Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival - August 19th -> 21st *TICKETS ONSALE NOW*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello people!! wavehello

=================================

Post Festival Update

Dunc would really, really like all your feedback on the Play Festival on the PLAY web site. So post on the forum there or use the Contact Us form to give as much feedback as you can.

Dom

info update

Cost - £15

Dates - 19th - 21st August 2005

Location - Shrewsbury Agricultural Showground, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

UPDATE 23rd July 2005

Tickets now on sale, go to the website or book via telephone on 07814 018 091

Update - 5th Jan 2005

The site is now up and running at https://www.playfestival.co.uk
there is a forum included so everyone can contribute to the ideas, concepts and development of the festival as a whole. It wouldn't survive without "everyones" involvement so feel free to log on, register and let us know what you'd like from us while you're there.

And to think non of this would have started if I hadn't gotten into HoP and realised how wonderful this scene is, thank you HoP even if you did remove the link from my sig without telling me why, or even telling me rolleyes hug

Update 31st January 2005

Tickets can now be Pre-booked, up to five adult and five free childrens (u14's) can be booked, once they are released for sale you will be given a set time period to buy them before they will be offered to the public. We're still unsure what the time period will be but it will be a reasonable amount of time, such as 6 weeks, from them being released before they will be put back into the ticket pool. Everyone will be advised by email and in various public announcements of the release date well before they're out.

=====================================================

I have been thinking for a while about organising an Object Manipulation (couldn't think how else to describe it!!) Convention sometime next year, and thought this would be the best place to get the ball rolling! (pun pun)

My idea is this......a mini festival for spinners/jugglers etc that's small and laid back enough to enjoy but big and organised enough to get the most out of. Maybe a band/dj or two in a tent, a fire show each night, weekend camping and most importantly lots of workshops, idea exchanges and fun for all the family. Easy going and fun are the objectives.

It wouldn't be poi based, it would be for all object manipulators from hat juggling to ribbon dancing and everything in between and to the sides so no pigeon holing or amimosity between arts will occur.

So what I'd like to know is if I organised, laid out capital etc for a proper weekend festival (Fri -> Sun) would I get enough interest and of course people attending? I obviously can't afford it by myself but if I put up the cash the more people I expect to come the cheaper I could cost it out per person.

I'd like to hope it'd cost no more that £25 each, but obviously the more people we expect to come the cheaper we can make it, I'd much rather it was a tenner than £25! (please note attendance would be a capped limit for safety and comforts sake)

All I'd be looking for is to break even or turn a small profit so it can be piled back into the next one making it even better and also cheaper.

As they say on poipoipoi's website......"it's not capitalism.......it's spherculism"

It would be in a decent sized feild with a remote location so there would be no townie trouble but close enough for easy access from major routes.

I figure if it's in the midlands area it's probably the easiest for everyone geographically although of course it depends what venues we can find and what the consensus is.

If this is the sort of thing folks would like then yell, but please be a serious yell as I'm realistically trying to sort numbers so I can get accurate costing done. There's also a poll I've set up HERE so vote in it if you can please.

If you think it's a little OTT compared to what is generally available such as Spitz and various annual juggling conventions please say so, all opinions have the same importance smile but don't forget to vote

Thanks folks! I hope you like the idea and can help me to make it a success for all those who come *fingers crossed*

If you have any info you think I might be interested in, ie quality venues (any free party goers out there that know good locations?) any ideas for during the convention or feel there's something individual you could offer I'd really appreciate hearing about it either in this thread or by PM. It's the only way I can make sure I'm giving people what they want!

Looking forward to your comments biggrin

Thanks for reading this rather long post hug

weavesmiley juggle :staff: :ribbondance: :contactjuggle: :knifethrowing: :likwiddancing: :stiltwalking: :diablo: :bboys: :clubswinging: :wifeswapping: :etc:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
mmmmmmmmmm

biggrin

hug bounce ubbloco bounce2 ubbrollsmile ubbangel bounce ubbloco biggrin hug

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Facelessjoker

If you ask local companies ect to sponsor you then that can give you some help with the $$$ side of things.

Not a bad idea for funds but no, there will be no sponsorship for this event. Only as a very last resort if we run out of cash. As soon as companies put in money they start expecting things like returns, advertising and eventually control (to some degree) That's not our bag, this is from the people for the people, so the entire funding will be backed by me and recovered in the ticket price.

Glad there's even more people who are up for it bounce

And to everyone offering their various forms of help, from ideas to entertainment to organising, a big thanks hug2 You are indespensable and will make this the event of our dreams ubblove hug

Latest update is since Bristol Juggling Con I've decided to go for a longer doo, from Monday till Sunday hopefully *crosses fingers and various other bodily articles* at no extra cost. One person, one ticket, come and go as you please at any point in the fest biggrin

l8rs! juggle weavesmiley

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Oooooo cool. Pick a sunny week so I can lay in the grass for seven days watching the world go by, absorbing some of the skills.

hug you're a star Dunc!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ok I'll try, but Michael Fish has retired now so how can I find out? The whole metrolgoical industry is in turmoil, aparently Christopher Biggins is the only one left who can forecast but I can't find him shrug frown

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Pfffft Can't you use your powers wink to make it sunny? You are a Witch after all!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
no I'm not! It's a lie I tell you tongue

I should say that I do have plans for alternate weather occurances such as rain, which apparently we get from time to time. Personally I haven't noticed wink

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Would that be a huge glass dome that covers the whole site? Will there be a huge sunlight bulb under the glass dome that travels from east to west as the day goes on causing dawns and sunsets? And will there be a beach with realistic waves lapping onto the shore? And can we have a couple of mountains with snow caps as a backdrop?? Huh dunc? *nudge* Huh? can we ?? Huh? Huh? pleeeeeeeeease..........

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Certainly can Skully!! And, all that plus juggling for only £150,000 per person per day!

Awesome sunny

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Coooooooool! Thanks Dunc!

p.s could you lend me £10,500,000. I'd hate to miss it! ubblol

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
*digs deep in pocket*

Sorrry only fluff and stuff, so unless fluff takes on a sudden climb in the stock markets you're stuffed! And no sneaking in either young missy!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
oh poop........ frown looks like I'll be staying home and crying for a week then.... ubbcrying

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dunc

ok I'll try, but Michael Fish has retired now so how can I find out?

he what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
what? parkinson's gone to ITV the simpsons on channel 4...now this?!?!

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
yup it's true.

see I'm not lying

He's gone, for good.

Bye bye Michael wave

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Hell he always got the weather wrong anyway. Wasn't he the one that said "There isn't going to be a hurricane" the night before it hit the south coast?

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
Sort of. Poor bloke. He only said what he was told to say! smile

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

Trinenewbie
20 posts

Posted:
Hei!
wave
I`d realy like to come, think thats a very good thing!!!
But pleeeeeeaaaase do it before September as I`ll be back in Germany by than - would be a shame to miss it!
Maybe I can encourage some more people from Germany coming over for that event, will see when you`ve got place and date...
As I learn poi and juggling by now I realy looking forward to an event like this where both and others coming together weavesmiley juggle
thankx!!!!!

cainebabymember
32 posts

Posted:
i'll see if i can wizz up a few peeps from nottingham, it'd be real cool though, i'm up for it!!!!

we're thinking of holding a separte poi and fire twirling event up in nottingham's forest fields, see if we can get quite a few people to come and show us what the rest of the uk's got, u interested?

luv me
xxx

'dude you've got serious thrill issues

what kind of victory is it when someone is left defeted?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I Think (hope) that a date is one of the first things to get sorted really.

Dunc, do you think we'll get one before christmas?

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Well I'm working on early August now. First two weeks probably. Venue will be visited this week now the owner is finally back from his holidays. As soon as I can confirm the date I'll let everyone know peace

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Early August is great biggrin i'll definitely be back from canada then! Thanks Dunc! wink xxx

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Yay sounds great... if you do it near the 11th then i can celebrate my birthday there again, and it would be George's birthday near then aswell ubbangel And Rossco's...we could have anouther birthday celebration thing ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

My hairs on fireIf its got pistons or boobs, its gonna be expensive...
515 posts

Posted:
Im in the UK in August! ide love to go to sumthin like this...have a few mates back in the uk that im sure wuld love to come down too!

Henry Hill - 'One day the kids from the neighbourhood carried my mothers groceries all the way home, you know why? It was out of respect'...

ahmet_20valve_ahmet(at)hotmail(dot)com
Hope all is well : )

Trinenewbie
20 posts

Posted:
august sounds pretty good!!!
I gonna do my best to be there, will see, I`m working every second weekend, so I hope it`ll fit with my routa.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ok, there's been a little development today that could mean good things for us, keeping everything nice and within everyones price range (as the costs are vastly escalating like you wouldn't beleive) and maybe make it even betterererer than it already will be.

As you may know I'm into my VW's and every year we put on our own show, this year was our first weekender and I've been speaking to the guy who was the main organiser. We've come up with the idea of combining the two shows in the same venue (it's massive), so not only would folks get everything they'd already expect from PLAY but they'd also get lots of nice old VW's to look at.

Now don't get scared with the term "combining", the site is around 50 acres and would be clearly seperated by a large area but folks would be free to roam between the two and marketed as seperate events. So bsically if you come you get to get into another different show for free.

So far I've thought of the following ups and downs to doing this:

Good points

============

It makes it dirt cheap, we're talking less than £20 for a whole weekend including the camping/parking/brilliant shows every night/workshops/facilities/bands/everything.

The facilities are brilliant; permenant toilets, water, electricity and showers and lots of area to PLAY in (56 acres I think in total)

It's dead easy to get to by any public transport method, train and bus station within 10 minutes walk.

We get newbies to corrupt into our way of thinking

It will make it more accessable for PLAYers young and old,

We can afford a lot of top end acts each night without charging lots and lots in the tickets.

It'll give us good grounding for PLAY 2006 in an exclusive venue.

We're more likely (hopefully) to recieve arts fundings

The community feel may be even better (this is most important to me) thanks to inducting new people to the fold

The core of PLAY will still only be around 350 people to keep it real

Our camping ground will be seperated for rowdy late nighters and families will be catered for in a nice seperate family camping ground away from noise.

We will still get all night PLAYing areas inside a dedicated PLAY marquee with music.

Downers

============

The show can only be Friday to Monday, not Monday to Sunday, however this may change if I have my way wink

There will be lots of car enthusiasts as well as apposed to only jugglers/spinners etc so the focus may get a little lost and they'll obviously want to play with us.

The community feel may suffer slightly due to non dedicated attendees (my biggeest fear frown)

The VW festival is commercially based, we're non-profit based, this may cause organisational conflicts.

===================================

So what do you think guys? Would this attract you or turn you away? Would it make any difference either way?

Can you think of other ups and downs? If so post away smile

Thanks for taking the time to read this and posting your thoughts kiss

hug

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
If it will make the weekend cheaper, and more accessable then i dont see anything wrong with it.

Plus people who are into VWs are must likely to be cool people anyway?

Where abouts would this be held anyway? I mean if you do combine the 2?

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I think it's doable, the Monday to Sunday thing means that you'll end up with less people there at any one time anyway.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I like the idea! If it makes it more likely to happen I say do it.

Upside:-

With lots of people that have never spun or thought of spinning there, I won't be the worst spinner in town. YAY!

I might meet a man/woman named Bob that wants to travel the world in a van! (yes I know these are all personal upsides ubblol and you might have to read my intro to understand this one. )

Downside:-

How much are the VW crowd having to pay to get in? If they have to pay vastly more than the spinning community it might not go down too well OR they might try to get in through a spinning ticket rather than a VW ticket thus taking up the spinning/juggling communities quoter of tickets.(did that make any sense? It did in my head but in text it looks wrong)

offtopic Spiralx, I want you to question fatmouse to see if he knows where I left my gloves.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hiya Skully, the cost will be exactly the same for both festies or we'd have the massive problems you posted about (yes it made sense, yes we've already thought about it).

Date and location are now set (although not quite cast in stone) as you can see in the thread title.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
smile

skin up then.

kiss

and will there be beautiful ladies in danger too? wink

Page: ...