Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival - August 19th -> 21st *TICKETS ONSALE NOW*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello people!! wavehello

=================================

Post Festival Update

Dunc would really, really like all your feedback on the Play Festival on the PLAY web site. So post on the forum there or use the Contact Us form to give as much feedback as you can.

Dom

info update

Cost - £15

Dates - 19th - 21st August 2005

Location - Shrewsbury Agricultural Showground, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

UPDATE 23rd July 2005

Tickets now on sale, go to the website or book via telephone on 07814 018 091

Update - 5th Jan 2005

The site is now up and running at https://www.playfestival.co.uk
there is a forum included so everyone can contribute to the ideas, concepts and development of the festival as a whole. It wouldn't survive without "everyones" involvement so feel free to log on, register and let us know what you'd like from us while you're there.

And to think non of this would have started if I hadn't gotten into HoP and realised how wonderful this scene is, thank you HoP even if you did remove the link from my sig without telling me why, or even telling me rolleyes hug

Update 31st January 2005

Tickets can now be Pre-booked, up to five adult and five free childrens (u14's) can be booked, once they are released for sale you will be given a set time period to buy them before they will be offered to the public. We're still unsure what the time period will be but it will be a reasonable amount of time, such as 6 weeks, from them being released before they will be put back into the ticket pool. Everyone will be advised by email and in various public announcements of the release date well before they're out.

=====================================================

I have been thinking for a while about organising an Object Manipulation (couldn't think how else to describe it!!) Convention sometime next year, and thought this would be the best place to get the ball rolling! (pun pun)

My idea is this......a mini festival for spinners/jugglers etc that's small and laid back enough to enjoy but big and organised enough to get the most out of. Maybe a band/dj or two in a tent, a fire show each night, weekend camping and most importantly lots of workshops, idea exchanges and fun for all the family. Easy going and fun are the objectives.

It wouldn't be poi based, it would be for all object manipulators from hat juggling to ribbon dancing and everything in between and to the sides so no pigeon holing or amimosity between arts will occur.

So what I'd like to know is if I organised, laid out capital etc for a proper weekend festival (Fri -> Sun) would I get enough interest and of course people attending? I obviously can't afford it by myself but if I put up the cash the more people I expect to come the cheaper I could cost it out per person.

I'd like to hope it'd cost no more that £25 each, but obviously the more people we expect to come the cheaper we can make it, I'd much rather it was a tenner than £25! (please note attendance would be a capped limit for safety and comforts sake)

All I'd be looking for is to break even or turn a small profit so it can be piled back into the next one making it even better and also cheaper.

As they say on poipoipoi's website......"it's not capitalism.......it's spherculism"

It would be in a decent sized feild with a remote location so there would be no townie trouble but close enough for easy access from major routes.

I figure if it's in the midlands area it's probably the easiest for everyone geographically although of course it depends what venues we can find and what the consensus is.

If this is the sort of thing folks would like then yell, but please be a serious yell as I'm realistically trying to sort numbers so I can get accurate costing done. There's also a poll I've set up HERE so vote in it if you can please.

If you think it's a little OTT compared to what is generally available such as Spitz and various annual juggling conventions please say so, all opinions have the same importance smile but don't forget to vote

Thanks folks! I hope you like the idea and can help me to make it a success for all those who come *fingers crossed*

If you have any info you think I might be interested in, ie quality venues (any free party goers out there that know good locations?) any ideas for during the convention or feel there's something individual you could offer I'd really appreciate hearing about it either in this thread or by PM. It's the only way I can make sure I'm giving people what they want!

Looking forward to your comments biggrin

Thanks for reading this rather long post hug

weavesmiley juggle :staff: :ribbondance: :contactjuggle: :knifethrowing: :likwiddancing: :stiltwalking: :diablo: :bboys: :clubswinging: :wifeswapping: :etc:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
I cant believe i havent seen this thread until now!

I will be there with bells on me dear, spinning and juggling and the like. I have lots of new poi moves that i hope i will have perfected by then so i might be a bit better than i was at falmouth wink

I cant offer a band... or incredible spinning/juggling skills... but i can offer a bar of chocolate to the wonderful Bug, any preferences on choccy? biggrin

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Written by: Custom Bug

Jon almost naked one morning (you don't wanna know)

erm..this is news to me..

When was that?

Or why cant i remember?

hankyGOLD Member
117 posts

Posted:
hey this all sounds great and if i'm in the country i'll definately be going even if it kills me to get there!!!! or if i have no money or tent (hey frodo!)
keep with the updates on the venue date and i do like 'PLAY'
can't really help with the organising but i will be a year into my degree in photography and (although amature) would be glad to take some shots to get the atmosphere for post-web and future advertising if its a hit for another event 'PLAY 2'
as a begginner in all spinny and juggly things i feel there should be more of these type of wide-interest events and credit to u for ur dedication clap

it's a mad world...and i love it!!!

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Hey Bug!
Im going, even if its three guys in a field!
PLAY is just good, as for promo, get a couple of flyers up in places where the jugglers meet, for example circus training venues etc like "The Circus Space" in London, and the one in Rochdale...
If you want cool venues, if you havent got one yet, anywhere in the Peak District would have cool views to spin against, and be far enough from major settlements to cause problems with the authorities...
Im a noob, but count me in...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
wahay count me in! i read the first page and the last page of this thread so if i've missed out on anything give me a slap for asking these but have we any idea of a rough date? month?? am def up for it, the midlands sounds good cos i guess thats kind of inbetween the north n south,.... hmmm i guess thats why its called the midlands, clever that ho ho ho

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

gbarlow5member
35 posts

Posted:
Alright Custom Bug,

I like the idea of a spinners convention and I'm sure a load of people from my way would be up for coming. I also know a couple of dj's that would be up for coming, might possibly be able to get a couple of K sound system and marquee, I'll ask around.

As for your 1st request for helping with the website, there's plenty of cheap places to host, and I'm not promising anything here but there is a slight possibility I might be able to get a domain name registered on the cheap if not free through work. I can help in designing the website for you, just content is not my strong part.

As for names ain't got a clue but if you do think up a good one let me know and I'll find out if we can get it registered as a domain for the site.

Let us know if you need a hand.

-- WHEN FEEDOM IS OUTLAWED, ONLY OUTLAWS WILL BE FREE

-- Tom Robins

gbarlow5member
35 posts

Posted:
Could always ask Survival Sound System from Bucks if they would be up for it --- they got a huge rig, 2 of them.

Drum & Bass, Acid Tekno, PsyTrance & Dub

Bands are a possibility to, would have to ask around.

-- WHEN FEEDOM IS OUTLAWED, ONLY OUTLAWS WILL BE FREE

-- Tom Robins

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: Custom Bug

well, having seen Fro naked, Vixen virtually naked and Jon almost naked one morning (you don't wanna know) I'd say you're all banned apart from Vix who will have to wear kiss-me-for-a-pound T-shirt to raise funds for PLAY!!

Brilliant biggrin

thats bad ass!

i havent been banned! biggrin

Step (el-nombrie)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Not yet step eek

Written by: Urology Centre of Florida

Jon almost naked one morning (you don't wanna know)

erm..this is news to me..

When was that?

Or why cant i remember?

At your housewarming, early hours of the AM not long after waking, I go to the kitchen to get a drinky and find you naked except your kecks and a large smile. I said smile wink

=============================

Glad folks are still showing their interest!! It'll be limited edition at this rate wink ubblol

As for rough dates, we're loking at July -> August time trying not to clash with too many other events as it were. Location....it'll be the midlands if we can find a suitable place close to trains/buses/main roads etc but far enough away if you get my drift. We'll probably have a little bus for the car-less contingency from the nearest train station so don't worry if you're not driving.

Man I'm so stoked with all this, plans are getting fully underway this week so keep your eyes peeled for updates in the next couple weeks. If they don't come give me a kick wink

Oh and Beth, aren't I sweet enough already ubbangel

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
bug, depends on were you are thinking mate, but i have a couple of ideas on wer eyou could prob run this gig?

Step (el-nombrie)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
pm/email me then good buddy and we'll add it to the already bulgening list of houses, stately homes, ramdom feilds and currently used venues.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
bug my dear, may i make a small request on the dates?

I'm going to be travelling for most of june and july so is it possible to make the spinny festie (and a falmouth!) in august??? pleeeeease coz i really really really want to go *hopes*

hug

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

JakBJCmember
117 posts

Posted:
Its seems this festie hasn't really got too much focus...

There is loads of talk about music and rigs, good thing, especially if it were a music festival wink but the numbers expected to attend seems a little blurred. an earlier post suggested 200? this seems tiny considering the potensual this has.

I've mentioned a HoP fest which would enable all the people on the site to meet each other. (you may have noticed a few threads on people feeling like outsiders) this would make a great 'community' thing for all the HoPers. This could also mean that tickets could be sold through the HoP shop?? if you ask them nicely smile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
If it were to be an open event with tickets on sale it would have to have loads of insurance and other rules and regs come into force. If it is run as an "invited" party it gets round a few of those regs and such. Besides its better to start small and get it right and then increase the size in future years than got all out bust on a big festival and have it maybe fall flat on its face leaving the backers out of pocket to the tune of ...... well think of a large sum of money and double it. Small is beautiful!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

JakBJCmember
117 posts

Posted:
On the invitations front, all HoP users could be invited via the site and then they can register/pay to recieve their 'invitations'. Otherwise this event could become very inclusive.

And i do agree that a big event is a huge gamble on success but i'm not saying it should become very big. just a little more than a private party smile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Are you willing to stump up the cash that would take to set up?

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
Wow must have been blind to not have seen this thread!!!!!!
Nice one dunc MARVELOUS idea!!

Found a possible venue https://www.tutburycastle.com/
this place gets rented out for weddings and such like not sure what type of prices like but its an idea. Its about 15 mins from my house and the place is beatiful set on the edge of a qiuet village near main roads there are pubs shops and all sorts. The views are breathtaking from there to.
They have a seperate car park and field(possibly for camping) and about 200 yards away is the castle. As you can see from the website they have all sorts of events there like medival stuff and the like.
Theres only 1 way in and out by car so having people on the gate would be easy to keep out chavies.
We did our first spin there and it went down well.

just an idea!! ubbidea

who ate all the poi's?

How much of a difference will YOU make to the world today?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hiya guys, sorry I wrote a big reply to this yesterday but my stoopid works pc crashed when I posted it rolleyes

Basically, this is an open festival, the invitation thing is only 1 idea of many to make it as easy and cheap as possible, especially with the many legalities involved in doing something like this. "Invitation" would only be wording anyway to help certain legal issues, they would still be sold on frist come first served basis, no special treatment or prioritisation for anyone, that wouldn't be fair. To do it totally legally will be very expensive, much more than I initially realised but still not out of reach.

Hopefully, attendees will be around 2-300, if we instantly sell out then maybe more but it won't be big at all. If it's too big the communal, personal feel will be totally lost and that will ruin the whole point of doing it.

Focus hasn't been lost at all Ghost, just becuase I'm not posting in here every day doesn't mean stuff isn't happenning, but it's all background research etc and a lot of learning for me that isn't really interesting reading nor usefull to anyone else until it's confirmed info if you catch my drift.

One thing tho, an important thing, this isnt a HoP thing, HoP is merely one place of many that I've put feelers about to see what the general public reaction is. (which so far is as great) We're plying jugglers, circus performers, as many different kinds of object manipulators as we can find really, not just spinners. Nor will tickets be sold through HoP or any other commercial venture. There will be no corporate involvement/sponsorship/advertising so it's all off my own back, I'm risking a lot if it all happens and don't particularly fancy being bankrupt at 28! So focus, especially by me, won't be lost until the day I go home and fall asleep once it's finished and packed away, waking up the next day to start planning the next one of course!! smile

More info on the festival will be available once the website is up and running, and that's where all updates will be too, but this won't happen until the biggest hurdle is overcome, the venue. We've seen tons of good places, and thanks Mike, that looks like an awesome venue you posted. I'll happily add it to the list of many prospectives biggrin I have one to look at this weekend and with a bit of luck it'll be perfect. For anyone who went apparently its very similar in size to BJC but with less facilities.

