Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival - August 19th -> 21st *TICKETS ONSALE NOW*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello people!! wavehello

=================================

Post Festival Update

Dunc would really, really like all your feedback on the Play Festival on the PLAY web site. So post on the forum there or use the Contact Us form to give as much feedback as you can.

Dom

info update

Cost - £15

Dates - 19th - 21st August 2005

Location - Shrewsbury Agricultural Showground, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

UPDATE 23rd July 2005

Tickets now on sale, go to the website or book via telephone on 07814 018 091

Update - 5th Jan 2005

The site is now up and running at https://www.playfestival.co.uk
there is a forum included so everyone can contribute to the ideas, concepts and development of the festival as a whole. It wouldn't survive without "everyones" involvement so feel free to log on, register and let us know what you'd like from us while you're there.

And to think non of this would have started if I hadn't gotten into HoP and realised how wonderful this scene is, thank you HoP even if you did remove the link from my sig without telling me why, or even telling me rolleyes hug

Update 31st January 2005

Tickets can now be Pre-booked, up to five adult and five free childrens (u14's) can be booked, once they are released for sale you will be given a set time period to buy them before they will be offered to the public. We're still unsure what the time period will be but it will be a reasonable amount of time, such as 6 weeks, from them being released before they will be put back into the ticket pool. Everyone will be advised by email and in various public announcements of the release date well before they're out.

=====================================================

I have been thinking for a while about organising an Object Manipulation (couldn't think how else to describe it!!) Convention sometime next year, and thought this would be the best place to get the ball rolling! (pun pun)

My idea is this......a mini festival for spinners/jugglers etc that's small and laid back enough to enjoy but big and organised enough to get the most out of. Maybe a band/dj or two in a tent, a fire show each night, weekend camping and most importantly lots of workshops, idea exchanges and fun for all the family. Easy going and fun are the objectives.

It wouldn't be poi based, it would be for all object manipulators from hat juggling to ribbon dancing and everything in between and to the sides so no pigeon holing or amimosity between arts will occur.

So what I'd like to know is if I organised, laid out capital etc for a proper weekend festival (Fri -> Sun) would I get enough interest and of course people attending? I obviously can't afford it by myself but if I put up the cash the more people I expect to come the cheaper I could cost it out per person.

I'd like to hope it'd cost no more that £25 each, but obviously the more people we expect to come the cheaper we can make it, I'd much rather it was a tenner than £25! (please note attendance would be a capped limit for safety and comforts sake)

All I'd be looking for is to break even or turn a small profit so it can be piled back into the next one making it even better and also cheaper.

As they say on poipoipoi's website......"it's not capitalism.......it's spherculism"

It would be in a decent sized feild with a remote location so there would be no townie trouble but close enough for easy access from major routes.

I figure if it's in the midlands area it's probably the easiest for everyone geographically although of course it depends what venues we can find and what the consensus is.

If this is the sort of thing folks would like then yell, but please be a serious yell as I'm realistically trying to sort numbers so I can get accurate costing done. There's also a poll I've set up HERE so vote in it if you can please.

If you think it's a little OTT compared to what is generally available such as Spitz and various annual juggling conventions please say so, all opinions have the same importance smile but don't forget to vote

Thanks folks! I hope you like the idea and can help me to make it a success for all those who come *fingers crossed*

If you have any info you think I might be interested in, ie quality venues (any free party goers out there that know good locations?) any ideas for during the convention or feel there's something individual you could offer I'd really appreciate hearing about it either in this thread or by PM. It's the only way I can make sure I'm giving people what they want!

Looking forward to your comments biggrin

Thanks for reading this rather long post hug

weavesmiley juggle :staff: :ribbondance: :contactjuggle: :knifethrowing: :likwiddancing: :stiltwalking: :diablo: :bboys: :clubswinging: :wifeswapping: :etc:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
One question Bug

Im real interested in the wife swapping workshop but i dont have a wife - is that a problem? wink

Sounds like a great idea to me, you can count on at least 20 peeps from our neck of woods biggrin

As for offering to sort stuff, anything we can do we will, but perhaps i can run a Matrix workshop for Ben tongue wink

On a serious note (yes i can do it sometimes):

The location will need to be good, i would recommend having a chat to a couple of the dance festi organisers to see if the land they use is available as most of them seem to go on up the midlands, as you will need camping space, performing space, welfare facilities, fire points, ahhhhh the list goes on.

Set up costs for summit like this are big Bug, but im sure youve looked into that, besides if people on here are genuanly interested im sure "outside investors" may be interested in lending a hand smile

Anyhow, good luck biggrin

An have some of these hug hug for having the balls to take on such a mission biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Would like to vote but is restricted area...

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'd be well up for it - Firetoys ran a similar thing earlier this year which I just missed out on...

I guess it's tricky - the bigger it gets, the more "things" you need and the price rockets as does all the Health and Safety malarky.

But aaaaaaanyway, I'd be up for and would be happy to donate lots of pretty UV lighting for a UV play tent if you so desired smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys! hug Thats why I said it'd be capped. I'm initially planning (erm...hoping!) for it to be around 200ish visitors + support peeps. Make it nice and easy to start with and if all goes well, hey, it might become an annual event.

Besides too big is too impersonal and no fun for me cuz I'd be running round all day like a loon!

I'll be looking for some support financially but there's no point asking till I know the scene wants it. I know how hard and risky it can be, we just held our 5th annual VW festival....it was a flop. 3000 visitors last year, barely 500 this year. No reason why, it just didn't happen frown

Parafin fairy you have to register there to go in, if you haven't you should cuz it's a wicked site and I'm sure you'd like it smile

Strugz - it's ok if you don't have a wife, you can bring your Mom wink And my balls are only slightly larger than normal, it's more to do with stupidity, blind faith and a strong community to fall back on grouphug

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
1st request....anyone wanna help with the website? I have zero experience in this and would like someone to put something togehter from my designs (+ their own imagination) and host it somewhere cheap. The site won't handle tansactions, it'll be merely info.

2nd request....what would people like it to be called? We have one ide for a name but it's a little fire orientated which takes away a lot of whats hopefully going on that's not fire.

Our suggestion, which is based on the names of some local feilds......The Firey Fields Festival

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
I know enough real nice dj's that would love to do something like this and i cant see them charging as they mostly just do it cos they like to do it biggrin

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Can help you with Number 1.

Number 2 - Errrr - "PLAY"
(That's post-modernist naming that is...)

smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
... as in
"Who's coming to PLAY?"

"Let's all go to PLAY this weekend"

"What are you doing this weekend?"
"I'm going to PLAY"

See, it works on so many levels...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Can also help with number 1, for a CV please click

As for number 2 - im crap at names so ill just vote for one someone else puts up wink PLAY is good so far biggrin

Djs are a must, i have a couple who would do it for love not money also biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
oooo sounds wicked cool, if you set a date ish i might be able to swing things so im on this side of the world for it, ill pick up a wife or two before then so i can play swaps smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
How about a collaboration band with Strugz on guitar, Durbs on drums... Anyone here sing or play bass? Mags up for some vocal action? smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
someone say DJ?? I know a pretty good one that will pretty much do anythng I say.. thats love for you wink

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Dubs you've helped with both number 1 and deffinately helped me with my number 2 wink

PLAY is a wicked name, I think we could be onto a winner there clap

oooh two offers of web helpiness. You can fight it out between yourselves, or work together and be doubly brilliant!

DJ's piling in, (that's pile not pill wink) good good. What music style would be prefferred? (hopes nobody says psytrance) *tremble*

RosscoOfficial HoP hobbity potato monster!
434 posts

Posted:
i know some great psytrance dj's who will pay us to come and dj at our little festival! wink biggrin

O.B.E.S.E. Official Potato man.

Remeber kids.... Its all fun and games until someone loses a bol**ck! biggrin

434 posts

Posted:
oh sorry i thought you said i hope everybody says psytrance. redface

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
spank you knows why clart!!

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Well sounds nice - but you seem to have picked the one date next year that I definitely can't make it - my bruvs getting married that weekend I think!

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
It's ok Kat, I only put that date on cuz you have to put a date in when you post a new thread in events or it moans at you and won't enter the thread without it. The date is to be confirmed, but will be sometime in the summer lovely sunshine sunny

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
my fella plays psy-trance he's part of 180 in Brighton frown so I guess thats out - but he's got a huge collection and also links to lots and lots of other dj's.. could get the Legion of Dub involved too.. maybe if you were interested.. and of course if they were interested..

first question tho.. have you got access to a rig? If not I know at least two that could be asked.. Fushion and Co-ex (acid techno - Brighton way)..
EDITED_BY: Stix* (1093446932)

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
sounds wicked bug! biggrin i'd love to get involved but have a degree to do, surf club to run and poi nights to organise already... rolleyes i could still help out at the time tho.

PLAY sounds good and psytrance would be v.welcome tongue but i reckon breakbeat, hip hop and chill out should also be present!
whatever you decide on it's an awesome idea. i'm lookin forward to it already... nice one!clap

grouphug

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
YEAH - Chilled out drum n' bass in the mornings!!

Right - anyone know a really good bass player? We can do some ad lib DnB - mmmmmm live drum and bass

(The Bays at Beautiful Days - woooooooooo!!)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

434 posts

Posted:
yup i know a couple of very good bass players, what do you want me to do with them? does it involve paraffin in any way? ubbangel

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
I think the dreadzone soundsystem would be rather nice!!!

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i reckon we could get an improvised voicebox jazz band together pretty easily... biggrin

*tst-t-t-tst-t-t-tst-t-t-tst-t-t-tst-t-t-tst-t-t-bad-da-da-da-da-da----boom!*

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I can play some techno if you want. Fat, bouncy stuff smile But note that having a sound system will make it a lot harder to sort out legally... although if it was small it'd help. Fushion would be good...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
yeah it won't have to be massive, and if we're all good boys and girls we won't get no trouble. This is an invitation only party, ie once it's costed I'll say how much, folk can send me a cheque or summink and we all turn up with an invite. All in advance only and then I can be sure of limiting the numbers. We have a tried and tested legal method of selling beer without a license (thank god for loop-holes) and hopefully we won't be in need of other licenses either. Investigations are underway of course and it's differnent for every authority but legality shouldn't be an issue if I do my job properly biggrin

I think a healthy mix of electronic and real instrument music will be best. From Big Beat to DnB to Rock to Chill.

Who/what is Fushion spriralx?

Thanks for the offer Dubb, I'll be in touch sometime in the future biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ok we have a new name in the running for title of this shindig.....PLOMP.

P oi
L ike
O bject
M anipulation
P arty

Whadddya reackon guys? Please vote with your fingers. Any other suggestions anyone?

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
What about "OW!"? You know, the noise you make when you smack yourself somewhere painful with your poi? ubbloco ubblol

Fushion is a sound system, Stix knows them I think...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Fushion is a local sound system, who are my friends.. my fella is also a Dj for them from time to time.. really nice people, always up for a shin dig..

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
are they expensive? If you could pm me some contact details I'd really appreciate it

Cheers! hug

Page: ...