mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
so i took my car to a garage yesterday for a service and to have a few repairs. total comes to 240pounds. i pick it up yesterday and they knew i was taking it for an MOT today and they said they couldn't see anything else wrong with it.

This morning it failed its MOT and needs about 680pounds of repairs to pass. I think the garage yesterday ripped me off frown

anyways it makes no sense to repair it coz of its age and mileage, so i need a new car now and quickly too.

soon i'll have no money left at all. i wonder what else is going to happen to depress me even more frown frown

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Go back to yesterdays Garage and demand an explanation and your money back! That's appalling! If they refuse, start talking very very loudly about having to go to trading standards. Make sure there are many customers around when you do this. Also imply you have a relative that works for the local press. That helps sometimes too.

Good luck at getting your cash back!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
i think i'd be wasting my time to be honest

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
Written by:

i think i'd be wasting my time to be honest

i dont know usually when u start shouting bout trading standards they usually tend to help u with ur enquiries

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
i'm just going to learn my lesson and get MOTs done before any repair work, that way i wont be wasting my money when getting a new car would be cheaper.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
If you clearly stated that you wanted the garage to repair your car to MOT standard, then I think you have a decent argument to *at least* get them to do a lot of the rest of the work at bargain basement prices.

BTW, if you are low on cash and the situation doesnt seem like its going to change soon, I can recommend getting a car thats easy to work on, with heaps of parts, and just start learning how to do things yourself. A service is about the easiest thing to do on many cars, and saves you a lot of cash.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
yeah someone said i should learn how to service a car myself smile
im considering getting a cheap runaround which there are loads of parts easily available for and has already gone through an MOT smile

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Do you have reciepts to show what all the garage had done or supposedly done on your car?

And yes if you start talking very loudly around other customers about how your car still isn't working after getting it serviced, you will get somebody to try and help you out wink

Go to another garage and get their oppinion. Take them the reciept if you still have it and ask another mechanic at another garage what their thought is on your situation.

Something I learned is whenever you are supposed to have ANY part replaced or worked on to mark it in an unconspicuous(sp) spot. That way you can see if the part was actually replaced or not. Another thing I like to do that most people don't think of, and some mechanics hate, is to watch them work on your car and to pay attention to what they are taking out and putting in your car.

Good luck and hope all works out well for you hug

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
smile
im in the process of looknig for another car now. and i havea a friend who works in a garage and will take my next car there for any work that needs doing. should save a fair bit that way.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I know its probably pointless flib but it really is true that if you never ask you never get. At least shouting at them will make you feel better even if no good comes of it! smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Huffstranger
18 posts

Posted:
Get yourself a Haynes manual, When working on the mini, it is a bible! A lot of the checks can be done by yourself with regard to pre-mot checks. Very soon the mini is going off the road for some major work, (including a repaint) and I don't expect to spend too much money on labour. Most of the mechanics either I can do myself or my mate can help me. But the haynes manuals can get you out of trouble most times.
Don't leave home without it :-D

Moderation: (-1, Mad)
Total Moderation (+3, Funny) (+1, Underrated) (-1, Mad)

FORTY-TWO

weeleighlook a rainbow!
237 posts

Posted:
Yeah... or date someone who's sister is dating a mechanic...works pretty well too.

*checks out the window*

Although my poor car still needs a new radiator. Ok, so maybe if you do it yourself it gets done sooner....but my way is just as cheap wink

"Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth."

fee fairynewbie
34 posts

Posted:
aww, poor you!

i advocate the shouting at them approach, that way you might at least be able to get some discount, or even a full refund

its worth a try...

Fee
xx

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
im not the sort of person who would go back to a garage and shout at them. my dad is, but im not. i'd rather just never go there again smile