Forums > Social Chat > Things you are Psychologically Conditioned to do...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Mary Poppins is on TV at the moment.
I love that movie. i think it is absolutely great; but i can't watch it. i just can't watch it because it is too embarrassing...

why?

i'm psychologically conditioned to cry in it.
at the end, when she is standing at the door and talking to the bird on her umberella; i will cry. every time. without fail. i will bawl my eyes out.
i dont even need to have seen the entire movie; that part alone will do it for me.

dad always said that perhaps i had some psychological thing that made me cry every time, and in psych last year i learnt that i'm classically conditioned to do it.

i cried at that point so much as a little kid because she was leaving, and i still do it now.

i was just wondering if anyone else has an embarrassing little thing like this? maybe not with movies, but perhaps with something else (i dont know what though!)

i also really want to go and watch the movie, but i'm so embarrassed that i'm going to cry in it!!!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

babajagaBRONZE Member
old hand
863 posts

Posted:
Crying in a film .. don't be embarrassed

I still cry then I see Bambi with my daughter

I am also quite fear conditioned there are situations which are not scary at all but I am scared just because of some things reminding me of the bad part in my life

then it takes me a while to figure out that there is no need for fear.

I think a lot of people are conditioned without knowing it but no reason to be embarrassed it is all human wave

What is psychology?- Looking for a black cat in a dark room. What is psychoanalysis? Psychoanalysis is looking for a black cat in a dark room -- in which there is no cat -- but finding one anyway.

FräuleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
That's going to be embarassing now: I am conditioned to cry while watching the movie "She is having a baby". Ever seen it? It's the scene when Kevin Bacon's character is sitting in the waiting room of the hospital not knowing if his wife and unborn child will survive the cesarean... ubbcrying But I am REALLY contitioned as in the pawlowian way (that doesn't mean that I start salivating though ubblol): during this scene they played Kate Bush's "This Woman's Work" and every time I hear it now I IMMEDIATELY start to cry - even though I am not watching the movie. Mmh... still... quite embarassing wink

Good point Babajaga: actually we shouldn't be embarassed because if we are really conditioned to do stuff we are not doing them consciously therefor we cannot control the way we are reacting.
EDITED_BY: Fräulein (1094329462)

"I see," said the blind man.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I always cry in Short Circuit 2 when they beat up Johnny 5

Love is the law.

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
'Consideration' by Reef makes me cry without fail. So I never listen to it. It does have bad memories attached but it's been so long that I don't actually think about them, just hearing the song sets me off...

animals who are not penguins can only wish they were

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
ok dont laugh, but the movie "The Brave Little Toaster" at the end when he gets back to getther with his prior owner (the little boy going to colledge now) yea i cry like baby EVERY DAMN TIME.........

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
The end of 'The Crow'. I think Shelly comes to his grave dressed in a white gown. Not entirely sure of the ending because I switch it off before it gets to that part so that I don't cry. I've seen that film so many times, its one of my favourites but only seen the ending once or twice!!

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
When I was small we had a recording of the sound track of the film "Dougal and the Blue Cat". For those that don't know it, it was the one and only feature length film made of the Magic Roundabout , a 60's kids TV program that featured Dougal the dog, Brian the snail, Zebedee a strange spring bottom man type thing, Dylan the spaced out bunny and Ermintrude the Cow. My sister and I used to listen to this record so often we knew all the words by heart. To this day if anyone utters the word "Factory" straight out of my mouth comes the line "Factory! Factory! What do you know about the Factory!!" People often give me a strange look but I can't seem to help it. It just comes out!

I think you can still get a copy of the video of the film. I'll have to go and google it..........

[EDIT] I just found a review of the film!

