Forums > Social Chat > Fire Poi in "Vanity Fair"

Login/Join to Participate

FruleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
I just saw the trailer of the new movie "Vanity Fair" starring Reese Witherspoon and spotted a girl twirling fire poi... Whoever is interested in it check the official Homepage https://www.vanityfairmovie.com/

"I see," said the blind man.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
AAAHHH! I know!! I saw it too! Started freaking out in the theatres, ubblol.

Heheh, my mom had to hold me down, was so close to running home and lighting up!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

284 posts

Posted:
Is the movie any good? We have to wait until January 2005 frown

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I don't know... I've only seen the trailor too. Just watched it again, looks like some good scenes in there between her flaming 3-beatage, and some belly dancing (possibly fire-fans too). Don't know when it comes out here though,. I leave in four days, and I doubt it's coming out before I go...
~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
And why was someone spinning fire poi in teh 1700's?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
good point, lightning smile

284 posts

Posted:
Yeah well I guess to answer that we have to wait for the release of the movie.... wink

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
hmm... yeah i was just waiting for the wosname to download and I was thinking it looked a bit well..... not like a movie where people go around spinning poi in their huge skirts... i'd imagine that was a terrible fire hazard... but then it's hollywood, apparently they can do anything they feel like...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

1,643 posts

Posted:
oh okay, so the girl in question was not in a big flouncy skirt, in fact i think she was probably meant to look "bohemian" and exotic or something... and perhaps it's not entirely unfeasible that someone might have been spinning fire poi in the 18th century is it? ...i could swear there's a clip in the latter part of that trailer that looks like it's right out of Moulin Rouge...

284 posts

Posted:
Well maybe it was in the course of a festival or so... there was belly dancing as well and I guess I saw some acrobats in the background...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Well, it is an artistic spin on the story. The bellydancers wouldn't have been their either, nor would have the fire breather...there is alot of circus art presented in the movie that would not have been present at a Masque, however, it needed to look all artsy and traditional Bards and jugglers didn't seem to do the trick alone.

And yes, they did those arts during the 1700's, just not at an English high class party.

But the costumes are exquisite and that is enough for me sit spellbound through it! lol

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
ditto

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pele

And yes, they did those arts during the 1700's, just not at an English high class party.

I don't know, it's possible, am thinking there was a whole lot of that kind of stuff and weirder stuff going on in the Moulin Rouge around that time, stuff not featured in that film! I like the idea of high class 18th century folk taking afternoon tea with mother and then spinning poi and getting off their faces after dark... If films and vampire novels are anything to go by, the 18th century sounds like a fantastic time to be rich biggrin

And indeed the costumes are quite fantabulous! This is increasingly becoming a film i want to go watch...

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
i think it comes out this wednesday in the u.s., dont know what that means for canadians, australians and such..

i think on of the ideas of the movie is that the main character is a girl with very modern ideas, so the anacronism kinda makes sense, kinda, besides, hollywood rarely makes it a point to be historically correct, and im not going to argue that they should take the poi out anyways

i believe the movie has jonathan rhys - meyers in it , which is a good a reason as any to see it wink

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
you know reece wetherspoon has vowed never to be filmed in a bikini again cos she think's she's got cellulite? shameful! rolleyes

just watched the clip + it looks like a bunch of censored. any american adaptation of british history'll manage to p me off. on the other hand, it does seem to have a certain cabaret charm to it.... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
yeh im with duballstar on this one, the movie does kinda look like a pile of bo****ks, but good luck to it, i dont think i will pay to go see it just to see a bit of a weave which is all i got in that video which si prob all there is in the film, if i want that i can do it myself n for free smile i wonder what they would have used for fuel back then, just something really alocholic??

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
RUM!!!!!

(yes,but whys the rum gone?! hic)

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
It's based on a book, so it is not supposed to be historically correct. If it was, it would not be much to watch. It is a romanticized notion of a girl who started out poor and lied her way up the rungs of society to become one of the elite, and then getting found out..etc...Yes it happened, but *all* major movie productions take creative measures.

A quick touch of history, the Moulin Rouge had alot of creative and unique stuff about it to be sure, like it was one of the first places that Japonism came to be part of the architecture (Far East inspiration in French art work) about it, but any form of circus arts did not get incorporated into it until *much* later, especially since the birth of cabarets (which were primarily music halls) such as the Moulin Rouge did not take a foot hold until the late 1800's, M.R. specifically opened its door in 1889 not reaching its heyday until 1898.

And since circus arts as we know them and see them in movies were not even presented until 1760's, and even then only minorly as an accompaniment to the "true" show..trick riders and pachyderms, it is highly unlikely that such "unsavory" peoples were allowed through the doors of any mid-to-high class event.

Remember many movies with cabarets/history in them take *alot* of creative license as well. It has nothing to do with nationality and everything to do with appeal. I have seen bumloads of Brit movies that would offend me because of American portrayal, with bad American dialects and all.

So yeah, not historically accurate at all, but it's a freakin' fiction movie (not a documentary)! Alot of work went into making it look that pretty, and whether or not any of the arts were supposed to be there, I intend to enjoy them anyway!
wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK