Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival - August 19th -> 21st *TICKETS ONSALE NOW*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello people!! wavehello

=================================

Post Festival Update

Dunc would really, really like all your feedback on the Play Festival on the PLAY web site. So post on the forum there or use the Contact Us form to give as much feedback as you can.

Dom

info update

Cost - £15

Dates - 19th - 21st August 2005

Location - Shrewsbury Agricultural Showground, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

UPDATE 23rd July 2005

Tickets now on sale, go to the website or book via telephone on 07814 018 091

Update - 5th Jan 2005

The site is now up and running at https://www.playfestival.co.uk
there is a forum included so everyone can contribute to the ideas, concepts and development of the festival as a whole. It wouldn't survive without "everyones" involvement so feel free to log on, register and let us know what you'd like from us while you're there.

And to think non of this would have started if I hadn't gotten into HoP and realised how wonderful this scene is, thank you HoP even if you did remove the link from my sig without telling me why, or even telling me rolleyes hug

Update 31st January 2005

Tickets can now be Pre-booked, up to five adult and five free childrens (u14's) can be booked, once they are released for sale you will be given a set time period to buy them before they will be offered to the public. We're still unsure what the time period will be but it will be a reasonable amount of time, such as 6 weeks, from them being released before they will be put back into the ticket pool. Everyone will be advised by email and in various public announcements of the release date well before they're out.

=====================================================

I have been thinking for a while about organising an Object Manipulation (couldn't think how else to describe it!!) Convention sometime next year, and thought this would be the best place to get the ball rolling! (pun pun)

My idea is this......a mini festival for spinners/jugglers etc that's small and laid back enough to enjoy but big and organised enough to get the most out of. Maybe a band/dj or two in a tent, a fire show each night, weekend camping and most importantly lots of workshops, idea exchanges and fun for all the family. Easy going and fun are the objectives.

It wouldn't be poi based, it would be for all object manipulators from hat juggling to ribbon dancing and everything in between and to the sides so no pigeon holing or amimosity between arts will occur.

So what I'd like to know is if I organised, laid out capital etc for a proper weekend festival (Fri -> Sun) would I get enough interest and of course people attending? I obviously can't afford it by myself but if I put up the cash the more people I expect to come the cheaper I could cost it out per person.

I'd like to hope it'd cost no more that £25 each, but obviously the more people we expect to come the cheaper we can make it, I'd much rather it was a tenner than £25! (please note attendance would be a capped limit for safety and comforts sake)

All I'd be looking for is to break even or turn a small profit so it can be piled back into the next one making it even better and also cheaper.

As they say on poipoipoi's website......"it's not capitalism.......it's spherculism"

It would be in a decent sized feild with a remote location so there would be no townie trouble but close enough for easy access from major routes.

I figure if it's in the midlands area it's probably the easiest for everyone geographically although of course it depends what venues we can find and what the consensus is.

If this is the sort of thing folks would like then yell, but please be a serious yell as I'm realistically trying to sort numbers so I can get accurate costing done. There's also a poll I've set up HERE so vote in it if you can please.

If you think it's a little OTT compared to what is generally available such as Spitz and various annual juggling conventions please say so, all opinions have the same importance smile but don't forget to vote

Thanks folks! I hope you like the idea and can help me to make it a success for all those who come *fingers crossed*

If you have any info you think I might be interested in, ie quality venues (any free party goers out there that know good locations?) any ideas for during the convention or feel there's something individual you could offer I'd really appreciate hearing about it either in this thread or by PM. It's the only way I can make sure I'm giving people what they want!

Looking forward to your comments biggrin

Thanks for reading this rather long post hug

weavesmiley juggle :staff: :ribbondance: :contactjuggle: :knifethrowing: :likwiddancing: :stiltwalking: :diablo: :bboys: :clubswinging: :wifeswapping: :etc:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
yeay ticket paid for biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

Non-Https Image Link

just slightly excited now!!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Durbs - You have nowt to worry about!!

I've seen you contact Juggle many a time (in fact, a lot of my moves came from you) And I know you can pull off some amazing stuff!!

You say 'I'm gonna be performing in front of some of the best jugglers in the world'. You are also one of those. These people are also your friends. They're not scary when you're just playing around in front of your friends.

I know you'll be fine!! hug

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
*bounce bounce bounce*

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"You say 'I'm gonna be performing in front of some of the best jugglers in the world'. You are also one of those. These people are also your friends. They're not scary when you're just playing around in front of your friends."

Yep. Agree with that.

smile

Getting to the other side smile

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Indeed, I think fellow jugglers & performers are the best audience because they understand what you're doing. And they understand that drops and mess ups happen to everyone. But they're also really fussy and expecting something above a general public performance.

Or, if that's no help, remember that all the real jugglers & performers are going to be at the EJC anyway. wink

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
nana

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, nonsense, the real jugglers and performers are driving me up from the airport

biggrin

hug

Getting to the other side smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I actually said "In the UK" not the world...
But meh, the sentiments the same...

Dom hit the nail on the head "...and expecting something above a general public performance"

Although I don't really do liquid-crystal in public, so in a way I'm getting around this wink

*goes outside to practise gliding on grass*

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
Written by: loves the circus

They're not scary when you're just playing around in front of your friends.

what da ya mean? lauz still has nightmares from seeing me tongue

... oh you mean being mean at your proformance? you'll be fine smile

hee hee smile not long now cant wait - and i can nearly juggle woohoo biggrin

-*bounces a bit

back

caroline.knewbie
1 post

Posted:
Hey, lookin forward to seeing you guys at the Play fest....will be recieving our tickets soon ....cant wait cool

What I have learned is but a handful of earth. What is left unlearned is the earth itself.

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by fireflyz

who ate all the poi's?

How much of a difference will YOU make to the world today?

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
ummm, dunc. i have ordered my tickets but have yet to post the check it will be done soon, i just hope it gets there in time.

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
pigeeeeeon sam told me he could get the evening off. and will be at your house by 3.10pm.
apparently

but you might already know that..

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
It's ok you can meet me at New Street. After your three hour journey. I will bring chocolate and hugs.xxx

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
i suggest he pulls like sicky like me biggrin

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
hehehe

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
GLOW STICKS ON SALE AT PLAY******************
I'm getting a load of glow sticks for play they will be on sale for a quid each just look for the mothership
view the mothership at

www.fireflyz.co.uk/mothership

a portion of the takings will be put back into play festival for next years festival for a bigger and better festival of fiery fun!!!! ubbloco

10 days and counting

who ate all the poi's?

How much of a difference will YOU make to the world today?

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I'm in...

I'll be there friday evening, i'll be coming straight from work too!

6.30ish, with speciality teas and (i promise this time!!!) brownies!

As i now have time to cook em!

If there's anyone who needs a lift, from anywhere on the A41 ish theyre more then welcome!

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Oooo will there be Glutin free ones too?

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
erm peat any chance of a lif mate i was going to get the train but seing as you are going now :-)

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

*starts thinking up some good heckles for Durbs*

wink tongue

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
When will we know what days the workshops are on? As I'm not getting there until Saturday it'd be nice to know...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
ooo. im all nervous for meeting everybody!
*bounce*

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
We need name tags!

Yes I do have a strange addiction to name stickers! biggrin

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I have nothing to add to this thread other than a rather offensive smell.

tongue

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Peeyoueee

There is a list of workshops i think on the play festival site

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
name tags are the sex.
I went around yesterday with a post-it note stuck to my forhead which said 'turnip'
I shall have my Hastings Spin t-shirt before play. It will have my name on the back. I need no labels smile

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
I still have my Skully-brand Falmouth nametag, so I shall wear it with pride. It has a sock on it. biggrin

"Take that, math!"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Im wearing my Skully brand name badger too.

smile

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ditto

even though she spelt my name wrong - its a classy name tag as is a great survivor of the washing machine...... smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Page: ......