Forums > Social Chat > Being Ginger in society

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Ginger, strawberry blonde, auburn, red, orange, whatever you wanna call it for the sake of this thread im calling it ginger. Blessing or curse?

Don't know why im posting this but felt like having a rant having only recently been spat on by a guy in a car after shouting GINGER!! so maybe im slightly depressed so i guess it makes sense for me to just complain about the abomination on top of my head? but im gonna do a bit of both, a bit of moaning but parts of me likes my hair, and i just wanted to ask what is peoples problem with ginger hair? why do people have such a problem with it?
oh by the way i apologise if during my analysis of what it is to be ginger i insult anyone of any other hair type, if i do it is NOT my intention ok!

so anyway yeh, i've pretty much had the same colour hair all my life, admitedly when i was younger it was more red and now its more of a sandy red but yet still falls under the category of ginger which i dont mind at all, all through school i got the treatment which any person with my colour hair would get, "ginger minger", "ginger pubes" "carrot top" and the like, have been teased so much that i have coninced myself to actually hate my parents for passing on the bloody genes!, i've previously burnt my scalp from bleaching to get rid of the colour, cut my hair, worn hats, everything and i think its a shame that people can bring other people to do things like that just because they are a minority in something so small and petty as hair colour! i'm not trying to get sympathy or anything, obviously it was my choice to bleach it and everything, but why should i even have to feel like that! along with the many others all over the world? one thing that really once stuck to me was someone said to me "why dont you dye your hair to become a 'normal person of society" pretty rude huh!
personally i think its a great colour, what colour are the roses shown to show love? red! what colour is a gorgeous sunset? red! what underwear is sexy? think of love what u think? a red heart maybe? what colour was supermans cape! and santa claus's costume and the bloody red carpet! ok im going into extremes here, sorry,
and anyway how come the average joe can get insulted yet others respected, movie stars have it, Seth green, Nicole kidman, Fry from futurama, even Henry VIII ha ha

so anyway like i said im not after any sympathy, im happy with my colour, its never interrupted my social life (well not that much) and i can proudly declare i have had a prolific sex life so it hasnt hindered me there either so im happy and at least im not going to you guys "i can't get a girlfriend frown" or anything, i have a great girlfriend who is sympathetic to my cause, apart from the odd insult,
if you shaved my head would u know from just looking at me what lay in my roots? doubt it, so why should it infringe of what kind of mate i could be? how good a poi spinner i could be? etc

so anyway guys, really sorry about such a pointless thread, sorry! just felt like having a good rant, blame that truck driver who spat at me a few hours ago for being ginger

oh last thing, at least the ginger matches the flames on my poi smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
so i figure that makes me a blue blooded leaf eating redheaded hippy.

i'll go with that. that's exactly the look i was going for here

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Redheads are the sexiest people on earth IMHO. Check out the official Ginger Nation website:

https://www.tnt.34sp.com/gingernation/features/index.php?op=view&pid=9

List of famous redheads (Cleopatra is listed!):

https://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/List%20of%20famous%20redheads

Fear the evil monkey!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Ok i dont know what to call my hair.

If i say i dont think it's ginger i get called names and told off for not saying what my hair is.
If i say it's ginger i get told it's not, it's more strawberry blonde!
I think my hair just has a colour of it's own ubbangel

But... all my life i have been called "ginga minga", "carrot" etc...

What i want to know is who started making teasing people with ginger hair?

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: babajaga

There is nothing more sexy than somebody who is good with his body.
hug

So, how is Van, anyway? ubbangel

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i have brownish hair everywhere, except my chin, and sometimes my moustache. kinda weird, really.

apparently, 'blue bloods' come from the fact that the royal family used to eat off of lots of silverware, which they would inevitably ingest small bits of in the form of filings etc. apparently there are some health benefits to silver, but it can turn you a yucky grey-blue colour. which looks more blue. hence 'blue blood'.

i have no idea where blue steak comes from. i think it was that when you felt it, it would make your fingers turn blue or something.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
hey mig, i remember reading about people that ingest silver as a remedy for something or other. It said something about the horrbile skin color being a major side effect too. never knew it was related to the blue bloods though. cool.

must go have a look, see if i can dig something up

Love is the law.

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Red hair is so gorgeous! I've been dyeing mine various shades of red for years. Brown gets boring. You're lucky, really, and when those jerks grow up they'll see how pretty the ginger is.

E pluribus unum, baby.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
gingers rule, just thought i'd change the pace to my original statement of starting this thread, any more praise to gingers is very welcome

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i'd love to be a red-head. i'm brunette and its boring and dull. i was born red but it grew blonde, then brown. theres that sexy kinds thing about red-heads and damn i wish i had it!

my ex had a thing for red-heads...and didnt i always bloody hear about it. was great for my self esteem, i can tell you!!!

my boyfriend has red hair and he'd proud of it. (and looks very cute with it too!)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FlapjacksSILVER Member
part of the lonely trio
137 posts

Posted:
Ginger hair can look beautiful. There is a girl I will always refer to as ginga or carrot, but she's my best friend and knows I think her hair is gorgeous really. smile

smells like burning teenagers..

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
here's my two pennies..
Being a redhead as well, I have long since learnt not to give a censored about anyone that judges by appearance.

The point was nicely illustrated by a true story I read recently about a KKK member: His wife was away, and so he had to do the washing instead of his wife. Typical bloke on his own, he forgot about mixing colours and put a red t-shirt in with his (ceremonial) whites. The result: pink robes. He then went to a rally, but was shunned by all the other Klansmen, who called him 'pinko' and said he looked 'like a faggot'. The bloke was most upset about this, couldn't believe that they had rejected him on the colour of his robe, and said 'I guess it's what's inside that counts.'
Never a truer word spoken.

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
you're kidding! thats TRUE????
ubblol ubblol ubblol
that also proves karma!

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

kitemanFlying high!
245 posts

Posted:
*evil mad scientist voice*
Be patient my ginger ones, our day will soon arrive. When we rule the world there will be no persecution of the redness and being non red will be a crime against humanity.
We must go out and spread the gingerness to show that we are the true rullers of the Universe
*evil laughter*

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough!

It's not the size of the wave, it's the length of the ride!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
taking ove the world with a recessive gene...let me know how that goes for you wink

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
I reckon the reason people mock gingerness is that it will often be the most noticable feature of a person - if you're in any way different, you will be mocked, that is the way it goes. I get mocked for being tall, people get mocked for being fat, or jewish, or poor, or rich. Its nothing personal, everyone gets given stick for something.

One of my best mates has ginger dreadlocks so gets a lot of stick from charvs, but we're all quite good at letting stuff like that pass over our heads.

The best insult I've had thrown my way was "purple haired yoghurt thrower;" I almost wet myself when I heard that one. "Lanky streak of piss" is another one I enjoy, because I'm not sure why height and urine seem to be inherently linked.

Remember: if someone insults you, the best tactic is usually to giggle manically. Very disconcerting for someone trying to provoke a reaction from you.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rouge Dragon

taking ove the world with a recessive gene...let me know how that goes for you wink

hey, you know the saying, it's always the quiet ones... and in my mind that also works for "the ones with recessive genes", but I'm not a biologist...

yippee!! I'm always up for a spot of world domination, what's the plan, kiteman? should we start with a good cup of tea? without tea, no world conquering would ever get done....

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
I love 'purple haired yogurt thrower'. Thats soo funny ubblol

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Being physically, mentally and socially superior to anyone who insults you usually takes the sting out of things I find.

Also, we get to play with fire, they don't.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Dear Will,

Congrats on the thread darling- we both knew you'd get alot of attention and praise via it. NOW do you believe me?

Not only do I think you're sexy beast (hence why im your friggin girlfriend DUH) but now the whole world wishes to celebrate your ginger-ness!

Oh and i dont 'insult' you i TEASE YOU and you know its true!

Ps- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT DYE YOUR HAIR BLONDE.

kitemanFlying high!
245 posts

Posted:
eek What is this I read. Someone trying to hide there gingerness.
I can't have this. I have sent the ginger police round to sort this out once and for all.

The revolution has started.

BE PROUD OF YOUR GINGERNESS!!

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough!

It's not the size of the wave, it's the length of the ride!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
THANK YOU! He looks better with red hair BECAUSE IT SUITS HIM. However i cant really complain about dying ones hair because i want to cut it all off and dye mine black and purple which really isnt my natural colour. However if i was born in the right universe i would naturally have black and purple hair and fairy wings...

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
Actually red hair is a Norse mutation...all the red hair in Ireland comes from various Norse sources. Vikings, "Dublin Danes," etc. Blond hair is also Norse, though it can be Teutonic. Full-Blooded Celts have medium-brown to light-brown hair, period.

I was born with red hair, but became a towhead (hair the color of a freshly-split pine log) in short order. It turned curly in my adolescence, and darkened, first to shiny gold, then gradually to a dull mousy color. I have no idea what color it would be now, because I shave it.

Anybody who would spit at someone and shout epithets just because they have red hair is some kind of psychopathic freak. I'd say ignore them, they're beneath your notice, except that you apparently got quite a lot of harrassment for it through your early life. This completely mystifies me; I can't imagine where that comes from. Even in my grotesque little suburban "golden ghetto" such a thing would be unheard of.

But you're in the UK, so maybe it's different.

I'm with Dr. Lightning. Red hair is sexy. Especially the downbelow stuff...

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rouge Dragon

yes, people the revolution is coming

MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:

Heeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy wait i love red hair ,,,,,,and even better people who ignore the "ginger" comments once people see they dont wind you up they leave you alone......as for the truck driver...WELL ...if i had of been there i would have ripped his tiny balls off raaahhhhhhh spank spank angry mad
Ignorance breeds ignorance, it was probebly his parents....ooo ooo i see a debate for another thred coming on ubbidea

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)

Actually red hair is a Norse mutation...all the red hair in Ireland comes from various Norse sources. Vikings, "Dublin Danes," etc. Blond hair is also Norse, though it can be Teutonic. Full-Blooded Celts have medium-brown to light-brown hair, period

Xopher, it's common knowledge that the Celts were described by ancient Romans & Greeks as "a people of fair hair, of red & bright gold". i'll have a look on the net later for some links to support this.

you should do the same if you're gonna post a statement ending with "period" wink

and the Celts inhabited Ireland long before any "Dublin Danes" set foot ashore.....

smile

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
ok, here's what a quick search delivered.....

third paragraph, second line

first paragraph, third line

scroll down to the paragraph "Celts through Roman eyes", first paragraph, last line

Lisa peace

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Thought this might be found interesting, not to mention vindicating, ..... wink

Click Here

Love is the law.

456 posts

Posted:
The Romans also said that while Irish women were beautiful and stately, and their clothing and hair styling were unsurpassed in the world, this was all lost on Irish men, who were all too busy having sex with one another. Tacitus, IIRC.

More seriously, I once heard a friend describe Michael J. Fox as "blond." She grew up in a place where any color lighter than jet black was blond, and very rare besides. It doesn't surprise me that the Romans would have thought that what I'd call light brown hair was "blond" or "red."

In addition, full-blooded Celts were already almost nonexistent by the time the Romans encountered Ireland etc. Remember that the Celts dominated Europe for a thousand years, and interbred with Teutons and Spaniards on their conquering sweep west, before they landed in Ireland (the Goidelic ones). That jet-black hair that my mother got from her Irish dad? Spanish.

Nowadays, of course, you have the same chance of finding a full-blooded Celt as you have of finding a native speaker of Etruscan. Which is to say, zero.

I don't disagree that the Dublin Danes were well after the Celts. Of course they were, they were after the ROMANS. But the Norse raids into Ireland precede the Romans by a fair bit of time, IIRC.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

456 posts

Posted:
Also: Finnegan means "son of the fair-haired foreigner."

Donnegal (Dun na nGall) means "fortress of the strangers" where 'strangers' pretty well means Vikings. (As near as we can figure, that's where my Irish blood comes from...a "very strong name" there, Dougherty ("unfortunate," of all things!), in all the variant spellings.)

Basically, the Norse had already been raping a lot of Irish women before the Romans ever heard of them. Or us, since I claim that ancestry myself.

456 posts

Posted:
Can we agree on "Anybody who would spit at someone and shout epithets just because they have red hair is some kind of psychopathic freak"?

Page: