Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Midlands/North Sphercular HoP Day Ball @ Poi In the Park's 3rd B-day!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...1718192021...25
duballstar
duballstar

slack rating - 9.5
Total posts: 2216
Posted:biggrin so here's how it started...

Home of Poi Day is an idea generated by members of this site, where for one day a year all of us can meet each other in regional locations around the world to share our love of poi. Last thing i heard, plan's for this years event were focussed around October 30th. umm

The Sphercular Ball is an idea independntly generated by members of Spherculism.com to celebrate 1 000 members on Spherculism by (see above). By coincidence the proposed date is also the 30th October. (also co-incidentally HOP has recently achieved 10 000 members) umm

Poi In the Park in Sheffield is the longest established poi meet in the UK and is soon to get a new web host which means PK can make the website even better. Sheffield would co-incidentally be the best place to hold a regional Poi meet for the midlands/north. umm

Bearing these facts in mind and adding together these co-incidences there can only be one outcome: ubbidea

On Saturday 30th October, Poi In the Park of Poi have offered to host a HUGE poi meet at Endcliffe Park in Sheffield to celebrate the Sphercular Home of Poi Day Ball 2004!!! biggrin ubbrollsmile weavesmiley hug

Everyone's invited however good you are or wherever you come from and we want as many spinners, jugglers, acrobats etc... as possible from the surrounding Midlands/North to be there so SPREAD THE WORD!!!

grouphug

the meet will probably start some time after lunch + run on as long as it does. seeing as it's halloween and a special celebration of the Poi community we should come up with lots of fun ideas of things to do like fancy dress and i reckon there should be lots and lots of cake.... smile

So whaddya reckon? Who's coming? biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Delete Topic

brodieman
brodieman

old hand
Total posts: 1024
Posted:yay well its two days till i come, am doing two 14 hour shifts in the hospital so i can be there will be arriving sat mornong so may need lots of hugs and caffeeneeeee when i arrive,
yay
im all exicted
hugs
smile

Delete

meep
Total posts: 344
Posted:Update: Not coming. Been way too tired this week, and a weekend of being up all night will wipe me out for next week.

I hope you guys have lots of fun smile

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

Delete

ASTRO FAERIE
ASTRO FAERIE

ummmmmmm.............
Total posts: 724
Posted:Written by: Cantus

Written by: ASTRO FAERIE

If you have a problem that you have one too many suitcases,

Suitcases? eek

how middle-aged are you?

errmmm oopsie, i meant bags, im not middle aged yet! 25, and i got asked for ID at the bar last night hehehe......so yaaaaa booooo!!!! lol (only joking) biggrin ubblol

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

Delete

Domino
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
Total posts: 757
Posted:My train tickets still haven't arrived. Eeep eek

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

Delete

Mint Sauce
veteran
Total posts: 1453
Posted:I have a small cd player which runs on bat biggrin I can bring that I just got some batteries for it (dam their expensive frown). Thanks peat I was kind of hoping to get there a little earlier redface so will prob catch the train with mike (loki.c1687) pulse that will give you a bit of breathing space in the car wink I have lots of stuff. but if you give me a ring when you arrive I will pm you my mobile No (some familiar faces are always comforting). Will I will (i love that will will cool) ring you when I arrive you can guide us to the park (I'm very good at getting lost.) redface

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Delete

Mint Sauce
veteran
Total posts: 1453
Posted:bring cd's you like to POI to

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Delete

Cantus
Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity
Total posts: 15965
Posted:For the last bloomin' time. It's always sunny when i spin.

Jeez Durbin, do you never flaming listen?

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Delete

Dunc
Dunc

playing the days away
Total posts: 7263
Posted:Written by: Pink...?

I thought we were going to hall when we get it? therefore will we not be in the park, but the hall at 9:30?

confused At 9:30..PM? In the hall? I hope not, it's pants spinning fire ina small church hall and God will never frgive us if we burn down his house angel2

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Delete

Cantus
Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity
Posted:Written by: Dunc

and God will never frgive us if we burn down his house angel2

He'll forgive me. We're related wink

Delete

Cantus
Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity
Posted:*thinks maybe Alice is usually in bed by 9.45pm*

Delete

jemima (jem)
jemima (jem)

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 1750
Posted:umm who is getting a mega bus from london? anyone? if so what time and day jon? if there is a tent shortage i could possibly lug one, if i get myself organised and turn up....

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Delete

fluffy napalm fairy
fluffy napalm fairy

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3638
Posted:wahoooooooooooo!!

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Delete

TheBovrilMonkey
TheBovrilMonkey

Liquid Cow
Total posts: 2629
Posted:Alice, Jon and myself (and possibly a few others that I don't know about) are catching the 11.30 megabus from London tomorrow (Friday). It leaves from just down the road from Victoria Station I think.

As far as I know, there's plenty of room left in the ubertent.

smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Delete

PyroWill
PyroWill

HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
Total posts: 4437
Posted:once again i really should be in bed since its almost 5am! and im really not gonna get any sleep tomorrow night am i guys lol, tis gonna be a big one!
tobi if u read this before you go, feel free to ring, but my directions will most likely be crap, also are you coming on friday or saturday, anyone whos recently joined this thread check out somewhere between page 10-20 of it and you'll see info i think posted by lolli about the pre Pip party on friday night for anyone considering going on friday, see you all there, you'll recgonise me, i'll be the guy with ginger hair most likely wearing a black t shirt that says my rice crispies made me do it

alice,jon,cantus,bovril, i think we are all meeting up arent we when your bus comes in around 4 or so? well i got most of your numbers so im sure me n cantus can entertain ourselves in sheffield fora bit n we'll all go to the park together, see you all tomorrow or saturday depending on if your boring or clever wink
right time for bed

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Delete

Pink...?
Pink...?

Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
Total posts: 6140
Posted:C@ntus - Yeah i'm normally in bed by 8pm actually tongue

Anyway, see you all either tonight or tomorrow ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Delete

Durbs
Durbs

Classically British
Total posts: 5688
Posted:I guess we can always spin fire outside the hall, and spin LED and under the UV light inside...

Hurrah smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

ben-ja-men
ben-ja-men

just lost .... evil init
Total posts: 2474
Posted:fire is sooooooooo last year ubbloco

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Delete

PyroWill
PyroWill

Posted:whoops woke up late, best start packing, do i need to bring my poi ubbloco

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

Delete

duballstar
duballstar

slack rating - 9.5
Total posts: 2216
Posted:wohooo!! bounce2 cy'all ina few hours! biggrin

*starts running home to pack*

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Delete

Durbs
Durbs

Classically British
Posted:Grrrrrr - says me, sitting at work, this time tomorrow, I'll still be on the bus frown

But thanks to the kindness of Dunc and/or Mech - the UV light is coming with us - so pack yer UV active props, and I'll bring the body paint wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Delete

Parafinfairy
Parafinfairy

old hand
Total posts: 845
Posted:But thats ok Mr D - I'm making flapjacks for the coach!! (and for Chris because I promised him!!)

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

Delete

Durbs
Durbs

Classically British
Posted:Are they "Special" flapjacks wink wink *nudge nudge* ubbangel

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Delete

Parafinfairy
Parafinfairy

old hand
Total posts: 845
Posted:Yes they are - they're going to have rolos in them!! Yummy!!

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

Delete

Spanner
Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here
Total posts: 2790
Posted:Over the past couple of days, I've been thinking about whether or not I should go to Sheffield. "What's to think about?" I hear you cry, but be assured, there are very good reasons behind it.

If I were to come to Sheffield tomorrow, I'd have to travel for at least 7 hours, more likely 8, on my own, which I wasn't expecting. I'd also have to spend, or borrow money for the fare which I can't afford to do, as my bank account has been debited for bills which I wasn't expecting to have to be paid yet. frown

My son has also become more interested in seeing some fireworks this year and as I felt he was too young last year, we didn't go to an organised display. This year, the only one we'd be able to get to is tomorrow night. It's also Halloween on Sunday, which he's also becoming more interested in.

It's been a hard decision, but I've decided not to come. It's not been easy for Roo over the past fortnight as I've had to ensure we don't get evicted from our home in the next fortnight, but although I've succeeded in securing it until at least January and I probably do deserve this break, I feel that I should spend some good time with Roo.

Even though I'm admittedly disappointed that the gods haven't exactly been smiling upon me this week, because as those of you who know me well will also know I don't get the chance to go out much on my own to events like this, I know that even that, plus any disappointment from people who would have like me to come is far outweighed by how much Roo will enjoy this weekend. No offence wink

I hope everyone who goes has a great time...

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

polythene
veteran
Total posts: 1359
Posted:Also wish I was going frown

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

Delete

jemima (jem)
jemima (jem)

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 1750
Posted:i have come to the conclusion that its not sensible for me to go. I is sad, but i'll check the events more often in the future lol ill miss you people though

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Delete

StarlyStar
journeyman
Total posts: 78
Posted:today of all days I'm a poorly star frown

Sorry Astrofaerie i was looking forward to meet you and evrerone else frown

I will get to one of these meets oneday!

Have a great time all.

xxx

Delete

onewheeldave
Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3252
Posted:I've just crawled back from this at 2 in the morning smile

Superb day, massive turn out; good to see some faces I've not seen for ages and meet some new ones from HOP, PIP and other places.

Respect and thanks to Lolli, solace and the other organisers, and to PK for setting up the PIPs in the first place. And to duballstar who I believed kicked off this thread in the first place and to everyone who made the thread so massive that it led to loads off spinners making the long journey to Sheffield.

The hall hire was a great idea, turning it into something very like a juggling convention; will possibly be remembered as the inspiration for possible future spinning conventions?

Excellent day smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Delete

TheBovrilMonkey
TheBovrilMonkey

Liquid Cow
Total posts: 2629
Posted:I've just got back, that was a fantastic weekend, t'was nice to meet lots of people that I can now put a face to the name for smile

Written by:
Respect and thanks to Lolli, solace and the other organisers, and to PK for setting up the PIPs in the first place. And to duballstar who I believed kicked off this thread in the first place and to everyone who made the thread so massive that it led to loads off spinners making the long journey to Sheffield.

Indeed. There was alot of effort put into this event, so I'd like to second this thanks. hug smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Delete

PyroWill
PyroWill

Posted:I also have just got back, what an amazing weekend, shame i couldnt stay tonight but oh well, its was really cool!

MASSIVE thanks to PK, Sollace and Lolli for organising everything including finding me and the others places to stay and getting that hall organised, that was an amazingly good idea and wwell worth 3 quid! i have lots of pic's and will prob be editing a video of the event of the shots ive got, pink and tobi i'll send u the raw footage too as you asked,

was great to finally meet all the people who ive spoken to for a while, your all great smile hope to see you again soon

*will goes off too now add posts to "how many hoppers have u shared a bed with"

Delete

Page: 1...1718192021...25