bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
stolen idea for thread drom other thread entitled 'signature moves' or some such... and was gently ribbed(in passing) by none other than the great bender...; so i thought i'd open up the forum to anyone who catches a staff or two already in some contact move, or, put more simply, anywhere that isn't the palm of your hand...; here's a few to get you going...:

fishtail catches;
fishtail, throw, catch back in fishtail. (been practising and now nearly solid on fishtailthrowpirouettecatchinfishtail)

horizontal catch into steve;
horizontal throw(in my case i prefer right hand throw here, spinning anti-c, and passing accross/above the body to the left hand)catch the staff on the outside of your hand so as to start the steve...

elbow to elbow throws...;
think i described these in my contact thread a while ago, they involve trapping the staff on the inside of an elbow, then releasing it by straightening your arm. this can throw the staff either to the opposite elbow or come back to the same one.

the kelvin variation
outside of elbow to outside of elbow.....(hint, try out of a steve)

there you go. i've a few more, but also a lovely lady trying to tempt me back to bed ubblove.

absolutley certain there must be a load of other folk with their own contact catches i want to see....

incidentally i have stuck to horizontal stuff here apart from the fishtail things. this is cause mostly horizontal stuff is easier to do first off(imo), but with practise some of the vertical stuff looks absolutely shithot. work at it(like i haven't...)

[Old link] , there's also a nice foot catch in there to be played with. if you are looking on that thread be aware that there're moves posted on pages 1 2 and 3 not just in the first big lump.

enjoy
R biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
i guess this is a sort of a variation and an obvious one of the horizontal catch into steve. you described the one from hand to the other. and you can do it keeping the staff in one hand for a few throws and catches and then to the other for excample.

one that people were talking about on the throws for single and double staff - thread was the one where you catch and throw back up again.a vertical throw with your wrist.

and i've been doing the BTB stoppers seen on Soy on everything part II (video) with cathing the staff on the back of my hand and changing it's direction from there.

Point your toes.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Running out the inter-door but I like neck catches straight into shoulder roll and few inside of elbow catches. Can't add to that but those fishtail throw pirouette are darkside Rob. eek

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Yup, like neck catches, good pain...

I'm quite into an alternating hands fishtail pattern - let the staff do half a rotation on the back of one wrist, then flick it up and catch it on the other wrist, and it does half a rotation, and then back again. You can do it so that you catch the stick on the same side as your arm then throw it when your hand has crossed your body, or you can catch across the body and pull it back to the same side. Has a nice rhythm to it smile

monkeys ate my brain

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I wanna get stacy singers excellent entry to her 'monster rolls' (about 30 degrees off horizontal; wraps) she chucks it and it lands on the back of her neck and immediatly she does some outrageous contact, then she does something with a) her neck b) her back c) her shoulder and it jumps off again and she catches it. A classy way in and out of contact.

contact throws, contact catches = all fun.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I like placing the staff on my foot, hoicking it up onto my shoulder...then contacting all the way to the bank.

And just genreally catching it on the back of your neck...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Its not much but I can while spinning a rotor on the backs of my hands, toss it up and catch it again on the back hand again, from there I can turn 90 degrees and go into a half fish tail (coz i can only do a half a fish tail - or a fish- at the mo).

Would this be on the way towards a fish tail catch?

Would like to hear more about neck catches and the how too?

Love is the law.

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Just afew little variations to add

From the half steve instead of just alittle flick off the arm give it abit of hight so it spins 2 or 3 times then catch it into a steve (not that imaginative but grate fun). Another one on the same theme is roll it down the front of the leg into a trap between foot and shin then give it a kick and get it to spin horzontally in the oppsite direction and catch into a steve.

On the matter of neck catches I don't know how anyone else does them but the one i do is actully just catching it on the sholder then rolling it straght over the neck. The best way i found to learn it without too much pain was to start by catching it heigh up on the bicep and rolling onto the neck.

Anyone who can get neck catches or even anyone who sees the words neck catch and thinks "that sound good i'll lern that" seriously needs there head tested (me included) ubbloco

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
mcp: - stacey whatnot's neck catches are insane - .. one day .. one day ... with a short, light & heavily padded staff... maybe wink

"half fish tail" = "fish fillet tail" ? confused wink

Maderlocknewbie
21 posts

Posted:
I played for a while with catching with my foot and re-throwing immediately. While this did work sometimes, it had the tendency to either cause much pain or make me fall over or both. I may try them again once I've more staff experience generally.

What I fear most is isolation

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hey maderlock, have you tried this?

[Old link]

Love is the law.

Maderlocknewbie
21 posts

Posted:
Sounds good; kind of like what I was trying to do, but from a vertical stationary staff rather than from a throw. To clarify, what I am having difficulty with is from a spun throw (don't really know the terms for these things - bear with me!) from the hand, caught on the foot, and spun back up into the hand in one movement.

Without the spin hand to foot is easy and great fun. I've been messing around with football-like moves, just catching the staff on the foot, kicking it back up to the knee or the neck (letter requires a good hard kick). Has anyone done this with fire? Does it look any good?

What I fear most is isolation

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
MMM more contact throwing is just what I want to get into when I have sticks around again... (it is a sad story and very OT)

Another fun angle to try on this is to have the stick spining in front of you and just keep it bouncing. You do not want to be hiting the stick into the air again but rather have what ever bit of you that caths it to come down in a nice gracful arc to embrace the impact before going up to fling it back into orbit. You can try getting the easy ones (like back of hand catch-throws) down solid so that you can use them to link more crazy and or playful ones together.

That Glassy (like classy, but with more G!) foot thing sounds great but I cannot figure out all the little words.

Another leg throw is if you copy an inside elbow to hand roll (by inside I mean not hand to elbow) with your leg. You can flick it into the air as it leaves your foot. Nice touch is to follow it with a catch and throw with the other foot.

Cheers,
K

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Hello Kyle smile
finally got the knee-foot roll to work nicely but catch it with other foot?
ye gods
must I wear a can-can style skirt and petticoats?

but thank you for showing me how (the move, not the costume)
hug

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Heya Molly hug
Thanks for the fun & playage.
In answer to your question, ye gods, yes you must!
Next time we catch up I will have show you my extensive can can skirt collection... ubblove

A) it does feel as good

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
right Mr Infeasible,

how about catching it above your knee so you can knee-foot roll continuously?
go on
you know you want to...

biggrin

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
ubblove True true...
I also want to levitate lemons...

A) it does feel as good