• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Chat > The good ole boys don't like us "fire folk"

Login/Join to Participate

The Phyrefly

The Phyrefly

journeyman

Total posts: 81
Posted:I live in a close-minded community & i need help on opening up people's minds to fire arts around here. Any suggestions would be nice because the fire perfromance troupe i belong to is getting alot of flak from the "yahoos" who run this s$%!y town i live in. ubbloco

fire is the light that shines in all of us. Be sure your light shines brightly wherever you go.

Delete Topic

duballstar
SILVER Member since Sep 2003

duballstar

slack rating - 9.5

Total posts: 2216
Posted:where's that then?

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Delete

The Phyrefly

The Phyrefly

journeyman

Posted:Merced , California. In the middle of california's arpit. Central Valley hell!

fire is the light that shines in all of us. Be sure your light shines brightly wherever you go.

Delete

babaganouj
SILVER Member since Oct 2003

babaganouj

Total posts: 18
Posted:I live in South Carolina. The biggest export that this state has is rednecks.

I haven't done much spinning around here for various reasons. But when I did, I was surprised that people around here were pretty receptive. I guess you just gotta act like you know what you are doing ... Not that I have a clue as to what I am doing.

Delete

Fleance

journeyman

Total posts: 99
Posted:Hey, i often found that if you do something that other people can't do. Then they will probably be reasonably receptive of it.
Just be so damn good that they can't fault you.

Take for example rhythmic Gymnastics. In no way can i possibly consider that a sport and therefore worthy of being in the olympic games. Yet the people who do the crazy ribbon spinning stuff are so damn good that when you watch you get strangely hypnotised and start thinking bad thoughts like "hmmm there was a slight balance problem on that standing quad spin. Deffinitely not as good as the russians all around performance."
Get good at spinning the fire. Then go and dazzle them like a crazy fire spinning lunatic and then watch them try and turn their nose up at you.

fight the good fight

I don't care who you vote for

Just don't vote for the guy who likes war, destruction and earning money over earning respect.

Delete

The Phyrefly

The Phyrefly

journeyman

Posted:well- we ( as in the Phyreflyz- the troupe i organized ) perfomred at the farmers market and most people were really impressed by what we did. The sad thing was that the people in the city council got wind of what we did and thought we were trying to set the town on fire (even though we had the full support of our local fire marshall) i mean, even the newspaper wrote an article on us the next day.

Delete

Frulein

Frulein

Fireotographer on Hiatus

Total posts: 284
Posted:I know it's quite a drive but why not go to San Fran or Santa Cruz on the weekends. Golden Gate Park or SC Boardwalk?!??! I would love to go and twirl there but it's "quite a flight" from here... biggrin

"I see," said the blind man.

Delete

The Phyrefly

The Phyrefly

journeyman

Posted:actuallly- i love going to Santa Cruz & S.F. to spin but the problem with that is I don't have transportation. But I do try to get out of this little town to get exposed to different people & spinning styles.

Delete

majik

enthusiast

Total posts: 231
Posted:I live in a little town too and at first there was a bit of flak from the oldies. I didn't like this and I didn't want them thinking it was just an irresponsible hippie thing. So I broke down the wall and started to talk to them, I showed them what Iwas doing and the skill involved, I showed them I was doing it responsibly and safely and also gave them a bit of respect by doing it in the right place at the right time. I started performing at community gigs like school disco events and band nights at the pub. Once people know what your doing and see that your doing it safely and with respect they usually let it go because there is then no reason to fault it, it becomes just like playing a sport. Anyhow I don't know what it's like over there but I hope this helps.
Good Luckweavesmiley
ubblovemajik

Live, love, laugh and dance!

Delete

jaero
SILVER Member since Jun 2004

jaero

your new best enemy

Total posts: 246
Posted:americans with authority are paranoid and hate what they can't understand. fire often doesn't fly in public places in america. it's a criminal act to light it up on a beach dammit.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

Delete

The Phyrefly

The Phyrefly

journeyman

Posted:well- i have been told i am extremly anal when it comes to safety & i hope I am good at what i do. I just started organizing the troupe about 2 mths ago- it's doing great so far.

Delete

*PiPeR*

*PiPeR*

stranger

Total posts: 38
Posted:frownI've had the same problem on a number of occasions. My advice would be:

1. As majik said, try and talk to the people who don't understand what you are about. And her idea about performing at different functions is something that I have done myself, and got a wondeful response from it. - gets the towns people on your side wink

2. Talk to the council and see what it is exactly that they have a problem with, and then get together some sort of report to show that you have covered all areas that they were worried about and answer all their questions. - that'll get the council on your side. biggrin

3. Write a letter to the editor or an article or something for your local newspaper showing your side of the argument... perhaps include something about the amazing history behind twirling, both maori and polynesia, what it is that people get out of fire twirling (co-ordination, decreased stress levels, friendship etc) - then you have the media on your side. ubbrollsmile

Hopefully this way you will make everyone happy and open their eyes to what a blessing twirling is, rather than a menace.

Goodluck!!! hug juggle weavesmiley

~*PiPeR*~

Delete

faith enfire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2006

faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI

Total posts: 3556
Posted:bump

fireless in milwaukee but we have a bunch of older people in my neighborhood and at my work, they are looking foward to it and after a few practices-to be on the safe side, want to see

oh and no one complain about where they live-i live in wisconsin, the butt of everyone's jokes

i don't know if i would want to light up near our lake Michigan, it might catch fire wink:P

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete