EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
Are there any other wire walkers, or people interested in learning wire walking out there? slack ropes / tight ropes, anything balance, lets chat about it here
biggrin
The first question that I have is does anyone know where I can get 10mm wire rope!!!! My rig has 5mm rope and it is insanely thin, more difficult and painful on hands and feet. I have been trying marine supplies with no luck... any other suggestions?
Anyways, If any of you have an interest in the wire, I'd love to hear about it wink

Eveish

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
here maybe...?

if you want to go and have a look for some i reckon any places that do winches would be a good bet - a 4x4 car centre or a power/heavy tool supplier maybe?

good luck ubbrollsmile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
Thanks so much for that link cole!!! - they even have the non-rotating wire that is extra easy for walking, and cut to length. biggrin

hug

I have looked online at so many sites for this stuff but most of them want you to buy 48 metres of the stuff, which is far more than I need or can afford right now! I have tried winch places, but most of them want you to buy stupid amounts of wire too.

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
Yo eveish, i wanna learn tightrope, it sounds quite fun.

I saw on telly aaggeesss ago some people doing some sort of acrobatics on a moving tightrope. I havnt a clue what it was called but it looked sort of springy and they jsut tied it between two trees and started to shift their body weight quite dramatically in order to compensate for the amount of movement it gave.

Is this what you mean when you say "slack ropes"? If it is, do you do it and how much does it cost for one of those ropes, I can easily make my own rig to attach it to if the rope is a decent price.

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

ItsAllTearsBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
i do tightrope!! is great fun, but then you run outta things to do! lol, theres limited stuff you can do on it, im gunna find out if theres other things i could do lol. ubbrollsmile

~* so, my love, your laughter is finally turning to tears, and you're begging for more, though the end is getting near *~

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
i want to i want to smile
by the way if any one has blue prints for the rig to hold the tight rope please pm me and let me know

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
anthrax- Yep, that would be a slack rope! (a slack rope is actually a tightrope that is pulled to less than one ton of pressure)
There are two types of this, the insane REALY loose ones like you are describing, and the kind that are pulled as tight as they can because they want to be tightropes.
Slackrope walking is actually very different to tightrope walking, and to be honest, I suck at it!!!
tightropes are my area, any I have found those quite easy to learn hehe
Slackropes are amazing though, I watched Cirque du soliel do some amazing stuff, like swing back and forth on it, while in a handstand on a ladder balanced on the rope.... EEEK!!! highly inspiring stuff, but also close to impossible! biggrin

Tears- What sort of stuff do you do on the rope? maybe we can give each other some ideas if you are stuck for new stuff... there is loads you can learn to do!

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
ok thanks eveish, im gonna look online to see how much a slack rope/ tight rope will set me back, it does look pretty insane doing it just standing on it!!!

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

ItsAllTearsBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
eveish, i cant do much because i dont know what to do!! i can go fowards and backwards and turn around ubbrollsmilebut then i thought... what else is there i can do? lol confused2 any tips and ideas would be great!

~* so, my love, your laughter is finally turning to tears, and you're begging for more, though the end is getting near *~

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
Start trying to squat down and stand, then walking sideways, these will help you in later skills. There are also different types of walks, ie: slide walk (for acrobatic style walking) tip-toeing, (to work up to more clowning style walking) and standard walking (toes pointed out from the wire, this tends to be the way most people learn)
I can talk you through learning handstands if you are interested in that sort of thing?? hehe
can you ride a unicycle? if you do...make sure you take the tyre off before trying it on the wire! wink
You can also work on little things like forward rolls and dive rolles... but work on these when you are comfortable squating down to sit etc.
also there are various balances you can try that look pretty... what sorts of things would you like to learn how to do? smile hehe

ItsAllTearsBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
hehe sounds cool how about that handstand then? i can pretty much do them anyways on floor but not well everytime, occasionally i'll be up for a while but other times i'll be crap lol ubbrollsmile i cant ride unicycle yet but i am learning. fowards roll on tightrope? how do you manage that?! lol

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
ok, firstly, handstands...they are tricky and will take time to master!!! the trick is to fall into them SLOWLY. Start on the floor, one foot in front of the other like you are on a rope. lean forwards and put your hands on the ground (legs straight), try to push yourself into a handstand from there, so that it is all quite a slow motion.
Gradually work at getting your hands closer and closer together, and then try it with one hand in front of the other. It will feel really weird to be hand standing like that to begin with, but you will get used to it. Note, you do need to be VERY strong in your arms!! Try doing it with someone helping, have them stand beside you and hold your legs when you reach a handstand. this spotting will help you learn the balance!
Also, draw a line on the grass or your practice area in masking tape or something, and try to do it on that line. Get used to feeling your centre of balance over that line.
When you can do this easily, try it on the rope, get your friends to spot you again to begin with. If you have any questions feel free to ask.. but good luck!!!

ItsAllTearsBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
cheers i'll have a go right now! ubbrollsmile

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
How hard is it to breack into rope walkin? ive seen a guy in vivary park trying, but it seems that hes taking a long time to pick it up. is this normal?

fire leads to creation

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
It really depends on how good your sense of balance is to begin with. most people I think take about two weeks of practice to get comfortable walking the length of a short rope. Maybe he is walking a slack rope, I think that takes longer to learn.
The main thing to remember is that when you walk a tight rope, you have to keep your body rigid and straight for every step you take. For a slack rope, you have to be relaxed and able to move with the rope...

Eveish

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
i think it was slack, cheers i will b trying hat next.

fire leads to creation

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
interested in wire walking? hell yeah! Able to do it? hell no, probably, well i've never really tried, but i do know that i have enough trouble balancing along kerbs....

i think though i might get one in my house.... if and when i get my own house that is, maybe at the back of the living room, that'd be kind of cool, bit of wire walking before tea....... hmmm....

seriously though... where do you have your wire strung up?

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
I have a free standing rig, so that is how it is strung up.

I think it would rock having a small tightrope in the living room!... line the dining room with acro-mats while your at it so that you can do handsprings and back flips through to the dinner table!!

Jofishnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hi

Im interested in learning tightrope but not sure how or if it would be possible to make one?????

I can ride a Unicycle well and do all sorts of tricks, so i have quite good balance but have never tried tightrope before.

Any other unicyclists here??? Which is harder to learn??? (uni or tightrope)

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
I would say a unicycle is harder to learn... but both require so much balance.
as for making a tight rope, have a browse online, I think a few people have designs for them up.

StarlyStarBRONZE Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
I'd love to learn and hope to buy one one day..

Tis my dream to have lots of circus type things smile

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
My dream too biggrin
so far I have collected a unicycle, a trapeze, a free-standing tight rope rig, six juggling clubs, countless balls, 8 fire staves, set of fire poi, 9 practice sticks (of varying lengths) and 5 sets of practice poi : ) There is probably more stuff floating around in my room as well as loads of circus costumes... hehe
*Eveish runs away and starts a new circus*

ItsAllTearsBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
wow thats quite alot of stuff!! biggrin

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
hehe I love it all,
One of my friends has a free-standing trapeze rig... i would love to add one of those to my collection... not likely to happen any time soon though,
yay.. Circus!

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
Hi all,
I have had a few people emailing me to ask me how to learn to do handstands on the wire..
Just so that I don't have to write out the process again, here it is...

Firstly, find a friend to spot you, it can be a painful learning experience without someone to help you! (Preferably a strong friend that isn't going to drop you!) Also, be safety aware, make sure there is nothing nearby that you can fall on, wear a bicycle helmet, and warm up before hand!

Practice on the grass to begin with. Rather than doing a hand stand the way you normally would, with your hands parralell, try it with one hand in front of the other.

Instead of just leaning forward into a handstand, put your hands down, and press up to it. The SLOWER you can do this the better, you will find that you can control yourself that much more.

Once you have your press up to handstand, try it on something thin, the curb by the road, a log, something at the local park, or a beam if you have access to a gymnasium.

Now is when your friend comes in handy, try it on the wire. Get them to hold you at the waist, you press up into handstand and they slowly move their hands to your legs to keep them straight. Let them help you with this until you are well and truly comfortable.

Please note.. Lock your arms at all cost!! falling one side or the other is much less painful than falling face first onto a thin wire!

After this, all I can say is practice practice practice, and if you have a thin wire, wear gloves as it can hurt your hands after a while.

hope this can be of some assistance to you all, if you need some clarification, just ask me, though really its just practice, strength and balance wink

Yay! we should have you all cartwheeling on the wire before long!

Eveish