Page:
evolsoulxjourneyman
60 posts

Posted:
i'm looking at the video, and people keep telling me to learn it, but i don't see what it actually is, i don't understand what your supposed to do. (i'm probably actually doing it and don't know it, but i need help x.x)

BOMBS TERRORIST AIRPORT AIRPLANE HOSTAGE ALLAH JIHAD SUICIDE BOMB HIJACK

have you tested the patriot act recently?

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
It's kind of a butterfly but one hand starts the circle at the elbow of the other arm, and moves down as they swing around. It alternates every swing.

I guess it's kind of hard to describe, but personally I think it sucks a bit... I never ever use it and I don't think it's helped me with any other trick. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen anyone make it look good!

I'd really like someone to tell me when to use it so it looks good. Sorry if I'm being dumb.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Begin in a butterfly - let's say a forward butterfly. The concept is, as your poi begin their downward descent, to bring your right hand back to your left elbow, like pulling a bow and arrow. When the poi get down to the bottom of their swing, bring the right hand forward, crossing it over the left hand which will come back to the right elbow when the poi pass vertical, and so on.

Threading the needle, though hardly ever performed for its own sake, is an integral part of some other, more complex and fun, moves.

Hope this helps smile

peace ubblove biggrin

Genuineness only thrives in the dark -- like celery.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Thread the needle...

begin the move by doing a search. wink

After that, it's basically doing a butterfly, whilst doing 'one potato two potato' with your hands.
As kittyn says, it is an important move to learn, as it is an integral part of other, more complex moves.
biggrin

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
learn it, it makes doing butterflys fun...

i think everybody at some point asks the 'whats the point in the thread needle?' question, i know i did. stick with it, and dance with it.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
TTN is just a butterfly where you change which hand is on top each beat. So learn to do a butterfly each way and it'll come to you.

And you 100% should learn it... it's equally as important as the weave in the long run biggrin

"Moo," said the happy cow.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
i found the best way to learn it thanks to durbs, gracias my durbs is to just do it without the poi and imagine your pulling down your sleeves so your sliding like your right hand down from your left elbow to left wrist etc and just keep alternating then try it with poi, you'll have it in 5 mins trust me

oh and if they tangle on the up beat your not bringing the hands far apart enough, remember one hand goes back while the other goes forward, not just one going forward, u dont get enough distance between the 2 that way

good luck

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Just since we're on topic.....kinda... is there video around of anyone doing anything over a 4bt ttn?

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I never ever use it and I don't think it's helped me with any other trick

smile thread to neadle is a great move to learn i never knew how to do it until 1 day i taught myself byt accident. itsa great move to learn the butterfly weave its sick cus then u could go from forward btf weave to reverse and back it looks preety cool:)

it must be green

evolsoulxjourneyman
60 posts

Posted:
i can do a backwards weave, is that harder then ttn x.x?

-=Sidhe=-member
22 posts

Posted:
There's a video of a 5bt TTN on Spherculism .

With turns! cool

Ariadmember
66 posts

Posted:
It's like doing a weave with a butterfly, every time the other hand goes ontop of the other.
It's cute, but i think its stuiped :<

dont mistake it for butterfly weave.

and try doing it behind the back, thats cool

evolsoulxjourneyman
60 posts

Posted:
hmm, i don't know why i can't do this ttn, but i have developed the ability to do either a 3 beat or 4 beat reverse weave biggrin

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
i thought i couldn't do thread the needle before i read this post and had indeed forgot it even existed (am nowhere near the stage where it makes pretty patterns) but I tried it last night and it was suddenly about the easiest thing in the world, the sleeve pulling tip is an aboslute gem of wisdom, try that! wink cheers pyrowill and cheers durbs who first said it! biggrin I quite like it as a trick, it's quite relaxing in a way 'cause you don't have to think about it much...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I'm going to brush up my ttn, I think. If so many fine poisters thinkn it's good, who am I to disagree? smile I've not got onto butterfly weaves or anything yet so maybe that explains my confusion a little bit.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

PoiGirlBRONZE Member
114 posts

Posted:
Yeah and if you are spinning to some tune with a good hard beat you can do TTN and gradually bend over backwards...dunno how it actually looks, but it feels nifty. weavesmiley

Ariadmember
66 posts

Posted:
Yay

I just found out how to do ttn btb, so now I can move between the normal one and the btb one, if you do it with deep long moves and swap it between the sides of the body every two moves it looks very impressing.

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
be hesus, reading this stuff makes my head hurt

thread the needle was for some reason the easyest move for me to learn, so im not any good at teaching it cause i never had to work at it

it can look hot if you do it above you on the ground

by the way: what the hell is butterfly weave?! ive never heard of it

peace

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
OH MY GOD!!! i just realized your from cincinnati!!!!!! we have to meet up and spin! PM me please!

peace weavesmiley

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
smile butterfly weave is like.. do a butterfly on your right side lol like bust a btfl and then turn your body to the left styles:)
then you simply try to cross over the butterfly 2 your left side but while doing the handmochen of the weave lol jsut keep in mind that your doing a normal weave xept 1 string is going the oposite way biggrin
then u can learn how to do it reverse and go from front to back peace
if u dont understand make a search the topic has been mentioned previously ubbidea

it must be green

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Im appauled by the people saying that TTN is a worthless move. Saying such a thing = Not knowing what youre talking about. TTN is the basis for any butterfly move beyond the butterfly itself and once you learn TTN youll probably never do a straight butterfly again. At least, I dont except for when I do 1 handed ones.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
i still do a straight butterfly:) but seriously thread to needle is a must if u glowstick also for wraps and such thats why sometimes i beleive glowstringers given their wider range of possibilities with wraps are pushed to be better cus sofar over here, the best stringers are all glowstick oriented and all the poi'ers suck and limit themselves to basick weaves or reverse, btf and mexican wave mehh

it must be green

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
if thread the needle is too boring for you then spice it up, this weekend at the reading festival i tried to perfect my really silly move yet looks good to drunkards where u do thread the needle but lying down on the ground, do a butterfly till your on the knees then slowly lower yourself tillyour head is on the ground then doa thread the needle, looks pretty good, try it with a weave too, my back hurts a bit though cos ive done it about 15 times in 2 days

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

evolsoulxjourneyman
60 posts

Posted:
i got ttn cool

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Sorry to appall people or whatever. I didn't realise what I was saying was so contraversial! It's just that for someone who hasn't learnt any moves developed from ttn, ttn seems like a dull trick that looks virtually the same as a butterfly when lit. I love butterfly, o/head butterfly, reels, one each way.. the list goes on. Ttn doesn't do anything for me. Arm wraps and stuff.. I don't do ttn and I'm still fine with them

And I'm not the only one to feel like this! I don't know anyone personally who values it as a trick in itself. Some mates have learnt it but none of them think it's very good/interesting/fun/impressive. I just don't see the point, at least until I get onto the moves that use it

I'm sure it's very useful in other tricks... but in itself I would never do it. That's all I think.

And I'm sure you're right, I don't know what I'm talking about. smile

Thoreau

Ariadmember
66 posts

Posted:
can it be done bth?
btb its cool, but bth feels freaky to try S:

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Written by: evolsoulx

i got ttn cool

biggrin biggrin

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
PyroWill, i love that move, its what i was trying to describe in my earlier post, it also looks good it you do it above you standing up, but i agree, from the front it doesnt look that different

joulz, thanks for trying to help, but i must admit im still confused

peace/fire

evolsoulxjourneyman
60 posts

Posted:
what is bth? behind the head?

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
ok ok lyra simply: bust a buterfly beside you toward the inside. ( left hand spinning right and right hand spinning left) now assuming the butterfly is on your right side you would cross over your right hand to your left side like a normal weave
your left hand would then follow and maintaining the butterfly beats you woud cross your left hand over smile LIKE A NORMAL WEAVE!
i think everyone hears me when i say thhat when u learn a move for the first time u dont rly know waht your doing but then it jsut flows and u get it
lol i dont know why this matter pisses me off so much but all the explanation i got b4 i learnt it was that u gotta bust a weave cross each hand over the other but while maintaining the butterfly
youll hit yourself in the face quite a few times but wtv it happens rolleyes
good luck biggrin

it must be green

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: joulz

bust a buterfly beside you toward the inside.

ubblol It cracks me up that I actually know what you mean in this sentance. Taken out of context it sounds like some sorta jive talk!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Page: