Forums > Social Chat > Being Ginger in society

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Ginger, strawberry blonde, auburn, red, orange, whatever you wanna call it for the sake of this thread im calling it ginger. Blessing or curse?

Don't know why im posting this but felt like having a rant having only recently been spat on by a guy in a car after shouting GINGER!! so maybe im slightly depressed so i guess it makes sense for me to just complain about the abomination on top of my head? but im gonna do a bit of both, a bit of moaning but parts of me likes my hair, and i just wanted to ask what is peoples problem with ginger hair? why do people have such a problem with it?
oh by the way i apologise if during my analysis of what it is to be ginger i insult anyone of any other hair type, if i do it is NOT my intention ok!

so anyway yeh, i've pretty much had the same colour hair all my life, admitedly when i was younger it was more red and now its more of a sandy red but yet still falls under the category of ginger which i dont mind at all, all through school i got the treatment which any person with my colour hair would get, "ginger minger", "ginger pubes" "carrot top" and the like, have been teased so much that i have coninced myself to actually hate my parents for passing on the bloody genes!, i've previously burnt my scalp from bleaching to get rid of the colour, cut my hair, worn hats, everything and i think its a shame that people can bring other people to do things like that just because they are a minority in something so small and petty as hair colour! i'm not trying to get sympathy or anything, obviously it was my choice to bleach it and everything, but why should i even have to feel like that! along with the many others all over the world? one thing that really once stuck to me was someone said to me "why dont you dye your hair to become a 'normal person of society" pretty rude huh!
personally i think its a great colour, what colour are the roses shown to show love? red! what colour is a gorgeous sunset? red! what underwear is sexy? think of love what u think? a red heart maybe? what colour was supermans cape! and santa claus's costume and the bloody red carpet! ok im going into extremes here, sorry,
and anyway how come the average joe can get insulted yet others respected, movie stars have it, Seth green, Nicole kidman, Fry from futurama, even Henry VIII ha ha

so anyway like i said im not after any sympathy, im happy with my colour, its never interrupted my social life (well not that much) and i can proudly declare i have had a prolific sex life so it hasnt hindered me there either so im happy and at least im not going to you guys "i can't get a girlfriend frown" or anything, i have a great girlfriend who is sympathetic to my cause, apart from the odd insult,
if you shaved my head would u know from just looking at me what lay in my roots? doubt it, so why should it infringe of what kind of mate i could be? how good a poi spinner i could be? etc

so anyway guys, really sorry about such a pointless thread, sorry! just felt like having a good rant, blame that truck driver who spat at me a few hours ago for being ginger

oh last thing, at least the ginger matches the flames on my poi smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think red hair is sexy...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hmmm. I agree.

Of my five best mates I've grown up with since school, 3 of them have red hair of varying shades.

They hated it for years, but they're slowly starting to see that it's great to have naturally red hair. Much more interesting than dull old brown (me) or bimbette blonde.

And for maximum attention... go to somewhere different... in many parts of the world people would be amazed by someone with red hair.

(You can also claim you've got Celtic heritage - which is always a good thing biggrin )

Getting to the other side smile

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Blessing ubbangel

I love my hair, and am lucky to have the sort of personality that means that nasty comments and jibes have mostly just flown right over my head.... However I've never been spat on. I have had two 'proposals' from blokes who thought they'd like to populate the world with ginger kids though, presumably their own personal von Trapp family.... ? umm Oh yeah, and a friend once told me (jokingly) that if she had a ginger baby, she'd drown it...

It's just one of those things, not many people have red hair (i think it's like 1% of the population?) so lets point out how different they are to all the rest of us average joes... happens. Ignore that bit, and just listen to the compliments wink

There was this website actually...... *goes on a wander to find it*
ah-ha! www.redandproud.com it's kind of funny i thought, sort of like propaganda on behalf of redheads.... bunch of people harping on about how it's a form of racism, although i don't see that it really compares on any level to real race hatred.... there's also like a checklist of names that redheads get called, could be interesting to tally up and see how many you've heard. And worth checking through for anyone who might be tempted to mock a ginger nut, 'cause we've heard it all before, might as well come up with something original...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
One of my best friends at school, Helen, had red hair. I was so jealous of her. It was beautiful! When I was a baby I had white blonde curly hair and as I got older it got darker and darker and ended up mousy brown.

Just be aware, not everyone hates ginger hair. Go take a look on the pharmacy shelves and see how many hair dyes there are there for red, auburn, strawberry blonde, whatever you wish to call it. I think you will find there are plenty. Be red and be proud of it. If someone is willing to judge you just on your hair colour....well it says more about them than you...... they are not worthy of your time!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i know a very nice girl with long ginger hair.. ubblove ubblove

but thats another storey

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
OOOoooo Oli tell all! You know you want too.......huh? huh? ...come on.....tell tell tell!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
I love red hair! I just dyed mine with henna this weekend, so it is pretty and red(ish), too! Actually in my family I'm one of the odd ones because most of my cousins have red hair. If I could choose any hair color to have been born with it would have been red. hot stuff!

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

OOOoooo Oli tell all! You know you want too.......huh? huh? ...come on.....tell tell tell!

maybe i allready have... wink

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
damn it lightning, thats what i was going to say!Grr.

yes, red hair is damn sexy

sorry about the cat [censored] Trillian ubblol
peace/fire

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah. My ex, Patrick was sort of a redhead. Definately Irish. (his name started with O') My friend Dell is quite a redhead. And what a beautiful man! Quite straight, of course. Well, actually he's switchy. But he's married (and quite monagamously so). *Le sigh*

But it's true, many of the most beautiful men and women I've met have been carrot-tops.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
soapbox

If someone spat at you and called you ginger chances are that they don't actually have anything again gingerness but that they are a censored (and that's a very nasty word) and you had the unfortunate displeasure of meeting them before they shuffled off the mortal coil. There’s more ranting that could go here but I won’t, it’s just that that kind of behaviour really gets to me.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

dj_retromember
87 posts

Posted:
TOTAL [censored] BLESSING!

I've had red hair forever and can't even being to describe how much it's gotten me. the only reason people give us [censored] about it is because the are jelouse and what not. I know that it has gotten me laid at least once, got me my current g/f and made me a lot of firends. everyone just remembers me b/c of it. ask anyone that has only met me a few times and just say the red haired dude and they know. its great! plus i love girls with red hair, fake or not. its always secksay. plus being called "fire crotch" has not always been a bad thing from what a few girls told me. i also cant tell you how many people have try to get my color the fake way and cant even get close! DAMN I LOVE MY HAIR!

<( ' ' )>
Fear the Kirby

grasshoppahBRONZE Member
HoP is teh suxor.
425 posts

Posted:
As long as your curtains match your carpet.

(im sorry, i had to throw that one in there)

Once in a while you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

rarrBRONZE Member
rrragghh!
121 posts

Posted:
I've got blonde hair but my sideburns and beard (if I grew one that is) is totally ginger.

which I find really odd smile

babajagaBRONZE Member
old hand
863 posts

Posted:
I know the problem in another way.Then I was younger and saw the guys looking at all the cute tiny girls( I imagine they have their problems too), man. I am tall and swimming depending pretty athletic so I was often only the buddy and every so often a stupid person said something stupid. Today it is totally in another way I like my body like it is except I am a woman with the woman like views on myself but nothing serious anymore and nobody would say such things and actually I wouldn't care I think that is the reason they don't do.

It doesn't matter how you look like, red, brown,black, blond, short, tall, fat, thin, there will always be somebody who gives you censored as long as you havn't learned to get along with it and to love your body like it is with all what belongs to it.

There is nothing more sexy than somebody who is good with his body.

hug

What is psychology?- Looking for a black cat in a dark room. What is psychoanalysis? Psychoanalysis is looking for a black cat in a dark room -- in which there is no cat -- but finding one anyway.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i'm a redhead, and i love it!

and we're rare! there's less of us than any other hair colour in the world, and that makes us special in my book biggrin

i was blondish until i was about 4, then it started to turn red. i know what you mean about being slagged off and school and stuff. kids can be extremely cruel towards any kid who's slightly different to the rest. perhaps i was lucky though, 2 of my best friends at school were redheads too.

i'm really sorry you had to run into such an ignoramus this morning, but try not to take it personally. if it wasn't you he felt the need to hurl abuse at, then it would have been the next person he met. the problem is his, not yours.

here's a couple of interesting facts i got on an email a few weeks ago. no idea how true these are, but being a redhead, i'm willing to believe all the goods ones biggrin

-----------------------------------
Redheads are said to be descended from the original tribes of Irish and Scots Picts.

Redheads are said to have inherited their gene from European Neanderthals. The gene is said to still exist because of Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal breeding. It is said to be an older gene than the Cro-Magnon man in Europe's existence.

Common Redhead stereotypes are: firey temper, sexual fire, untrustworthy, being smart and eccentric.

Not to mention other things such as superstitions:
In France Redheaded women are treated with high respect. It is an honour to have a redheaded child in Denmark. On the island of Corsica, if you pass one in the street you spit and turn around. If you pass three red-heads you'll win the state lottery In Poland.

Red hair is overall said to be unlucky yet it's lucky to rub your hand on a redhead's head.

Ancient "Egyptians regarded the colour as so unlucky that they had a ceremony in which they burned red-headed maidens alive to wipe out the tint",- author Claudie De Lys.

Ancient Greeks died their hair red to show courage.

Women were called witches because of their redhair and then burned at the stake.

Also You're said to be unlucky as a Redhead because of red pigment is an inadequate filter of sunlight and their skin is more susceptible to sunburn, skin cancer and wrinkling with age.

Not all redheads are of Celtic ( Irish/Scot ) descent. Redhair often shows up in the mediteranean, but probably because of ancient Celtic influence. Even Three-thousand year old Redheads were found mumified in Chinese desert of Takla Makan. Other places where redhair is found: Egypt, Nigeria, Hungary, and Isreal. The Ancient Lost City of Atlantis was said to have a domaniance of redheads.

Genetically Redhair is a recessive trait. Which means it can hide in genes and pop up several generations later. Two Redheads would most likely have a Redhaired child(RR). To have a Redheaded child both parents must carry the red hair gene. The Red hair pigment is called pheomelanin. The gene is melanocortin 1 receptor.

Being redhead is more than just hair color. Redheads often have very pale skin--almost see through albino-like pink/white skin, puffy eyelids, freckles, light eyes ... although, those may vary, such as darker skin and eyes.

Studies have shown that Redheads are harder to knock out and need 20% more anesthesia in the operating room. It's said to e linked to the genes.

"Russia" translates to "Land of Reds" which is in honor of the redheaded Viking Rurik.

There's only between 2 and 4 percent population of redheads on earth, however the gene is often carried but not often shown. Percentages on countires are as follows: Scotland 13%/Ireland 10% /US-2 to 4%/France 0.03%. One estimated data shows that in factuality there's only 1% Redheads in the world.

Aging Redheads don't turn grey. First the hair turns a blondish color then white.
----------------------------------------

hmmmm.... i've just re-read that email and now i'm wondering at the bit about corsica umm

take care hug

Lisa peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
My God Lisa,

Thats alot if hair related trivia.

I've always liked red heads. Even Blondes and Brunettes that tend toward the red side.

What i want to know is who decided it start calling it red hair?

ITS NOT RED!!!!!!

Love is the law.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
ubblol

yeh, i dunno.... but i am the queen of useless trivia biggrin

in holland people who have blonde hair are called "witte kop" which means white head.

and why is extra rare steak called "blue steak"? umm

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
yeh i was actually wondering about the blue steak thing only 2 days ago, can someone please tell me why it is called blue steak come on faberge, queen of trivia, let us know

anyway back to the subject of thread, guys dont think i was doing this god im ginger, someone help me pity pity pity or anything lol

i just felt like having a rant, but it was very encouraging seeing all your responses so suddenly so thanks smile, like i said i dont mind my ginger hair too much, but seeing all your comments has made me like it more so thanks, and your right guys we are special, oh queens of the stone age 'no one knows' has just come on mtv2 and the main singer is ginger, what a coincedence, so at least i know maybe i could become a rock star?? anyway back to point, we are rare, what you say 1-2% of the worlds population? i think thats pretty cool, i knew it was low but didnt know it was that low, but i guess i can easily walk down a street on a saturday for a few hours and not see another flame head around so i guess its probably right, oh i got one that wasnt on that list, someone said i looked like garfield when i had some facial hair, i quite liked that one actually, garfield rocks!

so russia means land of reds, i love russia, sexiest accent

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: PyroWill

yeh i was actually wondering about the blue steak thing only 2 days ago, can someone please tell me why it is called blue steak come on faberge, queen of trivia, let us know

ehhh.... i'm a veggie so i wouldn't know. you'll have to ask one of the carnivores.... ubbrollsmile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Because its minced and mixed with blue cheese....

Love is the law.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
nah, that's not the way it's done.

you use regular steak, preferably fillet. it's cooked a little rarer than rare steak. it only gets a flash in the pan on a really high heat. but why it's called "blue" i've no idea.....

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
is that true? if so have a prize beerchug

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
is what true? the blue cheese bit or the flash in the pan bit?

take it from me, the flash in the pan bit is true, aidan has no idea what he's talking about wink

do i get the prize? biggrin

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
the blue cheese bit, sorry your post wasnt up when i pushed reply to his, dont worry you can get a prize aswell, erm, how about a strand of purest ginger hair, will grant u luck, or you can have a fiver

the*pomBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
i'm strawberry blonde i've been told and there is definetly red in the beard. i've been told it's a good thing, so thumbs up to the red haired ones in this world. so much more exciting!

the*pom smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i was just trying to be funny......

i am but a flash in the pan myself.

lisa is a vegetarian hippy and should stick to talking about tofu and lentils...

what does any of this have to do with red hair..

well, let me tell you,

the real reason raw steak is called blue that it used to be eaten by the aristocrasy or 'blue bloods' way back when.

the real reason that red hair exists in the first place is because there was a 'snobby' breed of stoneage man that only ate steak. because they hadnt yet discovered fire they were unable to cook and the resulting amount of red blood cells ingested caused the color of their to change.

The blue bloods are direct decendants of these pre fire savages and are known for there high percentage of red haired men and maidens.

Lisa's taste for vegtables probably stems from some wicked afair one of the cave people had with with a wandering tribe of leaf eating hippies.

Love is the law.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Aidan, you're a total freak with far too much time on your hands ubblol

Go and design some offices or sumthing

biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: PyroWill

oh queens of the stone age 'no one knows' has just come on mtv2 and the main singer is ginger, what a coincedence, so at least i know maybe i could become a rock star??

firstly i'd like to say, mmm... josh homme... ubblove

then i'd like to post the link to that list of names from the website, because some of them are just really fecking funny...
https://www.redandproud.com/Red%20Herring%20-%20Red%20Taunts.htm

and then i'd like to point out to ado-p that i am also a vegetarian redheaded hippy so there must be a fair amount of shagging going on between the blue bloods and that passing tribe of leaf eating hippies in order to create more than one ubblol

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
what can i say NOn 'free love' ...

everyone knows how the aristos used to like a bit of frivolity with their steak and cucumber sandwhichs.

incidently, the reason they are called blue bloods comes from the extensive body painting that went on following the discovery of woad. Most blue bloods dont know this of course. the thought that they might be somehow related to the blue skinned picts of the northern wilds would be anathema to them

Love is the law.

Page: