Katerpillarmember
19 posts

Posted:
Ciao, poisters italiani!

My boyfriend is about to head off again to Italy - last year he tried to buy paraffin for his fire poi but got a bit stuck, since there seem to be several different kinds of paraffina. Can somebody tell me EXACTLY what he should be asking for, and what kind of shop to get it from?

Thank you so much,

Kat

...dream is destiny...

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Here you go...
https://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/fuel/index.shtml

Somebody sent this to me before I went to France. It came in really useful.
As for the type of shop- I found that my local hardwear store sold lots of it. If he can find somewhere that sells paraffin heaters and oil lamps, then he's laughing.

Have fun. smile

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
Mand- that is a really useful link for us travelers!
Thanks wink

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

Katerpillarmember
19 posts

Posted:
Mand - thanks a lot. I hope that will sort him out. Evidently the continental habit of using a word with the root "petrol" to mean paraffin is a little confusing - no wonder he couldn't find what to buy.

...dream is destiny...

Face_NLPLATINUM Member
addict
513 posts

Posted:
hey Katerpillar,

I've just been in Italy, and finding paraffin is a hell... And the problem is, most people don't know what it is :-s.... I know where to find it in Napoli (expensive) and Siena (normal price), but if you can't find it you can use Petrol... it just stinks biggrin

for clarity, if you ask for Petroleo, you get... guess what, Petrol, and not paraffin, sorry...

in order to get people to understand you, ask them for:
- Paraffina Liquida
- fuel for 'lampa di olio'

my standard sentence was:
scusi, dove si puo trovare Parafina Liquida?

per lampa di olio...

and ask for oil without color or Citronella... both suck pretty much smile

If you're lucky a hardware store might have it, and look out for the cheap shops with tourist trash; somtimes you see the cheap torches, they might sell lampoil as well then...

|| "Is True Mastery of the Elements But a Dream?" ||

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Agree with the above except DON'T USE PETROL!! EVER!!

Oh, and our local supermarket had some in Rome, but I didn't have my fire toys frown

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude