Page:
evolsoulxjourneyman
60 posts

Posted:
i'm looking at the video, and people keep telling me to learn it, but i don't see what it actually is, i don't understand what your supposed to do. (i'm probably actually doing it and don't know it, but i need help x.x)

BOMBS TERRORIST AIRPORT AIRPLANE HOSTAGE ALLAH JIHAD SUICIDE BOMB HIJACK

have you tested the patriot act recently?

esmokahSILVER Member
journeyman
75 posts

Posted:
i know it's already been stressed, but TTN is great for helping with turns or getting an arm out of the way, and a lot more. i never learned it when glowstringing. it just never worked for me. once i got my fire poi set it came naturally and has easily added quite a bit of flair to my routine

I've never seen a supernova blow up, but if it's anything like my old chevy nova it'll light up the night sky!

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
OFS, earlier in the thread there's a link to Spherculism where you'll find vids of 5 beat TTNs, It'll destroy your mind though! Can anyone do/explain/both a same-direction TTN? I've seen it mentioned a few times but I've searched and there isn't an explanation on HoP.

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
*BUMP!* So can anyone do/explain this same-direction TTN business?

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
a ttn is when you twist the arms up one way and then you twist them back the opposite direction.. it works easy with a bf since one hand can twist its direction, and then by twisting the the other hand along its direction, you get the 'counter' twist..

a same direction butterfly is exactly the same.. the difference is that since both poi go the same direction, whichever hand you choose to twist it will -always- result in normal spin one way, and antispin the other..

so I guess the simple answer is to just twist up one side of a weave, and then antispin that same side of the weave, and voila, same direction ttn..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
That was too easily described to be easily done, hehe. *scuttles off to find some poi*

Cheers Rev

ApexProjectBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
i dont get it. at all.

Pull your right hand back to your left elbow like your pulling your sleeve back? wouldnt it wrap your arm?

wth..

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
it's about timing...
i mean i didn't understand how the butterfly would work when i first started

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ApexProject

...... wouldnt it wrap your arm?

wth..

Just a regular 2 Beat Butterfly (aka Thread the needle):

(when spinning inwards.) Say your right hand is on top of your left elbow and your right poi is just about to wrap your left arm. You push the right poi forwards, and the left poi back so they don't wrap.

then your left hand is above your right elbow and you do the same. (Left poi just about to wrap right arm, push forward on the left hand and pull back with the right)

The timing is pretty simple. You're spinning in time, so the poi cross each other top and bottom of the circle. Just as the poi pass the top and just start to fall down, you switch your arms front and back (as described above) Wait for the poi to reach the top again, just as they start to fall, switch your arms again.

Here's a video

There's loads of other butterfly variations in there too.

A bit of a rant about terminology. A ttn is a 2 beat butterfly, so the person asking about 4 and 5 beat ttn would mean an 8 or 10 beat butterfly, bit tricky to do more than a 6 beat butterfly (in time with 3 degrees of twist)

So i'm thinking you mean 4 and 5 beat butterfly, which there should be some vids near the link above. But pay no attention to the names cos they are all pretty messed up.

¦m¦

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
i am proud to say the holy grail of the 6bt is nearly mine biggrin

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Cool that's a pretty crazy pattern. I find the 5 beat more fun and the 6 beat isn't really any harder, just in time instead of split time. The timing is very tight tho huh smile

ApexProjectBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheWibbler

Written by: ApexProject

...... wouldnt it wrap your arm?

wth..

Just a regular 2 Beat Butterfly (aka Thread the needle):

(when spinning inwards.) Say your right hand is on top of your left elbow and your right poi is just about to wrap your left arm. You push the right poi forwards, and the left poi back so they don't wrap.

then your left hand is above your right elbow and you do the same. (Left poi just about to wrap right arm, push forward on the left hand and pull back with the right)

Thanks, that helps alot

more people should explain strange concepts simply..

it makes for everything being easier =)

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Cool, glad to be of service, everything in poi is pretty easy once you understand it and don't try to leap ahead of yourself.

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
Y'know, everyone has been casting ttn as a building-block move without much visual appeal by itself. But I have found that it does look quite cool if you are spinning flags. One flag will cover the other when it's in front, then the other one will jump in front.
So ttn is less lame than it would seem.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Just cos it's a 2 beat (1 cross) move doesn't make it lame

It's considered a building block because it's absolutely essential to learn.

The differentce between spinners who never cross there arms to those who can do stuff with 1 cross is immense.

2 beat butterflies with flags are great fun

Oonce you start dancing and turning with them they are wicked. They open you up to be able to move where ever you like.

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:

everything in poi is pretty easy once you understand it and don't try to leap ahead of yourself.

Hello Matt is that a new policy of yours, I aways put you down for someone who leaped ahead of themself on a regular basis.

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
no no, there is a very solid foundation to all my madness, all very logical tiny steps. Although i do set my sights pretty high.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Looking forward to the video... is it nearly ready yet? Is it nearly ready yet? Is it? Huh?!!

biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:

no no, there is a very solid foundation to all my madness

I think thats way your so annoying tongue

Written by: FurryPurple

Looking forward to the video... is it nearly ready yet? Is it nearly ready yet? Is it? Huh?!!

I second that smile but hey your a spinning so maybe it'll be ready for next years Christmas market wink

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Finally cracked TTN after ages ... a cool move and important building block for turns etc methinks.

I cracked it after realising 2 things which confused me in descriptions and Vids and which may be useful for beginners like me:

I'm talking inwards direction.

- Its a hand crossing move much more than a top-down hands move. Go about it like a boxer pushing a cross: cross right fist over left arm then pull left arm back to body and push left fist over right arm, naturally leaving the pushing fists furthest out and on top.

- Its not really a butterfly, so dont go in from a butterfly but from bringing 2 wallplane circles together by crossing arms as stated above.

3,556 posts

Posted:
no i go in from a butterfly

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
yea go in from butterfly and think about potatoes and it should all make sense... umm

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Flowamember
43 posts

Posted:
I can now do TTN but i can't manage split time TTN its driving me nuts!!! any helpful hints?

I LOVE MY BRICK!!!

3,556 posts

Posted:
 Written by: oli

yea go in from butterfly and think about potatoes and it should all make sense... umm

why are you looking at me crazy
I do it from a butterfly, I swear
bouncebouncebounce

Faith

3,556 posts

Posted:

bouncebouncebounce

Faith

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
it took me a whole year to learn this it just never clicked in my head i learned btb weace and harder tricks well before i learned thread the needel

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

3,556 posts

Posted:
grrrrrr

Faith

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

bouncebouncebounce

so do im thats what i thought u had to do? confused

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

skwairBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
this is driving me mental. ive been trying to do thread the needle for a few days, but cant manage it at all. im pretty sure theres just one little bit im going wrong on but cant figure out what. the poi just always get tangled. argh!

dawn2duskBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

just found out how to do ttn btb, so now I can move between the normal one and the btb one

BTB!! BTB!! BTB!! *___* Wonderful!!! I have absolutely to work on it!!!

(It' s very nice how you have to restart all your understanding of the move you learnt in front of you, when you do that BTB :P it' s gonna be funny - good thing is I already have butterfly BTB - let' s try cool)

***Feelings are anarchist - I feel - I am an anarchist***

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
 Written by: skwair

this is driving me mental. ive been trying to do thread the needle for a few days, but cant manage it at all. im pretty sure theres just one little bit im going wrong on but cant figure out what. the poi just always get tangled. argh!

ha ha. im like that with thread the needle underhand, with normal (poi forward, so swinging inward) it just sort of clicked when i got it.

Page: