Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival - August 19th -> 21st *TICKETS ONSALE NOW*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello people!! wavehello

=================================

Post Festival Update

Dunc would really, really like all your feedback on the Play Festival on the PLAY web site. So post on the forum there or use the Contact Us form to give as much feedback as you can.

Dom

info update

Cost - £15

Dates - 19th - 21st August 2005

Location - Shrewsbury Agricultural Showground, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

UPDATE 23rd July 2005

Tickets now on sale, go to the website or book via telephone on 07814 018 091

Update - 5th Jan 2005

The site is now up and running at https://www.playfestival.co.uk
there is a forum included so everyone can contribute to the ideas, concepts and development of the festival as a whole. It wouldn't survive without "everyones" involvement so feel free to log on, register and let us know what you'd like from us while you're there.

And to think non of this would have started if I hadn't gotten into HoP and realised how wonderful this scene is, thank you HoP even if you did remove the link from my sig without telling me why, or even telling me rolleyes hug

Update 31st January 2005

Tickets can now be Pre-booked, up to five adult and five free childrens (u14's) can be booked, once they are released for sale you will be given a set time period to buy them before they will be offered to the public. We're still unsure what the time period will be but it will be a reasonable amount of time, such as 6 weeks, from them being released before they will be put back into the ticket pool. Everyone will be advised by email and in various public announcements of the release date well before they're out.

=====================================================

I have been thinking for a while about organising an Object Manipulation (couldn't think how else to describe it!!) Convention sometime next year, and thought this would be the best place to get the ball rolling! (pun pun)

My idea is this......a mini festival for spinners/jugglers etc that's small and laid back enough to enjoy but big and organised enough to get the most out of. Maybe a band/dj or two in a tent, a fire show each night, weekend camping and most importantly lots of workshops, idea exchanges and fun for all the family. Easy going and fun are the objectives.

It wouldn't be poi based, it would be for all object manipulators from hat juggling to ribbon dancing and everything in between and to the sides so no pigeon holing or amimosity between arts will occur.

So what I'd like to know is if I organised, laid out capital etc for a proper weekend festival (Fri -> Sun) would I get enough interest and of course people attending? I obviously can't afford it by myself but if I put up the cash the more people I expect to come the cheaper I could cost it out per person.

I'd like to hope it'd cost no more that £25 each, but obviously the more people we expect to come the cheaper we can make it, I'd much rather it was a tenner than £25! (please note attendance would be a capped limit for safety and comforts sake)

All I'd be looking for is to break even or turn a small profit so it can be piled back into the next one making it even better and also cheaper.

As they say on poipoipoi's website......"it's not capitalism.......it's spherculism"

It would be in a decent sized feild with a remote location so there would be no townie trouble but close enough for easy access from major routes.

I figure if it's in the midlands area it's probably the easiest for everyone geographically although of course it depends what venues we can find and what the consensus is.

If this is the sort of thing folks would like then yell, but please be a serious yell as I'm realistically trying to sort numbers so I can get accurate costing done. There's also a poll I've set up HERE so vote in it if you can please.

If you think it's a little OTT compared to what is generally available such as Spitz and various annual juggling conventions please say so, all opinions have the same importance smile but don't forget to vote

Thanks folks! I hope you like the idea and can help me to make it a success for all those who come *fingers crossed*

If you have any info you think I might be interested in, ie quality venues (any free party goers out there that know good locations?) any ideas for during the convention or feel there's something individual you could offer I'd really appreciate hearing about it either in this thread or by PM. It's the only way I can make sure I'm giving people what they want!

Looking forward to your comments biggrin

Thanks for reading this rather long post hug

weavesmiley juggle :staff: :ribbondance: :contactjuggle: :knifethrowing: :likwiddancing: :stiltwalking: :diablo: :bboys: :clubswinging: :wifeswapping: :etc:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
im bringing your contact ball with me

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Gosh...

It's amasing what you learn reading that guide.

I never knew I was doing an anti-spin workshop wink
How exciting biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
biggrin Now i know when i'm doing my workshop, this is awfully scary.... in a tingly, excited way.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Lizzymember
69 posts

Posted:
hello everyone

right, ive had a real disaster and am no longer in possession of a working tent. So as i'm only able to stay for friday night and am leaving on saturday, its looking like an all nighter, with no need for a tent or anywhere to sleep. Please tell me that this is going to happen, and other people are as up for partying as i am! or will you all be tucked up in bed by 6???

looking forward to the fest!!! especially the Debetts (please tell me they haven't also had a disaster and can no longer play!)

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Written by: liquid_bubblegum

hey has anyone got a spare tent or spare tent space for our lovely mr justwalk? i know theres was a few mentions before but not sure who said what, any offers of help? smile

I will bring along my spare tent. There's a pm for you with my number in it so you can find me (and the tent)

One day i'll learn to resist gravity...

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I've unpacked, and repacked.
Have got a large large rucksack filled with tent + things, and am carrying sleepingbag. hmm

Lizzymember
69 posts

Posted:
confused

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Probably wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Lizzy, I'm sure there will be at least some people awake at certain stages throughout the night!
I can't wait to do some dancing cool

Lizzymember
69 posts

Posted:
This is such a tough decision!! really want to see the lovely Debretts play...and have been looking forward to this for ages....and of course meet the famous Durbs wink

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Lizzy, i'm sure you'll be able to snag yourself a tent spot if you offer free hugs to people biggrin

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

Lizzymember
69 posts

Posted:
nah!! the dilemna is that i wouldn't want to sleep! id want to make the most of the one night i have at the festival. Never mind. Decision made!! You lot have lots of fun and be really nice to the Debretts as they're lovely. Vonnie is the name of their lead singer and shes a lovely laydee. So have fun!!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lizzy

...and of course meet the famous Durbs wink

Who's been talking? wink
It's all lies I tell you - LIES!

(I'm really 6'5" and built like a brick-shithouse)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
dam it im to excited i'ed go down now but i dont fancy siting out side the gates till they open tomorow

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
oo I know im getting all figity

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Right - thought it was me being asking dumb questions, but in case anyone else was feeling dense.

Bring paraffin!
biggrin

(Apparently there's fire spinning and stuff going on there...)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Uuuurgh..
If I put anymore stuff in my backpack I'm going to fall over when I put it on.
Am relying on Kieron for my parrafin supplies..

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
OK, so workshops,
I notice that you voted for all of them... as a group. grumble grumble
thus making it impossible for me to decide which ones to do:

I'm doing a CJ beginners probably on saturday afternoon (TBC after I talk with durbs)
Battle workshop on friday evening
Plus battle on friday night

The rest will probably have to be delayed as thats probably all I can manage,
so the rest will have to wait to happen at Bristol, and the nottingham 1 dayers. etc

Mind you, I'm happy to show bits and peices to anyone, and there may be sume impromptue stuff.

Smiles
Drew biggrin

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Ok the bad news is I searched high and low and can't find the flag pole. You wouldn't think it would be easy to loose a 4 ft telescopic arial but apparantly it is. This however leads to some good news as now I can bring my guitar along biggrin

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I wish the weather would sort itself out, 60 miles away in coventry tonight we've had torrentual rain, could be interesting smile

Written by: Durbs

It's all lies I tell you - LIES!

According to your intro thread you're about my age, which is interesting as I'd have put you at at least 30 wink

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: Glåss

I'm doing a CJ beginners probably on saturday afternoon (TBC after I talk with durbs)

Mind you, I'm happy to show bits and peices to anyone, and there may be sume impromptue stuff.

I spoke with him about it and can't remember what he said... I'm not sure who's doing a multiball workshop...

As for the impromptu stuff... I'll try not to bug you too much...

biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Try putting him off. It'll be much better...

Meh

Mikey BoyBRONZE Member
20 posts

Posted:
I'm currently at work and here until 7am tomorrow morning. I have to pack, get all the supplies I need, have the last shower before sunday bounce2, walk the dogs and water the plants, find out how to get where I'm going and then at some point squeeze in enough shut eyes so I dont crash on the way down or at all for that matter tomorrow night.ubbloco

Hmm, if only I had spent my youth developing a time machine.... ooooops

Hope to see you all tomorrow!!! bounce bounce

To top it all off, I'm really fidgety and cant stop counting down the seconds. So very very excited bounce

I didnt do it - no one saw me do it - you cant prove anything.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well, I been looking at the weather daily so I can do long distance maternal nags re wellies etc if needed, and it's looking up! Instead of the 'it'll be pissing down' symbol, there's now peeky sunshiney things...

Best of British!

No, maybe BEST OF SOUTH OF FRANCISH!!! sunny heart sunny heart sunny

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Ok, this may seem rather irrelevant or strange but we desperately need to know if there is a Lidl's in shrewsbury? I know there'll be other shops we can get food at but we would rather a lidl's for one of the things we need.

Cheers in advance if anyone can help with this

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Ummm, ja, I kind of left this to the last minute. Do I bring a 4l bottle of paraffin from london, or can I get in Shrewsbury? Also, where can I get benzine (NOT for spinning)?

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: Katrina

we desperately need to know if there is a Lidl's in shrewsbury?

ubblol

maybe do a Durbs could now be.. do a

lidl

(cheers for me?)

btw the ansswer seems to be, no there isn't.. but there is in nearby towns... smile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
Cheers newgabe,

Lidl's has a website? I'm impressed, if I'd knoiwn that i'd have just looked on it, but in a way that seems far too simple.

YAY! getting the train in 2 hours! ubbrollsmile

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
ooooo its raining... and im not pack... or showered... or had breakfast... its gona be a nightmare of a morning!

Will be in need of a hugging workshop when i arrive! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Can anyone up near the site tell us what the weather's like? See, down in Southampton, it's wellies weather...

"Take that, math!"

Page: ...