Page:
BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Hellooo,

I've already done a search on this and got lots of conflicting definitions (as im sure will happen on this thread) so i was wondering if anyone could explain in nice, simple terms what the poi matrix is? smile

I saw someone (BamBam maybe?) doing it at Clapham this weekend and was amazed. I love the staff matrix, i cant do it but it's a lovely move, and the poi matrix looks just as good.

Oh and i cant download videos but i learn really well from descriptions biggrin

Ta muchly! peace

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Thought you might like to see this poi matrix thingy i made a while ago...

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
short vid wink

for an even bette desciption of this move chk out the new PLAY dvd (coming imminently) has a huge workshop section and this move is taught by the lovelly fluff biggrin

got some geat angles too wink ubblove

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

sp1ke333SILVER Member
24 posts

Posted:
this looks like the only thread about Poi Matrix...i wonder why...it's a so cool move and pretty much difficult to manage imho!

recently i got the 4bt corkscrew so i'm trying to learn the matrix. I'm quite worried about the "spine thing"...is it really dangerous for my back? I have to admit I found more difficult than i thought leaning "neo-style"!

has anyone posted another video about this move?

Thanks!

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
honestly the lean part just comes with practice. A large part of it is balance, the rest is muscle. There's several different ways people will tell you to learn to lean that far back. A lot of people say to put one leg back for better balance and such... I say Phooey on that, just learn to bend back. I just kept working on bending backwards doing buzzsaw and drilling the matrix over and over till I built the muscles and control to do it. I stand with my feet a little more than shoulder width apart and bend my knees a bit and go right back horizontal. A lot of the bend is in the lower back, the rest is in the knees.

a good exercise to try is to kneel down and slowly start leaning back bending back as you go. Try and keep your stomach/hips up and get the top of your head to touch the ground. Then come back up slowly. This will NOT be easy at first. Do what you can then try again later or tomorrow etc. This helps to build the leg muscles and abs you'll need to hold yourself in place. Oncee you can do that, do it with poi in buzzsaw, get the top of your head on the ground and bring the buzsaw up and over till its almost touching the ground as well, then sit back up. Then stand up and try to bend as far as you can in the same manner, obviously your head won't reach he ground if you are standing ;-).

For the matrix, you are literally doing a 5bt windmill into a long arm windmill and back again, only you are doing it horizontally so its a corkscrew into longarm. but except for your orientation, the move is much the same. Good luck, its a cool move to do, gets a reaction from a crowd usually. Once you can do the matrix try throwing in extra beats like you are doing a wall plane flower while leaned back.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

sp1ke333SILVER Member
24 posts

Posted:
thx mate....i practiced a lot yesterday and my abs hurts! which is positive i guess

any advice regarding my spine?

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
yeah, be careful! Usually at first its a good idea to practice the bend next to some kind of banister or something you can grab onto to pull yourself up or stop yourself from falling. Also if it starts to hurt to bend, STOP, don't exceed what your body is ready to do. And finally, stretch! Just like any other exercise you need to stretch first, rotate arms, side bends, hip flexes etc, but get your body ready before you just throw yourself backwards!!! Just keep practicing and increasing in increments and you'll get there!

*side note* keep the practice going even once you've learned to do it, I haven't done a full back bend like that in months and went to try it again yesterday and man it was harder than it used to be. I'd gotten out of practice and need to restretch my muscles and get back into it

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

sp1ke333SILVER Member
24 posts

Posted:
it's kinda hard move...anyway i noticed on "blackandblufull" video (about min 5) that he leans right first and then on the left. As much as i know from my trainings it should be possibile to extend your arms even if u just lean backwards (neither on the right nor on the left i mean).....right? Otherwise i'm probably doing something wrong

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
contact thaitom or gomerajosh.......one of them should have a video of maiuki and me doing the poi matrix back to back at the beach of la gomera.....
any questions?

p.s.: and dont mix up atomics with matrix wink

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

sp1ke333SILVER Member
24 posts

Posted:
I could mix "atoms" with matrix only if my planes are not clean...which is likely since i've been poing for only 4 months

if u have this video upload it pls! Or otherwise just contact me with a PM

Thanks a lot

Page: