, good posture etc.

(and one source of good posture is self confidence, so many people who feel good about the way they look, will actually look good, despite being technically 'overweight').

Extreme examples of people carrying lots of extra bodyfat, yet not suffering adversly from it, include off season bodybuilders, who generally are at least a stone or two over their 'ideal', and some of the lighter sumo wrestlers, who, despite weighing 16-18 stone, are extremely fit and look quite toned.

In contrast are many models in the media eye who, despite being svery slim and of low weight, look pretty bad and aren't healthy due to their restrictive diet and using smoking to cover hunger pangs.

It's also worth noting that women are, biologically speaking, supposed to carry more bodyfat than men.

IMO, if someone is carrying more bodyfat than they would like, they'd be far better off dealing with it by: -

improving posture

improving self confidence (I'm not meaning to say that these are necessarily that easy, but it's surely more worth while than attempting a lifetime of calorie deprivation)

upping their muscle mass via weight training

ignoring completley what the scales say

avoiding the various 'diets' that are currently fashionable

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i find it interesting that you say that a way to deal is by improving self confidence, because i find that self confidence comes after the decrease in body fat. for example, at the moment i have pretty much zero self confidence, but as soon as summer hits and i shed kilos, my self confidence will be right up.

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
It sounds like your self esteem is, to some extent, based upon how you percieve your body.

That's not unusual, but it's far from ideal as, when your bodies not conforming to what you see as its ideal, your self confidence is going to be low.

You mentioned that the only thing that worked for you is large amounts of daily aerobic exercise, which is obviously difficult to sustain on a long term basis.

Have you tried weight training? This has a very direct impact on your body, and would take up a lot less of your time (it's essential to leave a few days between sessions to allow the broken down muscle to grow). There's no reason why you couldn't also do a little aerobic stuff in between, if you like it.

Like I mentioned above, if you've got a good level of muscle then you'll look and feel good even if you're carrying extra bodyfat, plus, that fat will tend to be reduced anyway as muscle takes calories to sutain itself.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
my self esteem is, to an extent on the way i perceive my body. but it is also tied into how i feel. if i feel fit, then i feel good. and if i'm feeling fit, its usually when i have been training which means i'm on-weight.

weight training is a part of my 7-day a week training schedule (cardio on the morning, and weights in the afternoon if i havent passed out by then! ubblol). but its one thing to build up muscle, but the fat needs to go somehow, and it's interesting you mention about the calories muscles use to sustain themselves, because i've always been taught that the way you lost fat was to exercise at a certain percentage heart rate (sorry, i dont know it. i only know my cardio one)

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

There's lots of differing theories about the best ways to lose fat, so nothing I say is gospel.

One way is, as you say, cardiovascular exercise at a specific heart rate.

Others are to reduce calorie intake, or increase muscle mass etc, etc.

But the main thing is to aim for a permanent solution.

This could be a lifetime commitment to an exercise scedule, or a calorie restricted diet; but this is only feasible if it's not too extreme.

The idea of increasing muscle mass is that, while that muscle is maintained, it takes calories, so you can eat more without putting on fat.

Of course, for most people, putting on muscle is not particularly easy, and extreme amounts of cardiovascular exercise will hinder the process, as they eat into the bodies capacity to recover from the weight sessions.

So it could be worth cutting down on the cardio, and putting more emphasis on the muscle building.

This doesn't mean increasing the time spent weight training, for most individuals there is a definite limit to the amount of weight training they can recover from, as this kind of training breaks down muscle tissue, adequate rest is vital for the muscle to rebuild itself (bigger than it was before).

More emphasis means intelligent training, reasearch and experimentation into what works for you.

This would probably mean training 2 to 3 times a week, 30 minutes or less per session, using basic exercises, 3 sets of 6-12 repetitions, for each bodypart.

Understanding how each exercise works and the muscle it effects is important, and mental focus whilst doing the exercise will help.

Most important is consistency, and the best way to ensure this is to enjoy the workouts, so err on the side of doing too little, rather than too much.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Of course, for most people, putting on muscle is not particularly easy, and extreme amounts of cardiovascular exercise will hinder the process, as they eat into the bodies capacity to recover from the weight sessions.

dont i know it ubblol

Page: