Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival - August 19th -> 21st *TICKETS ONSALE NOW*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello people!! wavehello

=================================

Post Festival Update

Dunc would really, really like all your feedback on the Play Festival on the PLAY web site. So post on the forum there or use the Contact Us form to give as much feedback as you can.

Dom

info update

Cost - £15

Dates - 19th - 21st August 2005

Location - Shrewsbury Agricultural Showground, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

UPDATE 23rd July 2005

Tickets now on sale, go to the website or book via telephone on 07814 018 091

Update - 5th Jan 2005

The site is now up and running at https://www.playfestival.co.uk
there is a forum included so everyone can contribute to the ideas, concepts and development of the festival as a whole. It wouldn't survive without "everyones" involvement so feel free to log on, register and let us know what you'd like from us while you're there.

And to think non of this would have started if I hadn't gotten into HoP and realised how wonderful this scene is, thank you HoP even if you did remove the link from my sig without telling me why, or even telling me rolleyes hug

Update 31st January 2005

Tickets can now be Pre-booked, up to five adult and five free childrens (u14's) can be booked, once they are released for sale you will be given a set time period to buy them before they will be offered to the public. We're still unsure what the time period will be but it will be a reasonable amount of time, such as 6 weeks, from them being released before they will be put back into the ticket pool. Everyone will be advised by email and in various public announcements of the release date well before they're out.

=====================================================

I have been thinking for a while about organising an Object Manipulation (couldn't think how else to describe it!!) Convention sometime next year, and thought this would be the best place to get the ball rolling! (pun pun)

My idea is this......a mini festival for spinners/jugglers etc that's small and laid back enough to enjoy but big and organised enough to get the most out of. Maybe a band/dj or two in a tent, a fire show each night, weekend camping and most importantly lots of workshops, idea exchanges and fun for all the family. Easy going and fun are the objectives.

It wouldn't be poi based, it would be for all object manipulators from hat juggling to ribbon dancing and everything in between and to the sides so no pigeon holing or amimosity between arts will occur.

So what I'd like to know is if I organised, laid out capital etc for a proper weekend festival (Fri -> Sun) would I get enough interest and of course people attending? I obviously can't afford it by myself but if I put up the cash the more people I expect to come the cheaper I could cost it out per person.

I'd like to hope it'd cost no more that £25 each, but obviously the more people we expect to come the cheaper we can make it, I'd much rather it was a tenner than £25! (please note attendance would be a capped limit for safety and comforts sake)

All I'd be looking for is to break even or turn a small profit so it can be piled back into the next one making it even better and also cheaper.

As they say on poipoipoi's website......"it's not capitalism.......it's spherculism"

It would be in a decent sized feild with a remote location so there would be no townie trouble but close enough for easy access from major routes.

I figure if it's in the midlands area it's probably the easiest for everyone geographically although of course it depends what venues we can find and what the consensus is.

If this is the sort of thing folks would like then yell, but please be a serious yell as I'm realistically trying to sort numbers so I can get accurate costing done. There's also a poll I've set up HERE so vote in it if you can please.

If you think it's a little OTT compared to what is generally available such as Spitz and various annual juggling conventions please say so, all opinions have the same importance smile but don't forget to vote

Thanks folks! I hope you like the idea and can help me to make it a success for all those who come *fingers crossed*

If you have any info you think I might be interested in, ie quality venues (any free party goers out there that know good locations?) any ideas for during the convention or feel there's something individual you could offer I'd really appreciate hearing about it either in this thread or by PM. It's the only way I can make sure I'm giving people what they want!

Looking forward to your comments biggrin

Thanks for reading this rather long post hug

weavesmiley juggle :staff: :ribbondance: :contactjuggle: :knifethrowing: :likwiddancing: :stiltwalking: :diablo: :bboys: :clubswinging: :wifeswapping: :etc:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
the tape is twice the amount of the ruddy hoop!
I'll bring my own wink

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
wow now i can just watch meg at play to save me downloadin the vids later

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Written by: Vixen

Wow of course i would pay you... i would of offered anyway... but it might mean that you have to help me!! xxx

I'll help you Vixen smile

The tape is all fabricy and matt (ahem wink ) so it helps give you a bit more friction for tricky tricks.
(I prefer this to nakedness or jam)
.AND some of the colours are UV ubblove

oh and for those planning to hoop lots this weekend bring some arnica! You'd be amazed how bruised you can get without ever actually hitting yourself.

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
hey has anyone got a spare tent or spare tent space for our lovely mr justwalk? i know theres was a few mentions before but not sure who said what, any offers of help? smile

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
UV? I'm tempted..

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Thank you Molly... And NYC... and Star! Wow im really happy!!! I just hope garthy doesnt mind sharing his tent with me AND a hoop! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
garthy's not normally picky about what random toys girls bring to his tent... wink

mech - me too smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Yep vix they are the purple ones. hope thats ok
and i'll make sure you get a hoop! ubbrollsmile

NYC i would be happy to give you some money for some tape biggrin

aagghhh i really need to start packing some stuff now!

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Aimee - pink, yellow or orange UV in a mixture of thick and thin smile and the white I suppose.

I'm going to go watch some hoopy videos to get properly in the mood I think biggrin

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Star... have they been tweaked a little bit?
Cole..... ahhh!

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

Sym_ please tell me you are messing about. I have my sister and Niece ready and waiting to go. If we weren't wanted as face painters any more someone could have at least told us so that we didn't spend £50 on facepaints and so we could have bought tickets instead.

I believe Sym was confused because he thought you were accusing him of being a face painter not enquiring as one yourself. Not enough commas in your initial post methinks smile hug

Meh

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
yep, they are heavier now. seem to work better smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: *Aimée*

the tape is twice the amount of the ruddy hoop!

The tape is always more expensive than the hoop. I spent about 4 times as much on tape as tubing. But then lugging the tubing out here from America was much more difficult.

All the information on buying hoop and tape directly from America is in the "Other Toys" section posted by my buddy RBM.

I bought the expensive tape because I liked the way it looked. If people want to buy some from me, they can. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Cantus, thanks, thats what I though! PM send, I hope all is well! :S

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
biggrin Molly, NYC - I am soooo excited! ubbloco

I also have a ready supply of arnica gel for my slightly-less-impressively-multicoloured-than-it-was-last-weekend black eye biggrin

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

3,638 posts

Posted:
Incidentally - I ubblove U Skully.................

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
really? what did I do?..... oh faery 'get well soon' dust..... you're welcome hun. I hope it helps biggrin

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
This may have been discussed already, but i'm too lazy to do a search (quote me on that if you want smile )

Will it be obvious when we arrive tomorrow where to go? Do we go to the VW festival gate or is there a seperate one? Is it obvious, like is there a fence around the festival?

We're aiming to be there around 12 (like the eager beavers we are), to nick the best camping spot.

3,638 posts

Posted:
you should have had an email with the site plan? It shows the gates............. biggrin see you tomorrow (the PLAY gate is beyond the VW gate......)

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
i didnt get one in my e-mail frown can anyone send one to me? pweese smile

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Whats arnica gel? xxx

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
oh yea, email, cunning smile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I don't have an email either can someone send me a copy too?

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pigeon_Wigeon

biggrin I cant wait!!! WOO WOO!! Me Linden and Aimee now have a lift up.. so savin money biggrin

wassis? a lift? that would be quite cool

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
The guide can be found at:

https://www.playfestival.co.uk/guide.pdf

And the email can be read at:

https://www.playfestival.co.uk/modules/wordpress/index.php?p=12

See the Venue page for driving and train directions. See everyone tomorrow - we're about to head off to the site now for the night biggrin

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
I've really messed up and forgot to pay - sooooo ashamed redface - soooo sorry. Does anyone know if we can pay at the gate?

Stoo.

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
yeah you can pay at the gate smile

Creater of Jenisms(TM)

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Yes, as the email said, you can pay on the gate. Please try to have the correct money with you to save us running out of change!

All you need is your ticket numbers and 1 other bit of information like postcode so we know you are you!

:d

hug

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Yes Stoo you can I believe pay at the gate.

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Cheers biggrin

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

Page: ......