Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival - August 19th -> 21st *TICKETS ONSALE NOW*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello people!! wavehello

=================================

Post Festival Update

Dunc would really, really like all your feedback on the Play Festival on the PLAY web site. So post on the forum there or use the Contact Us form to give as much feedback as you can.

Dom

info update

Cost - £15

Dates - 19th - 21st August 2005

Location - Shrewsbury Agricultural Showground, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

UPDATE 23rd July 2005

Tickets now on sale, go to the website or book via telephone on 07814 018 091

Update - 5th Jan 2005

The site is now up and running at https://www.playfestival.co.uk
there is a forum included so everyone can contribute to the ideas, concepts and development of the festival as a whole. It wouldn't survive without "everyones" involvement so feel free to log on, register and let us know what you'd like from us while you're there.

And to think non of this would have started if I hadn't gotten into HoP and realised how wonderful this scene is, thank you HoP even if you did remove the link from my sig without telling me why, or even telling me rolleyes hug

Update 31st January 2005

Tickets can now be Pre-booked, up to five adult and five free childrens (u14's) can be booked, once they are released for sale you will be given a set time period to buy them before they will be offered to the public. We're still unsure what the time period will be but it will be a reasonable amount of time, such as 6 weeks, from them being released before they will be put back into the ticket pool. Everyone will be advised by email and in various public announcements of the release date well before they're out.

=====================================================

I have been thinking for a while about organising an Object Manipulation (couldn't think how else to describe it!!) Convention sometime next year, and thought this would be the best place to get the ball rolling! (pun pun)

My idea is this......a mini festival for spinners/jugglers etc that's small and laid back enough to enjoy but big and organised enough to get the most out of. Maybe a band/dj or two in a tent, a fire show each night, weekend camping and most importantly lots of workshops, idea exchanges and fun for all the family. Easy going and fun are the objectives.

It wouldn't be poi based, it would be for all object manipulators from hat juggling to ribbon dancing and everything in between and to the sides so no pigeon holing or amimosity between arts will occur.

So what I'd like to know is if I organised, laid out capital etc for a proper weekend festival (Fri -> Sun) would I get enough interest and of course people attending? I obviously can't afford it by myself but if I put up the cash the more people I expect to come the cheaper I could cost it out per person.

I'd like to hope it'd cost no more that £25 each, but obviously the more people we expect to come the cheaper we can make it, I'd much rather it was a tenner than £25! (please note attendance would be a capped limit for safety and comforts sake)

All I'd be looking for is to break even or turn a small profit so it can be piled back into the next one making it even better and also cheaper.

As they say on poipoipoi's website......"it's not capitalism.......it's spherculism"

It would be in a decent sized feild with a remote location so there would be no townie trouble but close enough for easy access from major routes.

I figure if it's in the midlands area it's probably the easiest for everyone geographically although of course it depends what venues we can find and what the consensus is.

If this is the sort of thing folks would like then yell, but please be a serious yell as I'm realistically trying to sort numbers so I can get accurate costing done. There's also a poll I've set up HERE so vote in it if you can please.

If you think it's a little OTT compared to what is generally available such as Spitz and various annual juggling conventions please say so, all opinions have the same importance smile but don't forget to vote

Thanks folks! I hope you like the idea and can help me to make it a success for all those who come *fingers crossed*

If you have any info you think I might be interested in, ie quality venues (any free party goers out there that know good locations?) any ideas for during the convention or feel there's something individual you could offer I'd really appreciate hearing about it either in this thread or by PM. It's the only way I can make sure I'm giving people what they want!

Looking forward to your comments biggrin

Thanks for reading this rather long post hug

weavesmiley juggle :staff: :ribbondance: :contactjuggle: :knifethrowing: :likwiddancing: :stiltwalking: :diablo: :bboys: :clubswinging: :wifeswapping: :etc:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
bounce not long now... 3 sleeps eek

my costumes are ready and looking good smile

will be stealing tiger balm for the event smile

tis gunna be awsome biggrin

back

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
re: Brum : I'll be leaving from brum around 6pm ish. I have to work till 6 but I work in Digbeth so like 10 mins from new street station.

re: name badge : Yay, *feels special*

re: lightsaber : possible certainty (sp?)

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
linden - costumes? how many are you taking???

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
ok due to being bored in work again this morning I made a few more name badges for those that either lost theirs, never had one or have the name spelt wrongly on them redface

I've done ones for

Ahhmay

Aimée

Dunc

Flid

George

Jo Rhymes

LavaTwilight

Linden Rathen

Mech

Molly

Narr

Noodles

NYC

Pigeon Wigeon

Sir Sheep

Spiralx

StrugZ

Sym_

Yoni

If I've missed you out I'm sorry. Post up here before morning comes and I'll try again tomorrow to do a few. biggrin

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
This really takes the biscuit
Kieron is trying to get me ring up his work for to tell him that he has concussion from a rebel poi head swung by me. Which isn't true.
I'm not doing it. nope never.
Anybody want to ring kierons boss up during play to tell them that he has concussion and wont be in on sunday? Hands up anyone?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
biggrin Thanks!

I don't need the underscore behind my name though, thats only there because of a glitch with the HoP forum confused

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
i'll do it for you. can make it gory and everything if you like (his head actually fell off - that sort of thing!)
EDITED_BY: bchickpea (1124221456)

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
too late Sym_ you already have one ubblol

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
is Mr NYC coming to play then?

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
https://playfestival.wikispaces.org/

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Aww skully you didnt have to do that!

hug hug biggrin biggrin

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I still have my Namebadge from Fal 4. But if you want to, skully, You can make me another one, so that I feel special... Then I can have two and make all the other kids jealous... Oooh, I wonder what picture it'll have on it this time...

wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
I was joking, she'd be far too embarrassed after beating me with her poi to be convinced wink

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i'm goin to have 2 anyway now cos pigeon made me one too

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: jp sir yoni

i'm goin to have 2 anyway now cos pigeon made me one too

But You're not special!! wink

Pigeon, I personally think you should destroy those extra namebadges, as they will only cause some people to feel left out!!

Whereas, If I'm the only one to have two, EVERYBODY will feel left out, leaving no-one left out... If you catch my drift... wink

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
skully can i be really r00de and ask for another badge as my fal4 one is kinda messed up (had it in te rain a little too much

Written by: bchickpea

linden - costumes? how many are you taking???

im taking two because im greedy tongue

i have and awsome harlequin costume smile which will be worn going there (hopefully with face paint done enroute on teh train tongue) and a pirate one because everyone is going as a pirate and will be fun to have a full crew of us

out of interest anyone going as a captain?

back

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
hate to break it to you ltc but gothfrogette has two. she was special enough to get two at falmouth tongue

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
*wonders what her name badge has on it*

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Nuts!!

I want three, then!!

It's ok, skully, hun, you only need to make two more for me...

ubbangel

See? Innocent face and everything, me!!

wink

Be Water My Friend.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Erm, please might I have one Miss Skully? wink

Please put Mr Chutney on it, rather than Aled smile (Ah heck, do as you will, I'd love anything)

biggrin

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
lol

poor skully - i think me and ltc started a rush frown
sorry hughughughughug and many more for being amazing smile

back

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
Written by: linden rathen

skully can i be really r00de and ask for another badge as my fal4 one is kinda messed up (had it in te rain a little too much

ahem ubbangel is that possible for me too?
Written by: linden rathen

and a pirate one because everyone is going as a pirate and will be fun to have a full crew of us

out of interest anyone going as a captain?

that would be me tongue and froggys my wench biggrin bounce

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
cool can i be first mate? or failing that cabin boy?

yarrrrr

back

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I think some pirates should adopt the names of various captian pugwash characters.

Characters with names like the infamous 'Seaman Stains'.

Well I'd find it funny... wink

Be Water My Friend.

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
i dont know pugwash redface but ill have a silly name biggrin

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
hi the sight is down at the min frown I was trying to find out when it is possible to turn up cos I know of at least one person who has a bus ticket for thus I was under the impression that we were only aloud on the sight on Fri. afternoon??????????????? confused

please help

ps thanks sym got my numbers now hug

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
the site opens at midday on friday Tobi. And everyone needs to be off by 6pm on sunday.

Meh

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
thats what i thaught eep better tell jem she has a megabus booked from bornmoth (she is on holl) for thu.. can any one put her up for the night????

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Captain Pugwash

random pirate name generator

Meh

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
thats not helpfull mister Sweatin' Iggy Napier gurrrrrr

Page: ......