Forums > Social Chat > Being Ginger in society

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Ginger, strawberry blonde, auburn, red, orange, whatever you wanna call it for the sake of this thread im calling it ginger. Blessing or curse?

Don't know why im posting this but felt like having a rant having only recently been spat on by a guy in a car after shouting GINGER!! so maybe im slightly depressed so i guess it makes sense for me to just complain about the abomination on top of my head? but im gonna do a bit of both, a bit of moaning but parts of me likes my hair, and i just wanted to ask what is peoples problem with ginger hair? why do people have such a problem with it?
oh by the way i apologise if during my analysis of what it is to be ginger i insult anyone of any other hair type, if i do it is NOT my intention ok!

so anyway yeh, i've pretty much had the same colour hair all my life, admitedly when i was younger it was more red and now its more of a sandy red but yet still falls under the category of ginger which i dont mind at all, all through school i got the treatment which any person with my colour hair would get, "ginger minger", "ginger pubes" "carrot top" and the like, have been teased so much that i have coninced myself to actually hate my parents for passing on the bloody genes!, i've previously burnt my scalp from bleaching to get rid of the colour, cut my hair, worn hats, everything and i think its a shame that people can bring other people to do things like that just because they are a minority in something so small and petty as hair colour! i'm not trying to get sympathy or anything, obviously it was my choice to bleach it and everything, but why should i even have to feel like that! along with the many others all over the world? one thing that really once stuck to me was someone said to me "why dont you dye your hair to become a 'normal person of society" pretty rude huh!
personally i think its a great colour, what colour are the roses shown to show love? red! what colour is a gorgeous sunset? red! what underwear is sexy? think of love what u think? a red heart maybe? what colour was supermans cape! and santa claus's costume and the bloody red carpet! ok im going into extremes here, sorry,
and anyway how come the average joe can get insulted yet others respected, movie stars have it, Seth green, Nicole kidman, Fry from futurama, even Henry VIII ha ha

so anyway like i said im not after any sympathy, im happy with my colour, its never interrupted my social life (well not that much) and i can proudly declare i have had a prolific sex life so it hasnt hindered me there either so im happy and at least im not going to you guys "i can't get a girlfriend frown" or anything, i have a great girlfriend who is sympathetic to my cause, apart from the odd insult,
if you shaved my head would u know from just looking at me what lay in my roots? doubt it, so why should it infringe of what kind of mate i could be? how good a poi spinner i could be? etc

so anyway guys, really sorry about such a pointless thread, sorry! just felt like having a good rant, blame that truck driver who spat at me a few hours ago for being ginger

oh last thing, at least the ginger matches the flames on my poi smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Of course, as long as we can agree that the level of homosexuality in ireland as observed by the romans was grossly overstated and not just a little bit off topic.

Getting back to the point (of the thread).

I think and have always thought red hair was lovely, if people are having a go, its probably because there a little jealous or very young (or very stupid) and dont know better than to say rude things to other people for no good reason.

Personally I think that red hair provokes a primal reaction in people. It makes it sometimes controversial, sometimes exotic and quite commonly fuzzy.

I have red hair hidden on my body funnily enough. Only one person has ever pointed it out. smile

Love is the law.

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
I agree with "grossly overstated" (though I might say "outright slander" if put to it, but other sources confirm that pre-Christian Ireland accepted homosexuality pretty freely). My point was: can't necessarily trust the Romans to report things accurately.

Hidden, huh? Makes me wonder where...though I can guess. PG rated site, drat it.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

Poi GirlBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
Hulloo! May I just say, first of all, that whoever it was in that truck was extremely rude for spitting at you because of your hair colour. I often think on this subject and it angers me in the same way it seems to have upset you.
I cut my hair short last year which my mum was ok with, but then I decided I wanted a mohawk. I had discussed (argued) it at length with her, putting forward my points that although my hair reflects an aspect of my personality, it shouldn't affect the way people treat me as a person since it does not determine somebody's character. She retaliated saying plainly that going out with me having a hairstyle like that would embarrass her, almost stepping forward to the point that she would temporarily disown me until my hair grew out to a "respectable" conformist hairstyle. frown
I'm not a rebel, but I don't like to conform if I don't agree with the principals of the subject in hand. I find that worrying about hairstyles and clothes is a petty issue to fuss over when there are actually a lot of pretty important things to sort out, besides next month's star haircolour!

So, drifting back to the issue of your fabulous hair, I say "be proud of who you are". You aren't your hair, but without that hair you would be stripping away a part of yourself. Never be ashamed of how you look because (and this is going to sound cheesy and Christina Aguilera-like) you ARE beautiful, despite those odd times when you look in the mirror and say..."What went wrong?". The person you are is reflected in how you appear to others. Be caring and you will radiate kindness to others.... smile

And i'm rambling...but I mean everything I have just said. Enjoy your prolific sex life! wink

Love Poi Girl weavesmiley *happy with her mohawk!*

-- "Only the gentle are ever really strong" -- ~ James Dean

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
So long as you didn't do it about three days after David Beckham, thats a very cool attitude. smile

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
wow what a feedback, well so far number of ginger insults have been 2 today but then again i do live in staines which is almost pikey central so oh well, i say hooray for red hair, oh know sorry its not red is it wink

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

456 posts

Posted:
Yeah, you're living among the Human Staines there. Do you have any idea why these f*cktards think they should insult you for the color of your hair? I mean, that's a byword for stupid prejudice where I come from: "They're taking him to prison for the color of his hair." I can't even begin to imagine where they're coming from.

I mean, it's not like you're an Ancient Egyptian -- though Ramses II (probably the "Pharaoh" mentioned in the Bible) was supposed to have had red hair. Red was associated with the desert, therefore death and Setesh (a pretty nasty god, at least until you get to know him).

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
I have a random factoid that my friend cut out and gave me, regarding the bible. It simply states:

"Most of the villains in the bible have red hair."

That's all, the Ramses II thing made me think of it...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
yeh too right!! biggrin

**Poidie**member
31 posts

Posted:
hair the colour of sunsets!!!!im jealous of your hair and so are all of those dicks!!!i love you for it!!!

DONT BLEACH IT AGAIN PLEASE!!!!

sunny

xxxxxxx

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
im sure i can resist the urge to bleach it again, i think it blinded people last time

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Having seen you on WillTV, I can officially report that yer not THAT ginger.

But frankly, who gives a monkeys?

biggrin

There ya go, told you I'd dig the thread out for you.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
bright blonde hair is not such a good look...ginger on the other hand is pretty damn lush. find me a ginger welsh man who drinks tea and i'd faint. hehe. ok i like wierd things in men.

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I can sort that out for you stroo!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Mark Twain (an old dead ginger dude) said that red-headed people were descended from cats instead of monkeys.

thats probably not true though.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Does anyone remember the episode of Rount the Twist "Icemaiden"?

"NO RED HARED GIRLS ALOUD!"

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
im sure there are plenty of tea drinking ginger welsh lads out there, never know stroo could be a rush of ginger hair dye getting bought now, oh and tetleys

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
My hair changes colour from a deep red to light blonde depending on the humidity, the position of the moon and my mood...
Anyways, whenever someone asks me if I have red pubes first I tell them that pubic hair is the root of all evil and second I tell them that when I did have pubic hair, it was more like a firey red mane!!!!!!! ROAR!!!!

smile

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
People occasionally say that my hair looks red.....someone said it at a party last night. pretty cool, really.

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: stroo

bright blonde hair is not such a good look...ginger on the other hand is pretty damn lush. find me a ginger welsh man who drinks tea and i'd faint. hehe. ok i like wierd things in men.

*wonders which is the weird bit, ginger, welsh or tea?* I think i know one of them, but i'd quite like to keep him, if that's ok.... biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
My hairs gingery right now. I dyed it blonde but i have natural red highlights and bleach always seems to bring them out... they fade quickly but i just look so... orange. Dont get me wrong it looks normal, natural honey blonde or whatever it is but apparently its supposed to be like an Iced Merangue or somthing or thats what the bottle said... more cold blonde rather then warm blonde. I am cold hearted (one would say i am the ice maiden) so having warm, sunny hair SUCKS! grrr damn loreal, damn them to hell.

456 posts

Posted:
Can anyone answer the fundamental question: Where does that even come from? The prejudice, I mean. I can imagine thinking red-haired people have tempers, or something (and I spent years having people assume I was stupid because I was blond). But to actually spit at them? I honestly cannot wrap my brain around where such people could POSSIBLY be coming from.

Anybody have ANY idea how such people think, if it can be called thinking?

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
i have no idea, if u think about it there really isnt much reason for it, it doesnt look like anything really bad so...i dunno

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
The anti ginger thing came from chris eveans- he's the biggest knob in the world.... also the vikings were considered barbarians but im too drunk too defend my views so tomorrow i cud feel very differently. I love Will, nobodys against him except strangers. Strangers are against me because i wear glasses- GET OVER IT- YOU HAVE A GIRLFRIEND- STOP LOOKING FOR SYMPATHY some people have nothing!!!!!!!

456 posts

Posted:
Let's see, is that "he's" as in "he's gone to the store," or as in "he's very tall"? In other words, "Chris Eveans IS the biggest knob in the world" -- or "...HAS the biggest knob in the world"?!??!?

Who in the space-time continuum is Chris Eveans?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
chris eveans is the biggest twat in the world
pyrowill has the biggest knob in the world
i know
end of discussion

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
You aren't a real member until you have posted on here drunk! ubblol ubblol ubblol

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)

Let's see, is that "he's" as in "he's gone to the store," or as in "he's very tall"? In other words, "Chris Eveans IS the biggest knob in the world" -- or "...HAS the biggest knob in the world"?!??!?

Who in the space-time continuum is Chris Eveans?

Ginger topped Radio and Tv presenter. A man that nobody liked and everyone watched. He was known for being drunk on the job. smile

Apt when you consider the direction this thread is going ubblol

Love is the law.

456 posts

Posted:
Ah. Sounds like the UK equivalent of Carrot Top, who is the world's most annoying comedian, and who never would have gotten on Carson without his mop of flame-red hair. But much as we all hate the sight of Carrot Top and the sound of his voice, Americans don't hold it against other red-haired people. AFAIK. I suppose there are drunken asshats who yell "Carrot Top!" and spit at any ginger-haired guy. But I've never in my life seen that happen.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)

Americans don't hold it against other red-haired people

ubblol

You do realise that there are a number off red heads that posted in this thread that have said the exact opppsite of that statement. And they were speaking from personal experience....

Love is the law.

tatttySILVER Member
158 posts

Posted:
i taught in Holland for a bit and a 12 year old asked me why all people in england have red hair! So no matter what colour our hair is, the rest of the world think all English our ginger!!! (or was it just a crazy 12 year old who thought that?!?! xxx

Make your own happiness by making others happy [Ikeda]

*they used to read me stories, as though my dreams were boring*

Page: