Forums > Help! > Balls U Like Rainbow Strobe poi - advice please!

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I'm thinking about investing in a set for my lady, but she only likes to spin light things. I've heard these poi are pretty heavy. I was wondering if anyone could give me some idea of the wieght of them - maybe in comparison to some 2.5inch wicks on chains, that's about the heaviest thing I usually spin!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I just got a set of the Balls U Like Rainbow Strobe poi for my niece. They aren't very heavy. To compare them to your 2.5 inch wicks on chains is hard, as I don't know what they weigh. The only problem we have with them is the large clip on the bottom of the cord.It catches on clothing and opens allowing the poi ball to fly off into the nearest bush. We have fixed that by taping the clips shut. Hannah, my niece, loves them! I like them too. ubbrollsmile

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Thanks a lot! I'll definatley be ordering a set then. She'll be pleased (as will I! Can't wait to try em out!)

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Are these the rainbow strobe poi from the HOP shop?
If not, where can I see pics? These sound interesting.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:

I got mine from here . Hope that helps.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
ive had balls u like rainbows for a fair few weeks now and always seemt o eb the highlight of the eevning when they r spun, unless of course fire is done, however having just come back from the reading festival and now not able to use one of them i have this advice to give, when changing the batetries be bloody careful, you'll see th cylinder insdie with the light bulb well mine wasnt attached properly and just slid out, and i think it has got trodden in path, now i cant spin them, does anyone know if i can buy a replacement lil cyclinder thing??

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

poi_boySILVER Member
stranger
42 posts

Posted:
Just thought I'd say, got them the other day and they are absolutely incredible! They look like they're just glowing a kind of flickery-white colour, but when you spin them you can see they make balls of colours as trails. They're amazing and look great in photos (particularly when doing overhead butterflies and corkscrews). They're a little heavier than you'd think to look at them, but no big problem. The only annoying thing is the little toggle-slider things which you use to adjust the length. They're a really bad idea, because they can't support the weight of the poi themselves. It's easily solved by knotting both lengths of string together when you get it to the length you want, but why have the little toggle at all if that's the case? Most annoiying. And the little knot at the very end of the string is too small so it goes through the toggle, and you have to spend ages getting it back through which is very fiddly, especially with the weight of the poi pulling the string all the time. And in the dark.

Rant over! Apart from toggle issues, they are amazing to spin with, and they hardly hurt when they hit you which surprised me a bit!

easy ! ;p every days a festival!

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I love my strobe poi and I love Balls U like - they are sweethearts! Contacted them to ask them how to fix my strobe poi as they are UK distributors of the poi (though not where I bought them). They are sending me a replacement and are contacting the manufacturer to find out why my whole cylinder came loose in the first place (was not from a battery change), but something to do with whatever way it was inserted originally. PyroWill recommend you ask BallsuLike about replacement parts.

I think the rainbow poi - though heavier than ribbons are great for kids, nervous starters as they are pretty light and easy to use and don't hurt when you whack yourself - or at least - I don't notice the bruises till they are pointed out to me!

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
have contacted the lovely people at balls u like and they are giving me replacement battery cylinder for complete free, lovely guys smile

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
That's really good of them, I'll have to remember this!

Thoreau

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
and some new batteries, saved me a few wuid, but my handle has broken and cos they were so ncie i feel guilty abt asking again, damn

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

I just got a set of the Balls U Like Rainbow Strobe poi for my niece. They aren't very heavy. To compare them to your 2.5 inch wicks on chains is hard, as I don't know what they weigh. The only problem we have with them is the large clip on the bottom of the cord.It catches on clothing and opens allowing the poi ball to fly off into the nearest bush. We have fixed that by taping the clips shut. Hannah, my niece, loves them! I like them too. ubbrollsmile

i have themn too only i find that i do not have your problem but mine have a moveable cord.... but one keeps on loosening = spontanious lengthning of one poi. not fun in the gardne, but no they are not much heaveir than a cobra

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
when i ordered mine, the package got ripped in the post so the parcel company sent them back and for the delay i got 8 free batteries smile

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Frogette, tie a knot in them (nearer the handle than the little toggle thingy) when you get them to the length you want. Inconvenient but effective!

Anyone who has these - Poundland are doing big sheets of batteries with 4 of the right sort on each for £1 plus millions of other batteries. Stock up smile

Thoreau

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: nearly_all_gone

Frogette, tie a knot in them (nearer the handle than the little toggle thingy) when you get them to the length you want. Inconvenient but effective!

Anyone who has these - Poundland are doing big sheets of batteries with 4 of the right sort on each for £1 plus millions of other batteries. Stock up smile

Thank You on both accounts, we don't have a poundland yet but have been looking round the cheap shops for them as they usualy pop up at this time of year.

skaterp0inewbie
2 posts

Posted:
I got a set off ebay UK for £18, i've never used the 'balls u like version' but these appear to have the same heads and come on chains, which i prefer to string, i think i just typed in something like LED poi, the thing that i like most about them is the fact that i'm not afraid to try anything cos of the rubbery stuff - its kinda fun to whack them at top speed into your head!!

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: skaterp0i

I got a set off ebay UK for £18, i've never used the 'balls u like version' but these appear to have the same heads and come on chains, which i prefer to string, i think i just typed in something like LED poi, the thing that i like most about them is the fact that i'm not afraid to try anything cos of the rubbery stuff - its kinda fun to whack them at top speed into your head!!

mine smell really nice do yours? lol.

skaterp0inewbie
2 posts

Posted:
hehehe, they used to lol, but now they just smell like mud and beer - so actually they still do!!

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: skaterp0i

hehehe, they used to lol, but now they just smell like mud and beer - so actually they still do!!

lol ok mub i can understand but how in the frilly heck did you get beer all over them enough to make them smell weavesmiley beerchug

MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:

Just got my Balls u like rainbow strobe poi they are very very cool i love them and would advise anyone to buy they ...well worth the money. ubblove wow weavesmiley

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
They have good battery time too.. we're still on our first set and it looks like we got them about 3 months ago now!!

Thoreau

HeluertoGOLD Member
17 posts

Posted:
Them chain ones on ebay keep selling at up to about £20, but Enjoypoi have reduced them down to £17.99 - they are the same ones as on ebay

Hx