RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
like airplanes... being that I'm going to be flying on and near 9-11, and due to the "strictness" in regulations... I was wondering if anyone knew how to pack poi for the plane... because I'm not going to have anything but carry-ons (can't afford losing luggage), and i don't want to be hassled over a 'weapon'... I'm only taking sock poi, but figure that might cause additional problems since inside my poi are hacky sacks... and the last thing I need is to be hassled because they think I'm smuggling drugs..

so far the best two options that I've come up with are:
1) keep them in my pockets... (since they won't set off a metal detector)
and
2) maybe untie them (or not since I can untie them if they find them.. ) but I'm thinking if they aren't tied before hand maybe they won't view it as weaponry...

I also thought about going by airport security early before my flight so I can let them "inspect" things to avoid last minute issues, or suspicion of drugs but I also don't want to be told that I can't take them at all..

I'll be going through new orleans, cleveland (or cincinati or something), baltimore and memphis.. (if you count all the stops there and back.. )

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Argh, I know somewhere, Mand made a great post about this... Will go hunt it down...

EDIT: [Old link]

~ Bobo
EDITED_BY: OrangeBobo (1094011909)

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
put em in a back pack and throw them on as luggage. they usually don't lose luggage.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
where the socks and put the balls in your pockets?
smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Thanks Bobo. hug

Rev, please do us a favour and try searching for this. Aswell as the link that Bobo posted, there's already a ton of info out there...

[Old link]
Or
[Old link]

Are just 2 of them.
I don't have time to look for more now.
But good luck, and have a good flight.

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I just wanted to add that I've flown with wicks many times (30 times?), but only had them nicked by baggage inspectors once - which happened to be the last time I flew back to Germany from the states in June. Unfortunately i was in a hurry when I packed and didn't remove my chains from the wicks and lost the whole setup ubbcrying- my favorite handles were on them too! ubbcryingubbcrying

anyway, you are usually safe if you pack them as said, but know there is a chance you might lose your wicks and so be very sure to disconnect them from everything else and pack them seperately.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
ok... maybe I confused people...

its not my fire poi... its my sock poi...

and the main problem that I have is that inside my socks as hackeys sacks for weight... and seeing as I have EXTREMELY poor luck I don't want them to stop me... and think I've got drugs instead of beads inside my stiched sacks..

I'm not putting storing luggage just carry ons.. sorry.. but I'm not going to take more then my backpack just so that my socks can go... these aren't chains.. nor do they have relatively ANY of the 'weapon' issues that fire poi have... so those threads weren't very helpful.. except for the numerous:
"DONT TRY AND EXPLAIN TO SECURITY"

I mean normally I wouldn't evern make a big deal out of it (socks and hackey sacks.. come one).. but me not having issue doesnt mean they wont... I mean no finger nail clippers and I'm trying to get on with two wanna be blackjacks.. I mean I can't even bruise myself when I hit myself with them...

and I don't want them to pick ME for random dude search.. find those and then make me miss my flight because of god only knows what reason.. you know..

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Durbs

wear the socks and put the balls in your pockets?
smile

Seems like good advice to me wink

or, take the balls out, fold up your socks and put them with your hacky's in your hand luggage! ubbidea

Let's relight this forum ubblove

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Disasemble them for the trip if you're worried.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
to be honest... I probably have nothing to fear... but for some reason envision walking through the security checkpoint.. them either opening my bag to look at the contents or picking me for random search... finding it.. and then harassing me forever on wanna be drug charges for having hackey sacks (with suspiciosu looking beads lol)

which probably stems from a recent article I read on reports published by the FBI over drug confiscations... heroin in suckers.. coke filled fire extinguishers and the like..

like I said.. i ahve a history of REALLY weird things causing my life HUGE amoutns of unwanted stress.. so you can never be too cautious you know..

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I just flew to and from New York from Ireland this week with my break down staff, no bother whatsoever.

i just wrapped it up and packed in my checked in luggage.

*edit to incude the fact that i am idiot for not reading your thread properly. I too like the idea of wearing suspicious socks*

best o luck

a
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1094112657)

Love is the law.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Are you only staying in the US??? is so, the Hackeys shouldnt be a problem... I got mine through customs. although they werent in my carry on luggage. It went from Canada, to LA, to Australia..
I dont see why they would think there are drugs in them coz if there was there would be funny stitching in them. where you have torn them apart to get the drugs inside.. unless you were a good sewer or whatever.

If you are worried when you go through, show them and tell them what they are, and dont worry if they do ask... coz that looks suspicious.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
well see tha twas my main thing.. the only REAL problem I think i have is the drug angle because anyone that thinks sock poi are weapns needs to be hit with them. lol.. and the hackeys are made.. for example one of them is a bright pink 'jigglypuff' that used to be stuffed on a key chain that I made into a hackey sack.. (which is a funny story in itself) the way I saw it, I could go by security and say look I have these in my bag... do you want to let your dog sniff them? or can I fly in peace...

thx guys for ridding what few concerns I have.. whether they were unwarranted or not..