As for the "outsider" feelings, this isn't to help nor hinder or even be involved in that, as I said this isn't a HoP thing. Personally, I think if you feel like an outsider try to make some friends, get off your ass into your car/on the train/on a bus and go meet some people from here for a spin. That's what I did and reckon it was the best way to add an extra 3000 miles onto GeorgeB's car this year! ubbangel That's why this isn't in the social section and it's nothing directly to do with HoP social circles either, if only HoPpers turned up it'd be a weekend of 90% spinning, would anyone want to pay for that?? I wouldn't!

Keep ideas flowing tho guys, the more I hear what's wanted the more I know what to try and give people

hug weavesmiley juggle kiss

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Just had a thought - the "invitiation" thing... Another way round it is what Firetoys did. You buy membership to the PLAY "club" and then it's a private members only event.

This might have been mentioned before

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Dunc, don't worry not all of us think you have given up or are wasting your time. I'm grateful to you for doing this. I think its a fantastic idea. Like I said before if you need anyone to do stuff just ask. Do you have anyone designing fliers/invites/posters/ etc? I'm not the best artist in the world but I'll give it a go and send you some ideas if you like. Tell me what you want to encapsulate with it and I'll draw up some roughs.

Durbs I think that could work well. You might find some people that aren't even able to come, but think its worth supporting, would subscribe as members as well. You never know!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
No Durbs no-one has suggested that, but with current laws there's actually little difference between a private or public function when there's over 100 people in attendance should the police want to shut it down, which sucks and might be why I have to make it a normal fully legal thing. Which isn't to bad but it just means mo money mo money mo money.

Thanks for the offer skully but that part of it is well in hand, the logo is designed and everything. Background for the flyers is done (well, on paper by moi) but we obviously can't add info for a few months until things are sorted. If you have any ideas jot them down and email me, I'm always happy to look at new things smile hug

I reckon proper promotion will start in the Spring, to early means peeps forget and make other plans, to late means other plans are already made. Tis a tricky thing this organising mullarky you know! biggrin

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Oooooooooooo can I have a sneak preview? Or if you show me , would you have to kill me?

JakBJCmember
117 posts

Posted:
Sorry Dunc. I wasn't trying to change what you were doing, I was looking for a HoP kind of event and this thread was added linked to a thread i was reading so i thought this was what i was looking for. Its close but not quite, none the less good luck in the organisation and i hope it goes well.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Cheers Ghost, me too!! biggrin be sure to keep your eye out for when the tickets are on sale, there will be HoPpers there no doubt.....well there'd better be or they'll all get a spank

Skully, of course you can have a sneak preview, just before I kill you wink

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
pfffffft I'm not ready to die just yet thanks Dunc, but I'll be sure to keep you in mind if or when I am!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
As you just mentioned should the police want to take action the "invitation only" thing won't stop them at all, it offers no real legal protection at all.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
no, not at all. It was just an idea at the outset but I doub't it'll happen now.

So onwards with normal procedures! biggrin

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
I might need to pre-reserve a ticket, i dont want to miss out but i may be in canada when they go on sale! Dont forget me Dunc me dear! wink

wouacGOLD Member
Poi-tato
183 posts

Posted:
sounds like a wicked idea to me though im in canada and who nows how I would afford it but I say the more money that it costs just get people to start sponsoring even if they can only send in like 25 bucks its all Good i would gladly throw some money at an event like that, anything to further my ability and meet awesome new people while im at it im down for

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potato's.

FacelessjokerBRONZE Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Heheh cool, i was thinking about doing somethinglike this alil while ago but i had no idea where to begin.
I was going to say exactly what wouac said, If you ask local companies ect to sponsor you then that can give you some help with the $$$ side of things.

Page: ...