Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival - August 19th -> 21st *TICKETS ONSALE NOW*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello people!! wavehello

=================================

Post Festival Update

Dunc would really, really like all your feedback on the Play Festival on the PLAY web site. So post on the forum there or use the Contact Us form to give as much feedback as you can.

Dom

info update

Cost - £15

Dates - 19th - 21st August 2005

Location - Shrewsbury Agricultural Showground, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

UPDATE 23rd July 2005

Tickets now on sale, go to the website or book via telephone on 07814 018 091

Update - 5th Jan 2005

The site is now up and running at https://www.playfestival.co.uk
there is a forum included so everyone can contribute to the ideas, concepts and development of the festival as a whole. It wouldn't survive without "everyones" involvement so feel free to log on, register and let us know what you'd like from us while you're there.

And to think non of this would have started if I hadn't gotten into HoP and realised how wonderful this scene is, thank you HoP even if you did remove the link from my sig without telling me why, or even telling me rolleyes hug

Update 31st January 2005

Tickets can now be Pre-booked, up to five adult and five free childrens (u14's) can be booked, once they are released for sale you will be given a set time period to buy them before they will be offered to the public. We're still unsure what the time period will be but it will be a reasonable amount of time, such as 6 weeks, from them being released before they will be put back into the ticket pool. Everyone will be advised by email and in various public announcements of the release date well before they're out.

=====================================================

I have been thinking for a while about organising an Object Manipulation (couldn't think how else to describe it!!) Convention sometime next year, and thought this would be the best place to get the ball rolling! (pun pun)

My idea is this......a mini festival for spinners/jugglers etc that's small and laid back enough to enjoy but big and organised enough to get the most out of. Maybe a band/dj or two in a tent, a fire show each night, weekend camping and most importantly lots of workshops, idea exchanges and fun for all the family. Easy going and fun are the objectives.

It wouldn't be poi based, it would be for all object manipulators from hat juggling to ribbon dancing and everything in between and to the sides so no pigeon holing or amimosity between arts will occur.

So what I'd like to know is if I organised, laid out capital etc for a proper weekend festival (Fri -> Sun) would I get enough interest and of course people attending? I obviously can't afford it by myself but if I put up the cash the more people I expect to come the cheaper I could cost it out per person.

I'd like to hope it'd cost no more that £25 each, but obviously the more people we expect to come the cheaper we can make it, I'd much rather it was a tenner than £25! (please note attendance would be a capped limit for safety and comforts sake)

All I'd be looking for is to break even or turn a small profit so it can be piled back into the next one making it even better and also cheaper.

As they say on poipoipoi's website......"it's not capitalism.......it's spherculism"

It would be in a decent sized feild with a remote location so there would be no townie trouble but close enough for easy access from major routes.

I figure if it's in the midlands area it's probably the easiest for everyone geographically although of course it depends what venues we can find and what the consensus is.

If this is the sort of thing folks would like then yell, but please be a serious yell as I'm realistically trying to sort numbers so I can get accurate costing done. There's also a poll I've set up HERE so vote in it if you can please.

If you think it's a little OTT compared to what is generally available such as Spitz and various annual juggling conventions please say so, all opinions have the same importance smile but don't forget to vote

Thanks folks! I hope you like the idea and can help me to make it a success for all those who come *fingers crossed*

If you have any info you think I might be interested in, ie quality venues (any free party goers out there that know good locations?) any ideas for during the convention or feel there's something individual you could offer I'd really appreciate hearing about it either in this thread or by PM. It's the only way I can make sure I'm giving people what they want!

Looking forward to your comments biggrin

Thanks for reading this rather long post hug

weavesmiley juggle :staff: :ribbondance: :contactjuggle: :knifethrowing: :likwiddancing: :stiltwalking: :diablo: :bboys: :clubswinging: :wifeswapping: :etc:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
i dont have a pirate outfit...could be a sailor again tho?

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
aye aye you can and should be

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Aye . . . and you were out in cardiff ? that where I live biggrin

strooSILVER Member
799 posts

Posted:
hell yeah! wicked night out smile gunna go to uni at glamorgan in 2006 (fingers crossed) so we should meet up for a spin!

totally offtopic post sorry! anyway Play fest... hehe

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
my moneys gone out but no tickets smile

so am i a pirate again? ubblol

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
ive got my piraty thigns smile woot:)

jsut gotta make ma harlequin costume now to scare ppl with MWAHAHAHHAHA

back

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
I feel I shall have to go costumeless as I can't think of anything to go as. I guess it's back to the old jeans and camo shirt combo then.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Maybe a Millhouse costume for me, Then again it'd be more fun to try and be trippy hippy

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Are we going to have some way of making it easy to find everyone and have a hop camp with maybe a flag or something so we don't all have to trek around looking for everyone??

I am happy to make said flag if someone else provides a pole to hang it from wink (and tells me what to put on it)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
If no tickets contact dunc on the play website

here

and ask. i was told today by strugz to bring my booking number and proof of address coz dunc doesn't want to lose tickets in the post, which is a good idea.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
I have a 15ft telescopic pole sat here. Makes for a pretty good flagpole. Problem is I won't be there till about 8 on friday but I can bring it along easily as it's shorter than my staff when collapsed.
As for the flag then I guess the HOP Logo would work pretty good.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
woooooot biggrin 6 sleeps

gotta make costumes, buy things, withdraw money

still not got the day off work frown

back

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
im thinking a cheeky cowgirl outfit might be the way forward.....i make a crap pirate......!
B x

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

strooSILVER Member
799 posts

Posted:
be a sailor like me!!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
**NOTICE TO PAY ATTENTION TO AND QUOTE A FEW TIMES CUZ ITS SO DAMN BUSY IN HERE YOU BUNCH OF GOSSIPERS wink )

There's been a problem with the tickets, so much so that they will NOT BE SENT OUT. So, we'll be emailing everyone (or posting if you haven't got an email address) a program to print out that'll have all the workshop times, show details, , directions, site map etc. Don't worry if you don't have a printer cuz they'll be available on site too.

Sorry for the confusion that this might cause, but if this is the worst thing that happens I'll be a happy chappy smile

Please bring your ticket references along with you (the ones you got when you booked and wrote on the back of your cheque ie 1234-56) and some proof of who you are, nothing to special just something with your name on....we're not Glasto after all wink If you've booked in advance and need to pay on the gate please don't forget your numbers and id, thanks!

I hope everyone is happy and understands, any problems, questions, anything, you can email pm or call me on the number on the play website.

hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
How the heck am I meant to prove that my name is cantus fraggle?

Is a tesco's clubcard acceptable ID?

Meh

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
No, have you not got it written ony our feet?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thanks for that Dunc hug

Hope things are going ok - I'm sure it's all a bit stressful and hectic.

But we're going to have a great time and it's going to be splendid... so see you next week biggrin

Take care
Clare xx

Getting to the other side smile

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
very nice Matty B, well done. I'd like to see you (or any attractive males, or females come to think of it) dressed up as firemen/ladies. I like that. yellow helmets. great! devil

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
so i'm not attractive frown . . . .
My firemans outfit has a red helmet so thats no good . . .

wink

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I think you're deliberately misunderstanding Miss Rhymes in order to fish for compliments Mr B.

Meh

Bugishave fur, will huggle
231 posts

Posted:
I have a pirate costume. But i don't have anything with my name on. Does that mean i have to stay outside all weekend?

eek

I have my sidekick now. I think I call him Sidekick!!

"Lets get Jinky with it!"

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Bugis, did you find your eyepatch?

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
hee hee nearly made my costume - not made the pirate one yet smile but got lotsa daft tacky bits to go with it (i have a hook biggrin)

bounce not long now smile cant wait - im gunna need some fun after exam results eek

back

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
yey cant wait now only a few sleeps away
Non-Https Image Link

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
eek mr bugis embraces us with his presence! bounce

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i have a captain's hat. but i dont think i will wear it. My costume so far consists of a pair of jeans and a smelly hoody. i'm going to be a smelly jojo. poor me! redface
I might wrap wool around my hair, to save me washing it. sounds a bit time consuming though!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
rolleyes me never rolleyes eek

biggrin all in good humour

Only a few days left before we get to PLAY . . .

Looking forward to seeing you all there hug

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
After seeing THIS picture again I declaire PLAY the festival of hats! And no Strugz I don't mean that old manky one you never take off your head ubblol I swear thats welded to your scalp!

[edit]

Damn I just looked through the Ireland pics and noticed you aren't wearing the hat in any of them Strugz so I have to take that last statement back. redface

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i haven't got my costume sorted yet but i don't think i can be bothered to be individual and will just be a pirate (maybe a parrot though).

i will have to indulge in a bit of hat wearing tho

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Page: ......