Page:
little nickBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
can anyone please tell me a good way of learning the 7 beat weave. I can do the 5 beat weave forwards real good and have just figuered out the 5 beat reverse but i am unable to work out the basics of the 7 beat.
can anyone please help me???

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
An 11bt with no wraps, wow, what do you have to do, remove all the bones from your arms and start spinning? Hehe that would make for funny hyperloops smile But I'm seriously you guys, is there a vid of a real 9 or 11 bt anywhere I love to see one.....
EDITED_BY: Mot (1094746220)

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

little nickBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
rock on, nice one rev. i'd love to see that show sometime!! clap

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hrm.... so all I have to do is break the bone between my elbows and wrists and between my elbows and shoulders and I should be able to pull of a 15 beat weave.

Sweet!

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yeah?

Well, my granny can do a 94 beat weave!

*Sticks tongue and chest out*

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
And, as I found out last night, so can your mom.

confused

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
confused

riiiiiiiiiiiight.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Quite amazingly, this thread is [Old link]

smile

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Apologies to UCOF and others, but I disagree with the 7 beat weave being a pointless move.

I suppose it depends how you look at it. But I’d consider achieving 7 beat weave as part of the progression to better technique. If you can achieve the flexibility to do a clean 7 beat weave, then you have probably been spinning for a while and have great 5 and 3 beat weaves.

That doesn’t mean you need to go out and only do the 7 beat weaves. To me, it’s more of an “exercise”, and I consider most of the moves we talk about at HOP “exercises”. Like, learning isolations or air wraps or btb weaves are just exercises that once mastered give us the freedom to do what we want with poi.

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Nice way of looking at it Stone smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I disagree. The 7 beat is pointless.

But not more or less pointless than any other poi move. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I'd just like to stress that the manner in which I get from 9 to 11 cvan be done at -any- weave level..

ie. I can do it on a 3 to get 5 5 -> 7 and so forth.. because its rotating fixed points..

like one of the things is that the arc of top to bottom is forward spin (because it starts top point one side and ends the bottom point other side when it crosses over.. ) and so I put my forward beat count when the poi reach the top of the circle.. so in order to raise a beat count.. you only need to get 180 degrees more rotation so to speak..

ex. the 5bt weave would cross from right to left when the left poi reaches the top of the circle.. where as the 7bt crosses from right to left 180 degrees later when the right gets to the top..

you can plant your feetand twist your torso (or for those that have piss poor balance you just rotate the torso with feet not plantes) so that you get the extra 180 degrees.. so you end up kinda locking the 5bt for instance,and then rotating those locked points 180 and then untwisting 180 before you unlock your hands and then untwist them..

I wills ay to a degree its harder to do this will loswer beats ebcause of how fast you have to twist.. adding it to the 9bt weave is kinda easier because the timing falls more natural..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

FaerieWithoutWingsmember
9 posts

Posted:
PK is the guy that Andy copies, if that helps!

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
7 beat weaves are pointy! Just look at all those elbows sticking out all over the place!
I guess most people don't like them because they only know the elbow crossing 'jedi louise' method which is hard to get into a routine nicely, hard to learn and hard on the joints, and isn't a weave in the same way a 3 or a 5 is.

7 beats are nice and look lovely when you can do them without all that elbow over elbow flailing stuff and can keep the insides of your wrists together. I only use the jedi-louise technque to get into offset 3s or 5s these days, or for 6 bt windmills (or 8bt corkscrew), and while i can do an elbow over elbow 9, it looks odd, and i can't get an 11 to work like that without the strings tangling for an unknown number of beats so you end up doing the 'ballsed-up-hyperloop-flick' to get them going properly again...

nice 7s come from looking at where the poi go when you do a thru-wrap on the end of a 5 bt, and then moving your arms out of the way so the wrap dosn't happen, and there are two ways to do them on each side, depending on whether you turn your shoulders before or after the transition. You can do wall plane ones with no shoulder turn by doing it one way in front, and the other behind. If you try to do both ways on both sides, and get the timing right, you end up with a 9, no wraps on anything, but it's tricky because you can't ever actually see your hands during the transition due to having to tuck both hands under your armpit and then turn away from them...
It's even possible to do a 3bt with just the last 3 beats of the 9, but i've never seen it, due to it happening behind me, and i'm kind of going on what it feels like rather than any actual counting.

--ben

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I want to eventually do a 7 beat weave, but there are so many other poi moves more worthy of my practice time. It's really a variation on the same thing.
I'm sure you could say that about other poi moves and their associated variations as well however.
I think for the most part 5 beats is enough. However, if you've got all the time in the world to spare, go ahead ans learn 7, 9 etc etc.

Geez, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

SterlingspiderBRONZE Member
Senator by day, Sith Lord by night.
128 posts

Posted:
Slightly different view on it:

I have so very many other things to poke at before I even think of the 7 beat, however I REALLY dig being able to do the 5 beat from an aesthetic point of view, and not the usual skill test point of view as it's definately one of those "level up" sorts of moves (sorta like the first time you nailed the 3 beat lo these many moons ago, you really feel like you did SOMTHING the first time you nailed the 5 beat).

But I digress... what I was saying, the 5 beat just has a sexy look to it. It slows things down just a touch, has a nice full rotation on each side which always reminds me of staring at a bicycle wheel spinning, and if you are sinuous enough you can make it look more like some slinky bellydancing arm movement then a way to get the poi to move in a specific path. Also due to the timing of it you have slightly more emphesized hip and shoulder movements which can work out nice if you have a nice dancy sort of feel to your spinning.

It has just enough tangle to be sexy without looking akward.

"If the human brain were simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it"
-Emerson M Pugh

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Actually knowing the 5 beat weave is very useful in a lot of situations even when you never actually use it. It gives you a lot of extra "room" to get out of situations where your poi would tangle if you could only do a 3 beat weave.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ditto

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Totally unrelated.
Why is dito only spelt with one t?

Geez, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Somebody obviously can't spel wink

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Page: