Forums > Help! > Please Don't Scold Me!!!

Login/Join to Participate

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
Satisfying HOPs Lust For Fire
308 posts

Posted:
I already did a search on this & really didn't come up with any answers so please don't scold me if this has alerady been posted.

I made some poi...18in kevlar wick rolled around wire. When I light them up, they have a nice flame, but when I start to spin, they just about go out. I've tried soaking them for a long period of time, that hasn't helped. It's off the same roll that I used for my staff & I get nice flames off of that. What am I doing wrong? frown Could I have rolled the wick too tight? Not enough wick? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Never settle for normal.devil
Average thinking brings average results.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
possibly not enough wick, 18in isn't that much really. I used 42in of kevlar on each of my (now Bird's) cathedral wicks and they make nice big flames!

Of course it could be something completely different! smile

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yes, 18" is pretty small... And on top of it, you say you rolled it arond wire? That tells me they are probably really thin. Normally a rolled wick is wrapped around a metal tube which makes them wider and provides more surface area to burn. If possible, I suggest taking the wick apart and roll it around a metal tube and see if that helps. If not, try the same with more wicking. Im not really sure how much wicking goes into a normal tube core but Id say its probably at least 5 layers.
(((((O)))))

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
lolsign love the diagram dude...

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
It could be that your wick is too tight and also has insufficient surface area. Ages ago, we made some firewhip-poi and braided kevlar really tightly. They were not very successful cos there was just not enough surface area or room for air, which we all know is vital for fire to exist.

Just my .02

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Just a simple thing that you probably already know, but are you soaking them long enough? Until the bubbles stop coming...

18" is small, but I know people who use 25" and that's not a lot different... but wire must make them pretty thin. Metal tubing all the way!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Did you consider the wind?
Maybe add some BBQ lighter fluid, its more difficult to put out biggrin

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
308 posts

Posted:
Hmmm..no wind, except for the wind caused while spinning. I'll have to try & modify my design...maybe take the ones I have apart & make some cathedrals out of them & order some more wick to make the other one. Would two strips of 18in wick be enough for a good cathedral?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Most cathedrals have at least 4 feet of wick per head. I also wouldnt use two seperate strips in one head just because it will have more a chance to fall apart methinks.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Madam FlameBRONZE Member
308 posts

Posted:
but when you make a cathedral, isn't it two seperate strips of wick folded back and forth over top of eachother? Or am I not understanding how to make them?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yes, you can make them out of two pieces but with poi they are most often made with one.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/fireheads.php

There are examples of how to make both types of cathedrals on that page. If possible I would really use only one strip per head for added safety.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
if u dont want to settle for the altering the length or anything you can just alter how tight the wick is, the tighter it is the smaller the flmae btu you'll get a longer burn time, and vice versa that the more slack the wick the less burn time but bigger flame u get

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
How do you make a cathedral wick confused

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
ive never made any but so long as you know what it looks like i guess try and imagine folding the wick once over and really pushing it together so you got a thick square, do the same 3 or 4 more time depending on how many stacks you want (3 or 4 is average), place thes tacks on top each other and drill a hole straight down the middle, put whatever core you want in there really, i reckon your probably only going to need just some wire tying it together as for the core that im not sure, u could probably get away with a few links of chain and attach it to the wire and there u go, that was probably a terrible terrile description so sorry

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
yeah, it was kinda, i still have no idea what they are shrug

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
er i wonder if i can draw it on here

|

|

==

==

ha ha that is so terrible!, you could just look below

becuase im such a darn nice guy i found this for you, unless you've already found it, enjoy!

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/fireheads.php

meghannenthusiast
302 posts

Posted:
wot do u mean a cathedral?

ive learned
life is tough... but im tougher

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
i have no idea why it is called a cathedral wick, i think it is also called a stack wick which seems much more apporpriate, basically instead of your regular poi which rap ina cylinder around the core the cathedral wick just looks like some block son top of each other, they soask in more paraffin s o produce bigger flames than the regular poi, but if u want that just get some monkey fists, they are nniiicceee

p.s. welcome to the site megahhn, start a new thread in the introductions page so we can all get to know you, i can guarantee you'll get a warm reception