Forums > Other Toys > make me a Happy camper

Login/Join to Participate

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
I recently made a fire staff out of a 1.20m metal pole with tennis crip but at the moment the only wick i have is the old ones of my fire diabolo. it only raps around twice, how much should it have Ideally. I'II be a happy camper if i can find out. biggrin

By the way sorry if you though this thread was about a distressed camper tongue

fire leads to creation

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
with mine i rap it about three to four times but i have big wicks

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I think it might depend on the thickness of your staff. My staff is about an inch in diameter, and I've got 1/8 inch wicking wrapped around it 4 times.

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
Its around 3/4 of an inch thick (small hands). How long do you recon 50cm?

fire leads to creation

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Mine are 4x1/8 and are roughly 2 and a half feet long on each end and my staff is 1.5 meters long.. Its a good size and suits the way i spin. or maybe the way i spin came from the staff/wicks i choose. Chicken and egg there.

It took me ages to decide how much to use and it really came from trying different things out. I like the weight and the momentum of what i have now.

there is sooooo much info on the boards here that helped me out.

best o luck

a

Love is the law.

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
for my staff...its a dowel rod...dunon how thick it is..but i just ransacked my 4 inch tube core poi...(tube core=evil for poi...they suck)...and just put the wicking onto the staff...so yeas...i get close to 8 minute burns out it

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
when you say 4 inch do you mean 4 inch thick or long or wot?

fire leads to creation

Ryan_dup1newbie
4 posts

Posted:
4 inch being the thickness of the wicking, like how wide it is. At least that's what I'd assume. My staff has 3 inch thick wicking on the ends, but I have it wrapped about 3 or 4 times. Only having wrap around two times won't burn as long because it won't hold as much fuel.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yep, mine are 100mm or 4 inches wide..... they wrap around my staff about five times each end. i think, maye four.

Anyway, the wicks are falling off after about a month, considering i paid 15 euro a meter for the stuff im a little pissed.

*sits back and waits for new HOP wick to arrive*

I got 8 feet on the way, making double staffs. Yum

Love is the law.

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
Ive just got my new wick through (had to go to the post office, what is happening to royal mail!!!) any way now im faced with finding the best way of fixing it to the metal pole.

I was thinking of counter sinking nuts and bolts but how r you ment to get a blunt nut through the kevlar?!

All i want is to twirl alil fire before bed time : (

fire leads to creation

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
why are you trying to get a nut through the kevlar? You can gently spread the kevlar apart to get the bolt through - kinda in between the weave of it. Can't you just attach the nut from the inside of the metal staff? Mine is wooden, so the screws are just drilled right into the wooden center - no problem. Mine aren't countersunk either, and I've never had a problem with them. The ends of the kevlar are tucked under though so as to prevent fraying as much as possible. I've got 4 inch wide kevlar on mine, with 2 screws on each chunk.

hope that helps some.

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
I poke a big awl through the kevlar to spread the weave open ...

I AM working.

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
i just dot seem to be able to spread the weave enough. perseverence will out tho.

fire leads to creation

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
Does anyone have any idea how to make a sparkly diabolo? you would need sum kinda gage over the end right?

fire leads to creation

JakBJCmember
117 posts

Posted:
what do you mean by sparkly? as in sparkelers effect or glitter?

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
AS in using wire wool to have hot molten steel flying off devil

fire leads to creation

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
There are hundreds of posts on this topic. Run a search and you will find out all you wish to know on the topic!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
I have search to the best of my ablity (which is not all that limited and im pretty sure theres none on how to attach wire wool to a fire diabolo. poi yes plenty (if not to much) but not diabolo rolleyes

fire leads to creation

JakBJCmember
117 posts

Posted:
It would depend quite a bit on the design of your diablo. if the wick is exposed (like on a nesbit) then you could prob weave the wool into the folded wick but if the diablo has holes in it to keep weight down it could be weaved through the holes.

It is likely to need to be attatched to the diablo by the same mechanism as the wick.

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
Going through the holes sounds like a nice idea. The wick could still burn normaly that way as the wool melts. Thanks 6ho5t

fire leads to creation

JakBJCmember
117 posts

Posted:
No probs