Blue is beautiful.....blue is best.......I'm blue.... I'm beautiful.... I'm BEST!
EDITED_BY: Skulduggery (1094228595)

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

weeleighlook a rainbow!
237 posts

Posted:
I always cry at the end of Life is Beautiful....but if you don't then I think you must have no soul or something, cause that's just something that should make you cry, and that kid is so damn adorable. ubbcrying

I also am pretty sure that I cry at the end of Pay it Forward. Haven't seen it in a while, though, but I remember crying at the end of it at least twice. But not as much as with Life is Beautiful.

And the song "Don't Take the Girl" by Tim McGraw. It doesn't make me cry, but it always makes me feel like I should.

Can't think of other stuff right now.

"Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth."

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
"perfect day" by Lou Reed does it for me every time, no idea why...

oh, and every time i leave my house, when i get about 200 metres away from it I freak out about whether I've locked the door or not... and then I HAVE to go back to check, and of course it's always locked smile

everyone's unique except me

ItsAllTearsBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
theres a song by HIM called The Path, everytime i hear that i cry, but its good crying, it reminds me of my boyfriend heart smile

~* so, my love, your laughter is finally turning to tears, and you're begging for more, though the end is getting near *~

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
weeleigh, i refuse to watch life is beautiful again. i cried so much i felt like my heart was going to break! it was just too harrowing for me!

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Fleancejourneyman
99 posts

Posted:
Ok, so not something i cry to (by the by, i'm one of those manly men that hasn't cried in a long time....i think it was in 2001....around easter......seriously) But i am deffinitely conditioned to like people with red hair, not in any physical or sexual respect, i just have found over the years that i have heaps of red headed friends. So now, whenever i meet a red head i automatically think the best of them....it is very bizarre.

A song that always provokes a reaction is John mayers "My stupid mouth" and the all time saddest movie is deffinitely Transformers, when Optimus prime dies. I know you all know
what i'm talking about. ("One shall stand and one shall fall")

I don't care who you vote for

Just don't vote for the guy who likes war, destruction and earning money over earning respect.

JonaBRONZE Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
Rouge dragon, this is said in an informative, rather than a condescending way,

but you aren't classically conditioned to cry at that part of the film.

Classical conditioning is a totally different thing, it only covers a very small part of animal/human learning and is not the reason for your emotional venting.

You cried when you were a kid because it made you sad, if you are still crying, but not feeling sad, then it is just simple learning, and remembering to do a certain thing (no, this isn't classical conditioning)
There may still be a theory that you mite be able to find that may fit whats happening more correctly. smile

YEY! i got the poi down form under the motorway bridge!

FräuleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
Well I guess maybe she is. Classical conditioning means that a reaction is triggered by a stimulus. As she said beforehand her father said that she "had some psychological thing that made me cry every time", so that could mean that she cried because of something that happened WHILE she was watching the movie rather than because of something that happened IN the movie. It just always happened close to that scene; therefor the bird is the stimulus that triggers the crying. wink And even if it was because Rouge was sad that Mary was leaving the bird still functions as the trigger. Wow... and I just had a D in pedagogics (4 or "ausreichend" in German wink) ubblol

"I see," said the blind man.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
my teacher said that she though it was classical conditioning as well...

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Theres an easy way to work out if its Classical conditioning or not, apply the theory to the example and see if it fits.

The Theory

-an unconditioned stimulus gets an unconditioned response.

-present a neutral stimulus at the same time as the unconditioned stimulus over repeated trials, and over time the subject will begin to pair the unconditioned stimulus and the neutral stimulus.

-Eventually the subject will give the (now conditioned) response to the only the neutral (now conditioned) stimulus.

so what you need to do Rouge, is work out what are the unconditioned and neutral stimuli, and work out how they were repetitively paired, and identify how the what-was-previously a neutral stimulus illicits the response.

or

UCS ---> UCR

UCS + NS ----> UCR

(repeated exposures)

CS (was NS) -----> CR (was UCR)

Josh

PS if the CS is repeatedly presented with no UCS, the conditioned response will slowly reduce back to a null state.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Yeah, we worked it out in class that it all matched up. i think it worked out that mary poppins leaving was the UCS which produced the UCR of my crying. and i then associated the talking bird with her leaving and now that makes me cry.

or it was something like that, at least.

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
makes sense smile

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Fleance, don't be sad, Optimus Prime doesn't reeeeally die, because part of him will always live on within the matrix of power.

If Hotrod can lose his best friend, and still manage to save the day, I'm sure you can try to show a similar strength.

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
i nearly cried after watching the crucible by arthur miller, and whenever i read it i choke. but thats just because its a damn good story. other than that, im not a tearful person, though sometimes, when i have a good reason to cry, i wish it would gush out instead of just swelling inside like an A bomb in my chest.

and i also was moved when they beat up johnny 5, he was so innocent!!! the brutes!

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

Fleancejourneyman
99 posts

Posted:
ubblol Nilid, don't ever let anyone say that you are not a hillariously funny person. You are right of course.....If hotrod can do it, so can i *an eighties theme song fades in from the background* "You got the power".

I don't care who you vote for

Just don't vote for the guy who likes war, destruction and earning money over earning respect.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I bawl like a baby whenever my dad sings two songs.. either "Im nobodys child"

or "shep" a song about a little dog getting shot by its owner... frown frown frown

I howl.

and when I watched A.I I cried like a bubba and now I cant watch it frown

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Hairy TaitBRONZE Member
109 posts

Posted:
The Song "America" by Simon and Garfunkel gets me....Usually just at the Bit where it crescendo's into "It took me four days to Hitch-hike from Saginaw......I've gone to Look for America.....

I just put it on and sure enough....Tears a'Flowin'............!!!!

What a tune though...

It's a very interesting story, Future Boy....!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
does anyone know the little kids song "five little ducks went out one day..."? it used to make me bawl as a little kid, and it still gets me choke up now!

my ex used to get choked up in "puff the magic dragon" ubblol

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Watership down still makes me cry.

I remember sitting down as a kid expecting to watch a nice film about Bunnies!

Was a tad shocked and cried a fair amount.

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Oh dear.

I wish i hadn't opened this thread now...

ok films and TV shows that make me cryLabyrinthYoung Gunsseveral episodes of Quantum LeapMonsters Inca few episodes of Due Souththere's actually quite a list. but I'm not going to write them all out right now

but the thing is, it's not the sad bits that get me. It's the happy bits. When you think all is lost but then their friends come through for them and save the day. Like in the end of Due South when all the Mounties come and rescue them... or the end of Young Guns when Chavez turns up with the horsies (you think he's runned away..but ooh no. He's gone and got horsies enough for everyone).

Books that get to me: Join Me by Danny WallaceStardust by Neil Gaiman

but i must categorically state that i have never ever been effected by people being evicted on Big Brother UK....

ok maybe once

or twice.

*tiptoes quietly off stage*

Meh

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
Dumbo
The bit where his mum is all chained up and she reaches out her trunk and rocks him.

sob sob sob

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

I always cry in Short Circuit 2 when they beat up Johnny 5

Oh man... but then he comes back gold-plated! And is inagurated as an american citizen! So it's OK, really. But when I first saw that I couldn't believe what I was seeing!

Written by: Fryed Fish

"The Brave Little Toaster" at the end when he gets back to getther with his prior owner (the little boy going to colledge now) yea i cry like baby EVERY DAMN TIME.........

*cough*me too*cough*

I don't know why it is but that movie is [censored] great. I could watch it over and over again. A worthy DVD purchase!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Moulin Rouge without fail everytime makes me cry and cry and cry. Such a tragic ending...also Kill Bill vol 2, when she gets trapped in that stupid coffin and they try to bury her. Thats really sad

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Moulin Rouge makes me cry as well, but I havent seen it in 2 years because last time I watched it, i was going through a break up, and EVERYTHING in it made me cry!

Page: