Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Passing the Poi into onehanded out of any move.
Passing the Poi from onehanded into any move.

Throwing Poi into onehanded.
Throwing Poi from onehanded into onehanded.
Throwing Poi from onehanded into normal.

Who said Poi is boring ?

peace

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
not me smile

i would point you to one wheel dave's lovely poi video with this stuff in it but it seems www.firedance.co.uk has expired frown

it will be back soon i'm sure ubbrollsmile

now squeeze catches with poi would look crazy... ubblol

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
all i can do is pass the poi to onehanded butterfly, couple of flips over the head, and pass back again to regular butterfly.

i've seen a girl i know do a really neat little trick where she goes from forward butterfly, releases both poi and catches them with the opposite hands, and you're straight into reverse butterfly.

all i can manage at the moment though is the release, and then the familiar sound of stuff breaking on opposite sides of the room..... ubbloco

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
At Falmouth II Durbs was doing stuff like this. He would do a corkscrew and let the poi tangle at the bottom, then throw them in the air and catch them in one hand and go into a onehanded BF, or a onehanded weavey thing. Not explained very well, im sure Durbs will be in here at some point and give a better explanation smile

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Daves video has a few "multiplex" elements but the whole field offers so much more.

Anyone playing with these ?

Btw I forgot:
Passing onehanded-moves from one hand to the other:
Butterfly is quite easy and the weave is a challenge but a very nice trick (staff-like passing)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I'm just now finishing up most of the passes, but I'm afraid you got me one the throws.. I can throw out of them, but since I'm not very good with my throws (because my isolations have gone to $h!t), I don't expect to progress much in that department..

I've also been thinking about picking up staff, just to try and pick up on some of this more.. I'm sure it helps, but I figure, staff's don't give like poi do.. and I have a bad allergy to pain, makes break out in hives.. usually bigs ones, where I get hurt..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

i would point you to one wheel dave's lovely poi video with this stuff in it but it seems www.firedance.co.uk has expired frown

They've been down some time, but I've recently uploaded some small files (I posted a thread in the 'video' section with the links).

Two which are relevant to this thread are: -

1. augmented 5-beat, small (500 Kb) clip of a smooth 5-beat move that involves going in and out of 2 poi in one hand.
https://www.jugglethis.net/files/videos/aug_5_beat.wmv

Written by: Fabergé

i've seen a girl i know do a really neat little trick where she goes from forward butterfly, releases both poi and catches them with the opposite hands, and you're straight into reverse butterfly.

all i can manage at the moment though is the release, and then the familiar sound of stuff breaking on opposite sides of the room..... ubbloco

2. albatross, a very small clip (290 Kb) of a complex move based on reverse butterfly, with simultaeneous release of both poi, which are then caught in a forward butterfly, which is then reversed using one beat of a 2 poi in one hand butterfly, and then repeated from the start.
https://www.jugglethis.net/files/videos/albatross.wmv

I suspect that this is a continuous version of what the girl mentioned above is doing, although I start from reverse butterfly, having found that, for me, it's a lot easier than a double release from forward butterfly.

In terms of terminology, my preference is to use 'release' rather than 'throw' to describe what I do, as I think it conveys the action involved much better.

Prior to the release, the sideways motion component of the pois energy has to be basically reduced to zero to prevent the effect Fabergé mentions (ie the poi flying off to the sides).

This is done with a small 'pull/dampening action' and this is a matter of sensitivity which only really comes with repeating/practicing over and over again.

Perhaps more than in any other style of poi move, I find myself using 'training drills' to work on these; by which I mean small continuous 'looped' combinations that are done with relativly static body.

With relatively little energy expenditure, these drills can be repeated 1000's of times till the moves become really polished (with part of the aim, of course, being that the release/catch/one hand combos/moves, can then be inserted consistently into your 'style' or 'dance').

The 'albatross' clip posted above is one such drill- the last move brings you back to the start of the cycle, so it can be repeated (looped) over, and over. As there's a lot going on in it, including butterfly reversals, one hand butterfly, simultaneous releases etc- you find that getting consistent with the full sequence will make any particular individual move from the sequence very reliable.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
here we go . . . what about a BHB Albatross?!? "Should" be possible smile

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if I agree there.. just in the fact of how wide and high dave's hands usually are for the catch... which I guess doesnt mean its |not| possible... but I don't see it.. whihc is weird.. because I'm usually one of those experimental spinners..

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
a BTB albatross is going to have several difficulties involving flexibility and making the pattern lower and wider; however, surely these would pale into insignificance compared to the fact that you're going to have to release two poi behind your back, and then catch them blind!

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
[Old link] . . . - Although a bhb albatross was more of a joke than a challenge (but imo give em 5 years and you gonna see it)
And thank you very much OWD for your post - would love to meet up with you some time - what about this summer, should be back in europe by then. (EJC?!?)

Imho multiplex or however you want to call it is a beautiful area which has so much potential that I dont even know where to start writing about it confused
And before directly going into multiplex I can only recommend to get those down really well:
a.) Passing
b.) Onehanded
c.) Throwing
thats all weavesmiley

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
came up with a nice little multiplex idea this morning, inspired by this thread smile

from double same-direction pendulum stalls infront of the body...
stalling the poi almost horizontally...
release one poi at the stalling point, letting it seem to slide down the other arm into the hand...
pendulum both poi together and release (holding the poi in the hand in such a way that they separate on release.)
then catch. wink

Lx

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

burncatmember
30 posts

Posted:
i have just started experementing with some kind of multiplex. this thred has certenly given me some new ideas!

at the moment i am trying too do a onehanded (lefthand) butterfly, throw one poi and catch it back into the onehand butterfly.
i allready do this in the rigthhand, while doing the lefthand butterfly. in some years i migth be a 4 poi juggler, who knows?

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
hey... this might have been discussed.. but Ive just started playing with it..

one handed buzzsaws..

its involves good control of passing since you pretty much have to keep passing the poi every 180 degrees.. nifty way of working on both onehanded control and passing IMHO..