Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Neck spin to head spin transfers

Login/Join to Participate

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so ive been trying to go from a neck spin to head spin and have managed it a hand ful of times from looooooooooooooots of trys, my problem is that cos its a neck spin i cant see the staff and while i can feel the staff spinning its hard to judge the orientation of it seeings as its spinning on a point. i know to make the transfer happen i just need to lift my head up when the staff is parrallel to the front wall plane but am having loooooots of trouble judging where that is any ideas?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Get Mirrors glued to the palms of your hands and use them like wing mirrors!......oh no thats a dumb idea.... I'll hush up ......... I think I'm just a bit "tired and emotional" smile

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
i can sometimes pull off this move - however its normally completely accidental!

but seriously - ive experienced a similar problem with back spins. the way i worked it out was to practice on a sunny day and use my shadow to learn. every time my staff spun 1/2 a rev on my back, i counted - and got to the point where i could use the counting in my head to time when i could smoothly grab the staff off my back.
i normally count as the staff points down the lenght of the body.
i find that counting also helps nail the timing for some doubles contact when the hands are doing different things.

if you want a more elaborate description let me know.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
You're all robots

that's a very very silly trick

Viva UGLY STAFF

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
silly tricks therefore robots

a textbook example of logic

what about rotating thumbs therefore robot does that work to wink

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
errm, this may sould silly, but cant you feel what part of the spin the stick is on? I mean, its in contact with your flesh innit?

othger than that, its timing. this si a badass impossible move, and kudos to peeps who have it solid.

realised the other day that taking a year off staff is not good.

(you should see my contact juggling tho!)

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
hey stranger, yeah i can feel where its spinning but its spinning on a point so i cant feel the direction of the staff and the staff needs to be parrallel with the wall plane for it to roll smoothly up onto your head. you better do some hardcore practise i expect to see insanely good staff tricks at bristol ubbloco

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
Disclaimer: *Absolutely no insanely good staff tricks at bristol* wink

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Heya Benji! hug
When you say head spin to you mean the top of you head?
Might be a bit of a silly question I suppose, but there are also those control points on the sides of your head that you might have seen those ball people mess around with. I have not spent much time with this stuff but found *much* easier to go from armneck backwhatever to the side of the head to the top of the head. Just seemed for me like a natural path for the stick to take.

PS for those that WANT to look like a robot (sphongle anyone?), try spinning your self about with your staff in a side of head pos.

Love & Stuff,
K

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Written by: Psi

Disclaimer: *Absolutely no insanely good staff tricks at bristol* wink

so i guess i wont bother coming then *shrugs*

kylie yep thats exactly what i mean if you go for the side of your head from neck shoulder whatever what about your ear? are you in the uk anytime before december1st? would be cool to meet you before i leave these shores

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Ben-ja-men,

You could try the Van Gough approach; or for somthing a bit softer maybe just smile smile...
(notice they do not have any ears).
I will be in Euro land untill Dec or Jan, but if we miss eachother here we can still hook up in OZ later. That is where you will be returning to I hope? I wanted to go to England and Scotland on this trip but I do not know if it will happen what with the onset of winter and all.
Cheers ubbrollsmile,
K

A) it does feel as good

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
onset of winter?
wuss rolleyes

if you visit Edinburgh, I'll provide you with feathered bloomers to go under your skirts smile

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
yep im heading back to oz for an undefined period of time when and where in oz are u heading? molly if i come to ed will u provide me with a feathered bloomers and a skirt? ubbangel

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
no, you have to bring you own skirts tongue
and Why has thieved my other bloomers but is denying it :scowl:

(but when are you coming? and if you'll only come if there are bloomers and skirts I'm sure we can sort something out)
hug

whyBRONZE Member
not _Y_
720 posts

Posted:
Written by: Molly

and Why has thieved my other bloomers but is denying it :scowl:

lies!
You've never given me such things... the closest was a single feather

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
umm

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Written by: Molly

onset of winter?
wuss rolleyes

I prefer to be known as a peace-loving, warm-blooded, mungbean. But thanks the offer sounds very tempting. I like bloomers.

Benji,
I should be back in Bris vegas at some point late this year or early next.

A) it does feel as good