Page:
little nickBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
can anyone please tell me a good way of learning the 7 beat weave. I can do the 5 beat weave forwards real good and have just figuered out the 5 beat reverse but i am unable to work out the basics of the 7 beat.
can anyone please help me???

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
ok, my first hint for you is to use the search button before everyone yells at you to do so... wink

but really, except for those up us that are really bendy, the 7 beat involves wrapping your chains around each other or your hand or some other such convenient object that happens to be in the way.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

little nickBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
wraping the chains together like a mini air wrap? and then whipping it across the front of your body?
am i on the right lines?

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
yeah, basically that is it. personally I use a wrap over my crossed hand as it gives me more control/torque on the system, but that is a bit of a cheat to a purist. It helps me keep the poi even split though - I have a really hard time keeping them from bunching together during the transition t the other side if I just use the chains.

you can't really do a 9 beat with the hand wrap though, as it gets too short to be asthetically pleasing. I can't really do a clean 9 beat though, and don't really see much point in it anyway as it doesn't fit my style of spinnng - heck, even the 7 beat I use pretty rarely when really having a go with the spinning and only in singles.

-v-

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Ive been spinning almost 3 years now and the 7 beat weave, is the most pointless move, bar Dom's 8 beat parrallel weave.

Its not about how many beats you can do, i rarely even do a 5 beat anymore.
Instead think about the transitions between "moves".

This is just my personal opinion.

I had a look on the search for you, but no results came up.

Hopefully people will post in this thread about how to do it..

mumble mumble try wrapping the string on the opposite hand when you are on the left or right side mumble mumble

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
i would have to agree with Urology. only people that poi will notice that you did a 5 or 7 beat.....

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

little nickBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
surely though, there are some moves or future moves that could be linked together with some parts of the 7 beat tho. what is dom's eight beat parallel weave, it sounds interesting. is it like a corkskrew??

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Gotta agree with UCOF - you are better off spending your time learning other things. I got around to learning the 7 beat after like 3 years of spinning and in the last year and a half have found little use for it except as a manual excersize during practicing - like doing scales when you are playing the piano. learning how to wrap and unwrap your chains in an orderly fashion is a valuable skill to have in the long run, and the 7 beat can give you practice in one form of it, but there are so many things that are much more important for you to master first that will open many more spinning doors for you than a 7 beat weave will.

-v-

little nickBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
oh ok, what would be a better thing for me to learn so that i can improve further?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Jedi Mind Tricks.

smile

and how to shoot fireballs from your fingertips.

*there is nothing that (i think) can be linked through a 7beat. your hands will be so tangled that you wouldnt be able to untangle them into something else smoothly. You can use a 3 or a 5 beat for anything*

*Doms 8 beat parrallel weave is a normal weave, with 8 beats, and the poi stay parrallel to each other*

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
oh UCOF, quit screwing with the poor newbie!!! rolleyes

anyway, not knowing what moves you already know, that is hard to say....

-v-

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Watch videos.

Watch other people.

Ask them to teach you stuff.

Then make tea for them........
biggrin

That always goes down well in London.

little nickBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
are there any really good videos that i could get or download that are really good?
is that one or two sugars??

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

That is the video message board. I would recommend downloading everything

Some are better than others, the Te Pooka ones are a particular favourite of mine. Sick ass stuff, great soundtracks, and slick editing.

2 sugars please wink

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I like a good 5 beat. It allows more time to turn when done well and allows for a bit more body English when doing fountains and such.

PK in a 5 beat looks cooler than PK in a 3. But that's just me. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

body English

confused

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah... I was thinking that when I wrote it... it's probably an Americanism. [Off to look it up before I write more.]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Cool. I'm right. smile

'english'=
-The spin given to a propelled ball by striking it on one side or releasing it with a sharp twist.
-Bodily movement in an effort to influence the movement of a propelled object; body English.

Sweet, that's exactly what I meant.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
aka Anti spin?

little nickBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
what do you mean by 'pk' in a five or three beat weave???

BūzraelBRONZE Member
45 posts

Posted:
Im no expert, and recently ive been in debate over the 7beat with a friend of mine (over counting beats)... but the way I do it is just twist my entire arms, as opposed to just the wrist. with the 5 beat, you sort put one wrist over the other and bring the poi over like that, with the 7 beat, put one elbow on top of the other and that should add the xtra loop.

check https://www.motsplace.com

the other thing I was going to say has been said already, the 7bt is pretty useless. I find the 5bt weave skill is useful because it sometimes helps me in transitions, turning and in doing vertical weaves. the 7bt is like.. pulling both your feet behind your head, its cool and people go eek but apart from that there isnt much use to it. plus- as hard as it is, most people who dont spin are more impressed by a fountain than that extra beat in the weave.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
here is Mots 7 beat weave lesson with animation/video thingie

Hope that helps

[edit] oops got beaten to it! ubblol
EDITED_BY: Skulduggery (1094671852)

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
For the 7 beat all you have to do is lock your elbows then wrists just like you lock only your wrists for the 5 beat. I agree with everyone else though, 7 beat is kinda useless. Only time I do it is to prove to others that I can smile

Newbie: "Man, you can do the 5 beat forwards and backwards!?"
Me: "Yeah, I can do it behind the back too."
Newbie: "Wow. Some guy I saw once did a 7 beat weave and it was crazy."
Me: "You mean... THIS!? Muhahahaha!"
Newbie: eek

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Written by: little nick

what do you mean by 'pk' in a five or three beat weave???

PK is a spinner.

Who is veryvery good.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
11 bt is now possible. I seen it with my own computer eek though it made the "jedilouise" damn pretty.

And no wraps either, because wraps dont count. Though i wish they did. frown
EDITED_BY: Dragon7 (1094682996)

little nickBRONZE Member
23 posts

Posted:
wow 11 beat where can i get a load of that!!!

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Dont know if you can, i got sent the clip via ftp but im not allowed to host it cause i dont know what the guy who shot it is going to do with the fottage, + he'll post it sometime maybe, if so ill pm you.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
actually I only posted it one place... and it was done proper or perfect.. just enough to make the point..

I'd say dont' bother with it.. but.. I like it.. just because when you open up the seperation (the part between untwisting and twisting on a given side) into like a giant circle and then close it back down into the body twist.. it feels like time just slows.. like hitting the slowmo button on the remote.. crazy... which has gotten other ppl addicted as well..

BUT with that in mind.. I still testify that its not worht having.. you'll never see me spin it unless I'm trying to teach someone and even then you probably won't see me do the whole thing.. I only ventured out to begin with to see what fits in the maxmimum twist category.. academic purposes.. setting limits and what not.. its not beautiful.. or anything..

I do have to disagree with some points though.. because if I didnt disagree.. I wouldnt be Rev.. I agree that 5 is the perfect beat count.. however if you are going to spin 3bts.. then you might as well spin 7's... the 7 bt gives and extra twist after closing a seperation... and when you get comfortable with it, it will flow better in that respect then 5.. It's mainly a matter of the movemmetn complimenting various ther body movements turns, and transitions REALLY well.. most people dont like it because well elbow over elbow does suck and look kinda goofy..

if you can do 7... then you can do 9... the trick is that with 7 you go elbow over elbow, well with 9, you take the hand of whichever elbow is on top and twist it bakc down the arm.. because basically the 7bt is as far out as you can twist (think of body going to hands).. from therethe hand on top has to twist back down so that which ever elbow is on bottom is the hand that is pointing up..

7 and 9 are good for offsets... I like to use different beat counts on different sides when I spin.. probably comes a lot from doing tangly things.. but 7 and 9 help in that respect.. imo.. because otherwise your options are 1-5 and then interplay combinations thereof rather then 1-9 which opens a bit more doors.. but as far as just a 9 bt weave.. not a necessity..

like speed, dont' ever let ppl tell you beats = skill.. its not... its just a wayof opening up different variations (outside of it) as well as fleshing out concepts (like what makes a weave.. where do beats begin on a weave.. where do they end.. what's the maximum twist given certain restrictions.. etc.. ) academic nothing more..

edit: oh yeah and for the record.. the 11btmentioned.. involves rotating fixed points by 180 degrees.. in the clip dragon speaks of I turn my body (feet in cluded) whihc has led some to specualte that it isnt really a twist.. I counter that by saying ti can be done feet planted... its just harder to keep balance that way..

when I say fixed point rotation I want you to think of a giant weave.. ie giant 3bt weave.. giant (long arm) weaves use a rotation of the shoudler sockets (fixed points) ot line up the planes so that you cna get 3bts per side.. basically you spin you 360 degrees and then rotate the shoudlers 180 to get that last non-repeting motion... should you spin 360 more rather then 180more then you repeat becauseyou are right back where you started pre extra 'body twist'.. now..

now using the fact that you cna rotate points as such, you can then use fixed point rotation on other fixed point moves.. reels, crossers, etc.. and one over looked category.. weaves.. see once you twist a weave as far as you can.. whether it be 3,5,7,9 beats.. you can then use the 180 degree rotation to get that last beat.. the trick is to keep the points fixed while you untwist 180 on the other side.. its almost like taking the poi over shoulder..

the best way I can explain is to use the example of a forward 9 bt.. which normally leads with the left hand from right side to left.. but if you do it more wallplanes and lean forward into it.. your hands will be twisted up to your neck for all intents and purposes (from the 9) and the left can kinda go over the neck as you twist your torso.. so that instead of left leading to the left side, it does and extra beat while the right leads.. higher beat weaves are sometimes easier to leanr by half wrapping (thruwrapping ) on the wrist.. this one would do that on the neck...

oi.. anyway.. I'd be here all day running through the technicalities of hwo and why it is and works.. but ultimately falls into one question.. do you believe in a 3bt giant weave.. if yes..then 11bt no wrap is top.. if not.. then 9 is top.. whatever floats your boat.. I'm not going to argue objectivity here.. its all relational..
EDITED_BY: Rev (1094687465)

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
OMG Rev actually has a post that has no crazy diagrams and i can understand it. eek

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
whoah!! write it down folks, rev is fighting his borg side, and is winning!!

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Erm, you could understand that?

Sorry, Im a visual learner.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Page: